So, What Happens Next?

!

So it's been almost a week since people have listened to Tre. (I realize some people have refused to listen to the leak and that's understandable) . Since then, people have formed their opinions about the trilogy: rated it, re-listened to it, appreciated it, and hated it. Some people may think it's too soon, but I thought it would be cool to go ahead and discuss what comes next for Green Day.
The only thing we know for sure is that the band will start touring again, and will start writing again, other than that, anything is possible. Will they make another Foxboro Hot Tubs album? Will they focus on the American Idiot Film, will they take a break, will the new album be another concept album, will the new album's sound take the band back to their roots, or will they continue from when they left off with Nimrod and Warning and continue experimenting? There are a number of things they can do, and all we can do is guess.
For the next album, which I hope would come out in 2015, I would like for it to have a similar sound to that of Nimrod. I myself love Warning, but It seems as if the problem with Warning was that it was too much of a change from why people liked the band and they just weren't ready for it yet. I feel as if they have proven that they can still make an album in which they can make a balance the type of music that people fell in love with them for, and the experimentation that they were aiming for. As to what they'll talk about, I'm absolutely clueless. The next thing I would love for them to do is after they tour for 2013, they should rest, and just spend 2014 to celebrate the 10 and 20 year release of Dookie and American Idiot. It'll be awesome for the band to have a year long tour just performing songs from their two widely considered classic albums. Maybe they could spend half of the tour performing Dookie, the other half performing American Idiot, or a blend of songs from both albums. Either way it'll be awesome. Another thing that I'll like to see is for them to re release Dookie and American Idiot as a bundle with a live album with footage from the tour or that American Idiot Film we have been promised. But there's a good chance that won't happen at all. If Warner or the band doesn't acknowledge the anniversaries of those albums, I'll be a little bummed.
It may be a little too early for this thread, but I just wanna keep people talking and hear some opinions. So, I laid out my wants, what do you all want to see the band do in the near or far future?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i hope they take a break from songwriting. i want them to be inspired. But i also know that Billie Joe doesnt like taking time off, so who knows what is up next. I don't even think that they know what comes next.

I'm pretty sure they won't take a break because of what Billie said in Quatro...I think they will make another album and we must hope it won't suck. That's all :D

well, i hope they take a break from songwriting. i want them to be inspired. But i also know that Billie Joe doesnt like taking time off, so who knows what is up next. I don't even think that they know what comes next.

Well, they took a three and a half year break from Warning to AI and about the same time from AI to 21CB so they take breaks every here and there, although I do understand what he meant in the Quatro highlight.

I honestly hope they do a serious album now, not a sad or depressing one, but just serious. No songs like Fwoo Time or Makeout Party.

depressing one

actually a dark album would be kinda cool. But that'd mean that they're unhappy so fuck that.

Tre isn't officially out yet, is it? A bit early to discuss the next album! :o

Germany, Australia. No one ever thinks about us :(:P

I honestly hope they do a serious album now, not a sad or depressing one, but just serious. No songs like Fwoo Time or Makeout Party.

I do too. I wanna hear more songs with topics like One for the razorbacks, Who wrote Holden Caulfield, No Pride, etc

Meh, speculations are fun. :P

I know, I wrote at the beginning and end of the thread, but I noticed that before Uno came out, the forum was kinda dead because there was nothing to talk about, and I kinda think it'll get like that soon, so I just came up with something.

If the mods feel the need to close it, I won't mind.

They're going to make more albums and do more tours, i.e. their job.

BIG SHOCK

No kidding? We all know that. But let's discuss and converse about it. You know, the main point of a forum :)

and switzerland too :P

and switzerland too :P

Haha, GD loves their internation fans :) ... Now Warner on the other hand....

I like your idea of them celebrating the anniversaries of both AI and Dookie with a year-long tour consisting of songs from the two albums. That would be awesome.

I don't know. I've never liked when people ask them that on interviews. It's really a hurry when they think about the future when people is just starting to enjoy the album(/s) that's going on now; and for them too, for the tour and promotion.

In light of what has been happening, this could actually end up being quite creative songwriting process for Billie. It does make me wonder what sort of stuff he'll sing about next, I mean this is probably a huge turning point in his life. But y'know, who am I to know :lol: I'm just gonna enjoy these albums until that day comes.

actually a dark album would be kinda cool. But that'd mean that they're unhappy so fuck that.

Well Insomniac was dark.

I do too. I wanna hear more songs with topics like One for the razorbacks, Who wrote Holden Caulfield, No Pride, etc

That's like asking for another Dookie. Bit pointless really.

I don't know. I've never liked when people ask them that on interviews. It's really a hurry when they think about the future when people is just starting to enjoy the album(/s) that's going on now; and for them too, for the tour and promotion.

People don't know how to live in the present anymore and enjoy what's currently going on around them.

Come on guys, the album cycle has barely begun. The albums are out, now they're gonna tour for about two years and do some real promotion for the albums since Billie will be soon out of rehab (tv show appearances etc.)

In late 2013/2014 they will probably focus on the American Idiot movie so they can get the movie out for the album's 10th anniversary. Then maybe some side projects, maybe a new Frustrators or Pinhead Gunpowder album or Billie producing the next Emily's Army album.

Then they're probably gonna take a longer break, similar to the break between AI and 21stCB... After bringing out three albums, a shitload of touring and a movie those guys will probably want a break. I expect the next album in 2016 or something... :/ And I think it will be a more stripped down and serious album. Billie probably wrote a lot of serious songs during his rehab and after three "fun" albums, maybe they want to do something in the vein of Warning/American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown again. I hope so because I think Green Day is at their best when their huge and ambitious... I'm actually hoping for another punk rock opera because that's the Green Day I fell in love with. :happy:

That's like asking for another Dookie. Bit pointless really.

I'm not necessarily referring to the sound. I'm talking about the topics in the songs, like concept songs if that makes any sense.

Archived