How much do your parents know?

Jean

My family knows about my obsession with Green Day. My christmas presents were 80% Green Day stuff and my mom even called me from work when she found out that Green Day is going to play in my hometown. They went on a 10 hour trip with me so I can see them in Germany. My mother heard about Billies "breakdown" on TV. At first she was a little bit shocked but now I don't think she cares at all.

Of course my friends know about it too. I talk about Green Day at least once in a week and tell them the latest news. Some days ago a girl from my class I usually don't talk to asked me if I'm going to the Green Day concert in May. We once played a question game or something like that in class and somebody had to answer what would make my day and they said - to meet Green Day ^^

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom knows I'm crazy about Green Day, she doesn't like the fact that they swear but she doesn't mind me hearing that. I showed her Billie's meltdown she didn't really like it but then when I told her he went to rehab she thought he made a good choice by seeking for professional help (she's a psychologist). She went to my first Green Day concert with me because I was 12 and she even liked it, at first she wasn't supposed to come with me but my uncle who was supposed to was sick so he gave her his ticket and then my stepfather tried to sell them in front of the venue (God I hated him for that) but my mom eventually decided to go in with me :dance: . My dad doesn't know about Green Day I think because I don't live with him but since I'm moving to Orange County in 2 months to live with him he's gonna hear about Green Day :creep::D

mom loves their slower songs (BOBD,21 Guns, Oh Love, etc) and she also noted that they make music which is not nauseating. Dad also loves oh love.

my dad don't say anything about them, my mom is 12 years that says that they are a band only for young teens :dry: and says that 20 years old people should feel childish listening to them. So I've never talked about my love for them at home....

My friends know about that love and says anything bad, there is someone also who love them like I do :wub:

My boy knows about my obsession but he's happy for me, and also he is loving them more than before because I always talk about them to him!

My parents are mad into Green Day. My mum has all of their albums on her mp3 player, and my dad has Uno and Tré in his car :P

And they both went to see them with me last time they toured. They might not go looking for every little bit of news, but they do like them.

My mother knows I love Green Day, but the day when Tre came out, I got home, and she got mad and said 'you know what, you're spending all your money on these guys, put the cd in and let us all listen to your special green day people' like lightening I made a playlist with clean GD songs from every album, and played them so loud the whole house could hear. Half an hour later, my mom walks into the room dancing and playing air guitar XDD best moment of my life: seeing my mum rock out to Green Day :D

My dad always says he loves Green Day..but I think he lies :ninja:

My parents don't really know how crazy I am about Green Day..except for the fact, that I own all records.

Haha, this is a great thread!

Well, my dad knows a lot about Green Day, in terms of their music, how long they've been going, a bit if trivia, that kind of thing. He always lets me know what reviews they get in magazines and if he's heard about any upcoming gigs. He's not a big GD fan, but he loves music and so can appreciate just about anything. He knows about Billie's rehab, along with the general strong drug theme in their music- I had a long discussion about it with him on out way to Cardiff uni last month - I generally don't believe it phases him that much. Yet at the
same time, I think it does. He has suggested on occasions that he finds it weird that I, in his eyes, a 'conventional, Muslim wannabe doctor' would find so much solace in music that's so raw.

As for my mother. She's a THOUSAND times more conservativel. My dad is quite laid-back by comparison; he has to be, because his CD collection probably contains songs and albums with far worse themes. I remember listening to sex on fire by kings of Leon on the radio in the car with her and my brother once, and she put it off and gave us a loooong lecture about how listening to inappropriate music is Islamically unacceptable. -.- God forbid she should ever hear blood sex and booze, geek stink breath, longview or fuck time for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I take my faith seriously, but I also think it's stupid for people to get caught up in stupid little rules and details like that. Surely, it's more important to be a good person. The American Idiot video was on Kerrang a few days ago. She was like 'oh my God, are they on drugs????'. Yes, that's right. So I gave her a brief history of their drug use. She wasn't as
disgusted as I thought she'd be. Other weird thing is that she's never batted an eyelid whenever I've bought their records with massive parental advisory stickers on them and she has a big thing about swearing.

There's no chance in hell I'm showing her or my my dad, who can be a total suck up at time, Bullet in a Bible. Oh dear God, the awkward conversations to follow. I may have to attend a GD gig with one of them next year (my first one!) should a UK tour come about. The only friend Of mine whose really into Green Day too might not be able to make it. Oh man, if During Hitchin' a ride...

my mom saw the hitchin a ride part in bullet in a bible and laughed,she have the same stupid humor :dance:

They know about my obsession, My dad used to insult them & laugh at them... we had many fights because of that, but now I guess he's learning to respect! He does feel sorry for me sometimes though :lol:

But my mom has no problem with it, u know, because She's never seen BIAB or some other music videos :P Especially King for a day!

I remember how she insulted Billie Joe & fought with me when she found it about his sexuality!! She even tore 3 of my " Keep Calm & .... " posters!

Anyway, I don't give a shit! I have my amazing brother who is also a GD fan :D

My parents know I like Green Day, it's not really my mum's music style so when I put Green Day out loud she's like "turn down the volume!!" and for her Green Day is Metal :dry:

But anyway apart from that she doesn't really care...but she has NO idea that Billie Joe masturbates etc....that would be really awkward. At first I had to go to a Green Day concert with her and I was kind of embarassed but thank God she had family that was coming in France that night and she's not a huge fan of Green Day so I went with the father of my brother's friend and a friend.

I don't see him a lot so my dad is very interested in the kind of music I listen to. He knows Boulevard of broken dreams and he likes it (it was on the radio) and one day he asked me to tell me my favourite song of Green Day, so I said Holiday...and he was looking on his telephone the music video...and I was like no no what did I do, but hopefully he didn't the part with the girls dancing :lol: it would have been awkard....

My parents know I like Green Day, it's not really my mum's music style so when I put Green Day out loud she's like "turn down the volume!!" and for her Green Day is Metal :dry:

But anyway apart from that she doesn't really care...but she has NO idea that Billie Joe masturbates etc....that would be really awkward. At first I had to go to a Green Day concert with her and I was kind of embarassed but thank God she had family that was coming in France that night and she's not a huge fan of Green Day so I went with the father of my brother's friend and a friend.

I don't see him a lot so my dad is very interested in the kind of music I listen to. He knows Boulevard of broken dreams and he likes it (it was on the radio) and one day he asked me to tell me my favourite song of Green Day, so I said Holiday...and he was looking on his telephone the music video...and I was like no no what did I do, but hopefully he didn't the part with the girls dancing :lol: it would have been awkard....

Holiday is nothing. I haven't shown my parents the Oh Love video and my mom actually likes that song so I'm surprised she hasn't asked me to put the video on for her.

my parents know that I love green day very much. I have posters of them and sticker and what else of green day in my room. I buy all their CDs so they know that I love them. They paid half of my UNO DOS TRE boxset and 3 years ago they bought me 21st CB for my b-day.
I also play like all the time green day on my guitar and sing the songs so loud that even my brothers know the lyrics.

and about the swearing and all the under 18 stuff that Billie does- I hear and sing the swearing when I play the songs, but when I put on a CD in the car I try to put the one with the least swearing in it. The ONLY song that I don't put out loud is FUck time

I got really into Green Day when I was still so young I could barely speak English. Green Day inspired me to study harder so that I could understand their interviews and lyrics and so on. I remember telling my mom about translating their songs and developing my English skills, because I was so excited to understand more. She asked me if Green Day's songs were suitable for a little girl... I was like uhhhhh yes. She was all like allllrighty then, good for you.

Later on my mom heard Basket Case (with lyrics on screen) on some TV show. She was shocked. :lol:

They know nothing, I tell them Green Day does not exist, that they're a figment of my imagination.

Nah, my family knows EXACTLY how much I love them. I have posters up everywhere, I always play Green Day and put them on mixed tapes I make. My brother got me into them with American Idiot but now he's gone off them and says that they're a suckish band and I need to listen to better music. Meanwhile he has a Bullet in a Bible poster on his bedroom wall and says it's too pretty to take down or give to me. :P

Brenda, my dad's wife (but not my mom) has house guests a lot and whenever they come over they usually stay in my brother's room. She's neurotic about the poster because she thinks it's like discriminatory towards Christians or something. (Better not show her the American Idiot album cover).

My mom is totally supportive or my addiction and she bought me the box set and we listen to Green Day together. She was really concerned and interested when Billie Joe got into rehab. I tell her a lot of Green Day news and we talk about them together.

My dad on the other hand is oblivious. I have countless band posters in my room and I tell him all about Green Day but he really doesn't give a flying fladoodle. When I hinted at getting concert tickets he said that I would grow out of Green Day so he didn't want to invest in something like that. He really doesn't understand......

Well, both my parents know that I'm a Green Day fan, but ( unfortunately :ermm: ) they have different feelings towards it. My dad understands that I love this music, that lyrics really mean something to me, he even bought me a guitar so that I can now learn how to play Green Day songs :dance: So for him it's no problem.

But my mum is on the opposite. She grew up with classical music on everyday ( and even encouraged me to play the piano - but that's the only one positive thing :S ), and for her every song containing percussion, electric guitar and strong rhythm is metal/punk, which she literally hates. When I start talking about Green Day she tells me that I'm crazy, starts insinuating that I take drugs :mellow: ( know, she IS crazy :fool: ), and when my phone starts ringing ( I have X - KID as an alarm :lol: ), she tries to change it for something NORMAL. No to mention concert(s). Only because she was out did I manage to buy the ticket on it. :shok: And playing the guitar or the songs without headphones - when she is out as well ( but her behaviour is like that only with Green Day - she is a great mother afterall ).

I should start a new thread entitled: How much do your kids know?

My daughter, bought me Uno and Dos VINYL for Christmas. She couldn't find Tre at Hot Topic. I was so surprised to say the least. My "older" brother in law asked, do you have a record player? Umm, no that's not the point. I already have the CD's.

I guess I am one of the few parents here on GDC!

I truly understand what you are all saying!

Good morning and Happy Holidays to you all!

Every-fucking-One in my immidiate family knows about my Green Day obsession.

I was 14-15yo when I became a GD fan from American Idiot. I'm 22 now and still going strong.

My mom, step-dad, & younger btother - For a time I would call my bro mini-Mike cause he had blond hair when he was younger and wore a small white tank-top from time to time.

My Grandma, 2 aunts, & uncle - Grandma bought me the majority of my GD merch. One aunt took me to my first GD concert in Carson, CA. The other aunt got me a handmade keychain from Thailand that says 'I ♥ Mike'. My uncle helped my aunt get me my first bass guitar.

My actual-Dad, friends, & others - My dad gave me a cassette tape of Dookie that he still had. I had a friend in highschool who let me and another girl make GD teddy bears, she made Billie bear, the other made Tre bear, and I made my Mikey bear. Everyone else that I come across, after a while hanging out with me I usually end up mentioning GD.

Basically, you shouldn't be worried about showing your affection towards GD. Yes, they are a bit odd and do quite a few lewd things on stage, but it's all harmless fun. Just stuff to make the crowd and fangirls go spazztic. XD

My mom knows quite a bit about the band actually. She knows some of their albums and a lot of their songs, she even tries to keep up with any news on them. When the whole situation happened with Billie, she told me about it because she didn't think I was aware of it.

She's really good about my love for Green Day. She'll always call me up to see if I have certain albums or t shirts if she finds them while she's out. She was even trying to surprise me with tickets (I already bought them) because she knew how much I wanted to see them. Plus, she thinks Billie is hot...she was pretty happy when he was on the voice ;)

by this time, mom figured out how much obsessive I am, and I tell her random stuff abot them like about the meltdown.

It does annoy me sometimes that she thinks that Green Day are just a phase (I wonder if she still thinks that), and how she doesn't seem to understand how much their music means to me and that it's not just catchy and cool tunes (she doesn't really know english so she can't understand the meaning.) But it's really cool when I show her some songs and she likes them, she is now addicted to Misery thanks to me, ME ISH PROUD :P and she's cool with my obsession.

A couple of days ago when MTV was playing Let yourself go live, she noticed that some of the words were bleeped (not really bleeped, but they put that sound like the tape got stuck), and she was all like "I think their recording got damaged, what's that noise?" and I told her "....no... it's censorship" she said " what?? why censorship?.. are there any bad words? :o "

Good job mom, it's about time you figured (and way to treat me like a big girl! :lol: )... and that means I didn't had to mute the sound every time I put music on speakers and there was a curse XD

And I don't even know what to tell her when Green day finally announce a tour date in a country near mine, I'll want to go and she'll ask to join me... I don't mind her going with me but I'll die of embarassment if Billie will masturbate or something XD (so yeah... I didn't watch BIAB with her :lol: )

My dad likes Green Day, he bought Dookie when he heard Basket Case on the radio in '95(?) and my mum likes 21 Guns and Blvd and the singles.

Green Day are the one band my whole family like so I'm kinda good with that :D

Oh, and also, my mom became obsessed with Rocky after I showed her that video when Billie is playing the piano and he is singing... She says: "Oh, Billie is so kind with animals, this makes me like him a lot more!" :happy:

I'm a person that doesn't like to give away much of myself, and when I started to like Green Day I kept it a secret, but my parents somehow discovered it (don't ask me how), so now I have a "Green Day - wall" , and all albums except Kerplunk, BIAB, AI and 21st CB (My dad owns the last two, though). And I listen to them all the time. And I only play GD on guitar :S My dad also likes Green Day, but he's not as obsessed as I am. He listens to them because he likes their music, and he listens to Metallica, AC/DC and Linkin Park about as much.

There's a few songs that I earlier didn't want them to hear (Longview, Platypus, Blood, Sex And Booze, Haha, You're Dead, Let Yourself Go, Fuck Time, Makeout Party ++), but then my brother started to listen to them, and he don't care, so my parents got to hear them anyway (Except BS&B. MP and FT) so I never let my brother borrow Warning or iDos! when they're at home.

My dad also watches live videos with GD, and he commented to me about Billie being drunk a lot. He also told me about the stage meltdown (even though I knew it before), and thought that Justin Bieber - thing was hilarious (sometimes he suddenly shouts "I'm not f*ckin Justin Bieber, you motherf*ckers").

So my dad is pretty great, but my mom think's it's annoying "because she can't talk with us, because of all that noise". Something that's pretty awkward is that all of us (me, my dad, my mom, my brother and my sister) are going to a concert this summer, so now I'm nervous because I want my parents to like them, I want Green Day to do what the hell they feel like, and be as awesome as they really are, but I don't want them to be like in BIAB, cuz that will be awkward. And all of this is pretty contradictionary :S

My friends are OK, they don't care much (sometimes I'd wish they'd care a little more). One of my friends is also a GD fan.

Archived