Bad, classless reviews of the trilogy are really pissing me off

Ashkonmusic

Look, there are ALWAYS going to be critics who don't like Green Day. So? They're human beings with preferences. There are plenty of bands and artists whose careers I don't think are going anywhere, who I wish would just get the fuck off my radio or TV screen. And I think I and the entire GD fan base knows that some pissy little review has no effect whatsoever on the band's continuation.

And for God's sake check this out: http://www.metacritic.com/person/green-day Their albums are, on the whole, well rated, especially compared to some bands out there. The reviews are not that terrible, come on.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats why you don't read reviews of professional reviewers. They are full of shit, half the time they have no idea what they are talking about and the other half of the time they are reviewing something that is not going to be to there taste before it even starts (either they hate the band/franchise/genre). Most of them have their head stuck so far up their arse they have no idea what is going on.

I couldn't agree more with this topic.

I got into reading album reviews online about the time ¡Uno! was released (and let me just say, they're not all bad, I found one stating it was better than Dookie) and i discovered www.sputnikmusic.com and WOW. The bias towards Green Day on that site is incredible! People instantly dismiss them as 'shit' or 'old' or 'lol this band thinks ther still relevant' and that really gets to me. Now some of these reviews are well written, but some are down as 1/5 or 1.5/5 and they don't even talk about the album itself! They ramble on about "how old are these guys now, 40?" and how "they need to stop making music" without even dwelling into the record itself!

¡Uno! has an average score of 2.5/5 making it 'average', ¡Dos! has an average score of 2/5 making it 'poor' and ¡Tre! has an average score of 2.9/5 making it almost 'good'. No review for any album for the trilogy is over 3.5/5. (But what do these guys know, they have American Idiot down as only 3.3/5 on average!)

But what's sad is it's not only user reviews on this site. There's actually staff reviews too which let me just say are equally as biased and geared towards hating Green Day because it's cool as the user reviews. Now I respect people's opinions and I understand where the negative reviews are coming from regarding the trilogy but this is just pure hatred. I don't think the trilogy is Green Day's best work but it's not bad!! Not worthy of all the hate.

So I advise you to just take a look at that site and their reviews for Green Day, and read the comments on the reviews too. You'll see where I'm coming from.

(I'm sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes or if that didn't make sense, I typed it in a rush!)

Also, look at the comments on the 'Consequence of Sound' review that Ashkonmusic posted, they're strongly defending Green Day!

I also really fucking hate the stereotype that all Green Day fans are screaming pubescent 12 year olds who liked 'Wake Me Up When September Ends'.

Would you stop posting so aggressively? If anything it's provoking the argument, not helping people to understand your point.

Yeah, please take it easy on the all caps dude, I literally cannot read your posts anymore.

Okay :D

To all those people defending the revews: This thread is based on reviews which are negative for no apparent reason given.Even American Idiot recieved Bad reviews and so did Uno, Dos and Tre.Nobody minds bad reviews.I mean Not everyone is going to like the idea of the trilogy, which should be respected.The problem is that some of the reviewers give no reason as to why they hate a particular album, which is irritating and dissappointing at the same time.None of us here are against Bad reviews.But if the review is bad,Atleast give a reason as to why it is bad!.I am sorry but it is boring,lethargic,dum etc is not valid.Tell us how it lacks musically, what elements would have made it better or why the musical composition or lyrical composition of the song is not acceptable.Even if they have the dumest of the replies for this question, it is still acceptable, because every person has a different opinion.But if you avoid these questions and says that the album sucls just because it does or you knew from the starting it would, it is highly unacceptable.It's not that ALL REVIEWS for the trilogy are, but only some are, and those bad reviews are the cause for this anger.

^^ A clean version of the post.Thank You

Huh, but Justin Bieber there rocks.

Don't get Justin Beiber in the argument buddy.People think it's offensive :)

To all those people defending the revews: This thread is based on reviews which are negative for no apparent reason given.Even American Idiot recieved Bad reviews and so did Uno, Dos and Tre.Nobody minds bad reviews.I mean Not everyone is going to like the idea of the trilogy, which should be respected.The problem is that some of the reviewers give no reason as to why they hate a particular album, which is irritating and dissappointing at the same time.None of us here are against Bad reviews.But if the review is bad,Atleast give a reason as to why it is bad!.I am sorry but it is boring,lethargic,dum etc is not valid.Tell us how it lacks musically, what elements would have made it better or why the musical composition or lyrical composition of the song is not acceptable.Even if they have the dumest of the replies for this question, it is still acceptable, because every person has a different opinion.But if you avoid these questions and says that the album sucls just because it does or you knew from the starting it would, it is highly unacceptable.It's not that ALL REVIEWS for the trilogy are, but only some are, and those bad reviews are the cause for this anger.

^^ A clean version of the post.Thank You

Don't get Justin Beiber in the argument buddy.People think it's offensive :)

Okay then, but just giving an example. Croatian reviews sucks!

Did you read what I wrote? That's basically what I said. I have no patience for just mindless attacking.

I think I misread it. I somehow got the impression that you were angry that it was getting bad reviews because Green Day just shouldn't get bad reviews.

If that's not what you were getting at, I apologize and I probably misread it.

I think I misread it. I somehow got the impression that you were angry that it was getting bad reviews because Green Day just shouldn't get bad reviews.

If that's not what you were getting at, I apologize and I probably misread it.

That's okay. No hard feelings. :) Sorry if I seemed a little snippy too.

Hey guys, i'm new here, as you can tell by my name and profile pic, huge Guns N' Roses fan. I like GD a lot too but am also a big critic of the band as well, as I see way to many GD addicts who fail to see their flaws.

BJA descriced the 3 albums as: Uno-pop punk/"before the party" Dos- garage/"during the party", Tre- arena/"everyting thats left"

The 3 albums are all consisted of 3 minute catchy pop punk songs and the occasional crappy power ballad

Don't get me wrong I like the albums, but not for any sort of musical/lyrical genius. They are catchy songs that I can get into, but as for any deeper meaning, no. There is little substance to be found.

And as for the different genres the albums are supposed to sounds like, no, they all sound the same- catchy pop punk songs that have an upbeat tempo. None of this is either garage or epic. It is all pop punk

Really? Cause listening to the albums, I feel the songs come straight from Billie's diary, you have to pay close attention to the lyrics. Billie references being young again a lot, and a lot of the songs really do make it feel like Billie has hit a mid life crisis. I wanted to cry listening to Uno the minute Rusty James hit. I think Kill the DJ is the only song off that record that wasnt intended to have a deep meaning in his life, but the other songs can go back to the Dookie days. Tracks like Stay the Night, Angel Blue, Sweet 16, and Rusty James are deep. And thats only Uno. Dos leaves us knowing about Ashley, about his own life in Lazy Bones, and others such as Wild One and Baby Eyes have those lyrics that hint to his past and present. And then Tre hits and a lot of things start to take notice. 8th Avenue Serenade, Drama Queen, X-Kid, Sex, Drugs, and Violence, Little Boy Named Train, Dirty Rotten Bastards; all those relate to something. The lyrics hint it dude.

Also, the three albums do sound completely different. Uno, definately pop-punk. Dos, you hear the bass a lot more than normal songs. Tre, the songs consist of more than 3 chord melodies and simple drum tracks, and they added strings.

Compared to their other records, the trilogy consist of a large part of Billie's diary. I like to call it Nimrod part 2. Nimrod is the best lyrics Billie's ever written beside Dookie. and the trilogy (Other than some tracks off Dos) can relate to those lyrics in the early albums a lot more than they can American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown.

Think about it, why is Billie REALLY in rehab. The albums put a toll on Billie on a large part due to the amount of it had do with his own life.

Really? Cause listening to the albums, I feel the songs come straight from Billie's diary, you have to pay close attention to the lyrics. Billie references being young again a lot, and a lot of the songs really do make it feel like Billie has hit a mid life crisis. I wanted to cry listening to Uno the minute Rusty James hit. I think Kill the DJ is the only song off that record that wasnt intended to have a deep meaning in his life, but the other songs can go back to the Dookie days. Tracks like Stay the Night, Angel Blue, Sweet 16, and Rusty James are deep. And thats only Uno. Dos leaves us knowing about Ashley, about his own life in Lazy Bones, and others such as Wild One and Baby Eyes have those lyrics that hint to his past and present. And then Tre hits and a lot of things start to take notice. 8th Avenue Serenade, Drama Queen, X-Kid, Sex, Drugs, and Violence, Little Boy Named Train, Dirty Rotten Bastards; all those relate to something. The lyrics hint it dude.

Also, the three albums do sound completely different. Uno, definately pop-punk. Dos, you hear the bass a lot more than normal songs. Tre, the songs consist of more than 3 chord melodies and simple drum tracks, and they added strings.

Compared to their other records, the trilogy consist of a large part of Billie's diary. I like to call it Nimrod part 2. Nimrod is the best lyrics Billie's ever written beside Dookie. and the trilogy (Other than some tracks off Dos) can relate to those lyrics in the early albums a lot more than they can American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown.

Think about it, why is Billie REALLY in rehab. The albums put a toll on Billie on a large part due to the amount of it had do with his own life.

If you're definition of a different sounding album is a little more bass or strings, you must not listen to a whole lot of other music than pop punk. A majority of the songs on all 3 albums are upbeat power chorded songs. In my opinion, they all sound pop punk, and that's all you're ever going to get from Green Day, but if that's what you like, no problem. But don't come on here trying to make these albums out to be something they're not

First off, welcome to the forums! :D Everyone will either disagree and things will dwindle down to nothing until a mod interferes, or everyone agrees and you get so bored you just leave!

Hopefully I don't come off as a total ass in this post, so please don't take it personally. It's very late and I'm just posting to express my opinion. Even though I might not explicitly state it constantly, I totally respect your opinion, even if I seem a bit angered. I type emotionally ;D

Man I have heard the same thing about them all sounding the same several times now and it's so confusing. Maybe on first listen, but if you play the three in order you REALLY notice how different they sound. Dos is in huge contrast with Uno, and Tre is just a much more mellow and deep album than the other two at a glance. Being honest I think you may be a bit deaf to not hear how different Dos sounds from the other two in particular. The guitars alone sound notably heavier and dirtier that Uno.

On the 3 minute bit, I would have agreed initially. But! Upon further run throughs and observations you'll notice that 3-4 tracks on Uno are 4-6 minutes long, 3 on Dos are 4-5 minutes long, and 6 on Tre are 4-6 minutes long. If they're 3:40 and up I rounded, but still. That's 13 out of 37 tracks. The entirety of Dos basically. It also wouldn't seem like so little if it wasn't for tracks like See You Tonight, Lady cobra, Baby Eyes, and Stop When The Red Lights Flash that are 1-2 minutes long. So that leaves 20 in the range of 2:40-3:30. Honestly I love it. I loved this whole trilogy. Everything that comes out these days is so bogged down with concepts and trying to cram in so much into a 2.5 hour long film that it's crazy. I love having three new albums I can throw on that are filled with gorgeous ballds, crazy dance tracks, downright anthem like choruses, and several quick down and dirty tracks that are just, in the simplest way to say it, mind blowningly fun. If these were 45-50 minute long records each it would be so fucking boring. Dear god, I love this group but I could not have handled it XD I love how fast these albums move into each other and individually.

If you've heard from a lot of people that the albums sound the same, don't you think they may be on to something. If i had to guess, I'd say I've listened to the albums around 25 times each, and my opinion is still the same, the albums sounds way alike.

The length of a song has nothing to do with whether or not it's boring, maybe you have listened to too many boring long songs by GD? Personally I believe GD rarely makes songs past a 5-6 minute mark because they are not very musically talented. Making a 3 minute songs with an upbeat tempo is very easy to do once you've learned how to write music, it's the 7 minute epics that prove your worth, and quite frankly, GD never makes songs like that.

Maybe someday you'll hear Estranged by Guns N Roses and wonder where the hell has a song of this epicness been in my life.

I think All albums have some good elements and some bad.The same thing with other Green Day albums.So by saying thing one or two songs suck from the trilogy does not mean the trilogy sucks as a whole.

If you're definition of a different sounding album is a little more bass or strings, you must not listen to a whole lot of other music than pop punk. A majority of the songs on all 3 albums are upbeat power chorded songs. In my opinion, they all sound pop punk, and that's all you're ever going to get from Green Day, but if that's what you like, no problem. But don't come on here trying to make these albums out to be something they're not

If you've heard from a lot of people that the albums sound the same, don't you think they may be on to something. If i had to guess, I'd say I've listened to the albums around 25 times each, and my opinion is still the same, the albums sounds way alike.

The length of a song has nothing to do with whether or not it's boring, maybe you have listened to too many boring long songs by GD? Personally I believe GD rarely makes songs past a 5-6 minute mark because they are not very musically talented. Making a 3 minute songs with an upbeat tempo is very easy to do once you've learned how to write music, it's the 7 minute epics that prove your worth, and quite frankly, GD never makes songs like that.

Maybe someday you'll hear Estranged by Guns N Roses and wonder where the hell has a song of this epicness been in my life.

So because other people hold a similar opinion, that opinion must be right? Here I thought we were all adults and not kindergarten students. If you had listened to these albums 25 times each (which I doubt oh so very much) then you would clearly notice the differences. You must be tone deaf, it's a fact! Or maybe you haven't done the obvious test which is to play them all back to back in order? I've gone through them all that way multiple times and it's clear as day which album you are on aside from a few tracks.

On the "length equals boring" bit, you very obviously did not read what I said, which was that if all 3 albums had been 15 minutes longer, the whole thing would have been much more likely to be boring.

"7 minute epics that prove your worth"

So you forgot about Jesus of Suburbia, Homecoming, and Dirty Rotten Bastards? Jesus and Homecoming are 9 minutes each, but yea I guess that's just not "epic enough for you Guns N Roses fans. It takes an extrememly narrow minded person to think that a song has to be "long" and "epic" to be a good song. It could just as easily be said that the best songs are the ones that pack in the most meaning in the smallest amount of time.

On a closing note, you most definitely don't get what these albums are about, which is to get away from the huge concepts of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and to get out a lot of fun tracks. But gosh, I guess they have to put out 37 EPIC tracks, then continue putting out EPIC tracks for ever huh? :/ shucks, theres no way THAT could get boring.

Personally I believe GD rarely makes songs past a 5-6 minute mark because they are not very musically talented. Making a 3 minute songs with an upbeat tempo is very easy to do once you've learned how to write music, it's the 7 minute epics that prove your worth, and quite frankly, GD never makes songs like that.

I do hate people that thinks that a song to be good for real it should have more than 3 chords and last longer than 5 minutes.... it's stupid

i can apprecciate a 9 minutes heavy metal song as i can apprecciate a 2 minute punk rock song.

I don't think you are a worse musician just because you choose to play simple songs.. Take the biggest AC/DC classics (Highwat to Hell and Back In Black) they are short songs and at most they are the same cachy riff played over and over.

the real talent is to write a simple song that makes people feel better.. you don't need a 5 minutes guitar solo to show that you can play guitar

Personally I believe GD rarely makes songs past a 5-6 minute mark because they are not very musically talented. Making a 3 minute songs with an upbeat tempo is very easy to do once you've learned how to write music, it's the 7 minute epics that prove your worth, and quite frankly, GD never makes songs like that.

You say that GD are not musically talented? Are you kidding?

What are you doing here then?

No.

Any time you read a blindly and unjustly negative review that pisses you off just remember that Green Day has written amazing music that has changed people's lives, and that reviewer has not, so fuck them. :P

I want to start by saying that I'm a Green Day fan from Berkeley. I have followed the boys from their early years to now, and I'm so appreciative of the fact that GD fans from across the world have come together to form this community. I just joined and this is my first post, so I don't really know what to expect. I've actually never posted on any online community page before, but the aforementioned topic had me heated to the point that I needed a place to shout my frustrations and connect with people who could understand.

Obviously not all of the Uno!Dos!Tre! reviews have been bad. Actually a lot of them have been extremely positive. I was very happy about Rolling Stone's review of Tre! for example. Generally speaking the reviews have been mixed, which is FINE. I am realistic and don't expect every review to be positive. While I really enjoy Uno!Dos!Tre!, I am aware of some flaws (Dos! is more of a Foxboro HotTubs album than a GD album IMO, Fuck Time and Nightlife never needed to happen, Brutal Love rips off Sam Cooke's "Bring it on Home to Me" a bit too much for my liking, etc.). But there is a difference between writing a negative review and being a mean spirited, unqualified, HATER. This review and others like it fall into that category for me.

Who the hell are you to tell one of the most accomplished bands of our generation to stop making records? It's one thing to critique the songs on a bands album, but it's another thing entirely to write an article that reeks of resentment, and hatred. Some of these goddamn reviewers are so detached from what it means to actually be in a band... they talk about these albums as if Green Day is just a cultural entity that should be this, or that, but the fact is that Green Day is just a band. A good band, that has been making good music for a very long time. They may not be your cup of tea, or you may like some albums better than others, but to disrespect these guys that have been making rock music at a high level for so long, it's just shameful. As Billie said himself, they've "been around since f'n nineteen eighty f'n eight. They're not Justin Bieber you motherF#@ckrs! LOL

Seriously though, so often critics forget that these are just guys making records. And I think particularly when you're talking about a band like GD, you need to show a degree of respect when you write about them. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on all of this, and for what it's worth, now that all three albums are out, I am so thoroughly enjoying having them all on one playlist and putting them on shuffle. What a slew of good rock and roll songs. Thanks boys.

-Ashkon from Berkeley

This wasn't nearly as vitriolic as you made it out to be. I thought the review was pretty even; at worst, it was slightly misinformed (the story behind the "X-Kid" lyrics).

The Ryne Sandberg comparison fell a little flat, but the guy sounded most critical of the first two albums. He describes a few tracks as being "great," and most of them as "not bad." He probably could have hated a lot harder if he wanted to. You have to remember that not everyone who reviews a Green Day album is necessarily a Green Day fan.

I hated Tre after the first listen. It was disappointing, and there wasn't one song that I really loved. Eventually I came around on it, but it's still my least favorite of the three. And that's just my opinion. Yours is probably different from mine and everyone else's. Doesn't make you or me or the reviewer right or wrong.

You say that GD are not musically talented? Are you kidding?

What are you doing here then?

Is BJA a top 100 singer or guitar player? No, Hes not even a top 100 songwriter.

Axl Rose is a top 25 singer of all time

Slash is a top 25 guitar player of all time

Appetite For Destruction is a top 25 album of all time

GD does not fall in any of those catergories, they make simple upbeat songs with the occasional Jesus Of Suburbia, WHICH IS FINE!

I like Green Day

But I know what they are and what they are not, and unfortunately many of you are too butt hurt to realize that GD is not as good as you guys think

Any time you read a blindly and unjustly negative review that pisses you off just remember that Green Day has written amazing music that has changed people's lives, and that reviewer has not, so fuck them. :P

Nickelback and Justin Beiber have changed live as well but that doesnt mean anything if you cant back it up

I think All albums have some good elements and some bad.The same thing with other Green Day albums.So by saying thing one or two songs suck from the trilogy does not mean the trilogy sucks as a whole.

Sounds like youre the voice of reason here, well done!

Give Estranged a good listen before you make assumptions

Estranged> Any song GD has ever made

No.

Typical GD fan who refuses to believe there is better music out there.

Typical GD fan who refuses to believe there is better music out there.
Typical Guns n Roses fan refusing to admit that they're not as good as they were.

Is BJA a top 100 singer or guitar player? No, Hes not even a top 100 songwriter.

Axl Rose is a top 25 singer of all time

Slash is a top 25 guitar player of all time

Appetite For Destruction is a top 25 album of all time

GD does not fall in any of those catergories, they make simple upbeat songs with the occasional Jesus Of Suburbia, WHICH IS FINE!

I like Green Day

But I know what they are and what they are not, and unfortunately many of you are too butt hurt to realize that GD is not as good as you guys think.

I completely understand someone not worshipping Green Day like gods; everyone has their own opinion. In fact, Green Day isn't really my favorite band anymore (although I do still love them). However, if you come on to this forum and bash the band without having an argument other than "Axl Rose is better," you are going to be ripped apart.

So because other people hold a similar opinion, that opinion must be right? Here I thought we were all adults and not kindergarten students. If you had listened to these albums 25 times each (which I doubt oh so very much) then you would clearly notice the differences. You must be tone deaf, it's a fact! Or maybe you haven't done the obvious test which is to play them all back to back in order? I've gone through them all that way multiple times and it's clear as day which album you are on aside from a few tracks.

On the "length equals boring" bit, you very obviously did not read what I said, which was that if all 3 albums had been 15 minutes longer, the whole thing would have been much more likely to be boring.

"7 minute epics that prove your worth"

So you forgot about Jesus of Suburbia, Homecoming, and Dirty Rotten Bastards? Jesus and Homecoming are 9 minutes each, but yea I guess that's just not "epic enough for you Guns N Roses fans. It takes an extrememly narrow minded person to think that a song has to be "long" and "epic" to be a good song. It could just as easily be said that the best songs are the ones that pack in the most meaning in the smallest amount of time.

On a closing note, you most definitely don't get what these albums are about, which is to get away from the huge concepts of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and to get out a lot of fun tracks. But gosh, I guess they have to put out 37 EPIC tracks, then continue putting out EPIC tracks for ever huh? :/ shucks, theres no way THAT could get boring.

JoS and HC are great songs, but theyre so few and far between, thus proving GD's lack of talent.

If everyone says that Baradk Obama is Lresident, maybe you should take a good look. Doesnt make it absolute fact, but if everyone is saying it, then you should look.

You know your songs sound the same when I cant tell a differences between the intros of Fuck Time, Lazy Bones, and 99 Revolutions

JoS and HC are great songs, but theyre so few and far between, thus proving GD's lack of talent.

If everyone says that Barack Obama is president, maybe you should take a good look. Doesnt make it absolute fact, but if everyone is saying it, then you should look.

You know your songs sound the same when I cant tell a differences between the intros of Fuck Time, Lazy Bones, and 99 Revolutions

I completely understand someone not worshipping Green Day like gods; everyone has their own opinion. In fact, Green Day isn't really my favorite band anymore (although I do still love them). However, if you come on to this forum and bash the band without having an argument other than "Axl Rose is better," you are going to be ripped apart.

Theres a reason why a ton of people hate GD, and its justifiable

Typical Guns n Roses fan refusing to admit that they're not as good as they were.
Chinese Democracy got the same ratings as Uno

Even at GnR's worst, they are still better than Green Days best

Sucks to be you guys

GnR will never be as good as theh used to be, I understand that. Im just waiting for butt hurt GD fans to havd their epiphany moment that GD isnt that great

If everyone says that Baradk Obama is Lresident, maybe you should take a good look. Doesnt make it absolute fact, but if everyone is saying it, then you should look.

Theres a reason why a ton of people hate GD, and its justifiable

First off, if you can't tell the difference between the intros to those three songs, you're quite clearly tone deaf. Second, I could just as easily say Guns 'N' Roses are horrible and justify it. Your opinion is not fact. Grow up.

First off, if you can't tell the difference between the intros to those three songs, you're quite clearly tone deaf. Second, I could just as easily say Guns 'N' Roses are horrible and justify it. Your opinion is not fact. Grow up.
Im listening

You must be tone deaf, because they all have the same beat

Tell me why Guns N Roses is musically horrible

Archived