Green Day's "signature" song

desecrator09

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it might me American Idiot, but it might depend of how old is the person... :P

Nah, I became a fan just before AI when my Dad was showing them to me from Warning then I looked on and listened to Dookie and that Album hit me like a train...

It's got to be Oh Love, never known a song take off like that before. A huge hit in all major markets.

Or if I'm being serious it's between Basket Case, American Idiot or Good Riddance. Possibly throw Minority in there too simply because that's the song most people I know sing when I mention Green Day to them, and other than Basket Case and AI it's one of only 4 Green Day songs I ever hear in clubs (the other being Holiday but don't know whether I'd count it as a signature song?)

If you ask any non-green day fan kid he would say 21 Guns or Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

I asked three of my non-Green Day fan friends and they said American Idiot, Good Riddance and 21 Guns.

No surprises there.

American Idiot. Easilyyyyyyyyy!

Good Riddance is a good song, but not many people know that Green Day were the ones behind it. Basket Case is such a classic, but American Idiot had firstly, mainstream success in a pop-dominated music industry after the millennium, secondly, a very powerful message which is iconic of the time, and thirdly, the guys had a god-dammed UNIFORM. Dat red tie. There are more reasons but they're the main points. The band have had many brilliant and successful songs, but American Idiot will be remembered as their signature song.

You make a good point. I started listening to Green Day a few months ago. I always knew about Good Riddance (who hasn't heard that song before? ), but I never associated it with Green Day because I knew it was far from their usual style. This is weird though, considering that Good Riddance is one of the most famous songs to come out in the past two decades. It's played at pretty much every graduation, and my principle in elementary school always used it as the back track for the end of the year slide show.

I'm not a hardcore old-fan, but it wouldn't be anything from the 21st century. It couldn't be BoBD, since they've almost completely stopped playing that live. Personally I'd say either Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise or Good Riddance. Though I'd agree that they've tried to make both AI and 21CB their signature song on tour.

Which leads to a different question - what do you guys think the band will start their set with from now on? Up until this point, it's been 21CB (and I have to say, it's an amazing opener). But what now? Will they stick with 21CB, or maybe do Nuclear Family, or something else from the trilogy? Personally I'd like 21Cb to stay as the opener, as one of my favourite GD songs.

Basket case definitely.

Haven't they been opening with Welcome To Paradise? Seems like a pretty good opener to me.

I'm not a hardcore old-fan, but it wouldn't be anything from the 21st century. It couldn't be BoBD, since they've almost completely stopped playing that live. Personally I'd say either Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise or Good Riddance. Though I'd agree that they've tried to make both AI and 21CB their signature song on tour.

Which leads to a different question - what do you guys think the band will start their set with from now on? Up until this point, it's been 21CB (and I have to say, it's an amazing opener). But what now? Will they stick with 21CB, or maybe do Nuclear Family, or something else from the trilogy? Personally I'd like 21Cb to stay as the opener, as one of my favourite GD songs.

What do you mean? They still play BoBD, except during small shows.

And they've always opened with Welcome to Paradise during this tour so far. They dropped the song 21stCB.

There are three.

American Idiot: Political Green Day

Basket Case: Stoner Green Day

Good Riddance: Melancholic Green Day

That's simplfiying it quite substantially, but I think you could kind of attach a great deal of their songs to one of these categories, ROUGHLY speaking.

Personally I always think of Longview as their signature song, because for me it epitomizes what makes Green Day's songs so great. A straight up, honest and unusual look at a subject that not a lot of bands sing about, humour in the lyrics as well as darkness contrasted with upbeat music, a pop punk sound but with room for quirkiness and experimentation with that jazz/swing style bass. Sums up all the things I love about the band.

But realistically I'd say Basket Case and American Idiot (can't choose one when they've had two different hugely successful albums 10 years apart). They've had other songs that have been very popular like Good Riddance and BOBD, but in terms of songs that are both popular and really sum up where the band was at that moment in their careers I think Basket Case and American Idiot do it. Especially with the videos, I think the wacky Basket Case video and the black shirt/red tie/American flag AI video are the iconic images of Green Day that pop into people's head when they think of them.

1.Longview
2.Basketcase
3.When I Come Around
4.Minority
5.American Idiot (1x2)
6.Boulavard of Broken Dreams
7.Holiday
8.Wake Me Up When September Ends
9.The Saints are Coming
10.Know Your Enemy
11.Oh Love
These are all their number one hits. I would also throw Good Riddance in the mix, but it didn't go to number one.

There are multiple. The biggest one is Boulevard of Broken Dreams, but American Idiot, Good Riddance, Basket Case, and 21 Guns work as well

Older fans: Basket Case or Longview, Good Riddance

Newer fans: Wake Me Up When September Ends or American Idiot

Even Newer fans: 21 Guns

I think so, too. But Instead of American Idiot, I'd say Boulevard of Broken Dreams

It has changed through the years. First Basket Case (1994-1997), then Good Riddance (1997-2004), then American Idiot (2004-2012) along with Know Your Enemy (2009-2012) and I guess the next one will be Oh Love.

If it was up to me it'd always be American Idiot. Or some other punk/rock shit like Lady Cobra from the new ones.

Basket Case or When I Come Around or Good Riddance, I honestly don't really know what's the song that defines GD for the 'outsiders', I think it depends from the age group, 'Cause for younger people it might be Boulevard of Broken Dreams or WMUWSE... AND for even younger people, it might be 21 Guns or Oh Love ( It really is unfortunate how they have no ability to choose singles) :lol:

Well, I would say Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Amerian Idiot or Basket Case. It's those songs everyone think about when you mentions Green Day. I'd like to say Longview, When I Come Around, Good Riddance and a lot of other songs too, but they're not as known, at least not by us younger people, as the others.

Archived