¡Tré! chart performance

Requila

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think it's feasible that people get sick of artists after too much exposure to them, that was definitely not the problem here. There was only a brief inundation of Green Day this year that the general population hardly noticed. If anything it was the Green Day fans who didn't put out a very good showing for Dos and Tre. Or they were disappointed with Uno and didn't see it worthwhile to buy Dos and Tre. Or, more likely, they bought Uno, thought it was good, not great, but they got their Green Day fix for a few years and saw no reason to legally purchase two more fucking albums. It's a lot to ask of consumers, even hardcore fans.

Hell, if the Beatles somehow put out three albums tomorrow, I'd buy the first one, and even if it was the best ever, there's a good chance I wouldn't spend money on buying the other two right away or at all. I think Green Day has had some good bundle deals lately that people probably thought were fair, but not everyone...

I'm sorry, but looking at this all now, with everything all said and done, they should have never gone the three album route, and instead done one solid album. Each album of the trilogy is surrounded by an equal amount of duds to gems. Where as there is plenty of gems off each album where they could had cut all the brain farts that should have never left the drawing board, and put out a great album instead of three mediocre ones.

It also would've been easier for the general audience to digest; Billie in rehab or not.

Oh well. Better luck next time.

Obviously BJ's situation has had an effect and we cannot change the past, but not all great albums score high early - they hang around and then people get it. eg back in 1966 Pet Sounds could not make the top 10 in the US album charts when it was released and that is widely regarded as one of the most defining and best albums ever. I am not saying Tre is in the same league as Pet Sounds, but there is more to it than just chart position. I can see one or more of the trilogy albums charting longer than we may expect or resurging when the touring starts.

"Tré" debuted #17 in German charts.

I still think the problem is neither that people are sick of Green Day, nor that the triology is bad music (which it definitely isn't considering the whole package). I am still absolutely sure that the lack of promoting is the reason why "Dos" and "Tré" aren't doing really well in sales. I mean, it is obvious: There was TV-advertisement for "Uno" (I only saw the spot once, but it was there), and "Uno" was promoted in CD-brochures etc. There was none of that for the other two albums, at least here in Germany. So it's just natural that people don't even KNOW that there are two more albums, Warner is doing absolutely nothing. I still believe that the albums will do better once the promotion kicks in again. And even if they don't: It's more important that Billie gets well soon. The triology would have done better in charts if he hadn't gone to rehab - but the effect on his health could have been really, really bad. For me, it's easier to bear a poor chart performance than Billie dying of an overdose....

I'm sorry, but looking at this all now, with everything all said and done, they should have never gone the three album route, and instead done one solid album. Each album of the trilogy is surrounded by an equal amount of duds to gems. Where as there is plenty of gems off each album where they could had cut all the brain farts that should have never left the drawing board, and put out a great album instead of three mediocre ones.

I've made my own album with the songs I love and consider 'killer' songs. It has 28 songs. Too much for one album.

People need to calm down a bit. This trilogy has sold 1.3 million copies since september and still counting.

Total sales UNO: 773,000 units

Total sales DOS: 356,000 units

Total sales TRE: 166,000 units (first week)

When everything is said and done, UNO could go as high as selling one million, while DOS and TRE could both move more than 500,000 which would make it 2 million copies sold.

Since this trilogy counts as one CD and considering everything that went down and that there was only one hit single (Oh Love), I think Warner will be extremely happy how it turned out.

Sure, this holds no candle to the massive sales of 21st century breakdown (4,1 million) or American Idiot which was one of the most successful rock records of the decade.

The triogy sold not as many records as expected but it still did fine with complete lack of promotion. So everyone involved has to be happy how it turned out.

I just can't read 6 pages of comments at this hour xc
Am I the only one that thinks Billie being sick is NO excuse for the piss poor promotion? Billie being sick knocks out two things:
1) No live shows
2) No music videos featuring the band

They could have still pushed a single like crazy, still made a TV spot fairly often, still could have been front page on every music outlet for days or at least an hour! But no, we got a completely half ass promotion. I do blame a lot of the sales on fans who just flat out didn't buy the second two albums quite a bit.
Also, a question I've had, how do the sales of the boxsets calculate in with the charts? Is each boxset counted as one sold for each album? I would imagine so.
blah too tired. I'll reply later xo
Happy Christmas Eve fellow Idiots

People need to calm down a bit. This trilogy has sold 1.3 million copies since september and still counting.

When everything is said and done, UNO could go as high as selling one million, while DOS and TRE could both move more than 500,000 which would make it 2 million copies sold.

Since this trilogy counts as one CD and considering everything that went down and that there was only one hit single (Oh Love), I think Warner will be extremely happy how it turned out.

Sure, this holds no candle to the massive sales of 21st century breakdown (4,1 million) or American Idiot which was one of the most successful rock records of the decade.

The triogy sold not as many records as expected but it still did fine with complete lack of promotion. So everyone involved has to be happy how it turned out.

And I'm pretty damn sure that everything will get even better if they start promoting when they get back. I believe this trilogy especially Dos has a lot to say. I'm a music fan, not just punk rock. I like good music no matter who the artist is and what genre it is. I'm strongly impressed by Dos and I find Uno and Tre really emotional records, which is a good thing. There's no doubt that Billie Joe wrote them from his heart.

Guest DisapppearingBoy

"The average person". What a homogenizing thing to say.

Green Day fans would either to a young kid who listens to random music or a kid who would later listen punk rock n might not follow them anymore.

Green Day fans would either to a young kid who listens to random music or a kid who would later listen punk rock n might not follow them anymore.

Those aren't real fans then, idiot.

Wow, Tre is doing so much worse than I thought it would in the charts, I'm not the type of person to care about chart positions and the commercial success of an album but I'm kind of disheartened that the general public don't get to hear even a few songs from the trilogy. Green Day gets no radio play in the UK, the odd Boulevard of Broken Dreams if you're lucky and they played KIll the DJ a few times when it was out but apart from that, nothing.

I like punk rock and follow them anyway? :blink:

Amen.

So I STILL don't have a physical copy of TRE! Partly because I've been too busy working. However, I went into HMV today and searching the entire shop. Copies of UNO! and DOS!, discounted to £5 each, were lying around everywhere but I couldn't find TRE! anywhere. When I went to pay for the new Muse and XX albums, I asked the woman at the till and she told me it was out of stock and that it eas extremely popular? HOW? The trilogy ahs been a commerical disaster. Does anyone know TRE's current chart position in the UK? Also, I think it may possibly be down to the fact that HMV seems to be stocking fewer albums nowadays. I haven't been able to by Radiohead's King of Limbs because they never seem to have it in stock.

where did you get those numbers from?

iTre! debuted at number 1 at my house. It has stayed there for 2 weeks and still going. iDos is number 2 right now and iUno is number 3. Pretty good if you ask me.

iTre! debuted at number 1 at my house. It has stayed there for 2 weeks and still going. iDos is number 2 right now and iUno is number 3. Pretty good if you ask me.
Your house? O.o

Edit: no, wait never mind, I get it.

Let's remember Dookie sold 9,000 copies in its first week

But you weren't expecting it to reach Dookie's sales, were you?

Archived