How much do your parents know?

Jean

My mom knows more about the guys than my father and stepmother. My stepmom heard from a coworker that Billie Joe had masturbated on stage before, BIAB, and was under the impression that he just yanked his penis out of his pants (I didn't deny this assumption because then she would know I had seen this episode unfold). My mom, on the other hand, has said "You'll have to show me that part." Hah. I thought neither of my parents knew Billie identified as bisexual, and I tried to keep them from knowing, only to learn that my dad had done some research on them when I started liking their music and knew even before I did. My stepmom has said she hoped Green Day would be a phase for me (six years later, yeah, probably not).

Unfortunately, in a society like ours I feel like I have to keep some things secret about my very favorite band, otherwise I'll face disapproval, which I probably would deserve anyway because I tend to be stricter on what I allow myself to listen to.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green Bay is better than having friends say Green Gay :ermm:
Not really, I don't look at the word gay as a negative quality. In 2012, it's almost a compliment on bravery than an insult :P

Oh yeah, and The Network's "Disease is Punishment" DVD. I bought that online when I was... I dunno, 17 maybe? Came to pick it up in-store, and the clerk was like "are you over 18?" "No..."

My mom came in and got the thing for me in all its nastiness.

Not really, I don't look at the word gay as a negative quality. In 2012, it's almost a compliment on bravery than an insult :P

That is a great answer.

Though people who are saying it in that way likely don't mean it in the way you do.

I talk to my parents heaps about Green Day. They know some stuff about them, but not everything. I don't tell them some stuff Green Day do, ie: hitchin' a ride from BIAB. They would probably make me never watch it again.

Though people who are saying it in that way likely don't mean it in the way you do.
It means that Green Day likes guys, and guess what, they do. Billie have been making out with boys onstage to provoke anti gay people since the 90'.

And to keep it on topic, I showed my friend a compilation of Billie kissing dudes. She liked it.

My mom and brother were all matter-of-factly to me a few weeks ago, "Did you hear? That guy from Green Day came out! He's gay!" I humored them but at the same time wondered where in the hell they got that from. :lol:

I never really talk to my family about the music I'm into, let alone band members though. They know I like Green Day but I don't think they know much else.

It means that Green Day likes guys, and guess what, they do. Billie have been making out with boys onstage to provoke anti gay people since the 90'.

And to keep it on topic, I showed my friend a compilation of Billie kissing dudes. She liked it.

Fair point, I just don't like when people use the word derogatorily, regardless of how others may perceive it.

And of course she did. XD.

I keep showing my parents Green Day's Instagram pictures. They don't really care, but sometimes they think they're funny or cute or whatever. Pretty standard fare, there. It is nice having parents who don't mind, though.

My mom likes them, but my dad really doesn't. My mom took me and a friend to American Idiot and loved it just as much as I did. As for my dad, for awhile he kept telling me that Billie is in rehab for heroine and crack, and how bad he is, etc... even though I already knew he was in rehab.

I still haven't let my parents listen to Dos in the car, though, because of Fuck Time :lol:

My mother has no idea about Green Day and my stepfather is a farmer so he doesn't even know what music is. Everything after The Beetles is just noise to them.

My parents are neutral to Green Day. My mom likes radio music and that so... :ermm: yeah. I keep my obsession internal though, and I wouldn't let my mom know I have a folder with 1000+ Green Day pics :lol: They know I'm a Green Day fan and that I like them a lot but they don't know how obsessed I am, I guess/hope.

My entire family knows that I love Green Day. My dad doesn't care at all and I'll occasionally show my mom a video or picture that I think she would find interesting. That's about it though. Everyone in my family is pretty open to all sorts of music so they don't mind listening to whatever I listen to.

My dad just... Doesn't care about music, I guess :L he's probably aware of them because I have so many shirts related to em, but beyond that he'd have no clue. My mum, on the other hand, knows I love them and has this year realised its not just a phase I'm going through. Hell, she bought a pair of UNO Converse and the Green Day calendar for Christmas without me even letting on that I wanted them :')

My mum's the one who got me into Green Day! She took me to see them in '09 when I was 12 and Billie mooned the crowd :D She always gets me Green Day merch and I don't think she mind the excessive swearing too much (she didn't like horseshoes & hangrenades) She also knows about Billie's rehab and call him "a big eijit" ha ha. My dad doesn't listen to them but he knows about them and always jokingly complains that they steal songs (Waiting, Brutal Love etc..)

My mum also took me to see AI the musical this November which was slightly awkward because of the sex scene and all the expletives but naw, she loves them!

My family knows about my obsession. My father doesn't care, but sometimes he jokes about it. My mother knows them and some songs of theirs, and sometimes I find her singing some GD songs :lol:

Ah, and it was my mum that got me into GD! I knew only 21 Guns (I heard it on MTV), my mum made me know American Idiot, Holiday, Know Your Enemy and Last Of The American Girls. Then I found Green Day: Rockband and this is how I got into GD.

I played ¡Dos! the whole way through on a car journey and mum said nothing except a few "Oh, that's a good song"s.

Got my whole family into them once I discovered them. My mom took me and my brother to our first concert which was Green Day.

My parents know actually really a lot about Green Day. My dad actually also have one Green Day t-shirt. My parents were actually Green Day fan even sooner than me and they got me into green day.

It was weird like 6 years ago when we were on helicopter fliing over Grand Canyon and my mother says (music was in helicopter): listen to Good RIddance. And she was like so happy that Green Day are playing in the helicopter.

My parents also watched Bullet in a Bible and Awesome as Fuck too..

And they have to watch green day posters all the time in my room and on my doors and also one in living room, but they like it. :P

And my parents also know that i'm obsesed with green day and sometimes they jokes about it a bit.

And we also played Green Day Rock Band on Wii together sometimes. :lol:

We also go together to the Green Day concerts. :)

My mother knows that Green Day exist. That's enough for her :lol: She was with me in Berlin, but she didn't want to go to the concert.

My parents both like green day. Dad has seen them live 4 times so far, mum is going to see them for the first time next june, she's so excited :P

My parents do know that I'm somewhat of a huge Green Day fan, but I don't think they realize how much of an influence they are even of my daily life (for example being on this site every freaking day and so much more) .

And that Billie acting inappropriate thing... I was 13 when I went to see them this summer so I had to take my dad with me and was so afraid Billie'd do that on stage. Fortunately he didn't. Oh gawd. :lol:

And my dad loved it, he'd do it again if I wanted him to go with me.

Oh and: I showed my mom only songs like Good Riddance, BOBD, 21 Guns..... and whatnot to be allowed to go. She shall never know about the other stuff :ninja:

Archived