Vocal reverb keeps me from liking 21st CBD

TrantaLocked

That is what I think as well (and I have no idea if that is right), ie I think it is Butch Vig's production. Any rock band or producer that wants to layer lot of instruments and multitrack vocals should give Brian Wilson a ring and ask him to be a consultant. He not only took Phil Spector's techniques to a whole new level but he was aware of the pitfalls.

Vig is a great producer but his style doesn't always match up with some artists Butch is a very techy producer who records differently than say Rob does Butch wasnt exactly a good match for GD

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never get why people say they don't like 21CB because it's overproduced or the vocals sound weird or whatever. Yes, I get it's an opinion, but personally I never had a problem with the sound until I read on GDC what others thought of the record. I like reading different opinions though. Let me end this by saying I love 21st Century Breakdown. Great music, great vocals. :D

inb4 mod closes.

If you don't like the thread it doesn't mean we'll close it based on your opinion.

What have I told you about being a dick?

While Matty Ice is accurate in his description of the effect as delay, not reverb, I've gotta say that I'm not a fan of it. In limited doses, sure, but too much of it makes a record feel artificial and over-produced. 21CB definitely suffered from that, and it's part of (though not all of) the reason that I've come to detest the record.

What's the big deal on inb4s? I added my input on the topic. I like the vocals a lot. But that's all you can really do in this thread. I like the vocals or I don't like the vocals and why. Once everyone has made their input, the thread will fall back and eventually be archived :) . Inb4 is just a meme thingy. At least I don't post rick rolls in the video downloads! :P

In my opinion BJA could sing through a modified hairdryer with bleeding pigs screaming in the background and it would still sound awesome. The man has got a throat that is out of this world. I do however have some minor problems with the falsetto thing he started doing lately, but I can live with that. :)

I really love the sound of 21st CB. I can't see the problem with the vocals, I think the vocal work in this album us really great :)

i dont like his voice since 21st century breakdown that much. i guess its a mix of the production plus the way he sings i dislike. same counts for the trilogy.

he sounded best on 1,039/smoothed out slappy hours and warning in my opinion (they are very different i know, i just liked both ways. very natural.). voices change, i know, i'm just saying that i liked it better before.

and american idiot was shit producing of the vocals, too. the way he sings is fine, but it seems like all the effects and pitch correction took a lot of soul out of his voice. listen to vocals only tracks on youtube you will see what i mmean. its just straight, without edges. its just soulless to me.

I'm just personally a fan of the over-production.

I love hearing my favorite band on some glorified level, 21st Century Breakdown is a GREAT album. The experimentation, the overall sound, lyrics. It's a great body of work.

Imo 21st century breakdown is showing billie joe peak as a singer, really full tone in the voice ( listen to the "like a rolling stone" cover, vocals are awesome)

The production overall on that album though is bringing it down, just sounds so "computerized". What if Last Of The American Girls had the warning production and mixing. It would sound alot better and more soulfull.

I hate the overproduced sound of their last albums. I think the reverb killed all the energy in Billie's vocals. I wouldn't be a big of 21CBD anyway, but these effects are just annoying. He sounds a lot better live (and on older albums, where we could hear Mike, too).

Actually the effetct/reverb/delay whatever it's called on billie's voice on 21cb made me hate that album...
But now I like it but if the vocals where clean like in American Idiot I would love it more.

Archived