Bad, classless reviews of the trilogy are really pissing me off

Ashkonmusic

I don't give a shit about reviews or others opinions. My own opinion that I develop in my own mind is what matters to me, and if anyone thinks different, start a whiny blog.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People.. You know... the first time I heard to all three albums, without any influence, just loving green day's previous albums, I was shocked. Probably the most brillant thing that they have done ,for me. I started listening that all the time.. I did not realized that I was starting a war. Every day, in every fucking place, if my iphone rings with "Walk away", if someone realizes on facebook that i am a fan, if i casually wear a green day's last tour tshirt... people just begin criticizing them, and obviously begin to judge me as an ignorant in music, just because i don't listen to real rock music. you know.. in the world absurd point of view: ROCK= LED ZEPPELIN, ACDC, MUSE. some else and STOP. People are very schematic.. A long time ago everyone had his opinion, now people feel very lonely and decided to find something that is good for all, without any doubt, the rest is bad. They are schematic.. We are not schematic, We have our opinions. It's different. unfortunately all reviewers now are influenced by society.. they start reviewing with all the world saying them.. green day is shit! it's not even punk! it's old! We all like Gangnam Style!!! Rihanna! this is music!! or even old rockbands! they feel like we feel when society judge our Green Day passion. how can they be objective? Could a great reviewer say something out of the mass opinion?! i think NO.

We feel so free in this fucking world, but we are continuosly conditioned and we don't realize it...

it's their opinion. i mean who cares? if you like it, it doesn't mean they'll like it.... but i have to think this is a poorly written review of Tre!

What's ridiculous about this review? Because it's negative? Because it's brutally honest?

Brutally honest? It's a person's opinion. The argument can be made that fans are better judges of an artist's work and vise versa.

I think it's ridiculous that they would call on Green Day to retire simply because the reviewer believes that the albums haven't been up to snuff (which is his opinion, not some sort of poignant fact). I disagree heavily with that point, and most of the review for that matter.

Brutally honest? It's a person's opinion. The argument can be made that fans are better judges of an artist's work and vise versa.

I think it's ridiculous that they would call on Green Day to retire simply because the reviewer believes that the albums haven't been up to snuff (which is his opinion, not some sort of poignant fact). I disagree heavily with that point, and most of the review for that matter.

Brutally honest meaning speaking his mind, which is connected to his opinion.

I've seen a lot of people share his opinion, go onto any site that isn't occupied solely by Green Day fans and you'll see that reception is nowhere near as positive as it is here. A lot of people (some even saying to be Green Day fans) saying these albums are average to below average might not mean the albums are in fact those things, but it COULD possibly reflect them.

Do I personally think they're average? Well, truth be told there wasn't anything on these albums that I haven't seen another band do better.

Lyrically, musically, melodic wise. Nothing here Sum 41, Simple Plan, MCR or Fallout Boy couldn't do.

Idea wise the trilogy is very ambitious, but music wise it's as far from that as possible.

Sure, a few songs might not be standard, but that's just a few out of almost 40.

The albums lyrically don't feel very organic or natural to me, they sound very forced. Trying too hard to be angry, too hard to be deep, too hard to be something more. They feel slapped together and disjointed at some points, contradictory on others, and down right grimance worthy on others still. I mean, if you're going to release over 30 songs, you need to make sure they're 30 songs you would have released on past albums. Having shorter songs is understandable, but just because a song is short doesn't mean it can't have a journey like feel through it, where it feels like more than just...there. The White Album was full of 2 minute songs, but they were Iayered and a some very intricate, and the album experimented enough to keep my interest throughout because it provided so much musical variety, something the trilogy doesn't do often enough. 95% of it is just the same guitar sounds, the same one two, one two drums and same bass. I'm personally not going to lower my standards for any band, because if I ever feel I'd have to in order to somewhat apperciate what they're doing, then I personally think they aren't worth my time considering how many other artists there are out there. Why shouldn't they call Green Day to retire if that's what they felt they should do? I'd much rather Green Day retire now then wind up releasing bad, generic, boring album after album. If these albums reflect what the future has in store, which who knows, then I could honestly see that happening. I'm tired of standard Green Day, I want to see the band challenge themselves and their fans musically.

It is hard to be such a fan of and love a band so much then have someone says something nasty about them, it can even hurt more than having someone insult you personally. I remember one day back in high school when I mentioned Green Day and this boy I kind of liked started ranting about how Billie is a horrible guitarist and he said something like "Honestly, I don't know why Green Day even keeps him". I was so taken aback that I didn't have a response and later was sobbing at home. Of course, after that, he was an enemy.

The point of this story is to say that yes, everyone has opinions and sometimes they can be vile, nasty, and, from our point of view dead wrong. But that is no reason to let what someone has said or written get to you so much. Especially when you know they're full of shit. I've always been a very sensitive person and it's still hard for me to blow those types of things off, but it's an essential thing to do in these sorts of situations. We know how great Green Day is and that's what is the most important. We should really feel sorry for those people who are so vehement toward them because they are missing out on one of the best things in the world. But still, people like these vicious critics that have been popping up to rip Green Day apart lately should really just stop. There is room for criticism in this world, but there's no room for just pure attack. There is no reason to hate any band, unless they've committed murder or something like that. Sure there are those artists you can't stand, but there's no reason to hate or loath, just don't pay attention to them. That's what I don't get. Those people who waste a bunch of emotion and energy attacking Green Day just because they don't like them. If you don't like them, don't waste your thoughts on them. Maybe I'm just rambling now, but I feel like I needed to say those things.

It doesn't bother me at all that people dislike the band. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I just dislike the tasteless reviews that state "These albums are horrible." A good reviewer should at least state why it's a bad album.

Then there are the reviews that are obviously biased. I've read some where I question if they've even heard the albums...

Brutally honest meaning speaking his mind, which is connected to his opinion.

I've seen a lot of people share his opinion, go onto any site that isn't occupied solely by Green Day fans and you'll see that reception is nowhere near as positive as it is here. A lot of people (some even saying to be Green Day fans) saying these albums are average to below average might not mean the albums are in fact those things, but it COULD possibly reflect them.

Do I personally think they're average? Well, truth be told there wasn't anything on these albums that I haven't seen another band do better.

Lyrically, musically, melodic wise. Nothing here Sum 41, Simple Plan, MCR or Fallout Boy couldn't do.

Idea wise the trilogy is very ambitious, but music wise it's as far from that as possible.

Sure, a few songs might not be standard, but that's just a few out of almost 40.

The albums lyrically don't feel very organic or natural to me, they sound very forced. Trying too hard to be angry, too hard to be deep, too hard to be something more. They feel slapped together and disjointed at some points, contradictory on others, and down right grimance worthy on others still. I mean, if you're going to release over 30 songs, you need to make sure they're 30 songs you would have released on past albums. Having shorter songs is understandable, but just because a song is short doesn't mean it can't have a journey like feel through it, where it feels like more than just...there. The White Album was full of 2 minute songs, but they were Iayered and a some very intricate, and the album experimented enough to keep my interest throughout because it provided so much musical variety, something the trilogy doesn't do often enough. 95% of it is just the same guitar sounds, the same one two, one two drums and same bass. I'm personally not going to lower my standards for any band, because if I ever feel I'd have to in order to somewhat apperciate what they're doing, then I personally think they aren't worth my time considering how many other artists there are out there. Why shouldn't they call Green Day to retire if that's what they felt they should do? I'd much rather Green Day retire now then wind up releasing bad, generic, boring album after album. If these albums reflect what the future has in store, which who knows, then I could honestly see that happening. I'm tired of standard Green Day, I want to see the band challenge themselves and their fans musically.

There's nothing "brutally honest" about speaking your mind, especially when it comes to saying negative things about Green Day, or any band for that matter. For instance, the rest of the bands you mentioned, sans My Chemical Romance, are nowhere near the level of musicality that Green Day has exhibited, whether it be on these albums or the past ones. They may have progressed, but in my opinion, that's not saying much. And there you go, I was "brutally honest."

There are also plenty of other people on non-GD fan sites that enjoy the albums as well. I've seen both sides clearly, I understand that the reception of this project has been very mixed. Every Green Day album has been like this, nothing has really changed in terms of reception from those who choose to soapbox themselves on the internet. Seeing as you are a person who does not like the music, it's very likely that you are purposely looking for the negative reception or you are naturally attracted to sites that would promote this type of perception, and there is nothing wrong with that.

And as for the rest of your opinion, I understand you're entitled to it and whatnot but I really don't care. I think this is great material, regardless of whether or not it's Green Day, and I also think that there are several other outside forces that have skewed the perception of the Trilogy, but I've said it so many times I'm just tired of it. So, enjoy your Fall Out Boy or whatever, I'm going to go enjoy the trilogy one more time.

Because they're terrible songs.

I wouldn't consider "Fuck Time" terrible. It's fairly repetitive and I wish they would have done a little more instrumentally, but it's not complete shit.

"Nightlife" is.

I wouldn't consider "Fuck Time" terrible. It's fairly repetitive and I wish they would have done a little more instrumentally, but it's not complete shit.

"Nightlife" is.

It's not either. I like Nightlife a lot. I love the bassline :) And Lady Cobra's rap sounds really good. I don't know the lyrics to it because my copy of ¡Dos! never arrived ( :dry:) but without reading the lyrics I love it :)

It's not either. I like Nightlife a lot. I love the bassline :) And Lady Cobra's rap sounds really good. I don't know the lyrics to it because my copy of ¡Dos! never arrived ( :dry:) but without reading the lyrics I love it :)

It just seems a little boring to me, for some reason. It has grown on me a little since the first time I heard it, I'll admit that.

There's nothing "brutally honest" about speaking your mind, especially when it comes to saying negative things about Green Day, or any band for that matter. For instance, the rest of the bands you mentioned, sans My Chemical Romance, are nowhere near the level of musicality that Green Day has exhibited, whether it be on these albums or the past ones. They may have progressed, but in my opinion, that's not saying much. And there you go, I was "brutally honest."

There are also plenty of other people on non-GD fan sites that enjoy the albums as well. I've seen both sides clearly, I understand that the reception of this project has been very mixed. Every Green Day album has been like this, nothing has really changed in terms of reception from those who choose to soapbox themselves on the internet. Seeing as you are a person who does not like the music, it's very likely that you are purposely looking for the negative reception or you are naturally attracted to sites that would promote this type of perception, and there is nothing wrong with that.

And as for the rest of your opinion, I understand you're entitled to it and whatnot but I really don't care. I think this is great material, regardless of whether or not it's Green Day, and I also think that there are several other outside forces that have skewed the perception of the Trilogy, but I've said it so many times I'm just tired of it. So, enjoy your Fall Out Boy or whatever, I'm going to go enjoy the trilogy one more time.

I don't listen to Fallout Boy or any of those other bands. I said I feel any of these bands could have done this trilogy.

There isn't anything here that I feel puts Green Day above an "average" band. Even amongst their peers.

I don't listen to Fallout Boy or any of those other bands. I said I feel any of these bands could have done this trilogy.

There isn't anything here that I feel puts Green Day above an "average" band. Even amongst their peers.

But those bands aren't their peers. Green Day's peers are Metallica, Foo Fighters, Weezer, MCR, Blink-182. And then there are their East Bay Punk contemporaries, like Bad Religion and Rancid.

And the bands you mentioned would not have been able to do this. People treat punk pop like it's some sort of throwaway genre, if its become that, its because of throwaway (and terrible) bands that followed Green Day and (mostly) Blink-182.

The lyrics are horrendous.

But those bands aren't their peers. Green Day's peers are Metallica, Foo Fighters, Weezer, MCR, Blink-182. And then there are their East Bay Punk contemporaries, like Bad Religion and Rancid.

And the bands you mentioned would not have been able to do this. People treat punk pop like it's some sort of throwaway genre, if its become that, its because of throwaway (and terrible) bands that followed Green Day and (mostly) Blink-182.

And perhaps U2, Pearl Jam and even Muse are all part of Green Day's peers.

I could care less about the reviews. Green Day gave us 37 new songs from which any one could pick out there favourites. Even a hater could pick out atleast 8 songs that they enjoyed. All of the albums didn't score crap at one website, there would probably be two albums that got a low rating and one that got a great one. Like on Sputnik, iUno! got 1/5, iDos! got 1.5/5, but iTre! got 3.5/5 which was a lot better. This trilogy can satisfy anyone, from the Dookie era GD fans to the AI and 21CBD fans to the haters, and that's whats so great about it. They've always pushed themselves higher and higher, bringing us something new all the time and that's why they are my favourite band. They don't care whether they will become the greatest band on earth or fall down in their faces, they just push forward.

And perhaps U2, Pearl Jam and even Muse are all part of Green Day's peers.

Yes they are, thank you for pointing them out too.

The reason they're bagging on Green Day for making a trilogy is because they have seen it happen before with Led Zepplin, Guns N Roses, etc... but what they dont realize is they made a trilogy, each album pertaining to and having their own individual sound and meaning. If you listen to Led Zepplins or Guns N Roses Use Your Illusions I and II, you will find they're are just a bunch of the same shit mashed together. That is what critics dont understand. I dont listen to them. My favorite album is everyone's least favorite, Dos, and that is the supposed "worst" of the three.

I do like Led and Guns by the way. Not saying they're bad, they're amazing.

Also, I'm sorry, but who compares Green Day to the Chicago Cubs. Like, is that guy an idiot? They cant even compare to the Cubs, the Cubs suck. (I'm from St. Louis.)

I never said they were their peers. I was naming off the most well known pop punk bands there are.

And yeah, I'm fairly certain a lot of them could. There's nothing experimental per se about these albums in general, each album is mostly standard pop punk. Most songs from iUno!, iDos!, and iTre! could be rearranged and they wouldn't feel out of place.

iUno! I agree is powerpop, but only part of iDos! fits into the garage rock category, and iTre! is mostly like iUno! and most of iDos!.

Standard Pop Punk Tracks:

Nuclear Family

Stay The Night

Let Yourself Go

Fell For You

Loss of Control

Troublemaker

Angel Blue

Sweet 16

Rusty James

Oh Love

SWTRLF

Lazy Bones

Wild One

Stray Heart

Ashley

Baby Eyes

Nightlife

Amy

Missing You

8th AS

X-Kid

SD&V

LBNT

Amanda

99 Revolutions

Experimental Tracks:

Kill The DJ

Nightlife

Brutal Love

Dirty Rotten Bastards

The Forgotten

Garage Rock Tracks:

Fuck Time

Makeout Party

Lady Cobra

Wow! That's Loud

I never said they were their peers. I was naming off the most well known pop punk bands there are.

And yeah, I'm fairly certain a lot of them could. There's nothing experimental per se about these albums in general, each album is mostly standard pop punk. Most songs from iUno!, iDos!, and iTre! could be rearranged and they wouldn't feel out of place.

iUno! I agree is powerpop, but only part of iDos! fits into the garage rock category, and iTre! is mostly like iUno! and most of iDos!.

Nightlife is a standard pop-punk track? And that's just the most questionable of your classifications...

Nightlife is a standard pop-punk track? And that's just the most questionable of your classifications...

I said mostly, not entirely, and in general, I just listed the standard and experimental songs.

The reason they're bagging on Green Day for making a trilogy is because they have seen it happen before with Led Zepplin, Guns N Roses, etc... but what they dont realize is they made a trilogy, each album pertaining to and having their own individual sound and meaning. If you listen to Led Zepplins or Guns N Roses Use Your Illusions I and II, you will find they're are just a bunch of the same shit mashed together. That is what critics dont understand. I dont listen to them. My favorite album is everyone's least favorite, Dos, and that is the supposed "worst" of the three.

I do like Led and Guns by the way. Not saying they're bad, they're amazing.

Also, I'm sorry, but who compares Green Day to the Chicago Cubs. Like, is that guy an idiot? They cant even compare to the Cubs, the Cubs suck. (I'm from St. Louis.)

Thank you so much for pointing this out. No band, not even the Beatles, has ever had outright praise when a double album or similar project is released. Take a look the RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, or Use Your Illusion by GN'R, or The Rolling Stone's Exile on Main St. Thing's like this never go over well initially, but they prove to be more and more praised as they age. Critics were saying the same things about those albums when they were released that they are saying about the Trilogy, this is all nothing new.

Amy is Pop Punk too. Didn't you hear.

I said mostly, not entirely, and in general, I just listed the standard and experimental songs.

Also, well over half of the songs you said were mostly pop punk have far more of a garage rock or classic rock vibe.

Amy is Pop Punk too. Didn't you hear.

Troublemaker too. Is this the real life?

Also, well over half of the songs you said were mostly pop punk have far more of a garage rock or classic rock vibe.

Troublemaker too. Is this the real life?

I heard it was fantasy. Not sure though.

Archived