So, What Happens Next?

!

Billie said he'd like to return to Rock Opera one day. When this day will come there is not way to know - that is, until it happens. I see Tre as the most accurate reflection of where the band currently sit, musically, at this point, so I don't foresee another album like Uno or Dos any time soon.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to hear songs of the ilk of American Idiot album, or Let Yourself Go. I think a problem of the trilogy has been Green Day singing about things they are way too old for. They can still do politics and fuck you songs so I'd like more of that! But next up will be the AI movie and hopefully a 2013 tour, so album in 2015

I like your idea of them celebrating the anniversaries of both AI and Dookie with a year-long tour consisting of songs from the two albums. That would be awesome.

I'd flip if it happens. There's so many awesome movies coming out in 2014. Along with that and other music, it'll be a great year in entertainment for me

People don't know how to live in the present anymore and enjoy what's currently going on around them.

Then I'm just talking about myself... :ermm:

I'm not necessarily referring to the sound. I'm talking about the topics in the songs, like concept songs if that makes any sense.

The sound is irrelevant. I didn't even mention that.

One For The Razorbacks is just a love song about trying to make a girl you like feel better. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield is about getting stoned. These are songs that you write when you're in your teens, not when you're 40. They're past those songs. They'll probably never write another song like them again. The sound is irrelevant.

can we not speculate

just like enjoy three new albums man. i've not even listened to dos and tre yet seeing as they're christmas presents and i dont want to spoil it. but wow you can't be done with three albums in less than a month or two. i'm still not over american idiot for fuck sake

One For The Razorbacks is just a love song about trying to make a girl you like feel better. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield is about getting stoned. These are songs that you write when you're in your teens, not when you're 40. They're past those songs. They'll probably never write another song like them again. The sound is irrelevant.

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield has nothing to do with getting stoned.

Billie said he'd like to return to Rock Opera one day. When this day will come there is not way to know - that is, until it happens. I see Tre as the most accurate reflection of where the band currently sit, musically, at this point, so I don't foresee another album like Uno or Dos any time soon.

Really? I never heard him mention that. It'll be interesting though.

I just realized in 2016 the guys will be 44. Holy shit. Now *that's* an age where you probably won't write any songs like Fuck Time anymore, right? :happy:

What the hell are you talking about? How is Holden Caulfield a song about getting stoned? Also, you're saying they're past writing genius songs like Who Wrote Holden Caulfield and One for the Razorbacks? Seriously? Are we talking about the same band here? The band that recently released songs like Fuck Time and Makeout Party? Don't get me wrong I enjoy those songs, but songs like Holden Caulfield are lyrically way more mature than recent songs like Fuck Time.

how i said in another thread before, i believe their next album will be an ambitious masterpiece. they are in a similiar situation as after warning. the trilogy and warning both were solid albums, but it didn't feel like they are really relevant for the music scene anymore. same now. i didn't care back then and i don't care now. but i think thats the time when green day can create their best work. they were under pressure with every album after dookie, the question was: where will green day go? they tried with a similiar album to dookie (insomniac) and they tried with a similiar album to AI (21stcbd). im not saying anything about the quality of the albums, just how relevant they were and what impact they had: they didn't reach that level. they were still in the game, but not that big.

and they tried with something completly different after one (trilogy) or two albums (warning). both are the biggest departure from their usual sound, production wise as song writing wise. folk rock with accoustic elements on warning, tons of garage rock kind of guitar solos and a cleaner sound on the trilogy. both didn't reach the masses.

green day have no pressure with the next album, similiar to AI, everbody thinks, green day is a sinking ship. and same as after warning the band has issues. but after a complete (in the public opinion failing) restart (warning and trilogy) they can create something really big now in my opinion once billie smoothed his problems out...

Billie Joe: This song is about, uh, forgetting what you're going to say because of, um, heavy drug abuse

Tré: WEEEEEEEEEEEED

Based on the lyrics alone, I wouldn't believe that the song had anything to do with drugs, but whatever. The song has a somewhat deeper meaning to me anyways.

I'm hoping they release they next album within 3 years but yeah, it is kinda early to speculate since Tre barely came out and is one of their best albums.

Based on the lyrics alone, I wouldn't believe that the song had anything to do with drugs, but whatever. The song has a somewhat deeper meaning to me anyways.

That's the great thing about music, it can mean whatever you want it to mean.

But yeah, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is totally about weed.

What the hell are you talking about? How is Holden Caulfield a song about getting stoned? Also, you're saying they're past writing genius songs like Who Wrote Holden Caulfield and One for the Razorbacks? Seriously? Are we talking about the same band here? The band that recently released songs like Fuck Time and Makeout Party? Don't get me wrong I enjoy those songs, but songs like Holden Caulfield are lyrically way more mature than recent songs like Fuck Time.

I'm not denying the lyric's are better, I'm just saying they ain't gonna write them. And see my post above with regards to WWHC.

(I can't quote for some reason, but) That thing about Kerplunk being better for lyrics than the trilogy, you know fine well that's bullshit. You compared the two best examples of lyrics on that album with the two worst examples on Dos. I could pick almost any other song from the trilogy which would beat OFTR or WWHC hands down.

how i said in another thread before, i believe their next album will be an ambitious masterpiece. they are in a similiar situation as after warning. the trilogy and warning both were solid albums, but it didn't feel like they are really relevant for the music scene anymore. same now. i didn't care back then and i don't care now. but i think thats the time when green day can create their best work. they were under pressure with every album after dookie, the question was: where will green day go? they tried with a similiar album to dookie (insomniac) and they tried with a similiar album to AI (21stcbd). im not saying anything about the quality of the albums, just how relevant they were and what impact they had: they didn't reach that level. they were still in the game, but not that big.

and they tried with something completly different after one (trilogy) or two albums (warning). both are the biggest departure from their usual sound, production wise as song writing wise. folk rock with accoustic elements on warning, tons of garage rock kind of guitar solos and a cleaner sound on the trilogy. both didn't reach the masses.

green day have no pressure with the next album, similiar to AI, everbody thinks, green day is a sinking ship. and same as after warning the band has issues. but after a complete (in the public opinion failing) restart (warning and trilogy) they can create something really big now in my opinion once billie smoothed his problems out...

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Billie Joe said something along the lines of "Writing albums like American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are exhausting. We just want to take a break and have fun with these 3 albums." -- I think that means what we'll see next is another big one. Another concept, another album organized into acts. Another album with relevant lyrics to today's situation. Something much more in-depth.

I hope that would happen. Although they released two widely considered classic albums, it seems as if people don't give them the respect they deserve. Releasing another widely considered classic album one in each decade would be awesome.

I hope they go into a direction no one would expect, otherwise they'll REALLY start recycling their own melodies and riffs. After doing 3 albums, it could really affect them in a negative way to do just another standard Green Day album.

Guest DisapppearingBoy

nothing happens. It stays the same. :lol: GD'll be inducted into rock n roll hall of fame. Then probably they'll release last record of their carrer n it's over.

i get the feeling green day has already had their highlight and now they're just making music because they love to. they made a brilliant statement with american idiot which influenced the music scene immensely. same with dookie previously. but now i don't think they'll achieve something like that again. not that they'll never make great music again. but more like music that is just fun to rock out to. i know green day likes to rock the boat a bit but they're a bit out of date now i think. i could be mistaken and in a few years they'll come out with something yet again amazing. but the general reaction to "green day" is "them old buggers?" so my hopes aren't too high for something groundbreaking.

I hope they go into a direction no one would expect, otherwise they'll REALLY start recycling their own melodies and riffs. After doing 3 albums, it could really affect them in a negative way to do just another standard Green Day album.

So more experimenting, kinda like Warning, or just something totally different?

This is not really GD releated (i mean new music) but i hope that the AI movie will be realeased next year. :) And I hope there'll be a new soundtrack like the Musical Album... That would be nice.

i get the feeling green day has already had their highlight and now they're just making music because they love to. they made a brilliant statement with american idiot which influenced the music scene immensely. same with dookie previously. but now i don't think they'll achieve something like that again. not that they'll never make great music again. but more like music that is just fun to rock out to. i know green day likes to rock the boat a bit but they're a bit out of date now i think. i could be mistaken and in a few years they'll come out with something yet again amazing. but the general reaction to "green day" is "them old buggers?" so my hopes aren't too high for something groundbreaking.

Well Aerosmith has had a hit album in the 70's, 80's and the 90's so being old doesn't mean they still won't be able to produce something big. It won't be as big as Dookie or AI but something huge can still come from these guys.

Does anyone else find it a bit scary thinking of what comes next? It's so hard to imagine them making a follow up to the trilogy right now. I have to admit that when this was all announced part of me wondered was this Green Day's way of saying goodbye? You know, sort of an epic finale to their career. Billie's stint in rehab kinda reinforced that, but then I remembered Billie's little speeches at the end of concerts on the last tour. He said the only way out of the band for him is in a coffin, and I believed him. Naturely this rehab business means he will have to reassess where he is in life and probably change his priorities, so God knows whether he feels the same way about Green Day now. As much as I want to continue to have Green Day as a huge part of my life, I have to accept and respect the fact that other things are more important to him than keeping his fans satisfied. This whole rehab business could change so much, but it could also produce incredible material that could become the next Green Day album. We could be heading towards an album of the same magnitude of American Idiot, or even greater! I so hope that is the case. Green Day have been such an important part of my life, no matter where we go from here, I'll always respect and love them.

Archived