Gaslight Anthem talk about Billie Joe and his meltdown (video)

desertrose

But they cut off 25 minutes of their performance for Rihanna and Usher! They only had 1 minute for each song, if they wanted to play everything they were supposed to. And yeah, and I don't think this was a meltdown.

If I am not mistaken, he knew he only had a half an hour to preform prior to going on. He could have easily finished Basketcase and exited the stage, but he decided to rant on for the last minute about only having one minute. Meltdown? Probably most likely explanation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am not mistaken, he knew he only had a half an hour to preform prior to going on. He could have easily finished Basketcase and exited the stage, but he decided to rant on for the last minute about only having one minute. Meltdown? Probably most likely explanation.

Whoa, seriously? '-' I thought they had 45 minutes, but it was reduced to 25 minutes (Ok, they cut off 20 minutes, just correcting what I said above)... Okay, I'm still kinda confused about this. Anyway, backing to the main subject, Brian said a nice thing, in my opinion.

But they cut off 25 minutes of their performance for Rihanna and Usher! They only had 1 minute for each song, if they wanted to play everything they were supposed to. And yeah, and I don't think this was a meltdown.

Wrong they were contracted for 30 mins even Billie said in the interview right before their performance "we only have 30 mins to perform"

Wrong they were contracted for 30 mins even Billie said in the interview right before their performance "we only have 30 mins to perform"

Oh, I think I missed this part... Thank you, and sorry for the spam. I will try to be more informed the next time.

Oh, I think I missed this part... Thank you, and sorry for the spam. I will try to be more informed the next time.

No biggie at all

There was no meltdown for crying out loud. Get real

There clearly was. Jesus. The deniers are still out there lol

There clearly was. Jesus. The deniers are still out there lol

Ehhh if you have to label it I guess you could call it a meltdown but when you view it from other celebs meltdowns it's tame

I think of iheart has him just being in a bad mood (be it from performing or something in his personal life) and having too much to drink which doesn't mix...

If he hadnt done the treatment right after the iheart performance noone would be talking about it

Ehhh if you have to label it I guess you could call it a meltdown but when you view it from other celebs meltdowns it's tame

I think of iheart has him just being in a bad mood (be it from performing or something in his personal life) and having too much to drink which doesn't mix...

If he hadnt done the treatment right after the iheart performance noone would be talking about it

The result of what happened is what made it a meltdown.

The result of what happened is what made it a meltdown.

I guess i just view meltdowns being alot bigger and more extreme like Britney Spears going batshit crazy shaving her hair off etc to me is a meltdown

I guess i just view meltdowns being alot bigger and more extreme like Britney Spears going batshit crazy shaving her hair off etc to me is a meltdown

Britney set the bar pretty high, it's not fair to label anything less extreme to be a bad day.

I like the way they view this and I agree with them. Why are people making such a big deal out of it?

Also I wouldn't see it as a meltdown, he was just angry and pissed off. I act like this at least once a week, I ain't having meltdowns.

His view on this is great, I just wish more people had that kind of view on this whole thing.

I like the way they view this and I agree with them. Why are people making such a big deal out of it?

Also I wouldn't see it as a meltdown, he was just angry and pissed off. I act like this at least once a week, I ain't having meltdowns.

It was a meltdown maybe meltdown is too harsh a word but it was an obvious breaking point. People really need to stop seeing it as 'punk' outburst and see it for what it was an inebriated man with problems that were piling up. Billie has been wasted on stage before, did you see him freaking out then ..No. Its pretty clear something went off in his head that day. No denying it

I agree that his actions aren't really those of a meltdown... within the context of a Green Day gig, where swearing profusely and breaking shit is all part of the fun.

But watching the whole 30 min set is cringe-worthy, Billie just doesn't seem on his A, B or C game: not queuing Tré in during Holiday, awkward grinding with random crowd member, being shouty at the audience in an uncharacteristicly angry way, taking long breaks to wander around the stage and crowd to then count down the time warnings from 10 mins to 1 before flipping out. It looks like a punk rock outburst if you omit the first 28 mins or so. With them the fallout doesn't seem so crazy... besides the whole "ZOMG he swore and made fun of Justing Bieber!" response. It seems to miss the bigger picture somewhat.

What we label the event doesn't change its affects on the band's hiatus, tour dates, promotional appearances or album releases. Here's to leaving this unpleasantness in the past - categorisation agruments, conspiracy theories and all - and looking forward to a Green 2013 with the guys ready to fire on all cylinders as we know and love them!

OK, also, Gaslight has announced shows in my area in March, but I'm afraid to buy a ticket because with my luck, the Green Day U.S. shows will be rescheduled to the same day as the Gaslight show. So, Green Day, PLEASE announce the rescheduled dates soon :(

It was a meltdown maybe meltdown is too harsh a word but it was an obvious breaking point. People really need to stop seeing it as 'punk' outburst and see it for what it was an inebriated man with problems that were piling up. Billie has been wasted on stage before, did you see him freaking out then ..No. Its pretty clear something went off in his head that day. No denying it

I wasn't saying that it was just a punk outburst, obviously he has some issues he needs to work on, but I personally wouldn't label it a meltdown either. :confused:

I'm just going to ignore all that arguing up there. :whistle

Wow, that was very well put! Thanks for sharing! It's interesting how most of his fellow musicians are very understanding of what Billie did and also kind of relating to it. It's just the media that's going bat shit insane about it. :lol:

Is there really an argument about what classifies as a "meltdown"? Jesus. It's like the whole "punk" debate all over again.

Anyways, really awesome video.

But he did.

He himself considered that something was going in the false direction. And the fact that they had to cancel the Italian concert before shows that there was something weird going on short time before IHR.

If he was just bad tempered or in a bad mood, it would just have been a nasty event. But it obviously was more than that, maybe the peak of an iceberg, and he made his decision for treatment as a last consequence.

Maybe he just needed a break for whatever reason.

But he did.

He himself considered that something was going in the false direction. And the fact that they had to cancel the Italian concert before shows that there was something weird going on short time before IHR.

If he was just bad tempered or in a bad mood, it would just have been a nasty event. But it obviously was more than that, maybe the peak of an iceberg, and he made his decision for treatment as a last consequence.

Maybe he just needed a break for whatever reason.

Oh yeah I'm glad he did it's a good thing he wanted help for it

Archived