Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bad, classless reviews of the trilogy are really pissing me off

244 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry for your butthurt.

In my opinion you're right, people need to deliver their points of view with a healthy amount of courtesy, otherwise it comes off as nothing more than bitching and moaning, piss and vinegar. I understand negative reviews of things I happen to like, but some people get so ridiculous with what they say it's like oh, leave. Just go.

Posted · Report post

As people have already said, it's about respect because they've been around so long and have been so successful. These reviewers are stuck up dickfaces for trying to talk about the end of their careers.

Posted · Report post

Why is it pissing you off? Did u enjoy the trilogy? If so thats whats the most important

"Fuck Time and Nightlife never needed to happen"? why, just because they're different?

that's an example of one opinion that pisses me off xD

I did Tim, and you're right...but I can't help it. I'm an opinionated, outspoken guy myself, and it just irks me when people hate. Thanks for the reminder though.

Sorry Miguel lol, I still listen to both of those tracks occasionally... I just think Fuck TIme is a bit too ridiculous for an album opener, which is essentially what it is, and as for Night Life, I have no problem with it being different, I just wish the rapping was better. The beat, and Billie's chorus are great, but as a big hip-hop fan, I just wish the verses were better. If someone like Del (The Guerillaz) was on it I think it would have been really frickin cool.

Posted · Report post

I'm so tempted to back seat moderate but Tre's Busted Drumkit doesn't like it.

Posted · Report post

I entirely get where you're coming from. But at the end of the day, you've just got to realise that critical reception and sales don't mean jack shit. All that truly matters is what matters to you.

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

As people have already said, it's about respect because they've been around so long and have been so successful. These reviewers are stuck up dickfaces for trying to talk about the end of their careers.

Oh, it's there I'd disagree. Success doesn't mean you have to think they're any good, or even acknowledge their talent.

Posted · Report post

You chose a bad example of a classless review. Look to Sputnik music for one of those.

That being said, this review is ridiculous. That's all I will say about it.

Posted · Report post

I've just had a look at the review you linked there, and disagree with your opinion of it. From what you were saying I expected it to be some kind of poorly written, single sentence statement about how the album/trilogy is categorically bad, but it isn't. The article is generally well-written, they weigh up the good points and are respectful about the band's history, and even wish Billie good luck with his treatment. I agree with your point but this was a bad example of it. I think this was the article's key point:

See? They're not intending to be harsh, the writer is just giving their opinion. (Which, let's face it, is a popular one despite what us super fans may consider the albums to be.) I'd actually consider this article to be the most respectful way you could give a bad review of the trilogy. They're not singing praises but manage to maintain class.

And, another point I want to make that isn't really directed to you specifically, is that I hope people stop bringing Justin Bieber into music arguments when he has nothing to do with the music in question. What, just because he's an easy target means that we can be extra cruel and disrespectful to him? You don't have to LIKE the music, but you can still treat the artist with respect (which is exactly what you're campaigning for in this post, ironically). It's getting really old.

Anyway, back to your post. Your last point seems to contradict itself. These people need to treat Green Day like they're just guys making records, but they also need to treat them with a degree of respect because of their history? So, they're not just guys making records anymore, they're guys with a background of success making records. It doesn't work. You can't see them both ways because those different perspectives contradict each other. They're not guys making records, they're Green Day. I don't get it.

Although I love the trilogy and think the sound and feel of the albums are great, this guy in the article you hated does have a point. You can't view the album as good or give great reviews just because Green Day should be respected as a band. It's not fair on the music.

Totally hear you, and appreciate your response. I just picked one of the articles that irked me... there are plenty more that come off as more amateurish. You're right, the article is well written... the main thing that pisses me off is the sentiment that they should retire. Seriously, wtf is that?? lol A lot of his other critiques are valid, but ultimately, I just don't like it when writers take liberty to make a sweeping statement like that.

As for treating them like just a band making records, and being respectful of their history, you're right... I can see how that sounds contradictory. They are meant as two distinct points, first that critics often forget they are talking about real people that love what they do. This guy would never tell Billie Joe to his face to walk away for example. I guess the second point, which is a bit contradictory, was meant to say that if you ARE going to talk that way about someone in a review (which I still don't approve of) at least do it to someone who hasn't already proven that they are in this music thing from the heart.

Lastly, as for JB, I just wanted to quote Billie on that, and was amused thatit pertained to my point. I have no problem with Bieber, and think he's a talented little guy : ) Thanks for the convo.

-a

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Fuck Time and Nightlife never needed to happen,

I love Fuck Time and think Nightlife is ok. I know lots of people that like both these songs.

I wouldn't say at all that there was no need for them.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There have been some pretty bad reviews. As in not well researched or the authors seemed to be bothered more by Green Day and couldn't appreciate the trilogy at all. That was why I wrote my review. I thought it'd be good for fans to read some words on the whole trilogy from another fan.

Posted · Report post

As for treating them like just a band making records, and being respectful of their history, you're right... I can see how that sounds contradictory. They are meant as two distinct points, first that critics often forget they are talking about real people that love what they do. This guy would never tell Billie Joe to his face to walk away for example. I guess the second point, which is a bit contradictory, was meant to say that if you ARE going to talk that way about someone in a review (which I still don't approve of) at least do it to someone who hasn't already proven that they are in this music thing from the heart.

This whole paragraph is exactly what I've been feeling lately. Whenever someone is very harsh in their criticism of Green Day, or says something immature like "Green Days sucks!1!1!1" I feel a total disconnect to it because it doesn't even seem like they're even talking about the same Green Day that I know. It's like they don't even know that there are actual men behind the band with actual feelings and hopes for their music. They don't make music solely for the purpose of making money like so many seem to do; they do it because it's what they love to do, and they hope that it'll connect with somebody somewhere. So yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Totally hear you, and appreciate your response. I just picked one of the articles that irked me... there are plenty more that come off as more amateurish. You're right, the article is well written... the main thing that pisses me off is the sentiment that they should retire. Seriously, wtf is that?? lol A lot of his other critiques are valid, but ultimately, I just don't like it when writers take liberty to make a sweeping statement like that.

Lastly, as for JB, I just wanted to quote Billie on that, and was amused thatit pertained to my point. I have no problem with Bieber, and think he's a talented little guy : ) Thanks for the convo.

-a

Yeah, definitely agree that what the review was saying about the band was absolute shit, I'm glad you picked up on that instead of assuming I believed it! :lol: I get what you're saying now. The JB thing was directed more to everyone who uses his name to support arguments about bad music... I've mentioned it before here so thought I'd explain myself a bit better. :) I'm not a fan but y'know, he doesn't deserve all the stick he gets.

There are definitely worse reviews out there but that's the problem with the internet I suppose, it gives everyone a soapbox to stand on.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

This whole paragraph is exactly what I've been feeling lately. Whenever someone is very harsh in their criticism of Green Day, or says something immature like "Green Days sucks!1!1!1" I feel a total disconnect to it because it doesn't even seem like they're even talking about the same Green Day that I know. It's like they don't even know that there are actual men behind the band with actual feelings and hopes for their music. They don't make music solely for the purpose of making money like so many seem to do; they do it because it's what they love to do, and they hope that it'll connect with somebody somewhere. So yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Ever since '94 Green Day has been treated like a corporate rock band. I don't get it. But they've proved themselves musically well more than once, in 5-10 years the band is going to be praised by the same critics that once wrote them off, its happened to a thousand other bands and its happened to them before when critics changed their mind after Dookie and it will happen again.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

After listening to the albums, I have to say, I thought that review was spot on. They can still do that pop-punk sound, but they can't seem to take it anywhere. It's not a bad, classless review, it's pointing out something worthwhile.

Posted · Report post

I am seriously stoked to be able to have other GD fans to talk to about this. Makes me feel better lol. Thanks y'all!

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

I choose now to not read any reviews of anything I like exactly because of this kind of shit. A lot of reviewers in my opinion are kiss asses or full of shit, and sadly they praise people like Taylor Swift and shit because they're whats "hot". It's a sad reality but sometimes we gotta realize that reviewers want money/readers, some people truly believe Green Day are terrible, and a lot of these witters are lazy and unprofessional that just write a bunch of crap cause that's what's expect of "un-hot" bands such as GD. I prefer to live in my little pathetic bubble of "Green Day is perfect" instead of reading other peoples opinions.

I am seriously stoked to be able to have other GD fans to talk to about this. Makes me feel better lol. Thanks y'all!

Yup, you're in the right place for that. Welcome to GDC!

Posted (edited) · Report post

After listening to the albums, I have to say, I thought that review was spot on. They can still do that pop-punk sound, but they can't seem to take it anywhere. It's not a bad, classless review, it's pointing out something worthwhile.

Once again, this may not be the BEST example of a classless review. Just one that irked me. Didn't appreciate the guy telling them to retire. If anyone wants to help by posting more poorly thought out bad reviews, feel free. I'm sure we've all seen them....

Edited by Ashkonmusic

Posted · Report post

If the current albums are any sign of where they're going, I wouldn't be against Green Day retiring - I really feel they've lost their originality, and sound far too much like most bands around today