Bad, classless reviews of the trilogy are really pissing me off

Ashkonmusic

People write off Green Day after every single album. They've been doing this since 39/Smooth and Kerplunk. How many dozens of millions of records sold, several world wide tours, sociopolitical epic masterpieces, and trilogies is it going to take for these trendy boy band lovers to shut up? Well I know that answer. But like I said, people write off Green Day after every single album they make, Billie can't take a piss without someone screaming "sell out!".

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been bad, tasteless reviews of almost every Green Day album. People have said that they should've stop making music after Warning's commercial failure.

Point being, the only review that matters is yours. If you like the music, you like the music, and that's that. They'll always be people who say that Green Day should just give up or say that every new album they release is awful.

I do feel like this review wouldn't be so harsh if the band was active. It's a lot easier to say stuff like that about a band when they aren't out touring and appearing on TV and such.

That being said, this reviewer still is entitled to their own opinion. Yeah, we disagree with it. Who gives a fuck? I like Tre and this reviewer isn't going to change my mind about it. This is why I think the whole concept of reviews is stupid. A reviewer is just another person so anyone can completely disagree with them. But hey, this is neither the time nor the place.

The only reviews of the trilogy I take issue with are those that a) have a clear bias against the band and b) reviews that spend more time talking about Billie's substance abuse and attempt to psychoanalyze him via the lyrics rather than just review the damn music.

Beyond that - whatever. People have opinions and as long as those opinions are well formulated, they don't bother me.

The problem with reviews is that if the reviewer doesn't particularily care for the band they will only listened to the album once and come up with a quick synopsis.

Tre was the hardest of the trilogy to digest, breakdown and evaluate. So i think these reviews are a product of the fast moving world of the internet. Unless it was another dookie or ai and hit the listener right in the gut right when it started, it wasn't going to get good reviews. Like its been said it is now trendy to hate green day. What green day did with dookie is they made something that they couldn't replicate again like something Guns and roses or some straight up rock and roll band would put out as a sophomore effort. They did about all they could to continue on a new path with all the albums between dookie and ai. And ai was not an easy way out, they worked to get better and come up with a bigger sound taking a little bit from all their albums. I hate that people say oh its now mainstream and they gave up on what they were working towards. Total bs.

I believe Tre is almost like they went back to 2000 and are building off Warning, taking just a little from the rock operas and moving in the right direction. And i look foward to seeing what they do next.

I've been seeing some reviews that just say "Man, these albums suck. Get your shit together Green Day. This is worthless pop, maybe this music is the reason Billie Joe got hooked on drugs; he was disgusted with himself."

Which, besides the overwhelming number of references towards Billie's condition when it's not even related, is fine. However, I think it'd be amazing if these reviewers would state why they don't like the albums instead of "Eh, this is shit. Green Day sucks." It sounds more like a complaining high school student than an actual review.

Some critics definitely have their minds made up in advance, but I think you can generally sniff those out. If I'm reading a review that tries to nitpick to hard to justify I low score, I usually just scrap it. You have to use you're best discretion, but I think most critics do a pretty good job.

the trilogy's been getting shit before they fully released them. i just ignore the bullshit i hear about it. im actually a fan of the people that made this review but they do bias a lot of their reviews so yes, they're just some more trendy-fucks when it comes to green day but dont let it make you question the quality and effort found in the trilogy!

"Fuck Time and Nightlife never needed to happen"? why, just because they're different?

A piece of pizza completely scorched yet inexplicably cold among an otherwise fresh, quality pie is "different", that doesn't make it palatable.

Though "Fuck Time" isn't awful, I'll concede that.

It is hard to be such a fan of and love a band so much then have someone says something nasty about them, it can even hurt more than having someone insult you personally. I remember one day back in high school when I mentioned Green Day and this boy I kind of liked started ranting about how Billie is a horrible guitarist and he said something like "Honestly, I don't know why Green Day even keeps him". I was so taken aback that I didn't have a response and later was sobbing at home. Of course, after that, he was an enemy.

The point of this story is to say that yes, everyone has opinions and sometimes they can be vile, nasty, and, from our point of view dead wrong. But that is no reason to let what someone has said or written get to you so much. Especially when you know they're full of shit. I've always been a very sensitive person and it's still hard for me to blow those types of things off, but it's an essential thing to do in these sorts of situations. We know how great Green Day is and that's what is the most important. We should really feel sorry for those people who are so vehement toward them because they are missing out on one of the best things in the world. But still, people like these vicious critics that have been popping up to rip Green Day apart lately should really just stop. There is room for criticism in this world, but there's no room for just pure attack. There is no reason to hate any band, unless they've committed murder or something like that. Sure there are those artists you can't stand, but there's no reason to hate or loath, just don't pay attention to them. That's what I don't get. Those people who waste a bunch of emotion and energy attacking Green Day just because they don't like them. If you don't like them, don't waste your thoughts on them. Maybe I'm just rambling now, but I feel like I needed to say those things.

It's possible to read a review you do not agree with and yet still see where they're coming from, and even acknowledge it as a good review. This is one of those cases. Do I believe that they're past it? No. Do I believe that they could have done better with this trilogy experiment? Yes. I think with a little quality control and an extra year on working on it they could have made the best album of their career. There's nothing bad, or classless about this review at all, unless you consider anything negative written about the band as "bad", in which case you're a fanboy whose opinion I have no time for.

It's whatever I mean as long as you like the music who cares about others opinions.

It's possible to read a review you do not agree with and yet still see where they're coming from, and even acknowledge it as a good review. This is one of those cases. Do I believe that they're past it? No. Do I believe that they could have done better with this trilogy experiment? Yes. I think with a little quality control and an extra year on working on it they could have made the best album of their career. There's nothing bad, or classless about this review at all, unless you consider anything negative written about the band as "bad", in which case you're a fanboy whose opinion I have no time for.

Again, the review I linked may not be the best example... The only thing that really pissed me off in this review is the sentiment that Green Day should retire. I just think that's a ridiculous thing to say in a review. I think we've all seen the type of review I mean to talk about, and I appreciate the dialogue from everyone. As I said before, I'm all for critique of the music... just don't like when it goes further than that. If you read everything I've said on this thread, I think you'll find that I'm not a "fanboy"... I'm realistic about Green Day's music, and love talking critically about it. Just really bothers me hearing folks say they need to retire or writing articles that seem blatantly fused with hate. I agree though with all of the folks saying that ultimately, you gotta just shake that off. I must say though, it has been awesome to be able to have a conversation about it here, so thank you.

-a

In the Tre' album thread, this is EXACTLY what I was trying to say, but people were busy pointing mistakes in my posts than to understand what I was trying to say.So thank you for starting this thread :D

I couldn't agree more. I have exactly the same opinion. It's not the case that I can't stand bad reviews, but when I read them at least I would like a little bit of respect for a band that had been so good for so long. I don't understand why there are so many bad critics though, because the vast majority of us are enjoying the trilogy.

yes, that's true. i just read a review of uno, that green day is a "fake punk" -_-

Give me a link to that preview.We will all spam the shit out of it

Again, the review I linked may not be the best example... The only thing that really pissed me off in this review is the sentiment that Green Day should retire. I just think that's a ridiculous thing to say in a review. I think we've all seen the type of review I mean to talk about, and I appreciate the dialogue from everyone. As I said before, I'm all for critique of the music... just don't like when it goes further than that. If you read everything I've said on this thread, I think you'll find that I'm not a "fanboy"... I'm realistic about Green Day's music, and love talking critically about it. Just really bothers me hearing folks say they need to retire or writing articles that seem blatantly fused with hate. I agree though with all of the folks saying that ultimately, you gotta just shake that off. I must say though, it has been awesome to be able to have a conversation about it here, so thank you.

-a

OK, fair enough. I was drunk when I read that the first time. The review is maybe a bit harsher than I first realised. I do think though that it's fair to discuss what they might do in the future and suggest their time is up when so much of the trilogy is not much more than rehashes of old songs with less interesting lyrics. There are a few indications that they could experiment by doing things like incorporate bits of soul songs, folky interludes, multi-part songs, and push on to a new direction, but in my opinion not enough for a set of 37 songs.

As long as you enjoy the trilogy, that's all that matters.

The world is full of so many opinions based on little to no substance. It's just something we have to unfortunately adjust to.

The thing that I dislike about many album reviews overall is that it seems like the reviewer doesn't take enough time to digest the album before writing basically about the first impressions of the album. I am not in any sense a professional (or even unprofessional) reviewer so I have no idea at what rate they have to write their reviews, but I feel like many of them just write after or during their first listen of the album.

Most albums don't hit you in the face on the first listen, but mature with age and you start to notice some clever stuff that you didn't hear before or you understand a piece of lyric that you didn't before.

I just think it's a shame that so much music (overall) is being neglected and considered bad just cause you didn't appreciate it when you heard it the first time. I also think it's very unfair to the artists who shed blood, tears and dedicates much of their time making these albums and then reviewers discard them at first glance.

This was not aimed against any Green Day reviews, just reviews in general.

There is no need for this thread, reviews are just opinions, we can argue all we like with someone who doesn't agree with our opinion, but they're not gonna change it to suit your personal opinion :P

You chose a bad example of a classless review. Look to Sputnik music for one of those.

That being said, this review is ridiculous. That's all I will say about it.

You chose a bad example of a classless review. Look to Sputnik music for one of those.

That being said, this review is ridiculous. That's all I will say about it.

What's ridiculous about this review? Because it's negative? Because it's brutally honest?

Ill be somewhat honest myself, I agree with his point of people here accepting "not bad".

Let's not pretend that most of the people here won't overrate anything Green Day does, which is understandable, this is a fansite

usually occupied mainly by fanboys and fangirls. But this guy has a point. Green Day could do anything, no matter how terrible it truly is, and still have a good amount of their fanbase like them, because they will no matter what.

Examples: Fuck Time and Nightlife. They are in general poor songs. Poor lyrics, and very poorly pulled off.

There is a point where something is bad.

Look at any movie by Adam Sandler or any of the newest Scary Movies and its spin offs.

Yet, a lot of people like those songs, which kind of shows Green Day can go lowest of the low and still be successful because of their fanbase's loyality. I've also noticed a lot of GD fans will try to come up with excuses for the band whenever someone criticizes them.

These are my observations and my personal opinion, so please don't take it personally, I'm not in the mood to argue with some tittybabies right now. Thank you.

In the Tre' album thread, this is EXACTLY what I was trying to say, but people were busy pointing mistakes in my posts than to understand what I was trying to say.So thank you for starting this thread :D

No you didn't. You were criticizing negative reviews for legit points (saying that criticizing a song for being boring or feeling that it drags shouldn't be negative points, when that's clearly what they are), and saying some reviews were calling the album "gay".

What legit, non-blogisphere reviews called the album "gay"?

You can't criticize someone else's opinion and say they're wrong because YOU think the song is good, because that's basically telling someone they don't deserve their own opinion, which are what reviews are.

Archived