My thoughts on the trilogy

Fuzz

I've written a very long editorial about the trilogy. Everything from the music, sales, promotion, rehab, kind of everything that's been going on. Here's the first couple paragraphs

Now that the trilogy is out I thought I might reflect a little on this whole project. We learned of this whole thing back in April with a tweet from Billie Joeannouncing they'd be releasing 3 albums over several months toward the end of 2012 and into early 2013. Most fans were elated, the idea that we would get so much new music from our favorite band is pretty damn exciting. There were naysayers, but I'm pretty sure that with every Green Day album since Dookie there have been people bitching about it.

I think many of us did feel this undercurrent of worry, however small, that this might be a mistake. The idea of any band releasing 37 songs across three albums separated by only a few weeks and the attention span of our internet-fried "give-me-everything-now" culture, lends itself to worry. It's different, most musicians don't do it, it could fail, and none of us want to see anything fail that Green Day does. At the same time, it was bold, different, and interesting.

We've always known Green Day writes a tremendous amount of music between albums. After American Idiot they had written some 60 songs, which eventually got whittled down into the 18 featured on 21st Century Breakdown. There are dozens, if not hundreds of songs that Billie Joe, Mike, and Tre have written that we'll never hear. So with a plan to release 3 albums it introduced the idea that finally we might get to hear more of that stuff that would otherwise be thrown out. Of course this is exciting for most of us, but some people saw it as an egocentric move by Green Day. "Do they really think that all the music they write is so good that none of it should be edited down?" Well...yeah.

Read the full thing over on GDA
http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/3793/

"What more could I ask for in a song?"

This is what I keep thinking people need to consider when rating this trilogy. Like really, what exactly were you expecting?

Great article, Andres.

You make an important point about the compromised nature of the trilogy: that yes, Green Day could have picked a stronger, more focused album. But who's to say they'd have picked the songs you wanted from the 37? Their career is a littany of mistakenly rejected - and included! - tracks. At least here we know we got nearly everything they had, for better or worse.

As you say: they've already made perfect albums. And in a time when everyone just picks the individual tracks they want anyway, wasn't now the perfect time to take a swing at generosity and wayward mistakes? I wouldn't want it this way all the time but, then, I wouldn't want American Idiot every album either.

You experiment. You fuck up once in a while. It's how art happens.

so well written. i love the ending paragraph especially the line about how these albums will be a soundtrack to part of our lives :happy:

When I first saw this thread I was going to be all "there's already a thread for this" but....oh it's you Andres. Carry on then.

When I first saw this thread I was going to be all "there's already a thread for this" but....oh it's you Andres. Carry on then.

Damn right. Abusing my position to force you guys to read my stuff.

"What more could I ask for in a song?"

This is what I keep thinking people need to consider when rating this trilogy. Like really, what exactly were you expecting?

Definitely, I feel like there are so many conflicting expectations of these songs being Green Day songs, of them being completely new, completely "Green Day", completely the right style etc...

"and I'm glad we have over 120 minutes of new music to experience that with."

woah, that's a lot of time, haven't thought about it

Reading this, I feel so satisfied. You have written what all of us rational fans think about this Trilogy. Yes, there are people who didnt think it was a good idea and stuff but there are always some who complain about everything. So yeah, it was a great read and very satisfying for me, personally. Cos I agree to what you have said.

I've written a very long editorial about the trilogy. Everything from the music, sales, promotion, rehab, kind of everything that's been going on. Here's the first couple paragraphs

Read the full thing over on GDA

http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/3793/

Oh my god, Andres, if you extend that post it may become a book. It's so fucking well-written. I'd give you 99 likes if I could.

Damn right. Abusing my position to force you guys to read my stuff.

:lol:

couldn't have said it better myself, you're really good at writing i always love reading your blogs cause of that. Nice job :thumbsup:

Great read :) the part at the end about how the music affects us individually, regardless of sales, pretty much sums up how I've felt about the whole trilogy. Uno Dos and Tre, like the rest of Green Day's albums will stick with me for life. Maybe every person out there won't get to experience or appreciate them, but they've made me a happy fan and that's all I really care about.

I had an opportunity to listen to Uno...Dos...Tre! the way it was meant to be heard Yesterday morning. I had a two hour drive, and WOW. I passed where I was going a few times just to finish up the last few songs. I took a few notes about things I noticed, and I'm actually writing a big thing on the trilogy just because I want to. Everybody find the the time to do this. (2 hours, seven minutes and 38 seconds) - it's truly worth it. It's like the American Idiot musical. You laugh, you cry, you get drunk and lose the girl of your dreams. You hit rock bottom and go even further down, but realize that hey, it's your life and maybe things will always kind of suck. But you will survive. That's what I get from Green Day's music. There is a feeling of hope in all their songs, even the new ones. At first I thought that it was reversed - the new ones have sort of upbeat lyrics but the overtones are dark and sad. but the whole trilogy goes through stages....there's the darkness, the drinking and break ups. But Tre truly is Billie Joe's redemption. He grew up in American Idiot and found himself, only to fight demons of all sorts here on the new albums. And those demons will always have new names and faces, but you know what? We - and - he- will survive them and live to see another day. Thank you Green Day. Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Archived