Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

My thoughts on the trilogy

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,797 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,180 rep

POPULAR

I've written a very long editorial about the trilogy. Everything from the music, sales, promotion, rehab, kind of everything that's been going on. Here's the first couple paragraphs

Now that the trilogy is out I thought I might reflect a little on this whole project. We learned of this whole thing back in April with a tweet from Billie Joeannouncing they'd be releasing 3 albums over several months toward the end of 2012 and into early 2013. Most fans were elated, the idea that we would get so much new music from our favorite band is pretty damn exciting. There were naysayers, but I'm pretty sure that with every Green Day album since Dookie there have been people bitching about it. 

I think many of us did feel this undercurrent of worry, however small, that this might be a mistake. The idea of any band releasing 37 songs across three albums separated by only a few weeks and the attention span of our internet-fried "give-me-everything-now" culture, lends itself to worry. It's different, most musicians don't do it, it could fail, and none of us want to see anything fail that Green Day does. At the same time, it was bold, different, and interesting. 

We've always known Green Day writes a tremendous amount of music between albums. After American Idiot they had written some 60 songs, which eventually got whittled down into the 18 featured on 21st Century Breakdown. There are dozens, if not hundreds of songs that Billie Joe, Mike, and Tre have written that we'll never hear. So with a plan to release 3 albums it introduced the idea that finally we might get to hear more of that stuff that would otherwise be thrown out. Of course this is exciting for most of us, but some people saw it as an egocentric move by Green Day. "Do they really think that all the music they write is so good that none of it should be edited down?" Well...yeah.

Read the full thing over on GDA
http://www.greendaya....com/news/3793/

• Femme Gauche, justcause, PaulS and 14 others like this

StiffLittleFinger

StiffLittleFinger
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 272 rep

I like it ! Nice work!

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep

good read.

1039Mike

1039Mike
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Joined Jun 25, 2010
  • 89 rep
Awesome article!

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,861 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,787 rep
Excellent piece

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,588 rep

"What more could I ask for in a song?"

This is what I keep thinking people need to consider when rating this trilogy.  Like really, what exactly were you expecting?

• Femme Gauche and Cob like this

PaulS

PaulS
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2006
  • 1,046 rep

Great article, Andres.

You make an important point about the compromised nature of the trilogy: that yes, Green Day could have picked a stronger, more focused album. But who's to say they'd have picked the songs you wanted from the 37? Their career is a littany of mistakenly rejected - and included! - tracks. At least here we know we got nearly everything they had, for better or worse.

As you say: they've already made perfect albums. And in a time when everyone just picks the individual tracks they want anyway, wasn't now the perfect time to take a swing at generosity and wayward mistakes? I wouldn't want it this way all the time but, then, I wouldn't want American Idiot every album either.

You experiment. You fuck up once in a while. It's how art happens.

• Fuzz, Femme Gauche and pieterv like this

kellista

kellista
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Joined Apr 16, 2011
  • 320 rep

This is a great editorial! I wouldn't mind reading more of these!

greenday18299

greenday18299
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 0 rep

c mon cinco :bunny:  

ChelseaDagger

ChelseaDagger
  • boulevard of sweet ass creams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • Joined Jul 13, 2009
  • 2,214 rep

so well written. i love the ending paragraph especially the line about how these albums will be a soundtrack to part of our lives  :happy:

Neon Light

Neon Light
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Joined Jan 22, 2010
  • 442 rep
When I first saw this thread I was going to be all "there's already a thread for this" but....oh it's you Andres. Carry on then.
  • Fuzz and Makeout One like this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,797 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,180 rep

When I first saw this thread I was going to be all "there's already a thread for this" but....oh it's you Andres. Carry on then.

Damn right. Abusing my position to force you guys to read my stuff.

• Femme Gauche, Neon Light, kellista and 1 other like this

Femme Gauche

Femme Gauche
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,382 posts
  • Joined Apr 27, 2005
  • 900 rep

"What more could I ask for in a song?"

This is what I keep thinking people need to consider when rating this trilogy.  Like really, what exactly were you expecting?

Definitely, I feel like there are so many conflicting expectations of these songs being Green Day songs, of them being completely new, completely "Green Day", completely the right style etc... 

íSTAR!

íSTAR!
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined Jun 07, 2012
  • 16 rep
Awesome! And nice festive ava, Andres.
  • Fuzz likes this

Homero

Homero
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2010
  • 252 rep

"and I'm glad we have over 120 minutes of new music to experience that with."

woah, that's a lot of time, haven't thought about it

• Fuzz likes this

Advertising

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,121 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,502 rep

Reading this, I feel so satisfied. You have written what all of us rational fans think about this Trilogy. Yes, there are people who didnt think it was a good idea and stuff but there are always some who complain about everything. So yeah, it was a great read and very satisfying for me, personally. Cos I agree to what you have said.

• Fuzz likes this

Makeout One

Makeout One
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Joined Feb 11, 2012
  • 629 rep
  • Location:Somewere on the lower east side of my mind. (Italy)

I've written a very long editorial about the trilogy. Everything from the music, sales, promotion, rehab, kind of everything that's been going on. Here's the first couple paragraphs

Read the full thing over on GDA
http://www.greendaya....com/news/3793/

Oh my god, Andres, if you extend that post it may become a book. It's so fucking well-written. I'd give you 99 likes if I could.

Damn right. Abusing my position to force you guys to read my stuff.

:lol:

BazingaofSuburbia

BazingaofSuburbia
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 400 rep

couldn't have said it better myself, you're really good at writing i always love reading your blogs cause of that. Nice job  :thumbsup:

LetterBomb92

LetterBomb92
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,976 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2009
  • 2,239 rep

Great read :) the part at the end about how the music affects us individually, regardless of sales, pretty much sums up how I've felt about the whole trilogy. Uno Dos and Tre, like the rest of Green Day's albums will stick with me for life. Maybe every person out there won't get to experience or appreciate them, but they've made me a happy fan and that's all I really care about.

thatdude03

thatdude03
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Joined Apr 21, 2008
  • 198 rep

I had an opportunity to listen to Uno...Dos...Tre! the way it was meant to be heard Yesterday morning.  I had a two hour drive, and WOW.  I passed where I was going a few times just to finish up the last few songs.  I took a few notes about things I noticed, and I'm actually writing a big thing on the trilogy just because I want to.  Everybody find the the time to do this.  (2 hours, seven minutes and 38 seconds) - it's truly worth it.  It's like the American Idiot musical.  You laugh, you cry, you get drunk  and lose the girl of your dreams.  You hit rock bottom and go even further down, but realize that hey, it's your life and maybe things will always kind of suck.   But you will survive.  That's what I get from Green Day's music.  There is a feeling of hope in all their songs, even the new ones.  At first I thought that it was reversed - the new ones have sort of upbeat lyrics but the overtones are dark and sad.  but the whole trilogy goes through stages....there's the darkness, the drinking and break ups.  But Tre truly is Billie Joe's redemption.  He grew up in American Idiot and found himself, only to fight demons of all sorts here on the new albums.  And those demons will always have new names and faces, but you know what?   We - and - he- will survive them and live to see another day.     Thank you Green Day.   Thank you thank you thank you thank you.      

• justcause and BazingaofSuburbia like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users