Pat Magnarella talks about planning Green Day's new albums (video)

desertrose

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the video. It's good to know that overpaid label executives need 18 months to brainstorm a handful of TV appearances and inclusion on a soundtrack :thumbsup:

N.B. I have no particular problem with the promotion of the trilogy, so much as the inflated notion that Warner's PR somehow reinvented the wheel here, or that the plan isn't the same one used to promotion nearly every album by every major label artist.

Sweet. I learned nothing. That interview was lame/okay
This guy have been with the guys planning shit out for them since 2009 (or earlier?), I've seen the name a lot of places, and this is one of the first times I've seen his face.

This guy have been with the guys planning shit out for them since 2009 (or earlier?), I've seen the name a lot of places, and this is one of the first times I've seen his face.

He's been with them since the 90's I believe.

Let's not forget UNO debuted at number 2. That took some pretty varied promotion by the label considering oh love was the only moderate success prior to release. I know everyone wants to blame Warner for dos and tre but it is really hard for me to fathom a legitimate business plan for promoting music without any way of using the band who made it. I don't think these guys did a bad job at all.

Yeah I've never seen Pat's face before. In my head he was supposed to be short, stocky, kinda macho Italian man with a mustache. Thanks for proving me wrong, metrosexual thin baldie!

That looks like it was just part of a longer interview. Wonder if the rest is out there somewhere?

Yeah, I agree with BlackBaboon, when GD was active the promotion was at least good enough to get Uno to #2 debuting. It is very hard to promote 2 albums for a band that can't even play, so lets give them a little credit. Obviously they may have been able to do more, but Dos and Tre stlil had respectable showings on the charts for an inactive band.

Can you post the link to the video so all of us whose computers dont function properly can see it? That would be very great. :happy:

I'm pretty sure at a award show for AI they thanked him so at least 2003 I'd say

Took a year to promote? felt like last minute efforts :ermm:

They probably were last minute efforts, but not because of laziness on the label's part. Prior to Billie's rehab stint, Warner had youtube ads, tv ads, itunes ads, an Angry Birds game, Billie Joe on the voice (probably not the label's decision, but good promotion nonetheless), a song on the Campaign soundtrack, multiple singles and videos released, an entire mini tour planned out and scheduled, an appearance with a live song at the VMA's, and multiple upcoming tv interviews (I think Ellen and Letterman for sure). Those things didn't feel last minute at all. However, the label surely had to change directions when the band essentially vanished into thin air. The most we've really seen of them is Mike's response to a dying fan and his short stint on Zane Lowe. I have no doubt the label had other promotions planned that had to be scrapped because without a band, much of the aforementioned promotion becomes impossible. I'm not sure people are quite as eager to book Pat Magnarella so he can tell everyone about what Green Day would have said if they could've been there. So in short, it probably feels last minute because it is, but it's not for lack of planning on the label's part.

Yeah, I'm positive these guys had quite a lot of plans that were thrown out the window when the band couldn't go around promoting the albums. Example, the first major show they did to promote Uno was a morning show. That's a pretty big deal, tons of viewers (not really their demographic, but still lots of potential). Shit like that doesn't just happen on a whim. I'm willing to bet they had quite a bit of stuff in the works, including the tour, that all went flying out the window with those guitar strings in Las Vegas.

I agree with the last few posts. The only thing I'm not sure I understand is the lack of radio singles. I understand you might want to hold off on releasing a big song when you don't have the band to go play it on Letterman and whatnot, but did radio stations just straight up listen to Stray Heart, think it sucked, and never play it? Or were these just bizarre "Oh, here's a song, and a video, for fans, and some websites, and we're not really gonna send it to MTV or radio..." That's the kind of un-promotion that threw me off. Overall, I think they did a good job with Uno and it would have been interesting to see how sales for Dos and Tre would have been and still may be had we not had this situation.

The one thing that scares me a bit is that we sort of have the band's current haitus "to blame" for whatever dip in sales right now, as in, we don't have to freak out about it as much as we normally would have. Because if these were the actual numbers the trilogy was putting up while the band was active, I'd be shocked and disturbed by the decline in popularity (not that popularity is the ultimate important thing, but it's still interesting to pay attention to IMO). The band being inactive right now lets me uneasily say "Oh, Green Day is doing fine, they can't be expected to sell much given the circumstances." Don't know if I'm lying to myself to excuse the low performance, or if that's actually a fair way of looking at it.

That being said, I still maintain this trilogy ain't a flop, and probably, hopefully, has a bright future in 2013. I think by January they will have sold 1 million albums if you combine the sales of Uno, Dos, and Tre, and that's pretty fucking awesome. To me it's only a shame that Tre will have had the least sales, given many people agree it's the best album.

I agree with the last few posts. The only thing I'm not sure I understand is the lack of radio singles. I understand you might want to hold off on releasing a big song when you don't have the band to go play it on Letterman and whatnot, but did radio stations just straight up listen to Stray Heart, think it sucked, and never play it? Or were these just bizarre "Oh, here's a song, and a video, for fans, and some websites, and we're not really gonna send it to MTV or radio..." That's the kind of un-promotion that threw me off. Overall, I think they did a good job with Uno and it would have been interesting to see how sales for Dos and Tre would have been and still may be had we not had this situation.

The one thing that scares me a bit is that we sort of have the band's current haitus "to blame" for whatever dip in sales right now, as in, we don't have to freak out about it as much as we normally would have. Because if these were the actual numbers the trilogy was putting up while the band was active, I'd be shocked and disturbed by the decline in popularity (not that popularity is the ultimate important thing, but it's still interesting to pay attention to IMO). The band being inactive right now lets me uneasily say "Oh, Green Day is doing fine, they can't be expected to sell much given the circumstances." Don't know if I'm lying to myself to excuse the low performance, or if that's actually a fair way of looking at it.

That being said, I still maintain this trilogy ain't a flop, and probably, hopefully, has a bright future in 2013. I think by January they will have sold 1 million albums if you combine the sales of Uno, Dos, and Tre, and that's pretty fucking awesome. To me it's only a shame that Tre will have had the least sales, given many people agree it's the best album.

If the band was out and about on tour and doing media I'm sure the albums would be doing much better. It's like what the band said, the trilogy's release was tailored to the short attention span of this generation. I guess they didn't realize how short it would be. We also have to take into account that Dos and Tre were released only a month apart as opposed to originally planed 2. And then there's the lack of promotion, the sudden disappearance of the band, the negativity following Billie Joe's rant, etc.

Yeah, remember that 'Billboard' article? It said that the foundation of their promotion strategy were "key TV appearances". Obviously those didn't happen, so the entire marketing plan went to the trash bin. It's a shame, but there's nothing that can be done about it.

People are always going to blame Warner for everything, I do too (I got Dos over a month late), but the promotion for this project has been really good when you compare it with 21stCB. Those studio updates, for example, were very exciting.

what i understood between the lines: the manager and warner were having a talk about what kind of music green day should do to reach the "market". it was the first time green day allowed those people to giving them hints what to do and kind of taking control. and green day even wanted that.

diappointing that they have given themselves away to the company. other bands are fighting against label control and green day are even enjoying it, cause they want to do everything to be succesful again. nice to know that master company plan didn't work out to good...

i never would have thought that. i mean that is not a compromise to be succesful, it is everythign subordinated to the succes. i start to believe all this 3 albums were a label/manager idea. it is fitting in the picture of the band and the decissions this year. i can't denie that i'm not unhappy that this move kind of failed.

Nice to see the manager himself talking. We want some more of these, its great to know how involved they were with the Trilogy and the planning started way early!

Archived