How much do your parents know?

Jean

My mom knows I love Green Day. when I discovered them in 1995, that's all I would talk about she got me Dookie and Insomniac on cassette. she's not a big fan. but she likes Good Riddance. my uncle is a huge Green Day fan though.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I started listening to them my parents thought I was way obsessed I remember my mom said you listen to them way to much that its unhealthy or something like that I dont remeber now she has Oh Love as her ringtone

My Dad was the one who made me listen to Green Day in the first place. So I'm guessing he likes them. And my uncle went with his friends and his son to the show in 2009. I think most of my family on my Dad's side are fans.

My parents love Green Day and love going to their concerts. Green Day is their favorite live band actually.

My mom loves Green Day! Both of their concerts that I've been to, she went with me. She knows the members names and stuff about them, just from listening to me blabber. She is more into the 2004-present music. Though she does still like their older stuff, she just doesn't listen to it as often. The whole masturbation/profanity things doesn't matter to her. She loves it, if anything.

My dad doesn't "love" them like I would say my mom does. Though he doesn't hate it either. He's never been to one of their concerts. He can handle listening to it but doesn't see why I'm so obsessed. He knows Billie is the lead guitarist/singer just because I talk about it lol. Profanity and whatnot.... he either doesn't care or he doesn't mention anything about it when he does hear it anyway.

All my friends call them Green Gay so.....yeah I'm pretty much the only one I know who really likes them a lot

My late father adored Green Day and so does my mother. :)

They were putting up with the crush I had on Billie from 1995 to 1998 pretty well.

Dad was a bit cruel at first, he was making up "news bulletins" about "the singer who used to take his pants off now pooping on stage" to see my reaction to it; but later on when he realised I was taking it pretty hard, he got so supportive that he drove me to another town to get me a copy of Kerplunk! on CD, he dug out an Insomniac cassette for me in during our vacation and when we went to some conference with mom to Budapest, he and I had 3 days to do whatever we wanted and we made a deal to scout for fishing equipment for him and Green Day-related stuff for me. It was incredibly fun, an unlikely way for a father and a daughter to spend time together. Later on, he really got into nimrod. and he asked me to make him a cassette copy for the car.

I miss you, daddy...:/

Well, both my parents know I love Green Day since the beginning.

My mom likes Billie, she thinks he's gorgeous. She doesn't know about the floor humping and hitchin a ride live though and I don't think i'll ever tell her.

Well my dad keeps telling me that I shouldn't be stuck in just one band and that I should listen and to other genres of music. But I also listen to many many other bands besides Green Day, so his argument is invalid.

At my first Green Day days I was lying about the time I spend on the internet searching stuff about them because I didn't want them to call me obsessed and things like that. Now I don't really care. :yay: (sorry i wanted to use that smiley for a long time xd)

My dad hates Green Day a lot. My Mom likes Green Day, I listen to their worst songs just to make her mad. My mom is one of those people who hates curse words. Oddly enough my mom likes Dookie over everything, and her second favorite album is Dos. She hasn't seen any of their live stuff yet besides Bullet In A Bible.

She hasn't seen any of their live stuff yet besides Bullet In A Bible.

I bet she loved Hitchin' A Ride.

My parents were punks so they got me into them in the first place. My dad still listens to them in the car quite often.

My mom loves them. At first she was kind of indifferent, but we have very similar music tastes (we have similar tastes in almost everything, actually) so they grew on her pretty quickly. She really enjoyed the first show we went to in 2010 (she even said it was one of the best and most entertaining concerts she's been to) and was really excited to go again back in April. After the most recent one she's gotten into them a lot more and knows a lot of their music and stuff. She also claims it's my fault that she's "so over her Bon Jovi phase" and now "in love with Billie Joe Armstrong." :P

She went with me to meet Mike, too.

I think it's safe to say that my mother is an actual fan and not just trying to like them cause her daughter does. :ga:

"How much do your parents know?" More than they want! :lol: haha

When I got into GD in 2004, I showed my mom the AI music video and pictures of the band and she had a tiny crush on Billie :P but then after some time she got annoyed that I ALWAYS talked about GD :lol:
My dad doesn't care about GD but he can remember that Billie's b-day is on Feb. the 17th xD and I remember I once showed him this certain video of Billie Joe last year where he pulls down his pants after Good Riddance (the one from the Rock Am See festival in Germany) and my dad laughed so hard :lol:
My sister likes GD and she likes to go to their concerts with me but she isn't a huge fan of them :P

P.S: I once watched the Bullet In A Bible DVD with my mom....and I didn't skip any parts :ninja: if you know what I mean :ga:

My parents know nothing, nothing more than my Dad did after 2004, when he began his hatred for Green Day, finally deciding they were too mainstream (my Dad is a dick)

My mom took me to a Sum 41 concert last year, she swore never to listen to them again, Deryck said mother fucker every five seconds... so my parents are assholes about this shit...

My father has said things that made me think he had a man crush on Billie Joe.

"I could kiss him!" (leaving the context out.)

"he's not sinister, he's cuddly!" (in response to my mother whole watching the Redundant video on TV)

Heard that from my own dad and given the fact that dad was 32 years older, it was probably some love for a youngster, rather than a man crush. :) Then again, I assume your dad has got to be much younger than mine was!

"How much do your parents know?" More than they want! :lol: haha

When I got into GD in 2004, I showed my mom the AI music video and pictures of the band and she had a tiny crush on Billie :P but then after some time she got annoyed that I ALWAYS talked about GD :lol:

My dad doesn't care about GD but he can remember that Billie's b-day is on Feb. the 17th xD and I remember I once showed him this certain video of Billie Joe last year where he pulls down his pants after Good Riddance (the one from the Rock Am See festival in Germany) and my dad laughed so hard :lol:

My sister likes GD and she likes to go to their concerts with me but she isn't a huge fan of them :P

P.S: I once watched the Bullet In A Bible DVD with my mom....and I didn't skip any parts :ninja: if you know what I mean :ga:

My mom and I didn't skip those parts even with our neighbour around, the neigbour being another widow who often thinks young men hit on her. The backstage mooning moment :ga: first prompted her to say: "Eyoooo!" and then, 30 seconds later, she was like: "Cute boy, shame for the amount of tattoos!"

My dad hates Green Day a lot. My Mom likes Green Day, I listen to their worst songs just to make her mad. My mom is one of those people who hates curse words. Oddly enough my mom likes Dookie over everything, and her second favorite album is Dos. She hasn't seen any of their live stuff yet besides Bullet In A Bible.

I think your dad is just being a parent, he "hates" them just because you like them. :)

And Dookie is my mom's favourite, too...back when we had economic sanctions imposed by the United Nations, I had only a pirate copy of the Dookie cassette for 2 years, then mom bought me the original CD in Germany...and since my great aunt urged her to buy me a portable CD player as well, mom couldn't resist on the 32-hour bus ride back to Belgrade from Berlin and she opened the CD, stuck it in the player and banged her head for the rest of the trip. Side note: she was 57 when this happened. Now she's 72 and she knows all Dookie songs straight to finish, apart from the bonus/hidden track.

Sorry, I come from stone age. Cassettes, portable CD players.... :confused:

Heard that from my own dad and given the fact that dad was 32 years older, it was probably some love for a youngster, rather than a man crush. :) Then again, I assume your dad has got to be much younger than mine was!

My dad is almost exactly six years older than Billie Joe, so they're a similar age. Definitely a secret mam crush! I'm so proud of him. :P

My mom knows everything about them (she also knows how Billie Joe acts on stage ;) you know what I mean)

My father knows nothing about these things ;) I think it's better that he will never know about it :happy:

My parents don't really now anything about Green Day except that I like them and they are okay with that

But my dad once saw a live preformance of pinkpop 2010 on tv and said that he would like to go to a concert of them, so I guess he kind of likes them.

My mother doesn't really know anyting about them, she thinks they are some really unkown band so she keeps asking if they really headlined pinkpop :lol:

I almost never listen to Green Day music with them and I certainly wouldn't watch Bullet In A Bible with them, way to awkward :P

My dad is almost exactly six years older than Billie Joe, so they're a similar age. Definitely a secret mam crush! I'm so proud of him. :P

In that case, yes, sounds like a mancrush. Well, as long as he doesn't get a fauxhawk and go to a show with a bunch of flowers, he's OK. :)

I was thinking today that there should be a sister thread to this saying "How much does your partner know?" as they can be the more judgmental :P

In that case, yes, sounds like a mancrush. Well, as long as he doesn't get a fauxhawk and go to a show with a bunch of flowers, he's OK. :)

Oh crap I hope not! :mellow:

Haha, nah, he's far too conservative for that, thank God!!

As for my dad he knows that I love Green Day and that the guy named Billie Joe exist, but he isn't familiar with their music. Not because he doesn't like it but because he just isn't into music at all. Yeah, when I bought American Idiot back then he allowed me to listen to it in car while we were driving back to home and that happened again now recently with iDos!. I think it's the only time he's heard them.
My mum knows much more compared to dad. She likes their music and knows enough to even pick her favourite songs! She was fascinated after we saw them live, idk if it was really because of Green Day or due to the fact that it was her first big rock concert ever. :lol:

My parents know a decent amount about Green Day, because I started listening to them when I was 10 (Almost 19 years ago... Crazy), and they wanted to "monitor" what I was listening to. I know that they weren't thrilled about the language, but they never told me to stop listening, so I didn't. They actually know a lot more of their older stuff since that's what I was listening to when I was growing up and still living at home. American Idiot and beyond all happened once I had moved out, so they don't really know much of that. BUT last weekend my dad listened to some of the new stuff, and really liked it... He still isn't thrilled with the language though lol.

My mom is really into top 40 type music, so she knows a lot more about them and their popular songs.

My dad actually plays bass, guitar, and drums, and when I was young he would play along to whatever GD song I was listening to and I would sing along :)

Oh and funny enough after we were done listening to the new stuff last weekend, my dad started asking about their personal lives. Are they married, kids, how long have they been together now, etc... I guess he was trying to take an active interest lol.

Archived