Bad, classless reviews of the trilogy are really pissing me off

Ashkonmusic

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are Metallica and U2 Green Day peers? Like longtivity wise? Cant be musice wise they are all different genres cant be sales wise cause U2 and Metallica has sold double and triple GD has.... so how exactly are they peers as U2 or Metallica?

Also, well over half of the songs you said were mostly pop punk have far more of a garage rock or classic rock vibe.

Troublemaker too. Is this the real life?

Listen to Ashley and Let Yourself Go.

Lazy Bones is pop punk, Baby Eyes is pop punk (similar sound and feel in it's verses to Loss of Control).

Wild One is a darker song than most on iUno!, reminicent of Creep, and Creep

isn't a classic rock or garage rock song. Stray Heart could possibly be catagorized as classic rock,

but mainly because of the bass sound, it's more of a poppy sort than say Makeout Party or Lady Cobra.

Stop When The Red Lights Flash is sort of walks the line between them.

Amy isn't an experimental track and it surley isn't a garage rock track, it sort of fits into line with tracks like Good Riddance, Wake Me Up When September Ends, and Drama Queen. I probably should have let that one out like Drama Queen, because it doesn't fit into experimental because Green Day have done a number of songs by that type before. Troublemaker uses the riff from All The Time, and save for the solo is pretty much pop punk/power pop. It isn't experimental, unless you think hand claps are experimental.

How are Metallica and U2 Green Day peers? Like longtivity wise? Cant be musice wise they are all different genres cant be sales wise cause U2 and Metallica has sold double and triple GD has.... so how exactly are they peers as U2 or Metallica?

Huge bands that make a lot of money regardless, whenever they do something the public pays attention, huge fan-bases that transcend generational gaps, longevity, sell out arenas all around the world, just overall huge bands.

At least GD is our escape from reality.

Now stop it.

I sincerely apologize.

All the Norwegian reviews of the trilogy have been extremely mediocre, I would care but.. no. The reviewers are constantly pulling red threads between those old big bands who have done it all, and that provokes me.

Huge bands that make a lot of money regardless, whenever they do something the public pays attention, huge fan-bases that transcend generational gaps, longevity, sell out arenas all around the world, just overall huge bands.

Ahh yeah I see that now i was like peers how (going thru a family death so my thinking cap is slow to non exsistance right now) yeah sum 41 fall out boy are deft not in the same class as GD

Lazy Bones is pop punk, Baby Eyes is pop punk (similar sound and feel in it's verses to Loss of Control).

isn't a classic rock or garage rock song. Stray Heart could possibly be catagorized as classic rock,

but mainly because of the bass sound, it's more of a poppy sort than say Makeout Party or Lady Cobra.

Amy isn't an experimental track and it surley isn't a garage rock track, it sort of fits into line with tracks like Good Riddance, Wake Me Up When September Ends, and Drama Queen. I probably should have let that one out like Drama Queen, because it doesn't fit into experimental because Green Day have done a number of songs by that type before. Troublemaker uses the riff from All The Time, and save for the solo is pretty much pop punk/power pop. It isn't experimental, unless you think hand claps are experimental.

There are different types of garage rock you know.

Wild One is a grungy take on the 60's pop design. Like the Beach Boys if they were punk.

Stray Heart is 60's garage pop.

Amy is an R&B, solo du-op sound. Good Riddance and the other songs you mentioned are standard Rock N' Roll power ballads.

Drama Queen is Beatles type pop. They've never really done a simple ballad like that.

Troublemaker is 60's-70's garage again, with an upbeat, raunchy sound. Solidified by the American Woman guitar tone.

The only thing that I can agree is that Stop When The Red Lights Flash transcends both sounds. Otherwise...

Ahh yeah I see that now i was like peers how (going thru a family death so my thinking cap is slow to non exsistance right now) yeah sum 41 fall out boy are deft not in the same class as GD

Hey man keep your head up, you have my sincere condolences and I am very sorry for your loss.

Troublemaker - Garage rock

Sweet 16 - Slightly pop punk, but with more than a smidgeon of classic rock

Oh Love - Classic rock

SWTRLF - Garage rock, just cleaned up a little

Stray Heart - Classic rock, with a bubblegum flavour

Ashley - Equal parts garage rock and pop punk

Baby Eyes - same as Ashley

Amy - Yeah. Not pop punk.

X-Kid - More than a little classic rock in this.

All tracks you said were very much pop punk.

At least GD is our escape from reality.

Now stop it.

I sincerely apologize.

I don't. Never apologise for Queen.

Sorry to hear that man.

There are different types of garage rock you know.

Wild One is a grungy take on the 60's pop design. Like the Beach Boys if they were punk.

Stray Heart is 60's garage pop.

Amy is an R&B, solo du-op sound. Good Riddance and the other songs you mentioned are standard Rock N' Roll power ballads.

Drama Queen is Beatles type pop. They've never really done a simple ballad like that.

Troublemaker is 60's-70's garage again, with an upbeat, raunchy sound. Solidified by the American Woman guitar tone.

The only thing that I can agree is that Stop When The Red Lights Flash transcends both sounds. Otherwise...

Hey man keep your head up, you have my sincere condolences and I am very sorry for your loss.

Well that's not really fair. Almost any song can be traced to the 60s, and any slow song traced to The Beatles.

Garage rock typically means loud screechy guitars and vocals that sound straight from a busted speaker. Which is what they decided to use to represent iDos! with it's trailer (Fuck Time).

The way you're catagorizing, any rock song could be garage rock.

everything can be traced back to the Beatles, that's why I don't listen to them. Being a Beatles fan comes with responsibility, you can't talk about it without anyone getting all wise ass on you, bragging about how they are a bigger fan than you since they know shit and like the obscure shit.

everything can be traced back to the Beatles, that's why I don't listen to them. Being a Beatles fan comes with responsibility, you can't talk about it without anyone getting all wise ass on you, bragging about how they are a bigger fan than you since they know shit and like the obscure shit.

Same. Also, they bore the shit out of me.

I don't mean to even get into the semantics of it. Just that iUno!, iDos!, and iTre! aren't as that different from each other musically.

Maybe on a few tracks, but in general most songs could be on any 3 albums.

Because they're terrible songs.

No, your post was terrible ;)

You obviously have some issues about the themes of those two songs that make you sound really frustrated. You should work on that instead of saying crap about such awesome songs ;)

I don't mean to even get into the semantics of it. Just that iUno!, iDos!, and iTre! aren't as that different from each other musically.

Maybe on a few tracks, but in general most songs could be on any 3 albums.

Green Day wrote albums that are mainly pop punk. What a shock. That's their sound. The big deal is they did stuff that no pop punk band has attempted before.

Not as terrible as your post ;)

Good argument.

Green Day is one of those bands that people love to hate, though, most of the time their hate has little to no grounds and has minimal substance. Through their entire career Green Day has proven critics wrong and seemingly done the impossible.

Many people criticized Dookie because it was too poppy and light and speculated that Green Day didn't have it in them to hit harder, and no one expected a heavy aggressive abrasive album like Insomniac. Green Day proved them wrong.

After Insomniac no one expected they would make a genre-melting album like Nimrod. Nimrod features several sub-genres of rock and an acoustic ballad. Green Day proved critics wrong again.

And then Warning, which is a nod to folk rock and some great harmonics, who would have expected Green Day to do that? No one.

American Idiot doesn't need an explanation but after it's release, many critics laughed because they though Green Day wouldn't be able to make another sociopolitical epic masterpiece... well, Green Day did.

And the rest is history. A full length trilogy? Yeah, who saw that coming?

Green Day is constantly reinventing themselves and proving damn near everyone wrong. There were people in the underground during the early years that wrote Green Day off and never thought they would become one of the greatest bands in history. And that is why people hate Green Day, they don't just roll over and take it, they stand up and fight back ten times harder.

This. Green Day always fight back. We all expected "a" new album before, not three.

Green Day wrote albums that are mainly pop punk. What a shock. That's their sound. The big deal is they did stuff that no pop punk band has attempted before.

Good argument.

Yeah, which makes it a legit critism in some reviews, while others don't think so. To get burnt out on a sound after awhile.

If you're gonna do 3 albums (37 songs), there should be a lot of variety, which there really isn't.

Most songs sound similar musically, maybe slight flavor differences here and there, but like 7 Up and Sprite flavor differences.

What I never got is why people read reviews. Is it to be able to bitch about reviewers or is it because you wanna know what others think about it? For the actual love of god, can't you just care about your own opinion and don't give a shit about others, atleast when it comes to music taste.

What I never got is why people read reviews. Is it to be able to bitch about reviewers or is it because you wanna know what others think about it? For the actual love of god, can't you just care about your own opinion and don't give a shit about others, atleast when it comes to music taste.

I read them so I know what to expect. Even the most negative reviews can be informative.

It depends on what you consider weak, and it depends on what you consider forgivable.

I read them so I know what to expect. Even the most negative reviews can be informative.

It depends on what you consider weak, and it depends on what you consider forgivable.

I would never read them before hearing the album, I like to make up my own mind about it.

I would never read them before hearing the album, I like to make up my own mind about it.

I use music reviews the same way I do movies. If I'm sort of iffy about it, then if it's getting good reviews Imight be more inclined to check it out, if it's getting mixed to negative reviews I might wait til it's a little cheaper, or check it out some on the internet. Reviews don't affect my opinion, the help to level to my expectations.

I use music reviews the same way I do movies. If I'm sort of iffy about it, then if it's getting good reviews Imight be more inclined to check it out, if it's getting mixed to negative reviews I might wait til it's a little cheaper, or check it out some on the internet. Reviews don't affect my opinion, the help to level to my expectations.

Well I can understand that, as long as you compare different reviews.

Archived