Pat Magnarella talks about planning Green Day's new albums (video)

desertrose

what i understood between the lines: the manager and warner were having a talk about what kind of music green day should do to reach the "market". it was the first time green day allowed those people to giving them hints what to do and kind of taking control. and green day even wanted that.

diappointing that they have given themselves away to the company. other bands are fighting against label control and green day are even enjoying it, cause they want to do everything to be succesful again. nice to know that master company plan didn't work out to good...

i never would have thought that. i mean that is not a compromise to be succesful, it is everythign subordinated to the succes. i start to believe all this 3 albums were a label/manager idea. it is fitting in the picture of the band and the decissions this year. i can't denie that i'm not unhappy that this move kind of failed.

Did we watch the same video? I heard nothing about corporate fingers in Green Day's creativity, just marketing, where they belong. This time around, they let the marketing coincide with the creative process, to our great pleasure and to theirs as well.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not forget UNO debuted at number 2. That took some pretty varied promotion by the label considering oh love was the only moderate success prior to release. I know everyone wants to blame Warner for dos and tre but it is really hard for me to fathom a legitimate business plan for promoting music without any way of using the band who made it. I don't think these guys did a bad job at all.

This. We know, for sure, that the label had planned a lot more than what we got. The Billboard article mentioned 3-to-4 singles from *each* album, which obviously didn't happen here. It also mentioned a potential performance on the AMA's. Not to mention, all of the various events the week of Uno's release that were canceled....plus the US tour....Plus god only knows how many other TV appearances, interviews in various media, fan events, festival headlinings, and such we would've gotten. Probably would be on the PCA's, since they've been nominated. With luck, maybe they still can be.

what i understood between the lines: the manager and warner were having a talk about what kind of music green day should do to reach the "market". it was the first time green day allowed those people to giving them hints what to do and kind of taking control. and green day even wanted that.

diappointing that they have given themselves away to the company. other bands are fighting against label control and green day are even enjoying it, cause they want to do everything to be succesful again. nice to know that master company plan didn't work out to good...

i never would have thought that. i mean that is not a compromise to be succesful, it is everythign subordinated to the succes. i start to believe all this 3 albums were a label/manager idea. it is fitting in the picture of the band and the decissions this year. i can't denie that i'm not unhappy that this move kind of failed.

umm.....what? From your post, it seems like English may not be your first language, so perhaps you misunderstood the context. Pat was talking about planning things to keep the fans (us) engaged while Green Day was in the studio and, thus, out of the spotlight. Something that, I must admit, Green Day seem to do incredibly well. For the trilogy, these plans would include things like the studio update videos on youtube, the last-minute secret shows, etc. None of these have anything to do with the creative process; they have to do with maintaining visibility and keeping the fanbase entertained and interested, so we don't all get bored and fuck off to follow some other band ;) ALL artists do something of this nature leading up to a new release. But what different artists are willing to do varies. It's no secret that many artists prefer to keep something o a safe distance from their fans....By the same token, the interviewer here brought up the point that some artists consider the studio to be a sanctuary. A sacred, creative bubble that they don't want to invite anyone else into, much less a bunch of cameras filming everything to then be posted online and edited together into a documentary. Green Day being open to that idea means nothing more than the fact that they aren't self-conscious about their own creative process and are willing to share that process with us.

if you listen to the video without watching it, Pat sounds identical to Mike. His intonation and everything....trippy!

that's what i thought too :)

This. We know, for sure, that the label had planned a lot more than what we got. The Billboard article mentioned 3-to-4 singles from *each* album, which obviously didn't happen here. It also mentioned a potential performance on the AMA's. Not to mention, all of the various events the week of Uno's release that were canceled....plus the US tour....Plus god only knows how many other TV appearances, interviews in various media, fan events, festival headlinings, and such we would've gotten. Probably would be on the PCA's, since they've been nominated. With luck, maybe they still can be.

Maybe the band can perform a new single at the Grammys? That'd be nice. I do wonder when Billie will be good to go, as it were... maybe not ready to tour, but start doing some appearances here or there..

Maybe the band can perform a new single at the Grammys? That'd be nice. I do wonder when Billie will be good to go, as it were... maybe not ready to tour, but start doing some appearances here or there..

If they had been nominated, the Grammy's would've been a perfect way to usher them back in! I realize not being nominated doesn't automatically rule them out for performing, but it does make the chances of seeing them there somewhat slimmer.

I was thinking maybe they'd perform on the People's Choice Awards.

Sweet. I learned nothing. That interview was lame/okay

Yea I agree with this. Regardless if I got to see this guys face, this was about as revealing as the credits on the back of the CDs. Well, those actually contained useful information.

XD Man, I'm a bit disappointed! I've been putting this video off for a few days now for this.

Archived