So, What Happens Next?

!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear ya. You'd be surprised how many non Green Day fans have an account on here though. Why? I haven't the slightest clue at all. But they seem to troll around a bit to upset the fans.

The stupidity of some people is infinite.

And I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the trolls.

Here's how I think the next few years will play out.

August 2014: The ¡UNO!, ¡DOS!, ¡TRÉ! world tour ends

September 21, 2014: American Idiot: The Movie (Starring Billie Joe Armstrong as St. Jimmy) (For the first 2 weeks only, the long-awaited Heart Like a Handgrenade documentary will be screened immediately following the American Idiot film)

October 2014: ¡CINCO! Live Album/DVD

1. Welcome To Paradise

2. Basket Case

3. Brain Stew

4. Jaded

5. Nuclear Family

6. Stay the Night

7. Carpe Díem

8. Oh Love

9. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

10. Fuck Time

11. Stray Heart

12. Wow! That's Loud

13. Minority

14. Warning

15. Blood, Sex, and Booze

16. American Idiot

17. Holiday

18. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

19. Wake Me Up When September Ends

21. Know Your Enemy

22. 21 Guns

23. Brutal Love

24. The Forgotten

25. Dirty Rotten Bastards

November 2014: ¡SEIS! Pre-Dookie Days DVD

December 2014: The Ultimate International Superhits Box Set

International Superhits Volume 1 (Originally Released in 2001)

1. Maria

2. Poprocks & Coke

3. Longview

4. Welcome to Paradise

5. Basket Case

6. When I Come Around

7. She

8. J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva)

9. Geek Stink Breath

10. Brain Stew

11. Jaded

12. Walking Contradiction

13. Stuck With Me

14. Hitchin' a Ride

15. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

16. Redundant

17. Nice Guys Finish Last

18. Minority

19. Warning

20. Waiting

21. Macy's Day Parade

International Superhits Volume 2

1. Cigarettes and Valentines (Previously Unreleased Studio Version)

2. I Fought the Law

3. American Idiot

4. Jesus of Suburbia

5. Holiday

6. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

7. Wake Me Up When September Ends

8. Shoplifter

9. Governator

10. Too Much Too Soon

11. Favorite Son

12. Working Class Hero

13. The Saints are Coming (Featuring U2)

14. The Simpsons Theme

15. 21st Century Breakdown

16. Know Your Enemy

17. East Jesus Nowhere

18. 21 Guns

19. Hearts Collide

20. Lights Out

21. A Quick One While He's Away

22. Like a Rolling Stone

23. When it's Time

24. Bonus Track: 21 Guns (Featuring American Idiot Cast)

International Superhits Volume 3

1. Dreamcatcher (New Song)

2. Olivia (New Song)

3. Nuclear Family

4. Stay the Night

5. Let Yourself Go

6. Kill the DJ

7. Troublemaker

8. Oh Love

9. Fuck Time

10. Lazy Bones

11. Wild One

12. Stray Heart

13. Lady Cobra

14. Nightlife

15. Wow! That's Loud

16. Amy

17. Brutal Love

18. Drama Queen

19. X-Kid

20. Amanda

21. Walk Away

22. Dirty Rotten Bastards

23. 99 Revolutions

24. The Forgotten

Green Day takes a break in 2015

November 2015: Green Day starts recording the new album

May 2016: The new album is released (Since Billie Joe has been in rehab, how much of an influence do you think it would have on this record? Should we expect to see a dark punk rock album? Rock Opera?)

June 2016: World Tour

Dude chill out, you typed just as angrily as he did!

Anyways, pulling up the Beatles is not the best example of a band that has experimented a lot. A lot of what the Beatles put out was filler and garbage. Sure, putting out every song you could ever write yielded them SEVERAL incredible tracks, but they are lost among the rest of the discography that I've rarely even heard longtime fans mention. Why? Because even big fans can admit, a lot of their music was just filler.

Also, Green Day has done a lot of those genres in experimentation. Have you even listened to anything from Dookie to American Idiot? Those are arguably the most experimental albums in the core discography. Pull in Shenanigans as well even, and you've got ALL of those genres. This is a group that has done most styles at this point, even a bit of hip hop/ rap now, so don't even TRY and say that they haven't experimented as much as the Beatles did. Let's not over hype that group anymore than they are, mkay?

One a closing note, try and be a bit more respectful. It's just as hard to read an over the top angry post as it is to read one in all caps. Both scream "childish mentality at play here". It's really distracting.

I hear ya. You'd be surprised how many non Green Day fans have an account on here though. Why? I haven't the slightest clue at all. But they seem to troll around a bit to upset the fans.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I seriously suggest you actually listen to The Beatles. They are maybe THE best example of a band who has experimented a lot, due to their level of importance in musical history, and due to the fact that the enormous success they had at the start of their career afforded them the luxury of being able to become a studio only band, delving into several different genres, inventing some, and recording some of the best albums ever made. Their innovation in the studio has laid the foundations for basically all guitar music. The bit you say about "putting out every song you could ever write yielded them several incredible tracks, but they are lost among the rest" is funny because it perfectly sums up Green Day's trilogy. But not The Beatles, who are renowned as the best band of all time because they released more classic albums and more classic songs than any other band in history. Also I'd love you to name any of the Beatles tracks "lost among their discography" because after 50 years it's a safe bet that every "big fan" knows they exist.

Of course they had filler on their albums. So do Green Day on practically every album too, even Dookie. Sgt Peppers is mostly filler in my opinion, and yet millions of people love that album and say it's the best album ever. Revolution 9 is a waste of time, Ballad Of John & Yoko is Lennon's self-indulgent wankery. I could go on. Garbage? Of course, nothing as woeful as "The Forgotten" though.

Next, you mention Green Day from Dookie to American Idiot. Pop-punk on Dookie, pop-punk on Insomniac, pop-punk on Nimrod, pop-punk on Warning. Sure there are a few songs on Nimrod and Warning with acoustic guitars but you really need to listen to a lot more music with the Green Day fanboy glasses off if you think that is somehow equal to the level of The Beatles.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I seriously suggest you actually listen to The Beatles. They are maybe THE best example of a band who has experimented a lot, due to their level of importance in musical history, and due to the fact that the enormous success they had at the start of their career afforded them the luxury of being able to become a studio only band, delving into several different genres, inventing some, and recording some of the best albums ever made. Their innovation in the studio has laid the foundations for basically all guitar music. The bit you say about "putting out every song you could ever write yielded them several incredible tracks, but they are lost among the rest" is funny because it perfectly sums up Green Day's trilogy. But not The Beatles, who are renowned as the best band of all time because they released more classic albums and more classic songs than any other band in history. Also I'd love you to name any of the Beatles tracks "lost among their discography" because after 50 years it's a safe bet that every "big fan" knows they exist.

Of course they had filler on their albums. So do Green Day on practically every album too, even Dookie. Sgt Peppers is mostly filler in my opinion, and yet millions of people love that album and say it's the best album ever. Revolution 9 is a waste of time, Ballad Of John & Yoko is Lennon's self-indulgent wankery. I could go on. Garbage? Of course, nothing as woeful as "The Forgotten" though.

Next, you mention Green Day from Dookie to American Idiot. Pop-punk on Dookie, pop-punk on Insomniac, pop-punk on Nimrod, pop-punk on Warning. Sure there are a few songs on Nimrod and Warning with acoustic guitars but you really need to listen to a lot more music with the Green Day fanboy glasses off if you think that is somehow equal to the level of The Beatles.

Wow you seem to think you know EVERYTHING about music because you listen to The Beatles. I have given the beatles a chance, a HUGE chance on multiple occasions. Once you get past the hit tracks (the ones that basically form the Across The Universe soundtrack ) you just get filler as far as I am concerned. I'll give them another chance a year or so down the road and who knows what then! For some that rocks, for some that's total garbage. The Beatles always were and will always continue to be an extrememely over rated group. They have some great songs, then they have some awful songs. The Beatles are the epitome of overrated groups. You fall right into the category of people who think they know so much more about music because they listen to The Beatles. Good god that never gets old. and No, I can't name off any of the filler tracks because I don't waste time listening to 12 albums just so I can pick out songs I dislike to show someone up on a forum. I have a life, albeit not a very eventful one. You can't pretend they have no filler, then in the next sentence say "of course they had filler on the albums. So do Green Day on practically every album too, even Dookie". Do you think Dookie is just some fucking holy grail to Green Day fans? It's not, not for this one anyways.

Dookie happens to be one of my LEAST favorite Green Day albums. You can say that all Green Day albums have pop-punk in them, but that is the groups sound. It's how differently they do those songs and what they bring into music that shows how much they experiment. Seriously, if you have listened to their whole discography in a row how can you say there aren't huge differences between the albums?! Only someone so narrow minded and childish would sum up an album like Nimrod or Warning with "pop-punk" then try and argue they actually know anything about music.

Also, I listen to a lot of music that is not Green Day, and a lot of that is right on their level. From japanese grunge groups, orchestral scores, asian girl pop groups, rock, punk, hip hop, jazz, blues, pop punk, electronica, dance, disco, whatever MCR feels like doing this time around, grunge, nu metal, experimental, alternative, symphonies, rap, and several other genres; these are things I listen to on a DAILY BASIS. Throw my phone on shuffle and there we go. Don't believe me? Between my Zune and W8 Phone I could read off groups you've never even fucking heard of.

So please, don't try and act as if "The Beatles" are the pinnacle of music, or that they are truly the most experimental group to walk the planet, they have enough fan boys to throw money at whoever holds those rights. Go support a living and breathing group like The Pillows, a band that puts out an album a year and they have tried damn near everything across 13+ albums. More than Green Day and The Beatles put together. Yes, The Beatles did a lot for music, it's undeniable they changed a lot of things. They deserve respect. What they don't deserve is to have every group after them hated on because they "ripped off the Beatles" or "they aren't as good as the Beatles" or even "they aren't as experimental as the Beatles". It sounds like a parent trying to argue with a teenage girl. So unless you're a teenage girl, which I am fairly certain you aren't, then back the fuck off with The Beatles. I'm sure they have a fansite or ten, or at least one forum on the world wide web. go make an account there and actually discuss the Beatles with diehard Beatles fans who really care about the group as you seem to for this and only this will bring you pleasure in this argument.

Here's how I think the next few years will play out.

August 2014: The ¡UNO!, ¡DOS!, ¡TRÉ! world tour ends

September 21, 2014: American Idiot: The Movie (Starring Billie Joe Armstrong as St. Jimmy) (For the first 2 weeks only, the long-awaited Heart Like a Handgrenade documentary will be screened immediately following the American Idiot film)

October 2014: ¡CINCO! Live Album/DVD

1. Welcome To Paradise

2. Basket Case

3. Brain Stew

4. Jaded

5. Nuclear Family

6. Stay the Night

7. Carpe Díem

8. Oh Love

9. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

10. Fuck Time

11. Stray Heart

12. Wow! That's Loud

13. Minority

14. Warning

15. Blood, Sex, and Booze

16. American Idiot

17. Holiday

18. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

19. Wake Me Up When September Ends

21. Know Your Enemy

22. 21 Guns

23. Brutal Love

24. The Forgotten

25. Dirty Rotten Bastards

November 2014: ¡SEIS! Pre-Dookie Days DVD

December 2014: The Ultimate International Superhits Box Set

International Superhits Volume 1 (Originally Released in 2001)

1. Maria

2. Poprocks & Coke

3. Longview

4. Welcome to Paradise

5. Basket Case

6. When I Come Around

7. She

8. J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva)

9. Geek Stink Breath

10. Brain Stew

11. Jaded

12. Walking Contradiction

13. Stuck With Me

14. Hitchin' a Ride

15. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

16. Redundant

17. Nice Guys Finish Last

18. Minority

19. Warning

20. Waiting

21. Macy's Day Parade

International Superhits Volume 2

1. Cigarettes and Valentines (Previously Unreleased Studio Version)

2. I Fought the Law

3. American Idiot

4. Jesus of Suburbia

5. Holiday

6. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

7. Wake Me Up When September Ends

8. Shoplifter

9. Governator

10. Too Much Too Soon

11. Favorite Son

12. Working Class Hero

13. The Saints are Coming (Featuring U2)

14. The Simpsons Theme

15. 21st Century Breakdown

16. Know Your Enemy

17. East Jesus Nowhere

18. 21 Guns

19. Hearts Collide

20. Lights Out

21. A Quick One While He's Away

22. Like a Rolling Stone

23. When it's Time

24. Bonus Track: 21 Guns (Featuring American Idiot Cast)

International Superhits Volume 3

1. Dreamcatcher (New Song)

2. Olivia (New Song)

3. Nuclear Family

4. Stay the Night

5. Let Yourself Go

6. Kill the DJ

7. Troublemaker

8. Oh Love

9. Fuck Time

10. Lazy Bones

11. Wild One

12. Stray Heart

13. Lady Cobra

14. Nightlife

15. Wow! That's Loud

16. Amy

17. Brutal Love

18. Drama Queen

19. X-Kid

20. Amanda

21. Walk Away

22. Dirty Rotten Bastards

23. 99 Revolutions

24. The Forgotten

Green Day takes a break in 2015

November 2015: Green Day starts recording the new album

May 2016: The new album is released (Since Billie Joe has been in rehab, how much of an influence do you think it would have on this record? Should we expect to see a dark punk rock album? Rock Opera?)

June 2016: World Tour

Jesus christ man that is oddly specific and I have no issues with it whatsoever. O_o no really, that was a great set up, and actually got me excited until I remembered it wasn't real. Kudos man, Kudos times ten.

Dude chill out, you typed just as angrily as he did!

Anyways, pulling up the Beatles is not the best example of a band that has experimented a lot. A lot of what the Beatles put out was filler and garbage. Sure, putting out every song you could ever write yielded them SEVERAL incredible tracks, but they are lost among the rest of the discography that I've rarely even heard longtime fans mention. Why? Because even big fans can admit, a lot of their music was just filler.

Also, Green Day has done a lot of those genres in experimentation. Have you even listened to anything from Dookie to American Idiot? Those are arguably the most experimental albums in the core discography. Pull in Shenanigans as well even, and you've got ALL of those genres. This is a group that has done most styles at this point, even a bit of hip hop/ rap now, so don't even TRY and say that they haven't experimented as much as the Beatles did. Let's not over hype that group anymore than they are, mkay?

One a closing note, try and be a bit more respectful. It's just as hard to read an over the top angry post as it is to read one in all caps. Both scream "childish mentality at play here". It's really distracting.

I may have presented my point badly, sorry. As for the Beatles, your point of them having a lot of filler is your opinion (and you're perfectly entitled to it) but I think most of their work was pretty great. And I totally agree about Green Day experimenting, but technically, the Beatles did experiment more than Green Day, because they pushed not only their own boundaries, but the boundaries of popular music as a whole. I was just giving an example other then them, as his point was that Green Day are the only band to ever play multiple genres, which of course they aren't. Also, the Beatles aren't overhyped, most modern music you like probably wouldn't exist, or would be very different, without their influence.

But I digress, I might have appeared angry, but I was just annoyed at his blatant contradiction of what he said himself, as well as his bad grasp of English. And I assure you I'm not childish, just very opinionated (maybe too much so). :)

Wow you seem to think you know EVERYTHING about music because you listen to The Beatles.

Once you get past the hit tracks (the ones that basically form the Across The Universe soundtrack ) you just get filler as far as I am concerned.

You fall right into the category of people who think they know so much more about music because they listen to The Beatles.

You can say that all Green Day albums have pop-punk in them, but that is the groups sound. It's how differently they do those songs and what they bring into music that shows how much they experiment. Seriously, if you have listened to their whole discography in a row how can you say there aren't huge differences between the albums?! Only someone so narrow minded and childish would sum up an album like Nimrod or Warning with "pop-punk" then try and argue they actually know anything about music.

You can't pretend they have no filler, then in the next sentence say "of course they had filler on the albums......

First of all that was a difficult read, seriously try and break it up into a few paragraphs.

These all seem to be odd, baseless statements. I don't think I ever purported to know EVERYTHING about music, I just felt compelled to call out the bizarre idea that Green Day are a more experimental band than The Beatles. That just seems like an obviously incorrect statement to make. It doesn't really come down to opinion. How much of the Beatles discography is filler is an opinion, and you're entitled to it. My opinion on the same issue has changed over time. Yet you are claiming I am pretending they don't have any, when in the very same post I mention some examples of my own! Also for someone accusing someone else of thinking they know more than they do, you're awful quick to type out your list of genres and sign off with "Between my Zune and W8 Phone I could read off groups you've never even fucking heard of."

Also whilst I think reducing stuff to sub-genres is a waste of time and to the detriment of simply sorting out "good music" from "bad music" I think it's fairly accurate to describe all of Green Day's work outside of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown as pop-punk. Billie-Joe wouldn't argue with that. He listens to The Beatles as well as The Clash and The Ramones. He is always willing to admit he wants to write catchy songs. I see their music as being made up of the punk influences he's been listening to most of his life with the pop sensibilities that he's always tried to incorporate into his writing since before they even started playing Gilman. Throughout their career there have been subtle changes but mostly it still fits within the same framework.

Warning is more mid tempo and the distortion is turned down but it's not incorrect to describe it as pop-punk, how else do you describe every song on it that isn't Warning, Misery or Macy's Day Parade.

I may have presented my point badly, sorry. As for the Beatles, your point of them having a lot of filler is your opinion (and you're perfectly entitled to it) but I think most of their work was pretty great. And I totally agree about Green Day experimenting, but technically, the Beatles did experiment more than Green Day, because they pushed not only their own boundaries, but the boundaries of popular music as a whole. I was just giving an example other then them, as his point was that Green Day are the only band to ever play multiple genres, which of course they aren't. Also, the Beatles aren't overhyped, most modern music you like probably wouldn't exist, or would be very different, without their influence.

But I digress, I might have appeared angry, but I was just annoyed at his blatant contradiction of what he said himself, as well as his bad grasp of English. And I assure you I'm not childish, just very opinionated (maybe too much so). :)

nah it's cool. It's really easy to get steamed on this site I've noticed. I mean no offense to our foreign GD fans, but the forums are not the best place for them if they don't have English down fairly well, as it more often than not leads to their point being completely crazy and totally not what they meant to say, making the discussions crazy difficult to follow. It's not so I can read easier, it's so they can project what they're trying to say correctly.

By overhyped I meant in quality, not influence. They deserve every bit of hype for what they did for music ;) I just don't like their music, if you know what I mean. It's an odd distinction. Still, I'll probably roll over to a Beatles playlist on youtube and start going through the discography now that I'm a bit older.

Green Day in my opinion are absolutely on par with The Beatles musically, and are without a doubt the better band in general. I fucking love the Beatles. They lasted ten years, and in those ten years did some amazing things and wrote some incredible songs. Green Day have already lasted much longer than them, and again, in my opinion, pushed the boundaries of rock n' roll time and time again. Experimentation is not the point here, but both bands have done their fair share.

As for what happens next, we'll have to wait and see.

First of all that was a difficult read, seriously try and break it up into a few paragraphs.

These all seem to be odd, baseless statements. I don't think I ever purported to know EVERYTHING about music, I just felt compelled to call out the bizarre idea that Green Day are a more experimental band than The Beatles. That just seems like an obviously incorrect statement to make. It doesn't really come down to opinion. How much of the Beatles discography is filler is an opinion, and you're entitled to it. My opinion on the same issue has changed over time. Yet you are claiming I am pretending they don't have any, when in the very same post I mention some examples of my own! Also for someone accusing someone else of thinking they know more than they do, you're awful quick to type out your list of genres and sign off with "Between my Zune and W8 Phone I could read off groups you've never even fucking heard of."

Also whilst I think reducing stuff to sub-genres is a waste of time and to the detriment of simply sorting out "good music" from "bad music" I think it's fairly accurate to describe all of Green Day's work outside of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown as pop-punk. Billie-Joe wouldn't argue with that. He listens to The Beatles as well as The Clash and The Ramones. He is always willing to admit he wants to write catchy songs. I see their music as being made up of the punk influences he's been listening to most of his life with the pop sensibilities that he's always tried to incorporate into his writing since before they even started playing Gilman. Throughout their career there have been subtle changes but mostly it still fits within the same framework.

Warning is more mid tempo and the distortion is turned down but it's not incorrect to describe it as pop-punk, how else do you describe every song on it that isn't Warning, Misery or Macy's Day Parade.

You didn't really discredit anything I said. I told you that the groups sound is Pop-Punk, but that it's really insane to just sum everything up in that when a huge bit of discography is NOT pop-punk.

I did list of a huge array of genres and music to show you I don't listen to just Green Day and that I can objectively listen to other music, something you had already said with your "green day fanboy glasses" statement. Which I proved effectively, as the odds of you knowing who the Pillows and Seatbelts are very slim because they are eastern groups. Why did you even mention that? I said I know a lot of music, and GAVE a lot of music. All of which I go through in an average week, no joke. Was I wrong in what I said? Or are you just pointing things out?

Most of the rest of my statement was pointing out the contradictions in yours, which included almost denying the Beatles filler, then in the same post acknowledging it only by saying "well Green Day has filler too". As for Green Day experimenting as much or more than the Beatles, I still stand by that. Any die hard fans could go through their discography and pick out several songs that most would NEVER think are GD songs, especially after this trilogy. Still, I already said that neither were/are as experimental as The Pillows. Those guys seriously have pushed everything into their music, so much that when listening to it, I sometimes question what artist I'm even on! They even mix Japanese and English into half their songs. Yoko Kanno is another great example of an artist who, over the course of about 45-60 albums, has pushed just about every genre and sound into her music. Hell, even the english group The Gorillaz has experimented crazy amounts.

In short, many groups have experimented on par with or even farther than The Beatles, which is what I sort of think you were arguing about. And no, I really don't like sub-categorizing music either. In the end the difference between those little sub-genres gets to be nothing more than a headache, with people pulling out one song out of 10,000, using that to argue that a group is such and such.

Let's just not mess with the sub-genres o_e

Green Day in my opinion are absolutely on par with The Beatles musically, and are without a doubt the better band in general. I fucking love the Beatles. They lasted ten years, and in those ten years did some amazing things and wrote some incredible songs. Green Day have already lasted much longer than them, and again, in my opinion, pushed the boundaries of rock n' roll time and time again. Experimentation is not the point here, but both bands have done their fair share.

As for what happens next, we'll have to wait and see.

Or what this guy said XD

nah it's cool. It's really easy to get steamed on this site I've noticed. I mean no offense to our foreign GD fans, but the forums are not the best place for them if they don't have English down fairly well, as it more often than not leads to their point being completely crazy and totally not what they meant to say, making the discussions crazy difficult to follow. It's not so I can read easier, it's so they can project what they're trying to say correctly.

By overhyped I meant in quality, not influence. They deserve every bit of hype for what they did for music ;) I just don't like their music, if you know what I mean. It's an odd distinction. Still, I'll probably roll over to a Beatles playlist on youtube and start going through the discography now that I'm a bit older.

You should definitely go through their discography; I did that like a year ago, and before that I thought they were overhyped and all that, and then I heard it, and really listened properly, and I was like "Wow, they weren't joking!" :D but if you don't like it, as I said, you're entitled to think that. Sorry for the disagreement! :P

You should definitely go through their discography; I did that like a year ago, and before that I thought they were overhyped and all that, and then I heard it, and really listened properly, and I was like "Wow, they weren't joking!" :D but if you don't like it, as I said, you're entitled to think that. Sorry for the disagreement! :P

I tend to roll back on bands every year. It took me three years to get into Muse, yet it took one song for Green Day =p it's just weird for me.

Seeing people talk about how Green Day is "better" than the Beatles is pretty ignorant. Yes, both bands influenced bands of the future and yes, both bands brought a change to the popular scene, but The Beatles were pioneers. They had very few influences to base their sound on, whereas Green Day had decades of tunes and bands to gain inspiration from. Green Day will always be my favorite band of all-time. But i cannot lie to myself and say that they are "better" than the Beatles.

As for now, I'm satisfied.

It was about time Green Day broke the cycle of releasing albums with +1 year since Dookie. To me, the 3-album-thing was a gift and these albums are containing some of the best material they ever put out.

I'm not looking for another album by the band right now.

They did a lot already, I'm not saying they should retire, these new albums need their time to shine. Seems like GD's new songs don't get the attention they deserve...

I'm glad they went away from that 21st Century Breakdown sound. It is an okay album, but it was trying too hard. It's like "we gotta beat american idiot with it" by using the same formula...

And the fans? young teenage fans like, 13, 14 years old with AI had to wait 5 freaking years for 21st century breakdown...ooh wee.

However, UNO, DOS, TRE are out now, best thing they could possibly do. I love these records.

Seeing people talk about how Green Day is "better" than the Beatles is pretty messed up. Yes, both bands influenced bands of the future and yes, both bands brought a change to the popular scene, but The Beatles were pioneers. They had very few influences to base their sound on, whereas Green Day had decades of tunes and bands to gain inspiration from. Green Day will always be my favorite band of all-time. But i cannot lie to myself and say that they are "better" than the Beatles.

That pretty much hits it on the nail. People are never going to agree on any question when it comes to "which is better?". People are going to have different tastes/opinions than others and that's okay. When you look at the success that both Green Day and the Beatles have had, you think that they are both great bands. You shouldn't compare them like that because they're two completely different bands. It's not really a question of who's better, it's just your opinion. Don't let something like this turn into a fight, if Green Day is better than the Beatles in your opinion, than that's cool with me and hopefully everyone else.

As much as i wholeheartedly adore Green Fay, please don't ever compare them to The Beatles. No band (who has yet to come) has come close to topping/matching the Beatles, disregarding a handful of bands like The Who and The Rolling Stones. That being said, yes, Green Day does have some experimentation, but they are definitely not the kings of so. If you want to hear a band that packs a different sound every album and is really pushing boundarys, then i suggest you listen to Radiohead. Green Day has done a lot of really cool experimentations, like King For A Day and Kill the DJ. Lets be honest though, they really haven't done enough so that they should be called more revolutionary than the Beatles, which is beyond ridiculous.

Since I've been listening to quite a lot of the Beatles recently, while Green Day have certainly done a fair amount of experimentation compared to other bands of their generation, they still haven't covered as many genres as much older bands. They've covered ska, folk, pop, rap and hip hop, disco, elements of jazz and have done a lot of ballads and more acoustic music. Yet, they haven't really fully gone all out in any of these genres. It would be great to hear them do that on the next record. I'd also like to hear do something influenced by Indian music, with Billie on the sitar or something :D You know, in the vein of Within you, Without You or Love You To.

And I don't man to sound cynical but if Green Day want to really cement their status as a great band (despite what they say, I really get the impression they want to, and I want them to as well), the next record is going to have to have a Dookie or American Idiot type success at least critically, if they're 'too old' to appeal to the mainstream anymore. I honestly think experimentation and a more serious lyrical approach is the only way to go.

I would love a new Live DVD and International Superhits Vol. II.

If they were to do a 'Vol. II', my guess would be:

1. Cigarettes & Valentines (Studio)

2. American Idiot

3. Holiday

4. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

5. Wake Me Up When September Ends

6. Jesus of Suburbia

7. The Saints Are Coming

8. Know Your Enemy

9. 21 Guns

10. 21st Century Breakdown

11. East Jesus Nowhere

12. Last of the American Girls

13. Oh Love

14. Kill the DJ

15. Let Yourself Go

16. Nuclear Family / Stay the Night

17. Stray Heart

18. Fuck Time

19. X-Kid / 99 Revolutions (depending on which becomes a single)

20. The Forgotten

I'd also love to see a Shenanigans Vol. II, with all the out-takes from the trilogy, so we can all argue over why they should have made the cut instead of 'X Song'. :D

After American Idiot they did their biggest tour yet and in the rest of the time until starting to work on 21CB, they've made 2 albums for their side bands - Foxboro Hot Tubs and The Network

The Network was after Warning, in 2003

• 3 months later...

Just a question and I'm pretty sure there's already a thread for this somewhere

Archived