Green Day's "signature" song

desecrator09

in terms of lyrics that everyone knows, I'd say Good Riddance. In terms of radio play, I'd say Basket Case.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dookie Era: Basket Case

Nimrod Era: Good Riddance

AI Era: American Idiot or BoBD

21CB Era: 21 Guns

Trilogy Era: ...... Oh Love?

The fact that we can't decide on one signature song, show that they've had a pretty impressive career so far.

Basket Case, Good Riddance, American Idiot and BoBD are songs that everyone knows.

As much as I'd love to say Basket Case, when somebody thinks of Green day both American Idiot and Boulevard of broken dreams come to their minds. So it's between these 2. 21 Guns could also be considered, but I believe American Idiot was a, and quoting Tré, lets take over the world sort of thing.

It really has to be Basket Case. I can't even articulate why; it's just so undeniably Green Day.

I'd say they have more than one signature song, three actually. Those would be Basket Case, Good Riddance, and American Idiot. It all depends on the type of person you talk to (you could argue that BoBD should be included too). Out of these songs, Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) is easily the most recognizable though.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I still gotta go with Longview although Basket Case if a really good choice too.

Basket Case, Time of Your Life, American Idiot and maybe 21 Guns. I would prefer it to be Basket Case, definitely the best song of these four :P

I know I already replied here :P But I just thought about the ones I think are the "signatures" from each album:

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours: Going To Pasalacqua

Kerplunk!: Christie Road

Dookie: Basket Case (or Longview)

Insomniac: Brain Stew

Nimrod: Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

Warning: Minority

American Idiot: Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

21st Century Breakdown: 21 Guns

¡UNO!: Stay The Night

¡DOS!: Stray Heart (yes)

¡TRÉ!: -I don't know yet-

:)

I think Good Riddance would be the signature of 90s Green Day, and Boulevard of Broken Dreams for the 2000s Green Day. Although they wouldn't be my ideal choice, there are obviously plenty of other songs, but I feel like these two are/will be timeless and recognizable to anyone who doesn't know Green Day, but knows these songs.

There isn't one song. All Great bands aren't just known for "one song." Good bands can be known for that "one song" And obviously one hit wonders are known for "one song" But Green Day is far from that. Being a one hit wonder that is. But yeah if you asked someone what song would you associate them with, most would probably say either Basketcase, Good Riddance, American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends, Holiday or 21 Guns. And if you are including from this era, then Oh Love. But I think if you did do some sort of research, the top response would lean towards American Idiot.

American Idiot. Easilyyyyyyyyy!

Good Riddance is a good song, but not many people know that Green Day were the ones behind it. Basket Case is such a classic, but American Idiot had firstly, mainstream success in a pop-dominated music industry after the millennium, secondly, a very powerful message which is iconic of the time, and thirdly, the guys had a god-dammed UNIFORM. Dat red tie. There are more reasons but they're the main points. The band have had many brilliant and successful songs, but American Idiot will be remembered as their signature song.

Not so agree. Basket Case is one of the most iconic songs in the 90s. Greey Day didn't need to use a uniform to be on the mainstream at the Dookie era, with that song they caught the attention of so many people. It was a number one on Billboard for many weeks, too. They were on the mainstream before 2000, a sing along song on any concert till nowadays. It was a kind of follow up to Nirvana's Smell like teen spirit, and so many people started to be interested to listen to other punk rock bands at that time.

American Idiot is an important song in GD career, but most iconic at that time was BOBD.

Archived