Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Talk About Guns Here

• Please log in to reply
712 replies to this topic

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,901 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,608 rep

Tim's point is that if criminals are going to get guns anyway (legally or not), law-abiding citizens should be able to legally obtain guns so that they can protect themselves from criminals with guns.

His fear is a home invasion scenario in which an armed assailant enters the home and the home owner can do nothing to stop the assailant from taking property, assaulting the residents of the home, etc. In a situation like that, you bet anyone would wish that they could meet the force with force. Is it likely that someone is going to break into Tim's home and pop a cap in his ass? Not really, but I can't blame the man for wanting to be prepared.

Does that protection actually work though? Are there less people hurt/killed during burglaries in the US than in countries where people don't have guns for protection? Are more people saved by having a gun than are killed or injured accidentally by them, or killed or injured because the fact they had a gun escalated the situation and got them shot/attacked by the criminal before they could use it, or killed or injured because criminals go in more aggressively in the first place because they know their victim might be armed? I don't know the statistics but as far as I know I don't think less people per total population in the US are burgled or hurt or killed by criminals than in European countries where people don't have guns. Unless it's actually causing less burglaries or less people to be hurt or killed during burglaries what's the point? I can't imagine wanted to go to the extreme of having a deadly weapon in the house without at least knowing that statistically it might be beneficial.

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • ­

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 2,872 rep

we do not have problems with mass baseball bat killings

I sleep with a baseball glove under my pillow in case someone tries to break in and hit a home run

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Lonely Starbucks Lover

• 17,651 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 18,919 rep

:ga:

Facts and opinions are not the same thing.

Z J

Z J
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2013
  • 1,753 rep

Yes someone breaks in your house starts attacking your family you have a knife they have guns

Have fun watching your family die

You will be a great protector...

I don't understand your scenario whatsoever, when did I ban guns?

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,918 rep

I don't understand your scenario whatsoever, when did I ban guns?

Where in that post did I say you said ban guns?

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 13,664 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,381 rep

Facts and opinions are not the same thing.

Points of view and opinions are not the same thing.

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,579 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 8,251 rep

"Point of view is a reflection of the opinion an individual from real life or fiction can have."
http://literarydevic.../point-of-view/

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Blasphemy Chickenstrips

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 5,305 rep

Yes they are, they're synonymous.

Examples: "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" is interchangeable with "In my opinion the Jedi are evil!" "From my point of view guns aren't designed to kill people" is interchangeable with "In my opinion guns aren't designed to kill people."

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Lonely Starbucks Lover

• 17,651 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 18,919 rep

Whatever word you want to use it's still a fact that a gun is a weapon designed to harm living beings.

• Rosie May and Z J like this

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • ­

• 14,437 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 2,872 rep

"Point of view is a reflection of the opinion an individual from real life or fiction can have."

I could stand in front of a still, tranquil body of water and see myself in the reflection. Doesn't mean there are two rootbeersoups in the world. Doesn't mean there AREN'T two rootbeersoups in the world either so don't subscribe to just one theory.

a gun is a weapon designed to harm living beings.

And mods are designed to harm my feelings : (

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,579 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 8,251 rep

I could stand in front of a still, tranquil body of water and see myself in the reflection. Doesn't mean there are two rootbeersoups in the world. Doesn't mean there AREN'T two rootbeersoups in the world either so don't commit to just one theory.

2rfezbc.jpg
  • Darth Praxus likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Anything But The Mainstream

• 13,553 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 13,639 rep

Does that protection actually work though? Are there less people hurt/killed during burglaries in the US than in countries where people don't have guns for protection? Are more people saved by having a gun than are killed or injured accidentally by them, or killed or injured because the fact they had a gun escalated the situation and got them shot/attacked by the criminal before they could use it, or killed or injured because criminals go in more aggressively in the first place because they know their victim might be armed? I don't know the statistics but as far as I know I don't think less people per total population in the US are burgled or hurt or killed by criminals than in European countries where people don't have guns. Unless it's actually causing less burglaries or less people to be hurt or killed during burglaries what's the point? I can't imagine wanted to go to the extreme of having a deadly weapon in the house without at least knowing that statistically it might be beneficial.

I don't have statistics on that. I do know that there are very regular reports in the U.S. of gun-owners being able to use their guns to stop crimes, but that's just something I know from reading the reports with my own two eyeballs, it's not a hard figure :P

I think peoples' stances on gun ownership for personal/home protection very much comes down to a combination of emotions, political leanings, and formative life experiences. Some people think that the responsibility/risks involved in owning a gun outweigh the benefits of it, others don't. It's really a matter of personal preference and opinion.

• WeAllFloatDownHere likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,901 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,608 rep

I don't have statistics on that. I do know that there are very regular reports in the U.S. of gun-owners being able to use their guns to stop crimes, but that's just something I know from reading the reports with my own two eyeballs, it's not a hard figure :P

I think peoples' stances on gun ownership for personal/home protection very much comes down to a combination of emotions, political leanings, and formative life experiences. Some people think that the responsibility/risks involved in owning a gun outweigh the benefits of it, others don't. It's really a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Still if I was going to consider taking a step like that I'd want my preference/opinion to be backed up by facts that prove it's more likely to help than harm me (although thankfully I don't have the option to really consider it). You'd think statistics on that stuff would be more widely available/studied. 

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Anything But The Mainstream

• 13,553 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 13,639 rep

Still if I was going to consider taking a step like that I'd want my preference/opinion to be backed up by facts that prove it's more likely to help than harm me (although thankfully I don't have the option to really consider it). You'd think statistics on that stuff would be more widely available/studied. 

I agree! So much of the gun debates hinges on emotions, personal experiences/anecdotes, etc. Many of the numbers that swirl around out there are conjured up by very biased sources, it's all very murky.

Z J

Z J
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2013
  • 1,753 rep

Where in that post did I say you said ban guns?

When you said I have a knife and the other guy had a gun? I don't see this particular discussion going anywhere so I'll lay out my opinion on guns

What we have now isn't working. There needs to be tighter regulations/requirements for gun ownership and on what can be sold. Small clips, no automatic rifles, etc.  would help. The statistics don't lie, tighter gun-control=less guns deaths per capita.

Advertising

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,163 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,918 rep

When you said I have a knife and the other guy had a gun? I don't see this particular discussion going anywhere so I'll lay out my opinion on guns

What we have now isn't working. There needs to be tighter regulations/requirements for gun ownership and on what can be sold. Small clips, no automatic rifles, etc.  would help. The statistics don't lie, tighter gun-control=less guns deaths per capita.

I agree with that 100%

As for the scenario I wasn't implying you said to ban guns just that if you don't/didn't have a gun how would you defend yourself against someone with one that's all sorry if you thought I was implying you were a ban gun set

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,156 rep

A thought just crossed my mind, and it's something that could never have a definitive answer, but I wonder how many guns that are now in the hands of "criminals" were originally bought legitimately by someone else for their protection.

I think pretty much every militant terrorist group that got its weapons from US Army leftovers can tell you the answer to that!

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,675 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,967 rep

I think pretty much every militant terrorist group that got its weapons from US Army leftovers can tell you the answer to that!

The military industrial complex aside, I think that a lot of civilians in the gun trade are irresponsible with who they sell it to, which is something society should act to change. One law here is that gun dealers can deny a sale without a reason, if they don't feel right about their customer. That is a good policy. People should care more about the implications of selling a gun. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

http://www.cracked.c...s-facebook.html

• Hayley and Darth Praxus like this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 15,155 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,016 rep

Have fun watching your family die

you always know how to lighten up a thread, Tim :happy:

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,163 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,918 rep

you always know how to lighten up a thread, Tim :happy:

I can go extreme sometimes I know

I try not to be an ass tho sometimes I fail

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,811 rep

Didn't realise guns could be allowed on college campuses until today. Like seriously, how can that be justified?

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • ­

• 14,437 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 2,872 rep

Didn't realise guns could be allowed on college campuses until today. Like seriously, how can that be justified?

Just in case a duck breaks into your dorm and tries to mockingly fly in a V pattern

• Rosie May likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users