So, What Happens Next?

!

For right now, all I'm thinking about is the tour. It kinda frightens me to think of Green Day's plans beyond that at the moment.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New album in 2015 with some good ol' catchy pop-punk songs and throw in a few songs about war/media/government and a few angry/sad about billie joe's rehab and some other cool shit.

Im hopeing for something to come out around graduation time in 2016, with awesome party lyrics like in Dos, combined with a few "Time of Your Life"-like songs. Also wouldn't mind some songs like "Rusty James". That would be an epic way to graduate high school. =)

Next album has to be 2014 with the continuation of their "10 year mainstream success" (dookie in 94 and ai in 04)

Well, they took a three and a half year break from Warning to AI and about the same time from AI to 21CB so they take breaks every here and there, although I do understand what he meant in the Quatro highlight.

Lol. After Warning they worked on new songs for International Superhits! and Shenanigans. Then they wrote and recorded 20 songs for Cigarettes and Valentines, then they did American Idiot. They also had a tour after Warning.

After American Idiot they did their biggest tour yet and in the rest of the time until starting to work on 21CB, they've made 2 albums for their side bands - Foxboro Hot Tubs and The Network.

My point is, just because 4 or 5 years separate between 2 Green Day albums, doesn't mean there's a break between those two. What's happening now is a break though, and I hope they make some noise once it's over :P

Lol. After Warning they worked on new songs for International Superhits! and Shenanigans. Then they wrote and recorded 20 songs for Cigarettes and Valentines, then they did American Idiot. They also had a tour after Warning.

After American Idiot they did their biggest tour yet and in the rest of the time until starting to work on 21CB, they've made 2 albums for their side bands - Foxboro Hot Tubs and The Network.

My point is, just because 4 or 5 years separate between 2 Green Day albums, doesn't mean there's a break between those two. What's happening now is a break though, and I hope they make some noise once it's over :P

The only new thing on Shenanigans I think was Haha You're Dead, the rest were previously recorded b-sides. And International Superhits had 2 new songs they might've spent a week or 2 on. You still made your point, they don't take breaks (except for after Nimrod when they were questioning everything)

Now I can actually say theres green day songs I dont really like, I wish they put out one album with the best song from each album from the trilogy, but oh well thats in the past, now they need to progress, I feel like the trilogy was kinda uninspired and the fun vibe of it was to forced and I really dont like the production and mixing of it, to many effects, So next album should be drenched in meaning and be mixed better! I Still Love Green Day!

I really hope they still make music, and trilogy not their last album...

Green Day still Green Day, until they 50-55 years old...

cause i'm just 17, and still need GD to fill my life...

Money Money 2020 came out in 2003, not 2007/2008. :P

Money Money 2020 came out in 2003, not 2007/2008. :P

Holy shit your ava :lol:

WHERE'S MY CREDIT?! :angry Just kidding ;)

I think Green Day will spend the majority of 2013/14 touring when Billie's back up and running again and then focus on the 'American Idiot' movie if Billie does play St. Jimmy. I don't think their next album or any future album will be another rock opera. I think their next album will come out in maybe late 2014/15. After all, years ending in '4' have been good for Green Day so far, haven't they? [:D]

In terms of what will be on the album, I hope it's an album of 13-19 songs which are about a variety of topics.

Also, I hope Green Day aren't one of those bands who keep making albums just for the sake of making albums, no matter how bad the content is (Hello, 'The Clash'?). I think Green Day have one or two more albums after this!

It would be cool if Green Day did a song in the style of each album previous, '39/smooth' - '¡Tre!'! Would please everyone haha.

I think they'd to lessen the space between the albums since they are aging.

I think they'd to lessen the space between the albums since they are aging.

Aging? You gotta be shitting me, bro.

Aging? You gotta be shitting me, bro.

let's face it, they're in their 40's. I think they wanna spend more time with their families when they reach their 60's or something :)

I'd really like to see them make a cover album, something like Metallica's "Garage Inc.".

I don't think it's very likely, but it would be cool to hear them play the songs that inspired them.

Tre will become a country music star after release his first solo single "Dominated Love Slave part II" a duet with Taylor Swift. The videoclip will be a S&M sextape between them

I call post of the week!

This is just the beginning of the Uno Dos Tre era! I don't even have Tre yet :lol:. "Next" is enjoying the albums (and with 3 of them they're going to keep me going a LONG time), the tour, and seeing what else Green Day gets up to in this era. I have no wish to try and imagine beyond that, it's impossible anyway.

Really interesting topic! I’ve actually been thinking about this the last couple of days, and this is what I’m hoping for. Yes, I’m kind of shooting for the stars here, but it’s my fantasy and I can dream up what I want, haha! :P

* Warning: I talk a lot*

The first thing that I expect to happen is, as soon as Billie is healthy again and ready to get back out there, Green Day will resume the promo that they had started before Uno. They’ll be on Jay Leno, Ellen, SNL, etc. They’ll also go on tour, maybe doing Europe before coming back for those postponed North American dates. Then maybe they’ll do South America, Asia, Australia, etc., finishing out 2013. In the midst of all this touring and interspersed promotional appearances, this is where I want the general public to realize how great these trilogy songs are. I’m hoping that Green Day releases some perfect single (I’m not sure which song yet), and it shall become some huge epic single that everyone loves. Suddenly people will boast about their love of Green Day, their single will be played on every radio station, and their album sales – for all three albums – will skyrocket. Their follow-up singles will see similar popularity and critical acclaim. Thus, 2013 will end with Green Day having the biggest single of the year, and multiple Grammy nominations. They should probably win Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and other big awards. :D Oh, we might as well put in some epic VMA awesomeness too – win 7 more awards (like in 2005) and put on a great performance.

Moving on, the trilogy album cycle will die down by early 2014. They’ll have to get ready for Dookie’s 20th anniversary and American Idiot’s 10th anniversary. It’d be cool if at the 2014 Grammys (where they win all those awards I mentioned) if they did some kind of special Dookie thing, since those are right around the same time that the album came out. I don’t know. But Dookie should be re-released with a bunch of bonus stuff – outtakes, probably that pre-Dookie days documentary, maybe some other special stuff. That’d be cool. And then, later on in the year, it will be time for American Idiot’s birthday celebration: We’ll need the American Idiot movie (starring Mr. Billie Joe Armstrong as St. Jimmy, of course), the Heart Like A Hand Grenade documentary we’ve been expecting for the last 8 years, and that AI musical documentary they mentioned a few months ago (again featuring St. Billie). Maybe re-release the album with some outtakes and whatnot, along with these DVDs. That’d be awesome!! (Maybe the AI movie should hit theaters earlier so it can be on DVD in time? Or maybe it can be in theaters in late summer, and then be on DVD in time for Christmas? I don’t know.)

Other things to consider: A live album from the trilogy; possibly another greatest hits CD (since it’s already been 11 years and 5 [+2] studio albums since the last one); hopefully another Shenanigans with all the glorious outtakes from the last decade – I want to hear this “Wonderful” song, and “Oh Girl,” and any other beautiful tracks they’ve kept from us. It’d also be cool to get an acoustic album! And that elusive Cigarettes & Valentines record….. I haven’t decided where to fit these goodies in yet though.

And finally: Green Day’s Next Album.

I would really love it if their next album pushed those ambitious and experimental boundaries even further. They’ve shown that they can pull of different styles really well. I love songs like Misery, ¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl), Kill The DJ, Brutal Love, Wow! That’s Loud, Restless Heart Syndrome, Jesus Of Suburbia, and many of their other songs – they seem so unexpected compared to, say, Basket Case or something. I mean, I still love their straightforward pop punk songs. But I’d be thrilled to hear them fully branch out and do something really different for them. I’d love something on the scale of American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown, yet not as a character-driven rock opera. It’d be great to get an album on that level of ambition and grandiosity, but at the same time intensely confessional and relatable. Given Billie’s currently overcoming addiction, I wouldn’t be surprised if their next album had a lot of darker, more serious songs that really dive into that. Lyrically, their next album could be a profound masterpiece.

Musically, I would love to hear some more piano and string driven tracks, and horns like on Brutal Love! They’re really good at those softer ballads. And Billie should definitely keep using more of his range – from the low bassy notes to his high falsetto register. I love it all. I liked his vocal performance on Brutal Love, so it’d be great if he uses his voice like a true instrument like that on their future albums.

I don’t think their next album will be out until 2015. Though 2014 would be cool, given the trend they have. But yeah, this might take some time, especially if they really do all that stuff I dreamed up that fills up the next two years. After that, I don’t know. They’ll keep putting out great albums for a while. They’ll be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That’s all I know. (As in speculate.) Fun times ahead of us!

They may make a new live album since this is a trend with bands making new albums... I would most likely welcome it if comes. I think a new hits compliation album would be amazing even though they'll end up as repeats on my I-pod :happy: ...really can't say what's in store for Green Day... they just keep surprising us everytime!!! My hope is that they continue to make music .... I want to be 80 years old still jumping in a pit for Green Day.

This is not really GD releated (i mean new music) but i hope that the AI movie will be realeased next year. :) And I hope there'll be a new soundtrack like the Musical Album... That would be nice.

Not a hope in hell it will be out next year. There is not even talk about if its actually gonna go into production or not. It might never appear. And this thread = more pointless specuation unless you guys can predict the future or something

I think Green Day will spend the majority of 2013/14 touring when Billie's back up and running again and then focus on the 'American Idiot' movie if Billie does play St. Jimmy. I don't think their next album or any future album will be another rock opera. I think their next album will come out in maybe late 2014/15. After all, years ending in '4' have been good for Green Day so far, haven't they? [:D]

In terms of what will be on the album, I hope it's an album of 13-19 songs which are about a variety of topics.

Also, I hope Green Day aren't one of those bands who keep making albums just for the sake of making albums, no matter how bad the content is (Hello, 'The Clash'?). I think Green Day have one or two more albums after this!

It would be cool if Green Day did a song in the style of each album previous, '39/smooth' - '¡Tre!'! Would please everyone haha.

Only one or two more?

They may make a new live album since this is a trend with bands making new albums... I would most likely welcome it if comes. I think a new hits compliation album would be amazing even though they'll end up as repeats on my I-pod :happy: ...really can't say what's in store for Green Day... they just keep surprising us everytime!!! My hope is that they continue to make music .... I want to be 80 years old still jumping in a pit for Green Day.

Haha don't hurt you hip from all that jumping :P

Well I'm looking forward to seeing them on Ellen. And wouldn't be neat if to celebrate the anniversary of American Idiot they recreated their American Idiot show? Same setlist, same stage set up, same clothes hair makeup etc, all that.

Archived