How much do your parents know?

Jean

I started this thread because I was curious...How much do your parents or anyone else in your life know about Green Day?

My family knows I love them and I think they kind of figure I have a crush on Billie Joe because of all the posters I used to have on my walls (took them down to switch bedrooms but never bothered putting them back + a lot of them got wrinkled and wrecked).

They know that Green Day swears and they don't care. My mom knows about Billie's meltdown and rehab (they mentioned it on the news and she laughed at his Justin Bieber comment). She doesn't know about him dropping his pants on stage.

In fact, every time I watch Bullet in a Bible, I always do it alone because the awkwardness would be too much for me during the Hitchin A Ride part. That came out when I was 14 and I'm 20 now and I still don't want them to know about it. Same with Billie humping the camera all "you like that bitch?!"

When I got Awesome as Fuck last year, I had to watch it alone at first for this reason but there wasn't anything inappropriate in it.

There are certain songs I would never let my parents listen to: Like A Rat Does Cheese, Platypus, for example. Hell even the masturbation line in Longview is awkward enough.

I would have loved to see them live back when I was 14 but at the same time I'm glad I didn't because my parents (or an adult supervisor they knew and trusted) would have had to taken me and I don't know how they would react to the masturbation on stage. I think they might be amused by Billie mooning the crowd but beyond that...

I should add that my parents aren't all prudes. I've watched True Blood with them countless times, which is still very awkward.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my mom loves it. She went to my first Green Day concert with me actually (because I was eleven) and Billie decided to drop to the ground and hump the stage. She just laughed. My family has no problem with Green Day whatsoever.

Parents know about my obsession, they dont care about it or respect it. Friends know too but they couldn't care less about it. Some of them keep asking about updates which I think is nice. But overall, it isn't a pleasant experience :P

I'm gonna leave this open for now, unless another mod strongly disagrees. I think it's fun :P

I didn't realize I should be embarrassed by some of the stuff GD does until I showed them clips I thought were hilarious, and they were looking at each other looking like they were thinking "what the fuck is this shit? I want a donut".

Everyone I know knows about my fandom. But no one really cares about it. I've gotten a few comments on how shitty they became after AI came out, and I remember a wannabe metal dude flat out refused to say "green day", so he said "green bay" instead, because, in his words "they make everything out to be much more important than it is." (a line that has been rendered useless since the trilogy).

I'm gonna leave this open for now, unless another mod strongly disagrees. I think it's fun :P

I didn't realize I should be embarrassed by some of the stuff GD does until I showed them clips I thought were hilarious, and they were looking at each other looking like they were thinking "what the fuck is this shit? I want a donut".

Everyone I know knows about my fandom. But no one really cares about it. I've gotten a few comments on how shitty they became after AI came out, and I remember a wannabe metal dude flat out refused to say "green day", so he said "green bay" instead, because, in his words "they make everything out to be much more important than it is." (a line that has been rendered useless since the trilogy).

Green Bay is better than having friends say Green Gay :ermm:

My parents know I love Green Day. They like them, but like if I showed them a song like "Let Yourself Go" or "Kill the DJ" they would just shrug it off as mindless junk, however they would call songs like 21 Guns and Brutal Love beautiful and great. I know my dad respects Green Day a lot even if he doesn't like their music.

As for friends? Most of my friends know I really like Green Day, but I'm not an obnoxious cocksucker about it so nobody cares.

My mom knows about the meltdown at iheart radio but she always avoids the subject if any radio host talked about It and she actually likes their music. When they come on the audio, she turns it up and starts singing, but when say justin bieber or one direction come on the the radio she turns it off. When I watch biab she's always like "wow that sounds like a great concert you were watching" and when I watched Quatro the first time she actually explained to my grandma my obsession with Billie Joe (when he was surfing) and how talented they are. She's also told me she stood in my room and just looked at all of my posters. Weird huh.

My mom loves them just as much as I do. In fact, she has a bigger crush on Bille Joe than most teenage girls. He's the wallpaper on her phone and everything, and she's 4 years older than him lol. They're both her and my favorite bands of all time.

My mom always refers to them whenever I say something about being a rock star. She's like "Oh, you can't be a rock star, that Green Day guy can only do it 'cause he's white." My dad recalls seeing them get an award or something. I'd rather have them know nothing than them teasing me for the rest of my life.

They know Green Day has been my favorite band for years.

My dad is always interested to hear how the new albums are, and loves when they have a lot of The Who and Beatles influence, so he loved most of American Idiot and tracks like Last Night on Earth and Stray Heart.

It's chill.

My mom knows nothing. Barely anything. She took me to see American Idiot, and she was so surprised with all the cussing

My dad on the other hand, knows almost everything. He's yet to find out I enjoy watching videos of Billie Joe jacking off on stage :lol:

Before me, my brother was a fan (he still is), so my parents know a lot of things. They know that Billie played She naked and that he likes to put his pants down, they also know what happened during Hitchin A Ride of Bullet in a Bible, what All By Myself is about, that Tré has only one testicle and stuff like these... And my dad went to a show in 1998, when they came to Brazil, but unfortunately I had only 1 year old.

My dad pretends to be a fan to try to relate to me. When i try to show him new music he brushes it off but then drops all this GD knowledge and questions when we have awkward pauses because he knows that'll get me talking. It's quite amusing, i applaud the effort.

But yes i do sensor for my parents just as you do. It's not shame, I actually like to think of it as how you would treat a good friend. You dont let them do stupid shit around your parents to make them look like good people you should be hanging around with, but when its just you and green day its okay to show your ass and act like a moron for a laugh.

My parents like most of their music or at least don't dislike it. They came with me to see them, and really really liked the show. Saw American Idiot when it came to town, too. I'm grown, they don't really have a problem with any of the content for me :lol:. My mom worries about Billie Joe. I tell her they're doing this and that, and she says "I just hope he doesn't burn himself out" xP. They'll never compare in either of my parents' eyes to any of the old rock greats, but... They're definitely reasonably respected.

My mom always refers to them whenever I say something about being a rock star. She's like "Oh, you can't be a rock star, that Green Day guy can only do it 'cause he's white."

Wow, that's terrible :/. I'm sorry to hear that.

My mom loves them just as much as I do. In fact, she has a bigger crush on Bille Joe than most teenage girls. He's the wallpaper on her phone and everything, and she's 4 years older than him lol. They're both her and my favorite bands of all time.

My mom is the exact same way. She loves her some Billie Joe, and Green Day is her favorite band.

Wow, that's terrible :/. I'm sorry to hear that.

Eh, it's no biggie. South-East Asian moms always have the most stupidest excuses for everything.

Before me, my brother was a fan (he still is), so my parents know a lot of things. They know that Billie played She naked and that he likes to put his pants down, they also know what happened during Hitchin A Ride of Bullet in a Bible, what All By Myself is about, that Tré has only one testicle and stuff like these... And my dad went to a show in 1998, when they came to Brazil, but unfortunately I had only 1 year old.

Wait...WHAT?

My mom loves American Idiot but my dad hates Green Day, he says that Green Day is a band for kids

Wait...WHAT?

Unicycle accident. (Not joking).

Eh, it's no biggie. South-East Asian moms always have the most stupidest excuses for everything.

OK, heh.

lol my parents know about Green Day because i have pictures of Billie, Mike, Tre and Jason on my wall, and my dad knows about them cuz hes been a fan since the dookie days :P

My dad took me to a Green Day concert when I was 16 lmfao it was absolutely hilarious. He took pictures while I enjoyed myself. But ever since then he's never said anything bad about the band. He thought they put on a great show and was particularly impressed with Billie's vocals. My mom also loves Green Day for some reason (She doesn't usually like punk rock bands). So yeah, both my parents know I'm a Green Day fan, considering they were the ones who paid for all my Green Day CDs, DVDs, etc. They also don't have any problems with it.

My parents have been on board with Green Day since I discovered them when I was 11, they both really enjoy the band and are pretty awesome.

Both my parents know everything. I watched Bullet in a Bible with both of them (separately) and they know about the meltdown and all that. They probably figured out that I'm obsessive about the band by now.

Archived