¡Tré! chart performance

Requila

But Green Day still have a large fan base to headlining festivals. It's true they're not selling many copies anymore and get the heavy rotation thing like other artists today. It's the evolution of music how rock music we grew up with changde over the years. When you listen to the rock music in the mid 90's and then listen to the modern rock music you can really hear the difference. It feels like they have to use autotune and "computer-guitars" to get the attention like other bands get.

And when did billie joe use the autotune shit, failure00?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are at Warning level obscurity. They released two other singles besides Oh Love for iUno!, one of them was played live during a big award show (LYG), and both singles barley made a dent in the charts. People aren't interested in simple pop punk anymore, just listen to the radio. Rock music is becoming more complex and intricate, more layered. Indie is rising to the top, electronic rock, symphonic rock. Keyboards, synths, strings etc. Old rock is fading, times are moving to the next progression, the next evolution of music. Music that reflects the times. Alienation, paranoia, working class, living for today etc. Music is going beyond simple instruments, now it's something more, everything and anything. Green Day doesn't fit into that, hence they are losing revelancy.

Oh well, everybody loses relevancy at one point in their career. It's no way to avoid it.

But Green Day still have a large fan base to headlining festivals. It's true they're not selling many copies anymore and get the heavy rotation thing like other artists today. It's the evolution of music how rock music we grew up with changde over the years. When you listen to the rock music in the mid 90's and then listen to the modern rock music you can really hear the difference. It feels like they have to use autotune and "computer-guitars" to get the attention like other bands get.

And when did billie joe use the autotune shit, failure00?

21st Century Breakdown and the trilogy are filled with it.

Which songs (Except Nightlight and Christian's Inferno which aren't autotunesongs in my opinion)?

Green Day needs to wake the fuck up and realize that nobody wants to hear them play piano ballads and songs with little to no distortion. They got lucky with Good Riddance. Stop trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle. And Billie needs to stop with the pro tools and that auto tune shit.

That's a little harsh. I think the reason why "nobody (the people outside our bubble, I assume) wants to hear them" is because they haven't heard them due to the lack of promotion.

Personally, I love the ballads.

I actually think the trilogy has done really well so far considering the lack of, or inability to promote it. If they were able to go out and do their thing, and Warner were putting out proper singles, then it would be selling even more. Considering the circumstances, not too bad I think. If they promote the albums again once they're out there in public, there will be sales again. Funny how that works.

Which songs (Except Nightlight and Christian's Inferno which aren't autotunesongs in my opinion)?

I think you're just associating auto tune with the "robotic" voice sound. I think he has to use it now because his voice isn't what it used to be. If you compare older live performances with newer performances you can totally tell.

Green Day can afford to fade into obscurity, they're one of the biggest acts of the 1990's and 2000's, and they probably are each sitting on a small fortune each. Even if they split up now (which I hope they won't!), they're good for a long time. So I don't think they care about success anymore, it's just fanservice, which they've done admirably with the Trilogy. This was never an attempt to recreate American Idiot or Dookie, it was Green Day saying "Hey, you guys love our music, so here's three albums!". Say what you will about them, but Green Day love their fans.

It also seems like they're on a cycle; they made Dookie, which was huge, then Insomniac, which sold pretty well, because everyone loved Dookie, then Nimrod, which wasn't as well recieved, but the fans loved it, then Warning. But then they attained Dookie levels of fame with American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown sold pretty well for the same reasons as Insomniac. So the Trilogy is like the Nimrod and Warning of this cycle, as it were, so maybe we can expect an amazing comback album in 2015 or something? :P who knows, but my point is, (and I may be biased), anything these guys make, I'll buy it, and I'm sure a lot of people with that attitude are more important to Green Day than critics; at the end of the day, the fans help a band succeed, not the critics.

Rant over :)

In fact, autotune is the Chris Brown - Don't wake me up thing. Listen to Limp Bizkit's song 'Autotune' then you'll know what I mean.

And older performances? Of course his voice sounds different now, it's years ago and he screamed a lot,. He doesn't use the autotune-effects, he just changed his vocal technique

Green Day can afford to fade into obscurity, they're one of the biggest acts of the 1990's and 2000's, and they probably are each sitting on a small fortune each. Even if they split up now (which I hope they won't!), they're good for a long time. So I don't think they care about success anymore, it's just fanservice, which they've done admirably with the Trilogy. This was never an attempt to recreate American Idiot or Dookie, it was Green Day saying "Hey, you guys love our music, so here's three albums!". Say what you will about them, but Green Day love their fans.

It also seems like they're on a cycle; they made Dookie, which was huge, then Insomniac, which sold pretty well, because everyone loved Dookie, then Nimrod, which wasn't as well recieved, but the fans loved it, then Warning. But then they attained Dookie levels of fame with American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown sold pretty well for the same reasons as Insomniac. So the Trilogy is like the Nimrod and Warning of this cycle, as it were, so maybe we can expect an amazing comback album in 2015 or something? :P who knows, but my point is, (and I may be biased), anything these guys make, I'll buy it, and I'm sure a lot of people with that attitude are more important to Green Day than critics; at the end of the day, the fans help a band succeed, not the critics.

Rant over :)

I'm sure they can. But who wants that? I just want maximum Green Day back.

I see no reason to worry here. Green Day have had 2 major peeks (of course, with Dookie and then American Idiot). Many bands are lucky to have one. This era with the trilogy has been sloppy given the situation that unfolded with Billie Joe's health. If anyone expected Dos and Tre to become hits on their own with no promo or radio singles, then they were mistaken. Does this mean Green Day is fading into obscurity? No. It means there isn't a lot of natural demand for their music and that's normal because there's already an abundance of it. They have to prove to audiences that they are worth listening to again and I think they will do that once they are in full form again. Maybe this stumble is what they needed to have a resurgence once again.

In fact, autotune is the Chris Brown - Don't wake me up thing. Listen to Limp Bizkit's song 'Autotune' then you'll know what I mean.

And older performances? Of course his voice sounds different now, it's years ago and he screamed a lot,. He doesn't use the autotune-effects, he just changed his vocal technique

No. I have no desire to listen to that garbage. And, yes, he does. I'm sure all bands use it now. Doesn't mean they have to. His voice sounds too nice/fake now.

They are at Warning level obscurity. They released two other singles besides Oh Love for iUno!, one of them was played live during a big award show (LYG), and both singles barley made a dent in the charts. People aren't interested in simple pop punk anymore, just listen to the radio. Rock music is becoming more complex and intricate, more layered. Indie is rising to the top, electronic rock, symphonic rock. Keyboards, synths, strings etc. Old rock is fading, times are moving to the next progression, the next evolution of music. Music that reflects the times. Alienation, paranoia, working class, living for today etc. Music is going beyond simple instruments, now it's something more, everything and anything. Green Day doesn't fit into that, hence they are losing revelancy.

All you ever talk about is the evolution of music. Honestly, the synth and techno stuff you talk about has been around since the 80s. I don't think you quite understand what indie is, either. What you said fits in the definition of a sub genre it, but that's not what it strictly is. Last time I checked, strictly synthetic music is not the popular direction of rock right now, either. Not when folk rock bands like Mumford & Sons are ruling the charts. Also, alienation, paranoia, working class, and living for today are all covered in songs in the trilogy in songs like Loss of Control, Lazy Bones, 99 Revolutions, and Carpe Diem, just to name a few. I think you're looking at Dead Mau5, Skrillex, and whatnot and thinking that's the general direction of music. Maybe for people who like that sorta thing, yeah. But there is still an overwhelming number of people who actually like instruments. And if music is everything and anything, is that really music or just sound? I'm going to disagree with you on Green Day losing relevancy. In case you hadn't noticed, their lead singer is in rehab. He is not promoting the albums. This is not caused by some dramatic drop in popularity or by the quality of the music in the trilogy. This is caused by a lack of general public knowledge about the trilogy because the band that wrote the music cannot get the word out about it.

No. I have no desire to listen to that garbage. And, yes, he does. I'm sure all bands use it now. Doesn't mean they have to. His voice sounds too nice/fake now.

There's a big difference between auto tune and a little bit of editing. And like numerous people have mentioned, he's changed his technique.

Also, not sure what bands you've been listening to that makes you think that everyone uses it now.

#14 on the midweek UK charts. Not too bad considering the non-existent promotion.

I don't think wanting to be relevant should be talked about as though it is a bad thing. Of course the band wants to be relevant and successful. Who wouldn't? Bestselling authors don't suddenly stop caring if their books are successful even though they've already released hits. Actors don't want to make movies that will never be seen by the public. Hell, in the age of Twitter and Tumblr and Facebook, we ALL want to feel relevant by getting followers and likes. It is human to want to be heard. The guys very work hard and love what they do. Of course they want their work to be received well.

That said, I DO think they make the music that they love and just hope that it works out well when they release it. In that regard, I don't think they care about what people think. You don't make something like American Idiot while caring about if people agree with you or not. You don't make experimental albums like Warning assuming that it will be radio friendly. You don't make bold career move like sending a rock opera to Broadway and expect that everyone is gonna be pleased with the idea. You don't release a trilogy that is SO hard to market and expect it to be a commercial hit. They do in fact do exactly what they please, and that something I love about them. At the same time, doing what you want and not caring what people think doesn't automatically mean that it isn't still motivating to be well-liked.

I'm not worried about the popularity of the trilogy just yet. They haven't been able to properly promote it, but they will soon! It is tough to sell albums today. The bands who do sell well are all over doing promo, and under the circumstances, that just hasn't happened yet for the guys. Once they do, sales will pick up. I truly think it will be easier to market this as a package than three individual albums. MUCH easier. For the general public, it is easier to wrap your head around the idea of "go buy this trilogy" than "go buy disc 1 in September, disc 2 in November, disc 3 in December."

So many factors contributed to Dos and Tre flopping--but that doesn't mean this band is irrelevant, or at Warning-era obscurity levels.

Some of my thoughts, on this trilogy, in no particular order:

1) This absolutely, positively should have been a foxboro hot tub project. They could have released it packaged together as ONE album, instead of separately as three. Album sales for triple albums count three times, so they probably would have debuted on the charts with a gold record, selling 200k. People would be curious-- they would know it was green day album, they would buy it knowing it was a fun, party record, NOT a political rock opera, and it would have done great, commercially, and on the radio. Hell, it could have brought foxboro hot tubs mainstream. Imagine them doing a nation-wide tour, playing songs from uno, dos, tre, and stop drop and roll, in either smaller arenas or clubs? THATS how these albums should have been promoted.

2) If the band insisted on releasing this as green day, they should have consolidated it to one album. Im sorry if you, me, my wife, your brother, and my mom all have a different opinion on what the 15 best songs from the trilogy are: the fact of the matter is this. green day wanted to make fun, poppy, party music, not a rock opera. so for them to care what songs go on an album, or to try and have "integrity" while making a party album? to basically say "we dont want to release an american idiot/21st century breakdown album, we want to party," but then insist on releasing 37 of those songs? come on man. i love about 30 of the songs, but my only point is this: use the resources at your disposal! Get focus groups, test these songs out, see whats going to sell! Im sorry if thats not "punk," but if green day had just said "here you go warner, 37 songs, put the best on ONE disc," green day would be on top of the charts RIGHT NOW.

oh love-stray heart-8th avenue seranade-the forgotten. 4 rock solid singles--ON FOUR DIFFERENT ALBUMS!!!!! Who green lighted this project?

What band in the history of music could succeed in that scenario?

I repeat--4 great, album selling singles--ON FOUR DIFFERENT ALBUMS. released in about a 2 month window.

3) Time to go back to the black hair, black shirts, black pants, black eye liner, f*ck the government music. It was their niche, it was their voice, they were the only people in the country doing it. You can say it was getting old, but when i was at the front row of lollapalooza, with 250,000 people behind me singing along, it didnt feel like they were obscure. It felt like they were the biggest rock band in the world. A world that is massively f*cked up, people shooting 5 year olds in the face on a friday morning. Green day speaks for a generation that has no voice. I dont know why in the world they want to run away from that. Not saying I need a rock "opera," every 3 years, but give me that rebellious music again.

I think it's really sad to see Green Day Albums on #15 and the worst Christmas albums ever on #1. That pisses me off. It would be ok if this would be good music too but it's just shit..

I Just feel sad reading these comments. Haven't u ppl read what Andres said

" . But let's remember what's actually important - we have new music to listen to and explore, and whether it sells a thousand copies or a million - it doesn't change how this new music will affect each of us individually.. "

& also

"Green Day has given us 37 songs to let sink into our soul. They will be the soundtrack to parts of our lives, and in ten years we'll hear a song come on from this trilogy and it will remind us of something special yet to come. That's the power of music, and I'm glad we have over 120 minutes of new music to experience that with."

I Just feel sad reading these comments. Haven't u ppl read what Andres said

" . But let's remember what's actually important - we have new music to listen to and explore, and whether it sells a thousand copies or a million - it doesn't change how this new music will affect each of us individually.. "

& also

"Green Day has given us 37 songs to let sink into our soul. They will be the soundtrack to parts of our lives, and in ten years we'll hear a song come on from this trilogy and it will remind us of something special yet to come. That's the power of music, and I'm glad we have over 120 minutes of new music to experience that with."

yeah thats right and I'm really thankful! But what if they don't wanna go on like this. I'm just scared thats it...

You know what? Fuck the chart performance. We don't need them, 'cause we know what great music is. And if all the fools out there think, Chris Brown and the other fuckers are better than Green Day..just fuck them. Look at Sum 41 and there newest record Screaming Bloody Murder. The chart performance is "bad" but the music is just fucking awesome. Even Rise Against's Endgame wasn't doing that well on the charts. Enema of the State (Blink 182) wasn't doing good on the charts too. All this bands make great music. And chart performance, beeing played in the radio and stuff does'nt matter.

Archived