Is Green Day gaining momentum with a different crowd?

Guest Honey Emerald

Guest Honey Emerald

I know there is a thread about whether or not they are "losing popularity" already, ... let us try to get off that topic.

Many of us seem to recognize that Green Day sounds "different" from what we were used to with "classic" Green Day.

What is the outcome of that?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few weeks back I were able to play two songs off of Uno at a party without having anyone complain. That would not have happened with any songs from before the triology, so I think the change is good :)

Well I don't know..I think, with this trilogy, we got a lot of songs which sound like classic green day.

Well,Personally Yes.

Every time they release an Album,They get momentum with a different crowd.

I mean,Keep in Mind...(American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown)

Completely different sounds,and when the trilogy showed up.Since it's a mixture of like 40 different sounding songs,

I would say most definitely

I can get away with playing songs like Kill the DJ, Makeout Party, Nightlife & Wow! that's Loud at parties now and not get people bitching at me, so anything that increases lite ability for non-fans whilst not alienating current fans is good in my book.

Well, obviously, if you branch out into different sounds like Green Day have with the Trilogy, it's only logical you're going to appeal to a wider demographic.

I remember seeing quite a bit of youtube comments of the ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! trailers hearing those snippets of Kill The DJ and Fuck Time. The comments were from people who didn't like Green Day saying stuff like "Wow, I might actually listen to this". I don't know how those people feel now, though.

I generally group GD's history into four 'eras' - Dookie & pre-Dookie, Insomniac - Warning, AI & 21CB, and the trilogy. Each era has a radically different sound which appeals to different people. I certainly feel that the trilogy, in general, is easier to like for non-GD-fans. Whether the band decide to continue down this road, or enter another era, is yet to be seen. I personally feel we'll be getting more material like Tre in the future, since those were some of the last songs the bad were writing.

"Classic" Green Day? Well I don't know.. to me there is no classic Green Day. Over the years they experiment more with different sounds, true, but it's still Green Day for me. The trilogy is something new, but it still clearly has that Green Day sound I can't explain. So I don't know what the outcome is of that. More awesome music? More people discovering this awesome music? :D

The Trilogy era is just a mix using different elements that GD has used in the past, plus some additions in its sound (Kill the DJ, Nightlife, etc). I don't if this trilogy makes people attracted to listen to Green Day's Discography. The trilogy, IMHO, was made just for the fans.

Whenever somebody popular releases new material, there's going to be some attention drawn from the outside. Some of the new fans will stay, and some of them won't.

As for the "classic Green Day" categorization... I think the best way to describe Uno! and Tre! is "A new twist on some old favorites." Dos! is pretty much the same thing but with Foxboro Hot Tubs instead of Green Day. Uno is a lot like nimrod if it was more upbeat. Tre is like if you mixed Warning with 21st Century Breakdown and made everybody smile with it. Dos is like if you made FHT 400% dirtier.

Well those are my thoughts, anyway.

A lot of what keeps Green Day now from sounding like mid 90s Green Day is Billie's voice. He dropped the faux britsh accent thing.

A lot of what keeps Green Day now from sounding like mid 90s Green Day is Billie's voice. He dropped the faux britsh accent thing.

I think a lot of people really liked that voice.

I think a lot of people really liked that voice.

It started to become what it is now on Nimrod then his natural voice started to really come out on Warning.

i never understood the British accent thing. when the hell does he ever sound british?!

I don't know if he necessarily dropped it, I just think his voice has matured a great deal. the male voice doesn't fully mature until around age 35 on average (as opposed to around 20 with females). Billie has always has an awesome natural quality to his voice, but ever since AI you can tell that his chops have improved greatly. I believe that a lot of this has to do with vocal training, Broadway, etc. I don't think that necessarily makes them sound less like "classic Green Day," but it's something that I love as a classically trained vocalist.

It's not really a faux British accent. I call it his '90s voice', because so many 90s singers did the exact same assonance-type-thing with their vowels.

I wouldn't say faux British. You want to hear a real wanna be accent? Listen to some old Rancid songs, Tim Armstrong purposely things that way to sound like the Clash (and he has a lisp). Billie's voice has always seems nasally and mushy on the mids 90's stuff, maybe even a little on American Idiot, but in a good way. He's nowhere near as nasally as someone like Mike Herrera or Tom Delonge.

i never understood the British accent thing. when the hell does he ever sound british?!

Listen to "Longview"; that's the one where it's most evident for me.

I think it's cool that new people start liking Green Day. I really don't care about people who say "I hate Green Day", but it's still nice to hear those people suddenly say "Hey I kinda like that song!".

Anyway, I think people who say they hate Green Day are pretty stupid. I mean, it's not like until now they had the same style and sound and vibe to their albums. Everything changes and evolves in each era of their discography.

Even though this trilogy is super awesome (haven't listened to Tre yet) I hope the next album will be serious or even conceptial again.

Yeah, his voice sounds more nasaly on albums '39/smooth' to 'Warning', not British.

Archived