How much do your parents know?

Jean

My mom loves American Idiot but my dad hates Green Day, he says that Green Day is a band for kids
this is laughable, show her Longview, Fuck time, Brutal Love, Whatsername and some other songs about sex and depression. GD is for everyone, with the massive quantity of songs and diversity they've put out, the argument falls on it's own logic.

Sorry to say it, but your dad sounds like a shallow asshole. And he probably likes Coldplay.

Break free, man.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, y dad bought me the Ultimate Box Set of ¡Uno! ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! so he knows like a 50% about Green Day, but my mom.... the other day she listened to the radio and someoned mentioned Louis Armstrong, and she said : Is he the guy that you like, and I was like ''Are you fucking Kidding me?''

I started this thread because I was curious...How much do your parents or anyone else in your life know about Green Day?

My family knows I love them and I think they kind of figure I have a crush on Billie Joe because of all the posters I used to have on my walls (took them down to switch bedrooms but never bothered putting them back + a lot of them got wrinkled and wrecked).

They know that Green Day swears and they don't care. My mom knows about Billie's meltdown and rehab (they mentioned it on the news and she laughed at his Justin Bieber comment). She doesn't know about him dropping his pants on stage.

In fact, every time I watch Bullet in a Bible, I always do it alone because the awkwardness would be too much for me during the Hitchin A Ride part. That came out when I was 14 and I'm 20 now and I still don't want them to know about it. Same with Billie humping the camera all "you like that bitch?!"

When I got Awesome as Fuck last year, I had to watch it alone at first for this reason but there wasn't anything inappropriate in it.

wow, you are prude...

Well.. they've seen BIAB. They know everything about tour (the sausage, the meeting with Jason, Billie Joe mooning and such...). They also know about Billie Joe going to rehab.
Even my grandparents know about tour, but they don't know what happened - they're quite old fashioned. They know BOBD though.

Interesting answers. My 87 y/o grandmother saw Green Day when they performed on that talent show on tv this year....She said that tiny guy sure could sing! She enjoyed them, which amused me greatly.

I would've figured that most of the younger fans would have parents that listened and liked them as well. I find it highly amusing that in my house, it's my kid that doesn't like Green Day. He's into Katy Perry and Gaga...blah Oh well, it could be worse I suppose...at least he's not a Beiber fan.

I started this thread because I was curious...How much do your parents or anyone else in your life know about Green Day?

My family knows I love them and I think they kind of figure I have a crush on Billie Joe because of all the posters I used to have on my walls (took them down to switch bedrooms but never bothered putting them back + a lot of them got wrinkled and wrecked).

They know that Green Day swears and they don't care. My mom knows about Billie's meltdown and rehab (they mentioned it on the news and she laughed at his Justin Bieber comment). She doesn't know about him dropping his pants on stage.

In fact, every time I watch Bullet in a Bible, I always do it alone because the awkwardness would be too much for me during the Hitchin A Ride part. That came out when I was 14 and I'm 20 now and I still don't want them to know about it. Same with Billie humping the camera all "you like that bitch?!"

When I got Awesome as Fuck last year, I had to watch it alone at first for this reason but there wasn't anything inappropriate in it.

There are certain songs I would never let my parents listen to: Like A Rat Does Cheese, Platypus, for example. Hell even the masturbation line in Longview is awkward enough.

I would have loved to see them live back when I was 14 but at the same time I'm glad I didn't because my parents (or an adult supervisor they knew and trusted) would have had to taken me and I don't know how they would react to the masturbation on stage. I think they might be amused by Billie mooning the crowd but beyond that...

I should add that my parents aren't all prudes. I've watched True Blood with them countless times, which is still very awkward.

My dad listened to Its Fuck Time before he gave me the album....

Anyone who knows me even a little, knows i love Green Day. That includes my parents, all 3 of whom (divorced) like the American Idiot album. My real Dad less so but he likes their live stuff. his real music loves are Queen and Abba so Green Day don't quite fit that in his eyes.

Pretty much everyone else i know (apart from on here) either doesn't know Green Day, or if they do they just know American Idiot (the song).

People who don't know them always remark on the name, either thinking it's stupid or something to do with environmental stuff

My parents have pretty awesome taste in music. My dad actually introduced me to Green Day. I was 12 at the time, and while I had liked a lot of what my parents introduced me to (Metallica comes to mind first), I hadn't really ventured out and found MY music yet. Well, Green Day was my music. A month or so after I started listening to them, my mom got me International Superhits because she knew I was interested, and the rest was history.

My mom LOVES Green Day. She has all their cds. We saw AI twice as a family, and when Billie played St. Jimmy I swear that she fangirled more over how awesome he was more than I did, haha. My dad loves them, too, but just from my observations he prefers their newer music than their older music.

My parents buy me tickets to their concerts and are always excited to go see them. They think they're an amazing live band (they happen to be correct!) and truly enjoy it. We're taking my little cousin to a concert for this tour and I'm so excited to share that experience with him. He's 16 and is a big Green Day fan. Its going to be awesome.

As for the "embarassing stuff" people are discussing - I mean, me and my parents witnessed Billie's lovely Hitchin' a Ride performance first hand (though I'm positive at the time they weren't thrilled about their 12 year old daughter seeing that). But like I said, they love seeing them live so I'm assuming they aren't bothered by the on stage goings-on. They definitely don't care about Billie cursing or anything. I haven't watched BIAB with them even though they've seen them live, but that's mostly just because I avoid watching anything remotely sexual with them simply because I feel uncomfortable. It doesn't have anything to do with them, its a me thing, haha. I'm probably going to still be that way when I'm 50 when it comes to watching stuff with them.

As for Billie's substance abuse - I don't know. I haven't talked about it much with them. My mom asks me every so often if I've heard anything new about him, but she does it kind of awkwardly. I think she acts that way mostly because she knows how important he is to me and knows its tough stuff going on right now. But my parents know Billie means a lot to me - they know that this hasn't lessened my love for Green Day in any way so even if they feel weird about the situation, they haven't voiced that.

My parents know I LOVE Green Day, but I don't think they could ever possibly know the extent, because that is somewhat impossible. I feel like I'm not very good at verbally expressing my emotions or something, because I've never been able to really put into words how hugely important these guys are to me.

It is pretty much impossible for my friends to NOT know I love Green Day, but they don't have the same musical interests as I do. I generally don't talk about GD around them just because I tend to get annoyed when they go on for too long about One Direction or whatever. As much as I adore Green Day I try to keep in mind that unless you love a band, you probably don't want to hear about their entire history.

Oh! And I should mention that my late grandmother really loved them. She didn't know much about their music but whenever I told her that they'd be performing at an event, she'd always tune in to watch. One day she even told me "Guess what? I was flipping channels and saw Billie Joe playing with Elvis Costello!" She was pretty darn cool.

All my family know I love Green Day, my Dad likes American Idiot and sometimes asks me to put it on in the car. Mhe knows they swear a bit and doesn't mind but knows nothing of some of the worse lyrics. Haha.

My Mum doesn't think Green Day have any kind of bad language or anything.

Either way they don't object me listening to it at all. :)

My Mum likes them and my Dad likes some of their songs. I think they know When I Come Around, Good Riddance, Minority, Warning, All the AI singles, 21 Guns and Know Your Enemy.

My Dad put WMUWSE on his iTunes and he was singing Warning one time as well. They know Green Day are my favorite band, they're actually my sisters favorite band as well (not her favorite artists though) but she only really listens to the ones she hears on the radio. They don't really know anything about the trilogy but they know Billie Joe is in rehab, except my Dad, they might have forgotten now though. They don't really care what I listen to, they bought AI for my sister when she was 9. We heard a live version of Minority on the radio and towards the end Billie Joe was yelling at the crowd and my Mum started making fun of him but yeah, they don't really care

Not sure if my family knows exactly how much I like them...well, at least not my dad, because well...I don't really know. My brother is a casual fan and we can have a conversation about them, and my mom is aware of the fact that I find Billie attractive. :P

Oh Christ, my mom listened to American Idiot more than I did when it came out :lol: And she knows my GD friends, I talk about them all the time. They know I post on here, they know about all the GD shit I buy, whatever. :lol:

MIne would not approve, if they had the first clue who Green Day was. That being said, I am an adult with three small children of my own. I let them listen to a few songs, but they are all under age 8. My 8 year old likes "That song about September" and everytime my four year old hears any song he says "Is this Green Day?" There are a lot of songs I would never let my kids hear until they are a lot older. I would think there would be a lot of parents of teenagers that are fans since they are close to the age of the guys in the band, if they liked that kind of music when they were younger.

Everyone who's parents at least like Green Day should be really happy.
My mum..well,she knows them,once I showed her some Green Day t-shirts,she didn't like them(except for the skulls t-shirt of 21 CB.).I guess all she knows,is that I like them very much because she sees my posters & AI drawing & badge on my desk.I think she likes songs like WMUWSE,BOBD,21 Guns & The Forgotten when they're on the radio.
My dad...once we fought 'cause I wanted to buy an 21CB t-shirt(with Christian & Gloria kissing.),he didn't like it & he didn't buy it me.I was so angry & when he told me "Okay,if you want it so bad,I'll buy it for you!" I just said "You don't understand.". He still doesn't.I don't know how he reacted when he saw my posters.When I listen to music,I avoid answer him what I listen to.And when he sees it,he says nothing.He probably likes some of their songs like my mum but nothing more.
So,basically,they know nothing.Not even how much I love them.That's also a reason,I don't have a t-shirt or something.Well,I know it's kinda sad but that's my life,woohoo.
And the sarcasm is,that they got me into rock music(in general) and they love rock music.I don't know what's the problem with Green Day.

My friends on the other hand know how much I love them.I used to know 2 girls who liked them much(one of them gave me AI,Dookie,BIAB & IS to copy them.) but now both of them stopped listening to them.I just have my bff who likes drawing stuff by them & she always asks me what Green Day are up to.She lets me talk about them,show her videos and photos and she's convinced that they'll come one day here for a concert and that I'll see them live.

My parents know I like the band (I now have an uno, dos, tre poster on my bedroom wall thanks to my friend) but they don't know the true extent of my love for the band. Everything I have that is green day I have bought for myself or recieved from friends. I do lots of GD drawings but I put them in my drawngs folder which my parents never have and never will see.

I do think it's my fault my parents don't know, I close myself off from them, my other love (Starkid) is also unknown to them and it's because I just don't talk to them about my likes.

My dad is (in an unknowing way) thankful I got into green day, I like to think they matured my muscal taste and I can know have in depth conversations about The Beatles (my dad's favourite band) with him. He was also very impressed when I told him I wanted some of The Who's albums.

My mum knows about Billie's rehab because it was on the telly text and I asked her to stop flcking news stories so I could read it (silly me didn't have my glasses on).

My friends all know I love GD, 2 of my friends are fans and 1 likes to ask about them and asked if I would lend her my iPod in biology so she could hear the trilogy, all my other friends have learned to accept my crazy obsession :lol:

My mum's my touring buddy. We experience most of our Green Day love as a pair :P Don't speak to my dad at all so I don't really care, but pretty sure the one thing he knows about me is that I'm a big GD fan. ha.

My parents know that I love Green Day and they like them too... They think that the band is funny. They came with me at my first Green Day concert and my mother that it was the best concert she has seen in her life. :happy: She bought tickets for her and me at my birthday...we're still waiting for the date! My friends know how much I love Green Day but they don't listen to the band.

What a nice page own!

Well my dad is amazed that the band have taught me English, and he knows that i think alot about them but he doesnt talk about it. And my mom doesnt even know who Billie Joe is. Even thou my grandma knows alot about them n_n, she has seen BIAB with me lots of times and she calls Billie "the green eyed KID", she thinks he is 25 or 28 :lol: , she likes King For a Day and she bought me the concert ticket.

My best friend is the one who knows how much they mean to me, and my other friends know about my obsession and sometimes they make fun of them but not a big deal, they also ask for random news and even sometimes give me Green Day related things, so its cool :shy:

Both my parents know that i love Green Day. They're not big fans but they do enjoy some of their songs, especially BOBD. I took my mum to my first Green Day concert. She loved it and it was a great experience for her. Oh, whenever a green day song comes on the radio, my dad sometimes calls me and puts the phone near the radio so i can listen. I love that :P Next year at the Emirates show in London, i'm taking my mum and bro which they're looking forward to :D

Well, my mom isn't a really big "rock" fan of any sorts. And my dad only like 60-70's rock. Like Led Zeppelin and The Who and bands of that nature. But he has told me that his favorite song is Holiday and my mom has said she really likes the song American Idiot. However, my mom is still fascinated by the fact that I am in love with Billie when he is old enough to be my dad. My reply? *get a picture of Billie Joe* This man...*points* is a sex god. I will love him until he's 90!!! :D

Both my parents know that i love Green Day. They're not big fans but they do enjoy some of their songs, especially BOBD. I took my mum to my first Green Day concert. She loved it and it was a great experience for her. Oh, whenever a green day song comes on the radio, my dad sometimes calls me and puts the phone near the radio so i can listen. I love that :P Next year at the Emirates show in London, i'm taking my mum and bro which they're looking forward to :D

Good Riddance was playing at the grocery store once. My mom thought it was important enough to text me about it :P

They know a lot. My mom went with me to NYC to see AI when Billie was St. Jimmy, they know of all the Green Day related trips I've taken and they know how much I love them. They also know some of my Green Day friends from here.

I've kinda made my mom into a fan, she's come to like them since NYC. I don't know about my dad though, he hasn't really voiced an opinion.

Archived