Beatles influences in Green Day

GDOBSSOR

Except Brutal Love is a Cooke influence song not the Beatles

A song doesn't have to be influenced by just one artist... Obviously its closest resemblance is to Sam Cooke as is credited but the guitar arrangement has some similarities with Oh Darling. And its also quite possible that Oh Darling is influenced by Sam Cooke as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually sends more like "I Should Have Known Better". Actually, it barely sounds anything like Love Me Do other than the fact it has a harmonica in it.

and you can't say influenced by without a source, you can only say it sounds similar to.

my source was BJA. kiss my ass. it was an interview he did.

A song doesn't have to be influenced by just one artist... Obviously its closest resemblance is to Sam Cooke as is credited but the guitar arrangement has some similarities with Oh Darling. And its also quite possible that Oh Darling is influenced by Sam Cooke as well.

It was Cooke he wasnt a fan of Beatles for that reason

my source was BJA. kiss my ass. it was an interview he did.

I meant you can't just say these things, even if you remember hearing them, without posting the interview itself. You need to cite it. She can't write a paper based on claims without the actual sources. The only thing she doesn't need a source for other than the songs is if she made the connection that they sound similar, and in this case, it doesn't really sound as close to Love Me Do as it does to I Should Have Known Better. but if Billie said so himself, that's fine -- but she is going to need access to that interview.

Personally I would just choose a different topic becasue as much as people say Green Day has been influenced by The Clash, The Beatles, The Ramones etcetra etcetra they haven't really. Well, maybe they have but you certainly don't hear it. Even if they're all old and famous and revolutionary that doesn't mean they influenced Green Day

Just sayin........

uhm no, actually not even the same melody

Which further proves my point that both bands focus heavily on intricate and unique melodies.

Personally I would just choose a different topic becasue as much as people say Green Day has been influenced by The Clash, The Beatles, The Ramones etcetra etcetra they haven't really. Well, maybe they have but you certainly don't hear it. Even if they're all old and famous and revolutionary that doesn't mean they influenced Green Day

Just sayin........

Sure, that's if you go based on similarities in songs you pick up on yourself. but when Billie actually talks about them influencing him, I don't see what the problem is.

You "don't hear it" because they're not copycats of any single band. They have certain influences from a bunch of bands, plus their own spin on it. That's why they're unique. but that doesn't mean they're not influenced by anyone.

• 1 month later...

Hmm...

The Cavern Club ----- Gilman

The White Album (double album) ------ the trilogy

Let It Be (the film) ------ Cuatro

Sgt. Peppers ----- American Idiot

And a lot of similar style songs.

I think the most Beatles influence you can see in Green Day are harmony vocals. The Beatles were the kings of harmony back vocals, they basically invented the way it is used to this day. Harmony vocals in punk rock was very unusual, so the vocal harmonys Billie and Mike have going on are kind of special. Look at any punk album of the 90s and you can't find any harmony vocals like they are on Kerplunk and Dookie :D

Hmm...

The Cavern Club ----- Gilman

The White Album (double album) ------ the trilogy

Let It Be (the film) ------ Cuatro

Sgt. Peppers ----- American Idiot

And a lot of similar style songs.

I'd say American Idiot is Green Day's equivalent to Revolver and 21CB is their equivalent to Sgt Peppers; AI is a tight album, just like Revolver. 21CB is great, but quite bombastic and a little self indulgent, just like Sgt Peppers.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG i love this topic, i really think that green day had a huge influence by the beatles lots of the music and lyrics are the proof of that, and i´m verry happy for that cause the beatles are my favorite band with green day. And i think that you can tell the most about thatin the trilogy, especially in songs like Amy, The forgotten, Drama Queen and Fell for you and i really love that!!!!!! :wub:

Just sayin........

Just sayin........

What are you talking about???

Of course you can hear influences of Beatles, Clash, Ramones and many other bands in Green Day songs.

The songs don't sound exactly the same...obviously...cause they're different songs...but the influences are there, clear as day.

In the Trilogy alone you hear them all over the place.

Listen to 'Carpe Diem' and tell me that was not influenced by the Clash.

That intro to 'Stay The Night' sounds like something from 'Who's Next'.

'The Forgotten' could very well be a, long lost, Beatles song that only BJ knew about...hehe.

Brutal Love screams Sam Cooke to the point of him getting a credit on the record.

The bass line on 'Stray Heart' in heavily influenced by Iggy Pop's 'Lust For Life'.

'Wow! That's Loud' has been described as a Beatles song with Who sounding guitars...and I agree with that.

This could go on for a while....and into all their other record's...but I'll stop here.

Green Day is a great band cause they take all those influences and make their own thing...but the influence's are definitely there.

I mean, maybe you can't hear them...but I can and a lot of other people I know can!!!

Drama queen is very beatles esque, especially the drum part. Here is a cover.

Seriously, all you post are your covers. It's getting annoying.

What are you talking about???

Of course you can hear influences of Beatles, Clash, Ramones and many other bands in Green Day songs.

The songs don't sound exactly the same...obviously...cause they're different songs...but the influences are there, clear as day.

In the Trilogy alone you hear them all over the place.

Listen to 'Carpe Diem' and tell me that was not influenced by the Clash.

That intro to 'Stay The Night' sounds like something from 'Who's Next'.

'The Forgotten' could very well be a, long lost, Beatles song that only BJ knew about...hehe.

Brutal Love screams Sam Cooke to the point of him getting a credit on the record.

The bass line on 'Stray Heart' in heavily influenced by Iggy Pop's 'Lust For Life'.

'Wow! That's Loud' has been described as a Beatles song with Who sounding guitars...and I agree with that.

This could go on for a while....and into all their other record's...but I'll stop here.

Green Day is a great band cause they take all those influences and make their own thing...but the influence's are definitely there.

I mean, maybe you can't hear them...but I can and a lot of other people I know can!!!

These similarities are there, but they are very slight. To the casual Beatles, Ramones, Clash fan almost no connections would be made.

Hmmmmmmm how do I say this....

What I'm trying to say is the influences are not 'Clear as day' and yeah I think that carpe diem really isn't all that Clash. There are traces here and there if you listen closley, but I'm afraid i'm just not really hearing them. I'm not sure what else to say, because everyone will have their own personal opinions on what they think is similar and what is not. You think they're very similar, I think they're not so similar, cool. I respect your argument, so please don't disrespect mine and say what I can and can't hear. =/

These similarities are there, but they are very slight. To the casual Beatles, Ramones, Clash fan almost no connections would be made.

Hmmmmmmm how do I say this....

What I'm trying to say is the influences are not 'Clear as day' and yeah I think that carpe diem really isn't all that Clash. There are traces here and there if you listen closley, but I'm afraid i'm just not really hearing them. I'm not sure what else to say, because everyone will have their own personal opinions on what they think is similar and what is not. You think they're very similar, I think they're not so similar, cool. I respect your argument, so please don't disrespect mine and say what I can and can't hear. =/

Sorry....I mean't no disrespect.

Maybe it came across like that...and reading back what I wrote it did come across like that.

I got what you were saying but my opinion is different.

I was just giving you my opinion but I completely respect yours.

There's no intonation on-line so I think that's why you thought I was disrespecting you. But I was just continuing a conversation.

Sorry again!!!

Sorry....I mean't no disrespect.

Maybe it came across like that...and reading back what I wrote it did come across like that.

I got what you were saying but my opinion is different.

I was just giving you my opinion but I completely respect yours.

There's no intonation on-line so I think that's why you thought I was disrespecting you. But I was just continuing a conversation.

Sorry again!!!

Haha that's okay :happy:

And I thought I was the only one thinking about the simularities with the beatles!But also Mike gave Paul McCartney a custom bass :)

Archived