Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

Royal Hospital nurse who took prank phone call from Aussie DJS found dead..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Radioactive1

Radioactive1

Dearly Beloved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts
  • Joined May 19, 2006

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Please remove this if not appropriate but I actually couldnt believe it when I heard the news this afternoon. I'm sure most of you know Kate Middleton is pregnant, royal baby and all that. She got taken into hospital with extreme morning sickness earlier this week. Whilst she was in hospital two Australian radio presenters for 2dayfm prank called the hospital and pretended to be the queen and Charles and this nurse transferred the call through to the department who then gave out private information about Kates condition. This nurse, it has then suspected has taken her own life this morning. She is a wife and mother to two children. And I think this is so dreadfully sad. I heard it when I was driving on the radio and nearly crashed my car. There was no way I ever saw this coming.

http://www.dailymail...pital-call.html

The two radio presenters have disabled their twitter accounts and have been suspended until further notice. This is a tragedy. The joke was in bad taste anyway. But what is meant to be the most joyous time for William and Kate has now been destroyed by this.

But there's so many different opinions on this. I wondered what people here thought.

1. Are the media mainly to blame for covering this so much before the suicide?
2. The woman never gave any details out she just transferred the call and it was confirmed she'd not been suspended from her job. SO surely there must be some underlying issues? But maybe it was this that pushed her over the edge? Or will it be this entirely?
3. People are suggesting the radio presenters get charged with manslaughter. Should they be the ones to blame for this?

Apologies if not appropriate but this news has shocked me to the core. 2 boys and a father are without their mother this christmas. Possibly due to a 2 minute hoax call for viewer ratings.

#2 Céadóg

Céadóg

Fucking say it

• Warning
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,592 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Very sad news, but there's probably more to this.

Charging the DJ's with manslaughter is totally ludicrous. They had no idea that what on paper was a fairly harmless prank that they expected to completely fail could end so tragically. I have little doubt that there was an underlying issue. Whether this tipped her over the edge or not, it's impossible to say.
  • StuckWithInsomnia likes this

#3 Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

Head of Tom's legal council

• Members
  • 19,149 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I think it sucks and they should get in trouble for doing something so stupid.

#4 Vic_Rattlehead

Vic_Rattlehead

Chump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

If the nurse hadn't committed sucide, everyone would be saying how funny this is. Just saying. She must have had underlying issues, this was a harmless prank, and it wasn't malicious in the slightest.
  • Céadóg likes this

#5 StrayHeart93

StrayHeart93

Supermodel Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined Apr 12, 2012

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

IMO they have blood on their hands and should be sacked but to involve the police ..... Not really going to do any good for anyone :/

#6 StuckWithInsomnia

StuckWithInsomnia

Supermodel Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2012

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I completely agree with Ceadog

#7 Milla

Milla

Pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2009

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

If the nurse hadn't committed sucide, everyone would be saying how funny this is. Just saying. She must have had underlying issues, this was a harmless prank, and it wasn't malicious in the slightest.

I agree. It's not the first time that someone pretends to be someone else (to get information, or otherwise). It's sad news, but I don't think the radio presenters are to blame. She must have been depressed and not getting help for some reason. Anything could have sent her over the edge, I think.

My thoughts go out to her family.

#8 ChelseaDagger

ChelseaDagger

boulevard of sweet ass creams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • Joined Jul 13, 2009

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

How tragic.

Though part of me does feel bad for the DJ's. They probably thought that they'd call the hospital and get hung up on, that's how those sorts of things usually go. I'm sure they never thought they would actually get any information, and I am VERY SURE they never thought anything malicious would come of what they did. Now they have to live with knowing that a prank would end up in a life taken. Radio stations always do pranks and stupid shit like this!!!!!

The whole thing is very sad. What a mess!

But manslaughter charges for the DJ's?? Uh, no.

#9 musso_kn

musso_kn

Just alright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Tragic, but somewhat coincidental.

As people have mentioned before, this prank call can't really be to blame. The woman more than likely had major personal problems that drove her to suicide. The prank call and its aftermath was just a final trigger. Accusing the DJs of manslaughter is ridiculous. They should offer some form of apology and condolences, but any fool can tell you suicide doesn't just happen like that. And it's an extremely subjective claim.

#10 spark in the night

spark in the night

◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• Members
  • 29,919 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I read this at work and shared with my co-workers. We were all like wtf. What a tragic thing

#11 Emilie.

Emilie.

Super Nintendo Chalmers

• Members
  • 14,722 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

There's no way the radio presenters are to blame for this. It was a stupid prank call they decided to do, not expecting at all to be taken seriously. And by some fluke they were.
This is really sad but it didn't happen because of the call.

#12 BJA TC MD

BJA TC MD

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,371 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2011

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

This isn't the first time this radio station has been in trouble. A few years ago they got into trouble for a lie detector stunt, where a girl was being asked questions, and she revealed she was raped. The radio station was on the news and suspended I believe.

What happened is a tragedy and shouldn't have happened. I hope the nurses family and friends are okay.

#13 Emilie.

Emilie.

Super Nintendo Chalmers

• Members
  • 14,722 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

This isn't the first time this radio station has been in trouble. A few years ago they got into trouble for a lie detector stunt, where a girl was being asked questions, and she revealed she was raped. The radio station was on the news and suspended I believe.

It was the same station? At least it wasn't Kyle Sandilands doing this phone prank.

#14 BJA TC MD

BJA TC MD

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,371 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2011

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

It was the same station? At least it wasn't Kyle Sandilands doing this phone prank.

Yeah same station, just not Kyle Sandilands.

#15 blitzkriegdeb

blitzkriegdeb

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,447 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2008

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

On one hand, I feel for the DJs because they probably didn't think they'd actually get through to the nurses and it's pretty obvious that they didn't mean any harm or anything, but on the other hand, it was still a stupid prank to pull in general.

I think the woman was under a lot of media scrutiny for allowing the call to go through so easily. It was a double edge sword situation; either she take the call and let it go through or she deny the call and be known as the woman who denied the queen (obviously she didn't know) a phone call to Kate.

Just an unesseccary situation that turned tragic, my thoughts go out to the family and friends of the young woman.

Advertising

#16 bjrules

bjrules

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

There's no way the radio presenters are to blame for this. It was a stupid prank call they decided to do, not expecting at all to be taken seriously. And by some fluke they were.
This is really sad but it didn't happen because of the call.

This. This is seriously tragic, and my thoughts go out to the family, but I don't believe that the djs are to blame here. Also, thy shouldn't really get in trouble for getting that info about Kate, because, in all honesty, it wasn't even a convincing prank. As if the Queen is going to ring up and ask how her granddaughter's "tummy bug" is going. She would have a servant to do that for a start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com