¡Tré! chart performance

Requila

Yeah! I'm really curious to know how good they would have done with some good promotion!

"funny" video

Dori_TheDick strikes back.

Yeha, I am pretty sure the trilogy would have been a big succes with the right promotion. I mean, Oh Love was played all day in the radio (at least in germany). But they fucked it up pretty bad with choosing the singles..and the promotion of them. I mean, only 1 fucking single had a big release..

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S. If you're not going to answer probably, then why bother responding? It doesn't make any sense. Sorry for my brutal honesty. I had to say what was probably in the back of some people's minds. In the clutter, probably creating a tumor because it's been repressed so much.

Honestly, no. I think this is just in your mind and very few others. On one hand you say Green Day is fading into obscurity, while on another you say they're pop. That's clearly contradictory, in my opinion. And I'm sorry, but what previous Green Day song does Brutal Love sound like? Or Kill The DJ? Or Amy? Sure, some songs on the trilogy seem to have borrowed parts from other songs of theirs, but not all. You generalize way too much without looking at the finer details.

Dori_TheDick strikes back.

Yeha, I am pretty sure the trilogy would have been a big succes with the right promotion. I mean, Oh Love was played all day in the radio (at least in germany). But they fucked it up pretty bad with choosing the singles..and the promotion of them. I mean, only 1 fucking single had a big release..

Yeah, couldn't agree more. I think Let Yourself Go should have had as big a release as Oh Love (was that phrase even gramatically correct?). Let Yourself Go is without a doubt one of the best songs on ¡Uno! and one of the biggest potential hits.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. I think Let Yourself Go should have had as big a release as Oh Love (was that phrase even gramatically correct?). Let Yourself Go is without a doubt one of the best songs on ¡Uno! and one of the biggest potential hits.

It's been playing on the radio where I live. I know some other places where it's been played, too.

It's been playing on the radio where I live. I know some other places where it's been played, too.

Here I've only heard Kill the DJ once as background music while they were talking about sports... that, and Oh Love thrice on MTV while I was having breakfast for school.

Don't ask me about grammaticall shit, I am german :D well, I hope they release 99 Revolutions as a big single. It will fuck them all. LYG is one of the best songs ever written..I really can't understand the single chooses.

Honestly, no. I think this is just in your mind and very few others. On one hand you say Green Day is fading into obscurity, while on another you say they're pop. That's clearly contradictory, in my opinion. And I'm sorry, but what previous Green Day song does Brutal Love sound like? Or Kill The DJ? Or Amy? Sure, some songs on the trilogy seem to have borrowed parts from other songs of theirs, but not all. You generalize way too much without looking at the finer details.

Pop music wise, not popularity. Pop is a way of saying accessible. Easy listening. ,Brutal Love isn't an original song, hell Green Day admited to taking most of it from Sam Cooke. Amy sounds like Shoplifter and Walking Alone put together, Kill The DJ sounds similar to Magnificant 7 by The Clash. And yeah, I do look at the finer details. Obviously I do, since a lot of people here convince themselves there are no songs on these albums that have similarities to other songs. And very few others? Look at almost any site that isn't filled to the brim with Green Day fans. Almost any music dedicated site. I bet a lot of people would agree with me.

Pop music wise, not popularity. Pop is a way of saying accessible. Easy listening. ,Brutal Love isn't an original song, hell Green Day admited to taking most of it from Sam Cooke. Amy sounds like Shoplifter and Walking Alone put together, Kill The DJ sounds similar to Magnificant 7 by The Clash. And yeah, I do look at the finer details. Obviously I do, since a lot of people here convince themselves there are no songs on these albums that have similarities to other songs. And very few others? Look at almost any site that isn't filled to the brim with Green Day fans. Almost any music dedicated site. I bet a lot of people would agree with me.

No. Pop is a genre. Gosh I don't even know what the fuck you're doing in this forum. All you do is throwing shit at Green Day in every single post you make. I bet none of your post is positive towards them.

I'm done with this. It's not going anywhere anyways. I will say this, though. I was comparing those songs to other Green Day songs, not the Clash or Sam Cooke. And they didn't "admit" to anything. I think they were pretty straight forward about it, honestly, since they credited him on the CD. I'm tired of people who only look at the melodies of songs, too. Did you ever consider listening to the lyrics? Okay, so let's say a lot of people, whatever your definition of a lot is, agree with you. So what? There are a lot of people who disagree with you, too.

Also, this is what pop is.

Green Day has always been mainstream. They're a POP act. Not one single thing about them is hardcore. Not one. They are incredibly accessible, almost as much as Maroon 5. And people have been bitching about this trilogy because it perfectly displays the mileage on Green Day. Their sound is wearing thin, sure before the trilogy this is what people said they wanted, a stripped down old school Green Day, but this clearly wasn't their intention. The new songs don't have the same spark as oldies. They sound like more of a Green Day cover band than Green Day themselves. They're trying too hard to be young, too hard to be who they were, which makes a song like X-Kid extremelly ironic. They sound washed up to be honest, and immature, but not immature like they were. 90s Green Day was immature in a funny and natural way, this Green Day's immaturity is more along the lines of sad and forced. It's like they're not even putting any effort into their music, they'll slap anything on an album. All killer no filler my ass, if Green Day truly believe that then they must have some bloated egos. This is my opinion of course. Of course.

Why are you on a Green Day fansite if you think they're washed up?

Ok. Whatever you say. I won't even answer properly because you're obviously just trolling.

You're right. I don't get why everyone is still going in discussion with every post WrongWayToSalvation is making, because the most posts are total nonsense and obvious trolling.

On the bolded part, all I have to say is this: You don't come here often, do you?

Also, if you looked at the "finer details", you would see that Kill The DJ and Magnificent 7 (excellent song by the way) are only similar in chord progression and key. The melodies, arrangements, other "finer details" are completely different. Same thing with Amy, and if you looked at the "finer details" of Brutal Love you would see that the song is written to the tune of Sam Cooke's Bring It On Home to Me, which means the central vocal melody is made to sound the same. Otherwise the keys, the arrangements, and other aspects of the song are completely different.

Go to those music sites and toot your own horn then, see if the rest of the world gives a shit.

I'm done with this. It's not going anywhere anyways. I will say this, though. I was comparing those songs to other Green Day songs, not the Clash or Sam Cooke. And they didn't "admit" to anything. I think they were pretty straight forward about it, honestly, since they credited him on the CD. I'm tired of people who only look at the melodies of songs, too. Did you ever consider listening to the lyrics? Okay, so let's say a lot of people, whatever your definition of a lot is, agree with you. So what? There are a lot of people who disagree with you, too.

Also, this is what pop is.

Yeah, I've looked at the lyrics too. Nothing all that amazing there. Lots of cliche phrases, simple rhymes, repeating words, some questionable word play ("This careless memory and now I could care less", "Swallowing my pride and I never got the tastes", "Feeling naked with my clothes on"). I've mentioned this before, so I'm not just refering to melodies. The guitar sound starts wearing thin as well, causing songs to blend together and some points. And yes they did admit to, by doing as you said, crediting Sam Cooke. They didn't play it off, they admitted to sampling some of his music. Which is what I said. And I know a lot of people disagree with me, and I never claimed to be right. I'm defending my opinion against you and a few others here because you don't seem mature enough to handle it, you feel the need to pick my opinion apart and criticize it as if it's wrong. It's no more wrong or no more right than yours.

On the bolded part, all I have to say is this: You don't come here often, do you?

Also, if you looked at the "finer details", you would see that Kill The DJ and Magnificent 7 (excellent song by the way) are only similar in chord progression and key. The melodies, arrangements, other "finer details" are completely different. Same thing with Amy, and if you looked at the "finer details" of Brutal Love you would see that the song is written to the tune of Sam Cooke's Bring It On Home to Me, which means the central vocal melody is made to sound the same. Otherwise the keys, the arrangements, and other aspects of the song are completely different.

Go to those music sites and toot your own horn then, see if the rest of the world gives a shit.

What the fuck is your problem? Go toot my horn? I'm not being egomanical here, I'm expressing my opinion. You're the ones who sound like the A-holes. Go see if the rest of the world gives a shit? Oh, so your opinion is superior to mine? Classy. I never claimed to be right in the first place.

Also, the techincality doesn't matter. Show those songs to ordinary people and they'll say they sound very similar. The rest is just logistics. A lot of people here probably say they don't hear it because they see it as a criticism to the band, so they don't want to admit it. The general sound of the songs are similar. The most promiment part.

No. Pop is a genre. Gosh I don't even know what the fuck you're doing in this forum. All you do is throwing shit at Green Day in every single post you make. I bet none of your post is positive towards them.

Wait, what? I said pop is a type of music. That's exactly what I said. Pop is an accessible and bright type of music. And yeah I have said positive things about the band. And I'm in this forum for the same reason as everyone else. To throw in my 2 cents. That's what forums are for. If you don't agree with me than fine, but I have just as much right to comment here as you or anyone.

I've heard Let Yourself Go on the radio more than Oh Love, and I haven't heard Stray Heart at all...hopefully they come back with a Tre single, probably 99 Revolutions. That could be a radio hit.

I'm guessing next year is the year they'll promote the shit out of the trilogy. Once they start touring.

What the fuck is your problem? Go toot my horn? I'm not being egomanical here, I'm expressing my opinion. You're the ones who sound like the A-holes. Go see if the rest of the world gives a shit? Oh, so your opinion is superior to mine? Classy. I never claimed to be right in the first place.

According to you, I'm really close-minded for not liking rap music, I've got no musical knowledge because I don't think Bruno Mars is musically better than Green Day, and you're bitching in every fucking topic about how bad Green Day actually is. You're not stating an opinion, you're just being a prick really. It's getting old.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Green Day has always been mainstream. They're a POP act. Not one single thing about them is hardcore. Not one. They are incredibly accessible, almost as much as Maroon 5. And people have been bitching about this trilogy because it perfectly displays the mileage on Green Day. Their sound is wearing thin, sure before the trilogy this is what people said they wanted, a stripped down old school Green Day, but this clearly wasn't their intention. The new songs don't have the same spark as oldies. They sound like more of a Green Day cover band than Green Day themselves. They're trying too hard to be young, too hard to be who they were, which makes a song like X-Kid extremelly ironic. They sound washed up to be honest, and immature, but not immature like they were. 90s Green Day was immature in a funny and natural way, this Green Day's immaturity is more along the lines of sad and forced. It's like they're not even putting any effort into their music, they'll slap anything on an album. All killer no filler my ass, if Green Day truly believe that then they must have some bloated egos. This is my opinion of course. Of course.

First, Green Day is not a POP act. They have elements of pop in their music, and they can be accessible, but the genre of music they make is primarily rock. You can hear the obvious influences rock (as well as its earlier influences, like the blues, as well as its subsequently developed subgenres, like punk) have had on Green Day's music. And true, they have definite pop sensibilities, as their melodic songwriting demonstrates. But, given the instrumentation, lyrical topicality, and overall presentation of their music, Green Day is a rock band who makes rock music. They can then be fit into subgenres like alternative, punk, pop punk, etc. But there is no way anyone would confuse their music with that of, say, One Direction or Katy Perry, who make true, unmistakable pop music. As with most musicians, Green Day's music is very nuanced and takes influences from a wide variety of styles, and thus their music can fit into a wide variety of genres, depending on what song you're looking at. Most artists are not exclusive to one style of music, and Green Day isn't either. This trilogy alone demonstrates that clearly.

However, all things considered, Green Day would never be identified as a pop band who makes pop music. It is rock, regardless of how accessible you think it is. (And considering the current music trends on radio these days, their music isn't so accessible right now anyway.) (Also, Maroon 5 is much more pop then Green Day - always have been. That seems fairly self-evident.)

Second, while I can respect your opinion, I do wish you would stop presenting it as fact. In my opinion, their new songs *do* have that sparkle, Green Day does *not* sound washed up, and they do *not* sound like they're trying to be immature. Although Uno is overall comparable to their earlier albums, it has a different quality to it. It has a more mature perspective (such as in Nuclear Family) and talks about important topics (such as religion and media in Kill The DJ). But it also is able to show their fun side. It sounds like a band that can still create the kind of atmosphere as they did 15-20 years ago, but has also evolved over the last two decades as well. Dos is experimental and different for them, and shows that they can create an album that sounds fun on the surface despite the darker undertones that run through most of the songs. They show an ease in utilizing more garage rock and 60s styled instrumentation, something that they never did before (except for their less ambitious FBH record). And Tré is absolutely mature, and is a natural progression from Warning, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown. It sounds like a band that has progressed in their career and is able to offer a wiser perspective on life. Songs like X-Kid, Drama Queen, and Brutal Love could never have happened in their career before, but now they have evolved to that mental level. I am truly happy with the trilogy. If you don't like it, fine, but you don't have to make random assertions like they have bloated egos or are forcing immaturity or that they put no effort into their music. Even if you don't like it, it should be obvious those claims are unfounded.

Yeah, I've looked at the lyrics too. Nothing all that amazing there. Lots of cliche phrases, simple rhymes, repeating words, some questionable word play ("This careless memory and now I could care less", "Swallowing my pride and I never got the tastes", "Feeling naked with my clothes on"). I've mentioned this before, so I'm not just refering to melodies. The guitar sound starts wearing thin as well, causing songs to blend together and some points. And yes they did admit to, by doing as you said, crediting Sam Cooke. They didn't play it off, they admitted to sampling some of his music. Which is what I said. And I know a lot of people disagree with me, and I never claimed to be right. I'm defending my opinion against you and a few others here because you don't seem mature enough to handle it, you feel the need to pick my opinion apart and criticize it as if it's wrong. It's no more wrong or no more right than yours.

Also, the techincality doesn't matter. Show those songs to ordinary people and they'll say they sound very similar. The rest is just logistics. A lot of people here probably say they don't hear it because they see it as a criticism to the band, so they don't want to admit it. The general sound of the songs are similar. The most promiment part.

Wait, what? I said pop is a type of music. That's exactly what I said. Pop is an accessible and bright type of music. And yeah I have said positive things about the band. And I'm in this forum for the same reason as everyone else. To throw in my 2 cents. That's what forums are for. If you don't agree with me than fine, but I have just as much right to comment here as you or anyone.

Green Day did not "admit" to stealing Sam Cooke's song. They made the conscious creative choice to use a part of his song to build their own song around. Therefore, Sam Cooke is credited as a cowriter, as it is the correct and legal action. This does not suggest lack of originality, but rather a stylist choice to take an existing creation and changing it into a completely new song. This happens all the time, and has for literally centuries. Furthermore, this is not a sample. A sample would require Green Day to have taken the actual recording of Bring It On Home and put a portion of it into their song, or to rerecord the desired portion exactly. They did neither. The two songs have the same general musical construction, but they are played completely differently - different instrumentation, different mood and tone, and with a different vocal melody and lyrics over it. Honestly, I probably never would have noticed the similarity if I hadn't already heard about it. There are way more similar songs in the world that don't give credit to an earlier writer.

Another thing: Just because there are some similarities in some songs to others they have done, as well as to songs by other artists, it does not mean there is a lack of creativity or that the songs all sound indistinguishably similar. As far back as recorded music goes, there have always been similarities between some parts of songs - that's because all of the things that go into making a song (tempo, chords, notes, instrumental timbres, etc) are finite. It's just going to happen. And it doesn't necessarily mean someone is plagiarizing a song or that they're simply not creative - it just means that those 4 notes have been put together before. I could write a sentence, and I'm sure someone will have written the same thing before somewhere in the world. That's just they way it goes. The difference is how people think of this, and the ever lengthening terms of copyright. While Amy may have a distinctly Walking Alone -ish melody in some parts, the song as a whole is very different in terms of mood, tempo, subject, sonic quality, etc. Really, things like that can get rather nitpicky when it isn't something particularly notable.

Finally, the lyrics are actually very strong on many of these songs. Not everything will be poetic and deserving of some literary award, but I found most of the lyrics relay emotions beautifully. There is depth, they are thought-provoking, and they are at the very least on par with Green Day's previous songs. I don't see any issues with Billie's songwriting. I think this trilogy shows some of his best lyrics. You just happened to pick out a few of the weaker points, but every album has them.

First, Green Day is not a POP act. They have elements of pop in their music, and they can be accessible, but the genre of music they make is primarily rock. You can hear the obvious influences rock (as well as its earlier influences, like the blues, as well as its subsequently developed subgenres, like punk) have had on Green Day's music. And true, they have definite pop sensibilities, as their melodic songwriting demonstrates. But, given the instrumentation, lyrical topicality, and overall presentation of their music, Green Day is a rock band who makes rock music. They can then be fit into subgenres like alternative, punk, pop punk, etc. But there is no way anyone would confuse their music with that of, say, One Direction or Katy Perry, who make true, unmistakable pop music. As with most musicians, Green Day's music is very nuanced and takes influences from a wide variety of styles, and thus their music can fit into a wide variety of genres, depending on what song you're looking at. Most artists are not exclusive to one style of music, and Green Day isn't either. This trilogy alone demonstrates that clearly.

However, all things considered, Green Day would never be identified as a pop band who makes pop music. It is rock, regardless of how accessible you think it is. (And considering the current music trends on radio these days, their music isn't so accessible right now anyway.) (Also, Maroon 5 is much more pop then Green Day - always have been. That seems fairly self-evident.)

Second, while I can respect your opinion, I do wish you would stop presenting it as fact. In my opinion, their new songs *do* have that sparkle, Green Day does *not* sound washed up, and they do *not* sound like they're trying to be immature. Although Uno is overall comparable to their earlier albums, it has a different quality to it. It has a more mature perspective (such as in Nuclear Family) and talks about important topics (such as religion and media in Kill The DJ). But it also is able to show their fun side. It sounds like a band that can still create the kind of atmosphere as they did 15-20 years ago, but has also evolved over the last two decades as well. Dos is experimental and different for them, and shows that they can create an album that sounds fun on the surface despite the darker undertones that run through most of the songs. They show an ease in utilizing more garage rock and 60s styled instrumentation, something that they never did before (except for their less ambitious FBH record). And Tré is absolutely mature, and is a natural progression from Warning, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown. It sounds like a band that has progressed in their career and is able to offer a wiser perspective on life. Songs like X-Kid, Drama Queen, and Brutal Love could never have happened in their career before, but now they have evolved to that mental level. I am truly happy with the trilogy. If you don't like it, fine, but you don't have to make random assertions like they have bloated egos or are forcing immaturity or that they put no effort into their music. Even if you don't like it, it should be obvious those claims are unfounded.

Green Day did not "admit" to stealing Sam Cooke's song. They made the conscious creative choice to use a part of his song to build their own song around. Therefore, Sam Cooke is credited as a cowriter, as it is the correct and legal action. This does not suggest lack of originality, but rather a stylist choice to take an existing creation and changing it into a completely new song. This happens all the time, and has for literally centuries. Furthermore, this is not a sample. A sample would require Green Day to have taken the actual recording of Bring It On Home and put a portion of it into their song, or to rerecord the desired portion exactly. They did neither. The two songs have the same general musical construction, but they are played completely differently - different instrumentation, different mood and tone, and with a different vocal melody and lyrics over it. Honestly, I probably never would have noticed the similarity if I hadn't already heard about it. There are way more similar songs in the world that don't give credit to an earlier writer.

Another thing: Just because there are some similarities in some songs to others they have done, as well as to songs by other artists, it does not mean there is a lack of creativity or that the songs all sound indistinguishably similar. As far back as recorded music goes, there have always been similarities between some parts of songs - that's because all of the things that go into making a song (tempo, chords, notes, instrumental timbres, etc) are finite. It's just going to happen. And it doesn't necessarily mean someone is plagiarizing a song or that they're simply not creative - it just means that those 4 notes have been put together before. I could write a sentence, and I'm sure someone will have written the same thing before somewhere in the world. That's just they way it goes. The difference is how people think of this, and the ever lengthening terms of copyright. While Amy may have a distinctly Walking Alone -ish melody in some parts, the song as a whole is very different in terms of mood, tempo, subject, sonic quality, etc. Really, things like that can get rather nitpicky when it isn't something particularly notable.

Finally, the lyrics are actually very strong on many of these songs. Not everything will be poetic and deserving of some literary award, but I found most of the lyrics relay emotions beautifully. There is depth, they are thought-provoking, and they are at the very least on par with Green Day's previous songs. I don't see any issues with Billie's songwriting. I think this trilogy shows some of his best lyrics. You just happened to pick out a few of the weaker points, but every album has them.

...I think I love you :wub:

Awww! :friends:

Yes, thank you. You said it much more eloquently than I could have. :happy: This trilogy has some lyrics that I think are very easy to connect to. Some are a little silly, but others are very profound. That was probably done on purpose, too. Green Day has always done a good job of juxtaposing light-hearted and serious songs.

Awww! :friends:

But seriously, thank you for saying what I was thinking but to lazy to type. You're the hero GDC needs and deserves right now.

Green Day is a pop act. The Beatles is considered a pop act. Nirvana called themselves a pop act. They play accessible music. I meant music in general. Songs like Fuck Time and Makeout Party are immature, and not funny at all. They're gimmick tracks. Sure, they're intentionally meant to be stupid, but they aren't funny stupid. And you can't honestly say you wouldn't be able to hear the similarities between Sam Cooke's song and Brutal Love. Almost every single review has brought it up. Green Day sampled a large part of the melody, and that shows by giving writing credit to Cooke. The label probably did that so they wouldn't get sued over it. That's exactly what rappers do when they sample another artist's song. Also, I don't say my opinion is fact or act like it is. I say at the end of my comment this is my personal opinion. I just explain my opinions so people will know why I feel the way I feel.

Archived