Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

Gaslight Anthem talk about Billie Joe and his meltdown (video)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

desertrose

desertrose
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 9,542 rep

POPULAR

From a September interview

Click to view video

http://kroq.cbslocal...n-day-meltdown/

JorickF

JorickF
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Joined Oct 12, 2008
  • 684 rep

It's great when people have an actual rational opinion about things. Great response!

LudeBoy

LudeBoy
  • thei see me tverkin' thei haytin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011
  • 569 rep

and that is why i love brian fallon and gaslight anthem.

"Honestly, last time I checked that was Billie Joe of the PUNK ROCK band Green Day. You mean a punk rocker acted angry? Oh, so surprising! Smash guitars? Wait, I thought that’s what punk rockers are supposed to do?”"

although i'm not looking forward to the "green day isn't punk!" arguments, that may arrive from this,

inthehallwaynow

inthehallwaynow
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 4,023 rep

Perfect

Velocity

Velocity
  • The Diamond Church Street Choir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 703 rep

I saw this interview when it came out, and I love how Brian didn't treat it like Billie was having a complete breakdown or blow it out of proportion. 

Plus I completely loved seeing the frontman of my second favorite band talk about the frontman of my favorite band :ninja:

House Of Wolves

House Of Wolves
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2009
  • 21 rep

There was no meltdown for crying out loud. Get real

brianbags

brianbags
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2009
  • 104 rep

Uh....this meltdown led directly to substance abuse rehab....

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Arse Doctor. PhD/Bloodqueef McOral (and Hitler)

• 14,455 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 8,828 rep

Yeah, he was just having a bad day.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 935 rep

The crowd were shit, I would have been pissed off too. Nice rational response from Gaslight Anthem.

dolce_amore93

dolce_amore93
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Joined Dec 05, 2010
  • 1,227 rep

I agree that what actually happened was in no way, shape, or form a "meltdown." Last I checked cursing and smashing guitars were a normal part of something that occurs at a rock concert. 

That said, it was still very "off" behavior for him (i'm not saying it is off for him to curse or get mad, but  right after I watched it for the first time I was shocked to see how utterly enraged he seemed). Obviously it was a small incident that was apart of something much more serious boiling under the surface. At this point though, I genuinely couldn't care less how people are labeling what happened at iHeart. Since then, a lot more important things have occurred and that incident just seems rather insignificant now. 

mjb1124

mjb1124
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Aug 05, 2006
  • 3 rep

If it weren't for the fact that he checked himself in right after this, I definitely wouldn't have seen a big deal.    I guess maybe people were shocked because they had scaled back their "punk" sensibilities a bit over the years (for better or worse), and because it was at a big corporate event (don't mess with Clear Channel!).   Really, it's no worse than how they acted at Woodstock '94.

The Gaslight Anthem are from my hometown so of course I'm going to be a bit biased towards them.   (Never met them though!) But they definitely make some great music and it's nice to see them give Green Day their props.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 14,455 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 8,828 rep
I'm just gonna clarify, I was sarcastic. I saw it as a meltdown, and it got him to rehab. In that way I'm almost happy it happened, rather at a festival than a stadium somewhere.

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 592 rep

Brian Fallon is one of the best guys in music. Reminds me a bit of Henry Rollins, he's just a guy you'd want to have on your side.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,110 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,289 rep

I saw this interview when it came out, and I love how Brian didn't treat it like Billie was having a complete breakdown or blow it out of proportion. 

Plus I completely loved seeing the frontman of my second favorite band talk about the frontman of my favorite band :ninja:

Yeah, the last time my other favorite band talked about GD/Billie, it was Brandon Flowers and we all know how that turned out. So, this is an upgrade! :D

yuan

yuan
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Joined Sep 19, 2011
  • 264 rep

^that's why he kinda turns me off from his band.. =/ oh well, at least he once paid mike's meal..

Advertising

House Of Wolves

House Of Wolves
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2009
  • 21 rep

I'm just gonna clarify, I was sarcastic. I saw it as a meltdown, and it got him to rehab. In that way I'm almost happy it happened, rather at a festival than a stadium somewhere.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I doubt the public really has any idea what's going on with his personal business.

Edited by House Of Wolves, 12 December 2012 - 10:59 PM.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 14,455 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 8,828 rep

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I doubt the public really has any idea what's going on with his personal business.

I myself can call whatever the fuck I want a meltdown. this definition seems right to me

House Of Wolves

House Of Wolves
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2009
  • 21 rep

I myself can call whatever the fuck I want a meltdown. this definition seems right to me

You're wrong. But okay.

IsaGreenDay

IsaGreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Joined Nov 03, 2012
  • 1,412 rep
The crowd was horrible, the circunstances were ridiculous... Billie was right to be pissed, and I'm glad that there are more people recognizing it.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,110 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,289 rep

Also, all I want in life is for Gaslight to open for GD.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 14,455 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 8,828 rep

You're wrong. But okay.

I'm glad you have inside information. and please enlighten me, why am I wrong? Is your definition of meltdown "more correct" than mine?
You're silly.

JardyOfSuburbia

JardyOfSuburbia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2012
  • 168 rep

God, do I love The Gaslight Anthem. Brian Fallon is awesome. I read something once that American Idiot was a huge inspiration to him as well.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,946 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 495 rep

The crowd was horrible, the circunstances were ridiculous... Billie was right to be pissed, and I'm glad that there are more people recognizing it.

How did he have the right to be pissed?

The iheart wasnt a meltdown but to say he has the right to be pissed how he signed the contract he agreed to perform he knew the crowd would be varied

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 29,484 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 5,929 rep
I saw these guys in a small club in Madrid a few weeks ago, Brian is a really nice bloke.
Cheers for the video.

IsaGreenDay

IsaGreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Joined Nov 03, 2012
  • 1,412 rep

How did he have the right to be pissed?
The iheart wasnt a meltdown but to say he has the right to be pissed how he signed the contract he agreed to perform he knew the crowd would be varied

But they cut off 25 minutes of their performance for Rihanna and Usher! They only had 1 minute for each song, if they wanted to play everything they were supposed to. And yeah, and I don't think this was a meltdown.

Marrymebilliejoe

Marrymebilliejoe
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 318 rep

But they cut off 25 minutes of their performance for Rihanna and Usher! They only had 1 minute for each song, if they wanted to play everything they were supposed to. And yeah, and I don't think this was a meltdown.

If I am not mistaken, he knew he only had a half an hour to preform prior to going on. He could have easily finished Basketcase and exited the stage, but he decided to rant on for the last minute about only having one minute. Meltdown? Probably most likely explanation.

IsaGreenDay

IsaGreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Joined Nov 03, 2012
  • 1,412 rep

If I am not mistaken, he knew he only had a half an hour to preform prior to going on. He could have easily finished Basketcase and exited the stage, but he decided to rant on for the last minute about only having one minute. Meltdown? Probably most likely explanation.

Whoa, seriously? '-' I thought they had 45 minutes, but it was reduced to 25 minutes (Ok, they cut off 20 minutes, just correcting what I said above)... Okay, I'm still kinda confused about this. Anyway, backing to the main subject, Brian said a nice thing, in my opinion.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,946 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 495 rep

Wrong they were contracted for 30 mins even Billie said in the interview right before their performance "we only have 30 mins to perform"

IsaGreenDay

IsaGreenDay
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Joined Nov 03, 2012
  • 1,412 rep

Wrong they were contracted for 30 mins even Billie said in the interview right before their performance "we only have 30 mins to perform"

Oh, I think I missed this part... Thank you, and sorry for the spam. I will try to be more informed the next time.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,946 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 495 rep

Oh, I think I missed this part... Thank you, and sorry for the spam. I will try to be more informed the next time.

No biggie at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users