Bad, classless reviews of the trilogy are really pissing me off

Ashkonmusic

Chinese Democracy got the same ratings as Uno
It's ironic that this thread is about how ratings is bullshit.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theres a reason why a ton of people hate GD, and its justifiable

I never said there wasn't and I'm really not sure how this related to my post at all. If you want to criticize and pick apart Green Day, this simply isn't the place to do it because many people here are absolutely in love with every aspect of the band. You're not going to get a good debate here.

Especially coming on a thread discussing Green Day's trilogy and saying "Guns N Roses is better." That's not a good argument anywhere because it's opinionated. While arguments the members here make are extremely opinionated too, it's a forum about Green Day so it's expected.

I recommend you look in the Other Bands section and create a topic for Guns N Roses or find a different website.

I never said there wasn't and I'm really not sure how this related to my post at all. If you want to criticize and pick apart Green Day, this simply isn't the place to do it because many people here are absolutely in love with every aspect of the band. You're not going to get a good debate here.

Especially coming on a thread discussing Green Day's trilogy and saying "Guns N Roses is better." That's not a good argument anywhere because it's opinionated. While arguments the members here make are extremely opinionated too, it's a forum about Green Day so it's expected.

I recommend you look in the Other Bands section and create a topic for Guns N Roses or find a different website.

This is what I see here

Person A I <3 GD so much, BJA is amazing!!! Green Day is the greatest band ever!!!

Person B I know right?!? Nobody is better than Green Day. Their simple easy, no talent filled music is soo much better than an intricate, epic song by a band that has legitimate members that can actually play their instruments

This is exactly why I am here, to show you star gazed fans that there is much better music out there than GD

Oh yeah to all you GD FANS:

Guess who inducted Guns N' Roses into the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame?

Wait for it.....

Green Day.

This is what I see here

Person A I <3 GD so much, BJA is amazing!!! Green Day is the greatest band ever!!!

Person B I know right?!? Nobody is better than Green Day. Their simple easy, no talent filled music is soo much better than an intricate, epic song by a band that has legitimate members that can actually play their instruments

This is exactly why I am here, to show you star gazed fans that there is much better music out there than GD

It's not a good place to do that, though. A lot of people here are biased and stubborn and will just get angry at you. It's not going to work well.

A lot of members here listen to a lot of other music. If you go look in threads that are in the Green Day portion of the community, you'll see that not everyone here is a star-struck obsessive fan.

This is what I see here

I can guarantee you aren't going to accomplish anything. Again, your opinion isn't fact. Just because some people like Green Day more than you do, does not make your opinion on music more valid. Grow up. Seriously, you're acting like a child.

If everyone is saying it, then you should look.

I realise you said this, but just for absolute clarity, the critical consensus - which you place so much importance on - on Chinese Democracy and Uno:

HFJ7u.png

Even at GnR's worst, they are still better than Green Days best

This doesn't make any sense. Even if I humor you and pretend they got the same rating, how does the same rating mean Guns n Roses are still better? I'm more than happy for you to prefer GNR over Green Day, but you can't make appeals to an authority that directly contradicts you.

"Fuck Time and Nightlife never needed to happen"? why, just because they're different?

that's an example of one opinion that pisses me off xD

not to mention the harsh critisism of "Kill the Dj" aswell

I realise you said this, but just for absolute clarity, the critical consensus - which you place so much importance on - on Chinese Democracy and Uno:

This doesn't make any sense. Even if I humor you and pretend they got the same rating, how does the same rating mean Guns n Roses are still better? I'm more than happy for you to prefer GNR over Green Day, but you can't make appeals to an authority that directly contradicts you.

Guns N' Roses worst time is now, the era of Chinese Democracy

Green Days best is right now, even BJA stated that. 64 and 67 is pretty close and im sure I could find a wesbite that CD over Uno

The fact of the matter is still the same, at their worst, Guns N Roses is still better than Green Day at their best

Guns N' Roses worst time is now, the era of Chinese Democracy

Green Days best is right now, even BJA stated that. 64 and 67 is pretty close and im sure I could find a wesbite that CD over Uno

The fact of the matter is still the same, at their worst, Guns N Roses is still better than Green Day at their best

This doesn't work either.

1) You can't arbitrarily call the trilogy Green Day's 'best' any more than I can Chinese Democracy. Billie said so? Great, did Axl Rose trash his latest album when he was promoting it?

2) Metacritic is a consensus website. I didn't cherry pick a good Uno review, and you shouldn't cherry pick a good CD review. Those scores represent a broad opinion of those albums.

3) Already discussed. The reviews do not support your assertions.

Your logic doesn't hold up.

So I was reading through this thread and it's pretty much is an argument of which band is better: Guns N' Roses or Green Day? And my answer to this question? Who cares? You are not going to convince anyone of anything! And considering that this is a GREEN DAY forum...you will probably get more people on the Green Day side, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And if I want to proclaim Billie Joe the best songwriter to ever live on the face of this planet; I can. (He is def. in top 5 of my list ;D) There is no argument that would change my opinion on the matter. So, yes continue the petty battle of getting your point across to no one. That is all :pinch:

If you're definition of a different sounding album is a little more bass or strings, you must not listen to a whole lot of other music than pop punk. A majority of the songs on all 3 albums are upbeat power chorded songs. In my opinion, they all sound pop punk, and that's all you're ever going to get from Green Day, but if that's what you like, no problem. But don't come on here trying to make these albums out to be something they're not

If you've heard from a lot of people that the albums sound the same, don't you think they may be on to something. If i had to guess, I'd say I've listened to the albums around 25 times each, and my opinion is still the same, the albums sounds way alike.

The length of a song has nothing to do with whether or not it's boring, maybe you have listened to too many boring long songs by GD? Personally I believe GD rarely makes songs past a 5-6 minute mark because they are not very musically talented. Making a 3 minute songs with an upbeat tempo is very easy to do once you've learned how to write music, it's the 7 minute epics that prove your worth, and quite frankly, GD never makes songs like that.

Maybe someday you'll hear Estranged by Guns N Roses and wonder where the hell has a song of this epicness been in my life.

Ummm, excuse me... but I do listen to other music. One of my favorite artist of all time is GNR and my favorite song by them is Civil War. But compared to the pop punk bands out there, the trilogy is still going to outdo the rest of that music. Not only cause Green Day has popularity, but because of the fact that Billie, Mike, and Tre know how incorporate different sounds to the songs. You have to listen closely, did you know Tre added a tamborine to Fuck Time? And I dont know about you, but 3 minute songs are fine to me. My three favorite songs off the trilogy are in fact short lengthed. X-Kid, Amy, and then Rusty James. If you're going to come here and say that Green Day is only good when they make 9 minute epics, then you are in the wrong place because first of, that will never happen due to the fact that it would be extremely boring, and also because most of Green Day's "short" songs are some of people's life savers.

Also, Im pretty sure Appetite for Destruction was more successful than Use Your Illusions. Appetite for Destruction consists of mostly short length (3-5 min), heavy riff songs with the occasional epic mixed in (Sweet Child O' Mine, Rocket Queen, Paradise City). Dont tell me I dont know any other music besides Green Day because I sure as hell do. And for you to come here and say that, when Guns N Roses has been out of their game for the past 20 years... yeah I loved Chinese Democracy, I love Guns N Roses, but they lost it man. The real GNR is done and will never be the same. Give it up.

One last thing, want to listen to a good, 3-5 minute song that is built well, go listen to the album Illuminate by a band called Lydia. There's some goddamn music.

Dude, you're missing out on some music if all you can compare everything to is old GNR. The classic Guns N Roses is dead. For you to make comparisons to a band who the original members hasnt been together in eternity is pathetic.

Estranged? Dude, GNR wrote music just to write. It was rare that the songs related in anyway to the bands life and all they wanted, well Axl at least, wanted was fame. He didnt care for anyone but himself and he was an asshole.

Epics get old man. I think it is appropriate in Green Day's case to make two 9 minute epics in one album, and stray away from them until 4 studio albums later... right.

Ummm, excuse me... but I do listen to other music. One of my favorite artist of all time is GNR and my favorite song by them is Civil War. But compared to the pop punk bands out there, the trilogy is still going to outdo the rest of that music. Not only cause Green Day has popularity, but because of the fact that Billie, Mike, and Tre know how incorporate different sounds to the songs. You have to listen closely, did you know Tre added a tamborine to Fuck Time? And I dont know about you, but 3 minute songs are fine to me. My three favorite songs off the trilogy are in fact short lengthed. X-Kid, Amy, and then Rusty James. If you're going to come here and say that Green Day is only good when they make 9 minute epics, then you are in the wrong place because first of, that will never happen due to the fact that it would be extremely boring, and also because most of Green Day's "short" songs are some of people's life savers.

Also, Im pretty sure Appetite for Destruction was more successful than Use Your Illusions. Appetite for Destruction consists of mostly short length (3-5 min), heavy riff songs with the occasional epic mixed in (Sweet Child O' Mine, Rocket Queen, Paradise City). Dont tell me I dont know any other music besides Green Day because I sure as hell do. And for you to come here and say that, when Guns N Roses has been out of their game for the past 20 years... yeah I loved Chinese Democracy, I love Guns N Roses, but they lost it man. The real GNR is done and will never be the same. Give it up.

One last thing, want to listen to a good, 3-5 minute song that is built well, go listen to the album Illuminate by a band called Lydia. There's some goddamn music.

Dude, you're missing out on some music if all you can compare everything to is old GNR. The classic Guns N Roses is dead. For you to make comparisons to a band who the original members hasnt been together in eternity is pathetic.

Estranged? Dude, GNR wrote music just to write. It was rare that the songs related in anyway to the bands life and all they wanted, well Axl at least, wanted was fame. He didnt care for anyone but himself and he was an asshole.

Epics get old man. I think it is appropriate in Green Day's case to make two 9 minute epics in one album, and stray away from them until 4 studio albums later... right.

Wow a lot of your statements could not be farther from the truth

Myth: Guns N' Roses doesnt incorperate other sounds into their music

Fact: Guns N' Roses does incorperate other sounds into their music, for example...

Pretty Tied Up- Sitar

Human Being- Kazoo

Breakdown- Banjo

Myth: Green Day is going to out do Guns N' Roses

Fact: Green Day has been around since 1988, Guns N' Roses has been around since 1986 and..

Who has sold over 100 million albums? Guns N' Roses. Who has not? Green Day

Guns N' Roses will never be the same , i know that. But Guns N' Roses has produced more in 6 years than Green Day has in 25 years

Myth: It was rare that Guns N' Roses songs related in anyway to the bands life

*This is where I know you know absolutely nothing about Guns N' Roses. LOL!*

Fact: Appetite For Destruction is ALL, and I mean ALL about growing up on the streets of LA and making a living. They personified the phrase "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll", whereas Green Day personifies "musicials, pop music, and making money"

Myth: Axl wanted fame and fortune

Fact: Slash is the media whore, not Axl. Axl stayed away from the publice eye from 1996-2001. If all Axl wanted was money, we would have reunited with the old band already and he would have made over $20 million dollars doing it

Learns your facts dude if you think you know anything about GnR

So I was reading through this thread and it's pretty much is an argument of which band is better: Guns N' Roses or Green Day? And my answer to this question? Who cares? You are not going to convince anyone of anything! And considering that this is a GREEN DAY forum...you will probably get more people on the Green Day side, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And if I want to proclaim Billie Joe the best songwriter to ever live on the face of this planet; I can. (He is def. in top 5 of my list ;D) There is no argument that would change my opinion on the matter. So, yes continue the petty battle of getting your point across to no one. That is all :pinch:

Pretty true

Im just here to show the "tea partty" Green Day fans that theyre crazy

Fact: Green Day has been around since 1988, Guns N' Roses has been around since 1986 and..

Pop Music has ever sold more than Punk Rock, ever..

and GNR are on mainstream pop since 1986.. green day got the mainstream chance only in 1994

Pop Music has ever sold more than Punk Rock, ever..

and GNR are on mainstream pop since 1986.. green day got the mainstream chance only in 1994

I have no clue what you're saying

Green Day and GnR for the same amount of time and GnR has had more success

I have no clue what you're saying

Green Day and GnR for the same amount of time and GnR has had more success

you can't understand my point and the everyone's else point.. you better visit a doctor

Fact: Guns N' Roses does incorperate other sounds into their music, for example...

Pretty Tied Up- Sitar

Human Being- Kazoo

Breakdown- Banjo

Guns N' Roses will never be the same , i know that. But Guns N' Roses has produced more in 6 years than Green Day has in 25 years

Fact: Appetite For Destruction is ALL, and I mean ALL about growing up on the streets of LA and making a living. They personified the phrase "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll", whereas Green Day personifies "musicials, pop music, and making money"

Fact: Slash is the media whore, not Axl. Axl stayed away from the publice eye from 1996-2001. If all Axl wanted was money, we would have reunited with the old band already and he would have made over $20 million dollars doing it

I know that Appetite for Destruction is all about their life in LA. I know that Paradise City was created in the ride home from their West Coast tour, coming back from Seattle. I know that Nightrain is an alcoholic beverage they used to drink. I know a lot about GNR (I read Slash's book dumbass). Im not saying either band is better than then other. But you say that GNR started in 1986 whereas Green Day started in 1988. Im pretty sure Sweet Children started in 1988. And im pretty sure, just like GNR in 1986, Green Day didnt get their big break until 1994. Axl was constantly late for shows and never was with the band to record Use Your Illusions (Source: Slash's Autobiography). I know that the reason Slash was a media junkie was because he had to do something for the best of the band. Because the band was all Slash cared about. Axl wanted fame, and if it didnt happen his way, it didnt happen at all. Thats why the band name Guns N' Roses strictly belongs to Axl Rose. I know most of the music for Use Your Illusions was in fact written in Chicago (Source: Slash's Autobiography)

Guns N Roses album sales based on number of records sold (Approximately). This is a number based on the material created by Guns N Roses. Excludes The Spaghetti Incident and GNR Lies.:

Appetite for Destruction - 21,725,100

Use Your Illusions I - 10,004,262

Use Your Illusions II - 10,634,400

Chinese Democracy - 2,881,250

Total - 45,245,012 Albums Sold

Green Day album sales based on number of records sold (Approximately). This is a number based on the material created by Green Day. Excludes Shenanigans and other live albums:

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - 600,000

Kerplunk - 750,000

Dookie - 12,325,205

Insomniac - 9,350,000

Nimrod - 6,000,000

Warning - 3,000,000

American Idiot - 15,000,000

21st Century Breakdown - 3,500,000

Uno - 250,000

Dos - 69,000

Tre - 58,000

Total - 50,902,205 Albums Sold

So needless to say, Guns N Roses has not sold over 100,000,000 records, AND Green Day has sold more. Your point is invalid.

Am I the only one who doesn't read reviews? I couldn't care less about what a journalist thinks about my favourite band's new album(s), be it a positive or negative review.

Yes I'm sure that songs like Longview, Welcome to Paradise, 80, 86, The Grouch, and Deadbeat Holiday were written with musicals and making money in mind.

Oh. Wait.

And to reply to something you said a page back, I have heard Estranged. It's fucking awful. And I thought it was awful even when I thought GnR were good. Theres a reason I've been listening to Green Day for 10 years, and for why I haven't actively listened to GNR since I was 14.

JoS and HC are great songs, but theyre so few and far between, thus proving GD's lack of talent.

If everyone says that Baradk Obama is Lresident, maybe you should take a good look. Doesnt make it absolute fact, but if everyone is saying it, then you should look.

You know your songs sound the same when I cant tell a differences between the intros of Fuck Time, Lazy Bones, and 99 Revolutions

Theres a reason why a ton of people hate GD, and its justifiable

Even at GnR's worst, they are still better than Green Days best

Sucks to be you guys

GnR will never be as good as theh used to be, I understand that. Im just waiting for butt hurt GD fans to havd their epiphany moment that GD isnt that great

Seriously, you are saying ALL the songs sound the same because THREE have the same DRUM intro?? Not the same guitar riff or bass line, but same DRUM intro? Fuck man that's petty. That's really weak. I could easily pick out 15 GnR songs that sound the exact same. They are just one of those groups that have a lot of filler in their discography. For fans that filler may be awesome, but as an outsider it's just fuckign filler for me. Also, I have listened to GnR and I was never a big fan of them. They had a few good songs, but I really didn't enjoy most of it. You are really coming off a troll, ya know? You act as if reviewer ratings determine and albums quality, and argue that because BJA isn't in the top 100 that he is not, as a fact!, better than GnR. Man, get your head out of your ass. Most of those "Top 100" polls put the "Classics" high up on the list even if they really have horrible vocals or just average guitarists.

Barack Obama IS President. You are talking about a FACT right there, that's a true factual statement. Trying to say all the songs soung the same is an opinion, one I avidly disagree with. I did check it out, multiple times. Only a moron would go into a trilogy thinking every song will sound different.

I know that Appetite for Destruction is all about their life in LA. I know that Paradise City was created in the ride home from their West Coast tour, coming back from Seattle. I know that Nightrain is an alcoholic beverage they used to drink. I know a lot about GNR (I read Slash's book dumbass). Im not saying either band is better than then other. But you say that GNR started in 1986 whereas Green Day started in 1988. Im pretty sure Sweet Children started in 1988. And im pretty sure, just like GNR in 1986, Green Day didnt get their big break until 1994. Axl was constantly late for shows and never was with the band to record Use Your Illusions (Source: Slash's Autobiography). I know that the reason Slash was a media junkie was because he had to do something for the best of the band. Because the band was all Slash cared about. Axl wanted fame, and if it didnt happen his way, it didnt happen at all. Thats why the band name Guns N' Roses strictly belongs to Axl Rose. I know most of the music for Use Your Illusions was in fact written in Chicago (Source: Slash's Autobiography)

Guns N Roses album sales based on number of records sold (Approximately). This is a number based on the material created by Guns N Roses. Excludes The Spaghetti Incident and GNR Lies.:

Appetite for Destruction - 21,725,100

Use Your Illusions I - 10,004,262

Use Your Illusions II - 10,634,400

Chinese Democracy - 2,881,250

Total - 45,245,012 Albums Sold

Green Day album sales based on number of records sold (Approximately). This is a number based on the material created by Green Day. Excludes Shenanigans and other live albums:

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - 600,000

Kerplunk - 750,000

Dookie - 12,325,205

Insomniac - 9,350,000

Nimrod - 6,000,000

Warning - 3,000,000

American Idiot - 15,000,000

21st Century Breakdown - 3,500,000

Uno - 250,000

Dos - 69,000

Tre - 58,000

Total - 50,902,205 Albums Sold

So needless to say, Guns N Roses has not sold over 100,000,000 records, AND Green Day has sold more. Your point is invalid.

False information

Seriously, you are saying ALL the songs sound the same because THREE have the same DRUM intro?? Not the same guitar riff or bass line, but same DRUM intro? Fuck man that's petty. That's really weak. I could easily pick out 15 GnR songs that sound the exact same. They are just one of those groups that have a lot of filler in their discography. For fans that filler may be awesome, but as an outsider it's just fuckign filler for me. Also, I have listened to GnR and I was never a big fan of them. They had a few good songs, but I really didn't enjoy most of it. You are really coming off a troll, ya know? You act as if reviewer ratings determine and albums quality, and argue that because BJA isn't in the top 100 that he is not, as a fact!, better than GnR. Man, get your head out of your ass. Most of those "Top 100" polls put the "Classics" high up on the list even if they really have horrible vocals or just average guitarists.

Barack Obama IS President. You are talking about a FACT right there, that's a true factual statement. Trying to say all the songs soung the same is an opinion, one I avidly disagree with. I did check it out, multiple times. Only a moron would go into a trilogy thinking every song will sound different.

The intros was just an example, not going to waste my time thinking of every single little detail

Yes I'm sure that songs like Longview, Welcome to Paradise, 80, 86, The Grouch, and Deadbeat Holiday were written with musicals and making money in mind.

Oh. Wait.

And to reply to something you said a page back, I have heard Estranged. It's fucking awful. And I thought it was awful even when I thought GnR were good. Theres a reason I've been listening to Green Day for 10 years, and for why I haven't actively listened to GNR since I was 14.

That just reflects your lack of knowledge of music

You shouldn't even be here

Man you guys are very angry.

Why can't we be friends? A "welcome to the forum" would be nice

Hey guys, how's it going? I like Green Day

Everything is going to be alright my friends. You can listen to your nose plugged singer that can't play the guitar all you want. Everyone has their own opinions.

Guns N' Roses> Green Day

There's a reason why Green Days only fan base is kids, cause they're the only people that'll listen to their shallow music

Peace,

Axl

Pretty Tied Up- Sitar

Human Being- Kazoo

Breakdown- Banjo

Pretty true

Im just here to show the "tea partty" Green Day fans that theyre crazy

False information

The intros was just an example, not going to waste my time thinking of every single little detail

That just reflects your lack of knowledge of music

You shouldn't even be here

Dude, you've just fucking lost on every point you've tried to make.

On your posts about GnR using so many different things in music, you pulled up 3 things. Green Day has used Harmonica, accordion, electric sitar, full orchestras, and several other odd end instruments throughout their carreer that I just can't think of right now that many rock or heavy bands wouldn't touch.

Also, Guns N Roses formed in 85, Green Day formed in 87. In that time frame, GnR put out SIX studio albums. GD put out 11 records. So you are wrong again. That's not even pulling out Shenanigans and all of the B-Sides Green Day has besides those.

really, what is your point in all of this? to prove that GnR is a better band? You're in the wrong place for that. To prove that Green Day isn't the best group ever? REALLY in the wrong place for that, as this is a FAN SITE. That Green Day isn't as good as we think it is? That's an opinion, and one you can not defend here.

Whatever you're trying to do here, you are doing it VERY VERY poorly. It's hilarious how many people have knocked down what you've said. Before you preach about checking facts, at least pull up the damn wikipedia articles.

Jar Jar Binks and Axl Rose in the same place, I can't think of anything worse to be honest.

Possibly best post on this page. Someone needs to nominate this for post of the week in the newsletter. :lol:

Dude, you've just fucking lost on every point you've tried to make.

On your posts about GnR using so many different things in music, you pulled up 3 things. Green Day has used Harmonica, accordion, electric sitar, full orchestras, and several other odd end instruments throughout their carreer that I just can't think of right now that many rock or heavy bands wouldn't touch.

Also, Guns N Roses formed in 85, Green Day formed in 87. In that time frame, GnR put out SIX studio albums. GD put out 11 records. So you are wrong again. That's not even pulling out Shenanigans and all of the B-Sides Green Day has besides those.

really, what is your point in all of this? to prove that GnR is a better band? You're in the wrong place for that. To prove that Green Day isn't the best group ever? REALLY in the wrong place for that, as this is a FAN SITE. That Green Day isn't as good as we think it is? That's an opinion, and one you can not defend here.

Whatever you're trying to do here, you are doing it VERY VERY poorly. It's hilarious how many people have knocked down what you've said. Before you preach about checking facts, at least pull up the damn wikipedia articles.

Well I was right but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Had a good day

Axl

False information
You're telling someone else they're using false information 1 post after you've claimed Guns n Roses had sold more than twice as much as they really have JUST to prove that the band is better than GD?

Holy SHIT! You're on GREEN DAY community, not "I like Green Day, they were alright like 8 years ago-community".

Everyone has an opinion, but yours is bizarre, and you're only provoking others to flat out disagree with you and your delusion that GNR somehow outplays GD when it comes to fans and sales.

Shut the fuck up, go home and cry on the face of your Axl Rose poster.

And just to add, I don't know where you got your sales numbers from, but I googled each album and put the numbers together. Not counting the live albums, Shenanigans, International superhits OR slappy hours.

It's over 70 million. I don't even know how many fucking zeroes that is.

Archived