A POSITIVE review from SPUTNIK MUSIC.

WrongWayToSalvation

I hope whoever wrote that first review is strong enough to outrun the angry mob that will no doubt chase him off the site. And the face of the Earth too probably, damn sputnikmusic.

Wow. Sputnik haven't been this nice to Green Day since Warning. And Slant DO have a good point about the the trilogy - the boys could have made one AWESOME album using about 12 -14 of these 37 songs. Still, I think Tre's worth the 3.5 Sputnik gave them.

The Sputnik review is pretty much exactly what I would have wrote too.

"!UNO! was pleasant but unremarkable, and !DOS! saw some of Billie Joe Armstrong's most forgettable songwriting on display. Luckily, !TRE! is a return to something resembling the Green Day we know and love. It's not likely to make anyone's all-time top three albums, or even the top three of this band, but it's finally something to enjoy as a Green Day fan...

Though, The best part of !TRE! is its continuity and structure. There's no bizarre reggae/ska, fewer nonsensical lyrics about teenage sex romps, and most importantly, no 'Nightlife'...

Had the trio offered up the third effort by itself and come up with a better name for it, most fans would have probably been satisfied, such is the step up from the frankly unnecessary !DOS!. Past that, however, !TRE! is a success worthy of the band's proven talent. One really has to wonder whether the second and third installments of this trilogy were written by the same man."

All of this is true, this may be one of the most rational reviews ever written.

I can't believe the hate DOS is getting......these people don't know Green Day....for sure!!!

I can't believe the hate DOS is getting......these people don't know Green Day....for sure!!!

Ugh I know! Are you all 12 year old girls!? :lol:

Billie starts to do a bit of a yell, actually rips some killer solos and finally allows some badass feedback/noise into their songs and everyone starts saying it sucks. I'm sorry but Dos is hands down the best of the trilogy dammit!

I'm a fan of green day's failed attempt!!! ...yes even nightlife!!! .....it was a genuine experiment and I liked it.

Ugh I know! Are you all 12 year old girls!? :lol:

Billie starts to do a bit of a yell, actually rips some killer solos and finally allows some badass feedback/noise into their songs and everyone starts saying it sucks. I'm sorry but Dos is hands down the best of the trilogy dammit!

It's all about taste. Dos is my favorite too, but there's nothing wrong with them favoring Tre

It's all about taste. Dos is my favorite too, but there's nothing wrong with them favoring Tre

Yeah true, I wasn't being 100% serious, I just never see Dos get any love!

I'm a fan of green day's failed attempt!!! ...yes even nightlife!!! .....it was a genuine experiment and I liked it.

Thats why I believe this trilogy was mainly for hardcore fans, I love every song and album except Drama Queen :)

I agree with this so much. If i'm honest, the basic and simple songs from the trilogy are the ones I could live without. It's fun watching (listening?) to Green Day try new things.

Actually, I hate Dos because I listened to it, I'd never hate on an album I didn't even hear.

Actually, I hate Dos because I listened to it, I'd never hate on an album I didn't even hear.

I'm curious now...what about the record did you not enjoy?

Hey guys, I'm a regular at Sputnikmusic (user name is TrantaLocked, I have been posting on the new Green Day albums there) and have some info to share about Sputnikmusic.

The first important thing to understand is that the users at Sputnikmusic are very diverse. It is a haven for immature trolls that create fake accounts, a common ground for those with $2000 stereo systems that take pride in their "wisdom," and also a place for just normal people looking for new music.

The rating chart for Uno! began with two maximums, one at 3/5 and one at 1/5. This rarely, if ever, happens (most albums either have the "mountain" or "cliff" look to their rating chart), but as most of you stated, the website has a huge population of Green Day haters.

But touching back to the types of users, many of the users at Sputnikmusic have listened to thousands of albums from all types of genres. The staff and highly approved member reviewers have a lot of "experience" with music, but because it is the internet, these users are still often immature. Imagine a 15 year old with hundreds if not thousands of albums under his or her belt. But, there is of course a big group of older guys that kind of reign over everything, and luckily they have some self-decency. In the end, the genre Green Day comes from isn't particularly popular around sputnik, and a lot of the time you get the wiser guys who listen to death metal, hardcore, "good" hip-hop, etc. coming in and rating 1/5 pretty much without thought (though not all do this of course).

The good thing about the website is that you see a LOT of deep analysis and criticism. Some of the reviews really have made me a better listener. You become less of a fanboy and more of a thinker, but if you go to far the in opposite direction, you can become a hater.

So, here is what I think about the trilogy. I love Tre, and within a few listens I knew it was my favorite out of the three releases. I am also a Dos defender like most of you, and I think Dos was subject to some poor bias from many users. Still, I can still enjoy the album no matter the review or user scores. I also really enjoy Uno, but for me Uno and Dos are on about the same level.

Look at the user ratings of the site. An equal majority of 17 people each gave it 1/5 and 5/5. Somebody needs some integrity.

Lame lyrics. Too gimmicky (Fuck Time and Makeout Party seemed to only exist on the album to soldify it as a "party" album). Most of the tracks could have fit on iUno!, so it wasn't very "Garage Rock". A few of the tracks sounded like the band was trying too hard to be raw, trying to sound raw on a big budget. Artificial. This is my personal opinion btw. iDos! did have a few songs I enjoyed.

Yeah true, I wasn't being 100% serious, I just never see Dos get any love!

WHAT?! Sure it does! Dos is my favourite of the trilogy. After a short Tré-break it´s Dos again. :dance:

First of all, I'm a big fan of Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones, Wild One, Stray Heart, and Amy. I also respect See You Tonight, Ashley, Lady Cobra, and Wow! That's Loud! That leaves Fuck Time, Makeout Party, Baby Eyes, and Nightlife. Just for reference I rated Uno 4/10, Dos 6/10, and Tre 9/10. When I look to review an album, I do so critically. If the band wants to claim they're taking a break and putting out songs just for fun or for their fans, I'm fine with that, but I'll still judge the album next to others in and outside of their catalog. So the question becomes, how do these last four songs I've mentioned stack up, even against Green Day's own discography. Well for that I have to look at the natural progression. Even on Warning the Fuck Time lyrics would have felt too juvenile and out of place. Blood, Sex, and Booze did a much better job of conveying a sleazy topic believably. So that makes Fuck Time a huge regression. In addition, it's not really musically diverse, just very generic old school cock rock. Makeout Party has lyrics nearly as bad as Fuck Time. I just don't believe them. I don't believe that a group of forty year old men are in a position to write about a Makeout Party. I don't believe they've been going around spinning the bottle and playing chicken. And they don't have to be doing that personally, but the song reads like it was written by someone who discovered a Makeout Party on Wikipedia and attempted to describe what one was like. In short, I just don't buy it. Musically, it has a cool breakdown, but the main riff sounds a little bit too much like a certain Iggy Pop song, can't remember which one, but if somebody knows, I'd appreciate the answer because I swear the guitars are identical. Baby Eyes sounds like pure album filler. Also, by this point in the trilogy I've become exhausted by the cliches. In just the last song I heard about shooting stars and now I'm hearing about them again. That lyric does nothing for me. You're the cherub in the Arab Spring? Where the hell is that coming from? Babysitters keep doing dirty things and dying. You're out of control. If you see where I'm going, I need something tangible. I don't care if the song has some metaphors or asides, but if those asides make up the entire song how is that about anything Baby I was born to kill? I just can't listen to this one. Then, of course, Nightlife. Recently, I thought to myself that if Mike had rapped Nightlife as he did Modern World, I may have actually enjoyed it, but not if he'd taken the same angle as Lady Cobra. The difference I see between the Clash experimenting with rap and Green Day doing so is that the Clash didn't completely shift lyrically to fit in with the rap style. They borrowed the style, mixed their lyrics with it, and created something new. Green Day, on the other hand, seemed like they were trying to comprise every poorly thought out couple on the radio in order to get a more acceptable rap product. Regardless, I hate the lyrics. I hate them. They're the reason I can't listen to this song. I wish I could blame something else, but it's just the lyrics. The music is fine and even sort of a cool experiment, but the lyrics are atrocious which has been a problem throughout this trilogy. So that's my opinion. For the record though, I do like more the album than I dislike so don't take this the wrong way.

I'm one of those people that can listen to any song and like it as long as the music itself is good. I don't really have an issue with lyrics, and I guess I think of them as a companion to the music instead of a center piece.

Archived