Beatles influences in Green Day

GDOBSSOR

I've got to do an essay on how the Beatles could have influenced Green Day. Does anyone know any good online electronic resources?

Thanks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mods are probably gonna close this, we shouldn't be doing your homework.

You can hear the Beatle's influence in songs like Last Night on Earth, The Forgotten, and other ballads.

Well Google is probably your best bet, but you're probably not going to find a lot. I would stick with comparing the artists yourself and drawing comparisons where you see fit. For example, looking at how Warning echoes Rubber Soul in both style and the context of the albums. Remember to always back up assertions with evidence. For further reference, smaller questions like this should be directed to Green Day Q&A Thread

Mods are probably gonna close this, we shouldn't be doing your homework.

You can hear the Beatle's influence in songs like Last Night on Earth, The Forgotten, and other ballads.

I'm comparing Hold on to I Should've known better. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good resources.

"Brutal Love" has some similar vibe with "Oh Darling"! I think Green Day are more connected to Beatles than any other band today...

I'm comparing Hold on to I Should've known better. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good resources.

Well if you're specifically comparing those two songs I would try to find if Billie had ever said that the two songs were connected. I still think your best bet is comparing the two yourself in terms of the instrumentation (similar use of harmonica and acoustic guitar) and lyrical themes (disillusionment)

I actually wrote a paper on the Beatles influence, and of course I included Green Day! Let me see if I can find it and I'll give you the sources. :)

Alright. Here it is. Please forgive me if it sounds like it was written by a fifteen year old ... because it was. :P

DO NOT COPY ME. I AM SIMPLY GIVING YOU THE INFORMATION I GOT FROM THE SOURCE.

The Beatles also have influenced many popular modern bands. Green Day is one of those bands. The front man of Green Day is Billie Joe Armstrong. When he was younger, his older brother, Allen, gave his Beatles records to him. Billie Joe wasn’t one of those kids that refused to listen to modern music. He actually found the music videos of his time exciting. However, The Beatles were the band that inspired and comforted him the most. Instead of learning music theory, he would rather learn how to play the guitar by listening to his Beatles records and figuring out the songs by ear. (Ironically, this is what The Beatles would do when they were learning how to play, claiming they cannot read a single note in music.) He would listen to the songs over and over again until he was able to play them almost perfectly. Although The Beatles’ influence on Green Day is not obvious, it is still strong, and they still remain Billie Joe’s favorite musical group (Spitz 2006).

and here is the source

Spitz, Marc

2006 Nobody Likes You: Inside the turbulent life, times, and music of Green Day. United States: Hyperion.

I don't know if it's online. I actually got it from the library.

Additional tips:

• Not only does Last Night on Earth sound like it could be a Beatles song, but it uses the phrase "sending all my love to you", while All My Loving by The Beatles bears the similar phrase, "I'll send all my loving to you". If that speculation isn't enough, you could take into account that Billie, on his official twitter, said "At the end of every text to adrienne I would say "all my lovin" like the beatles song. That's when the lyrics came to mind." Link to the tweet.
  • Green Day has played/recorded at Abbey Road. Proof here.
  • Billie said part of the trilogy will sound like the Beatles. Read it yourself if you don't believe me.
  • Sometimes they cover Beatles songs live, like Hey Jude . "But Lauren, everyone covers Hey Jude. It's so over rated! That doesn't mean the Beatles influence them." Oh yeah? Then why did they cover It Won't Be Long, too? (I took this video, so feel free to credit me ;))
  • And it's one thing to spend a few seconds covering a song live. but what about when they spend hours recording and filming a cover of Working Class Hero? Yeah, it's not the Beatles, but John Lennon should be good enough.
  • Take a listen to the harmonica in Hold On, and then take a listen to the harmonica in I Should Have Known Better. You tell me.

You better get an A on this essay! lol

Ironically, this is what The Beatles would do when they were learning how to play, claiming they cannot read a single note in music

The Beatles learned by ear and can't read music?? There is hope for me.

I feel a lot of the influence The Beatles had on Green Day relates to melody. A lot of Beatles and Green Day songs put so much importance on that aspect of the music. Most of the songs Billie writes have very intricate and unique melodies, just like most of the melodies Lennon/McCartney wrote were very precise and intricate.

We wanted something punchier, more power pop – somewhere between AC/DC and the early Beatles. - Billie Joe Armstrong on Uno, Dos, Tre

"(For our next album we want Bono to join the band so he can be on the cover of our next album and truly complete the trilogy. With the final album being called Catorce.)" - BJA

The harmonies in Pulling teeth, and the composition in general is very Beatles influenced. Then there is Last Night on Earth, a lot of Nimrod songs, Hold On harmonica as mentioned before, Fell For You has a very Beatles (60s pop rock more generally) sound (especially the drums), Amy, Brutal Love and many more songs. Also, even though its not The Beatles per se, they covered a John Lennon song in Working Class Hero.

The Beatles learned by ear and can't read music?? There is hope for me.

Ditto Brian Wilson who was also deaf in one ear.

@OP.

Be careful how you quote Beatles influences because the Beatles themselves were heavily influenced by other bands both historical (eg Buddy Holly) and peers (mostly notably Brian Wilson aka Beach Boys). So appreciate where the Beatles influence starts and ends otherwise you end up saying 'sounds like the Beatles' and no more.

Essential research should include listening to the entire Beatles catalogue (13 LPs I think) and reading something like Revolution In the Head.

Essential research should include listening to the entire Beatles catalogue (13 LPs I think) and read something like Revolution In the Head.

Everyone should do this anyway!

The harmonies in Pulling teeth, and the composition in general is very Beatles influenced. Then there is Last Night on Earth, a lot of Nimrod songs, Hold On harmonica as mentioned before, Fell For You has a very Beatles (60s pop rock more generally) sound (especially the drums), Amy, Brutal Love and many more songs. Also, even though its not The Beatles per se, they covered a John Lennon song in Working Class Hero.

Except Brutal Love is a Cooke influence song not the Beatles

the Beatles were know for using VOX amplifiers. on quatro, Jason said they used a VOX amp for some of the songs. The Beatles were also known for playing Rickenbacker guitars and there are some clips/pics out there of Jason using a Rickenbacker in the studio and on stage.

oh and Eleanor Rigby and Brain Stew mix well haha :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSEkTKC0eNQ

"Hold On" was influenced by "Love Me Do". at least the harmonica intro was

It actually sends more like "I Should Have Known Better". Actually, it barely sounds anything like Love Me Do other than the fact it has a harmonica in it.

and you can't say influenced by without a source, you can only say it sounds similar to.

Archived