Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Elementary School Shooting in Newton, CT

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,646 rep

No John, the emphasis is for the "on you" bit. When you bring a knife into a situation where you're the weaker party, yeah you could end up stabbing him, but he could also overpower and stab you. 

As opposed to no one having a knife and the risk of him overpowering her and choking her to death? 

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,455 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,939 rep

As opposed to no one having a knife and the risk of him overpowering her and choking her to death? 

Tasers, mace etc.

• Céadóg likes this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,646 rep

Tasers, mace etc.

I suppose it's all a matter of preference, what you feel most comfortable wielding. 

SuzD

SuzD
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined Sep 19, 2012
  • 53 rep

I just read this and wanted to share it.. everywhere.. really.  Guns are a part and i'll continue to argue that, but my heart breaks for this mother and others like her and mental health should clearly be in the discussion as well.

http://gawker.com/59...m-lanzas-mother

• chatnoir, Tubbie Head and uhleckseee like this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,646 rep

Very compelling article and it raises good points about why our mental health care system is broken.

Though I have to say, reading the absolutely moronic comments under the article made me lose brain cells.

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,836 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,055 rep

Is anyone watching the Memorial Service? Obama's speaking live right now. 

mmmcrazypills

mmmcrazypills
  • Watch out for Mastadons

• 13,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 15, 2006
  • 542 rep

Making another off topic post but really, can't you defend yourself by carrying something that could end up putting a hole in you? Taser, mace etc?

I can't be trusted to make sure a taser stays charged. Aerosol cans are unreliable. My knife is reliable. Plus I could just as easy be maced or tazed so whats the difference really.

On topic: 

Obama gave an excellent speech. Biden should eulogize at the funerals to keep the WBC away. I can't believe they're even contemplating picketing the funerals of small children.

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

fuck those westboro fuckos. seriously.

I saw a post from one of my friends from down south- from fox news (of course...) apparently some part of texas has now made it legal for teachers to carry guns (if they are licenced, trained in handling crisis situations, etc.)

I was glad to see at least there were requirements for training. But seriously, the problem is that i don't think a guy with an assault rifle gives two fucks about some teacher with a single handgun. These people are like suicide bombers. Not to mention that you can make bombs out of fertilizer.

I don't think you can ever prevent people from going on massive killing sprees other than being more in touch with mental illness.

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,646 rep

If only twenty-six innocent people could be brought back to life and replaced with twenty-six Westboro Baptist fuckwads. 

Obama gave an excellent speech. Biden should eulogize at the funerals to keep the WBC away. I can't believe they're even contemplating picketing the funerals of small children.

For a second I was wondering what Biden had to do with it and then I was like "oh yeah, Secret Service, they wouldn't be able to get remotely near the funeral." 
Only took me a few hours, I'm bright tonight.

• The Snark, mmmcrazypills and SuzD like this

uhleckseee

uhleckseee
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2009
  • 222 rep

I was appalled to learn that WBC is going to protest at these children's funerals. Every time I hear about them my blood boils. 

As for the shootings, I can't say more than what's already been said. We need more help for those with mental illnesses (and their families). The news should stop covering this story like crazy; let the families mourn in peace. 

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

I was appalled to learn that WBC is going to protest at these children's funerals. Every time I hear about them my blood boils. 

As for the shootings, I can't say more than what's already been said. We need more help for those with mental illnesses (and their families). The news should stop covering this story like crazy; let the families mourn in peace. 

For a moment I hoped this was a sick joke. 

I just read this and wanted to share it.. everywhere.. really.  Guns are a part and i'll continue to argue that, but my heart breaks for this mother and others like her and mental health should clearly be in the discussion as well.

http://gawker.com/59...m-lanzas-mother

Just read that, although as John said, some of the comment made me want to bury my head in the sand. 

One of them claiming mental illness doesn't exist.... errr? 

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

One of them claiming mental illness doesn't exist.... errr? 

This event is fucking PROOF that mental illness exists.

If only we just helped people...

EJN

EJN
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2011
  • 103 rep

Glad to see fellow GDCers thinking sensibly. Too many people are politicizing this as a gun control issue. Instead we need a multi-faceted solution of improving the country's mental health as a whole, improving the health care system as a whole, and tightening gun security. Unfortunately, I don't think any of this will happen. Many Republicans and Democrats are opposed to changing gun laws, and we all know how much the two parties agree on healthcare!

It's Splash Time

It's Splash Time
  • Phosphorus Iridium Astatine Einsteinium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts
  • Joined Oct 21, 2011
  • 2,908 rep

From what I read in a newspaper this morning, the gunman's mother was a survivalist and stockpiled things, including guns for the economic collapse. :S

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

From what I read in a newspaper this morning, the gunman's mother was a survivalist and stockpiled things, including guns for the economic collapse. :S

Meeennntaaaalll.... 

Advertising

The Snark

The Snark
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2005
  • 1,006 rep

I couldn't believe it when I heard that the WBC was going to picket at the school and funerals.  It's just disgusting that there are people out there who believe that god sent the shooter.  But there is a group on facebook that currently has 7456 members who are planning on forming 'human walls' between those fuckers and the mourners.  

From what I've heard on the news about the shooter, I'm starting to wonder if he was Austistic...maybe somewhere around the Aspergers side.  With how angry people became towards any Muslim they saw after 9/11, I'm now afraid that if it's true, that now autistic children will become the victims of misguided vengence. 

That's new.  I've only heard that she was really into target shooting and had a license and training for all her guns.  I'm still wondering why she needed an assault rifle, though. 

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,336 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,040 rep
I'm reading right now that the killer has more bullets in his gun and he was planned to murder more innocent kids.

"If people want to hunt, a gun that shoot one bullet can do the work. The same thing about someone who want to protect his house. if you need more than this, I don't know what to say"

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 590 rep

Saw the news today, and they said that up to Xmas Day there will be funerals every day. It broke my heart. These little kids, their families - how can one live on with such a desaster, such a loss...? Child is gone, out of blue heaven, with a snap... But I also grieve for the dead teachers, for the mother and her son, for all the families and friends who suffer. It´s a tragedy for everyone involved. Leaves me speechless.

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 13,014 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,904 rep
Found this video on youtube.
http://m.youtube.com...kipcontrinter=1
Sorry, it's moblie youtube. What do you think?

Vespertine

Vespertine
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2009
  • 450 rep

So the shooting was a hoax and all the parents who apparently lost their children are actually actors. Oh, and those kids are also not dead and they never attended Sandy Hook. Obviously the whole town is also in on the hoax, since no one has ever said anything about those parents and children not existing. My aunt actually lives in Newtown. The government probably paid her to keep quiet.

lol. Give me a break. How can anyone believe in these theories? 

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,646 rep

That is unbelievably fucking stupid. 

So the shooting was hoax and all the parents who apparently lost their children are actually actors. Oh, and those kids are also not dead and they never attended Sandy Hook. Obviously the whole town is also in on the hoax, since no one has ever said anything about those parents and children not existing. My aunt actually lives in Newtown. The government probably paid her to keep quiet.

Not to mention, what did the government actually yield from their little hoax? A bill that does the equivalent of regulating guns as much as cars, that is going to be filibustered into oblivion so Republicans and red state Democrats don't lose their NRA A rating? 

That's what's so utterly absurd, that nothing at all was accomplished anyway. 

• Vespertine likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users