Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

MP3 Players

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep
I wanted to hear from you guys - especially those of you that own non-iPod mp3 players - about your music player and your opinions on it, especially sound quality, storage capacity, battery life, user interface, or any other useful pieces of info.

I've been investigating mp3 players, because I am totally fed up of iPods (I have owned several over the years, a mini, nano and classic) and the way iTunes makes it very difficult to move your music collection between different players and computers. So I'm trying to move away from Apple completely.

One of the most important things (at least to me) is the music quality, and this is another thing that iPods notoriously lack. After a bit of research it seems to me that Cowon (a Korean company) make mp3 players that offer astounding sound quality and excellent battery life, so I'm sort of leaning towards getting the Cowon C2. It's only 16GB, but comes with a handy micro SD slot so you can expand the capacity to 48GB. I've also been looking at some of the Sony and Creative Zen players too, but Cowon seems to trump them on sound quality.

Thanks

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 16,041 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,045 rep
iPod nano is good for storage, ease of access and use, battery and all those things, but compared to my phone, the sound quality is extremely flat and doesn't compliment my ear buds whatsoever.
My phone is my primary music player, it's the Galaxy SII. The music player really does my buds justice, I can tweak the sound in so many ways, both EQ and sound filter combinations + the custom EQ no one ever uses. The sound is so much more detailed and good, and compared to my iPod, it's beastly in bass.

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep
I always go with smartphones. They have decent storage capacity (I have 1,500 songs and have never had a problem with space) and it's just so much more convenient if you're the type to listen to music wherever you go. In terms of sound quality, it's always best (imo) to get something with an equaliser, so you can fine-tune the balance of your music to your own taste. EQ is far more important than sound quality in almost any case. If you're really an audiophile, there's no point trying to get optimum sound quality from an mp3 player. You're not going to get optimum from anything other than a sound system. In terms of battery life, of course smartphones perform the worst, but there are always programs which can turn the phone into an mp3 player (ie. turn off every single function of the phone apart from music and put into super-power-saver-mode) which tends to give results more like actual mp3 players.

On a side note, I can't agree with iPods having awful sound quality. They're among the best on the market (especially the classic iPods). - they may be more expensive than your typical mp3 player, but you get what you pay for.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep

iPod nano is good for storage, ease of access and use, battery and all those things, but compared to my phone, the sound quality is extremely flat and doesn't compliment my ear buds whatsoever.
My phone is my primary music player, it's the Galaxy SII. The music player really does my buds justice, I can tweak the sound in so many ways, both EQ and sound filter combinations + the custom EQ no one ever uses. The sound is so much more detailed and good, and compared to my iPod, it's beastly in bass.

Yeah I definitely notice a difference between my phone (HTC one S) and my iPod. The HTC has some sort of beats audio thing on it that makes the quality so much better than the iPod. The EQ options on the iPod are so limited as well. I would just use my phone, but I tend to go away camping etc and like to have a player with decent battery life.

StiffLittleFinger

StiffLittleFinger
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 268 rep
I Have A Sony Walkman is a good one !!

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,582 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,925 rep
Creative Zen's are definitely amongst the most durable. I've lost count of the amount of times I've put them through the washing machine and they've come out unscathed.
  • Sarcasm likes this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,041 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,045 rep
the good thing about iPods is that the good models weigh nothing whatsoever, and the battery lasts forever. The downfall is the crappy sound and the stupid touch circle that's terrible where I live and you're dependent on gloves or mittens or something 5 months each year.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep

I always go with smartphones. They have decent storage capacity (I have 1,500 songs and have never had a problem with space) and it's just so much more convenient if you're the type to listen to music wherever you go. In terms of sound quality, it's always best (imo) to get something with an equaliser, so you can fine-tune the balance of your music to your own taste. EQ is far more important than sound quality in almost any case. If you're really an audiophile, there's no point trying to get optimum sound quality from an mp3 player. You're not going to get optimum from anything other than a sound system. In terms of battery life, of course smartphones perform the worst, but there are always programs which can turn the phone into an mp3 player (ie. turn off every single function of the phone apart from music and put into super-power-saver-mode) which tends to give results more like actual mp3 players.

On a side note, I can't agree with iPods having awful sound quality. They're among the best on the market (especially the classic iPods). - they may be more expensive than your typical mp3 player, but you get what you pay for.

The EQ control on iPods is terrible though. I did have a Zen for a while but it died pretty quick, however I did notice it produced better sound than most iPods. The Cowon looks like a good bet because it supports all sorts of audio formats - you can have flac for example and it has an awesome EQ tuner.

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep
I have some kind of MP3 but I have never used it because having the music in my phone is a lot more practical. The MP3 still works well though.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,041 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,045 rep
I guess this is the best I've had
Posted Image
It was a bit slow, the battery was ok, simple drag and drop system, excellent EQ and bass booster. The sad thing was that anything above 4gigs was really expensive, and if you used an SD card (which could give you up to 64gig+, depending on the card) but when you selected music on it the software was severely capped. Music stopped when you went to the list of files and you couldn't adjust EQ while listening to music.
The start up time was terrible as well, but damn what a brick. It can take endless damage.
  • fiercecircus likes this

DannyDirnt

DannyDirnt
  • Pokémon Master

• 9,132 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2012
  • 3,560 rep
I use my computer or my blackberry. They're both pretty good, I can't complain. I have a 16GB SD card in my blackberry :lol:

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep
I turned my "old" Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket phone into a media player, affectionately dubbed the "iRocket Touch" because of how similar it's ended up being to an iPod Touch. With Beats audio drivers (the drivers are great; the headphones suck) and a program that ports over my iTunes playlists, plus the ability to take a 64GB micro SD card in there if you take three minutes to format the 64GB card so a phone will read it, it's as solid an MP3 player as I've owned. Galaxy SII's (which can't go north of 32GB, period) are cheap now, and you should be able to find a used one in Scotland easily. The Skyrocket would be tougher to find and more expensive--and it won't work as a phone up there in any way, shape or form--but worth it if you ask me. Just put it permanently into airplane mode, turn wifi on, and let her rip.

I've also got a 160 GB iPod classic, the last model they made before discontinuing the classic line, and while it is massive and can hold my entire collection almost four times over, the sound on it is flat. Supposedly there's a way to hack the iPod and modify the drivers to give it better sound quality, but that risks turning your iPod into a brick.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep
This is the Cowon C2 I've been looking into.
Posted Image
Up to 48GB (although I've heard you can format 64GB sdxc cards to work in sdhc compatible devices, so up to 80GB) storage, 50 hours of battery life, and the audiophiles seem to rave about the sound quality and EQ. Downsides are that the user interface is pretty simple and the screen isn't great, but to be honest I'm just looking for something that plays really good music, so I don't care! It sounds like lossless files + Cowon device + good headphones = the best quality you can get on a portable device. And it's pretty reasonably priced at £110 (approx $175 or 135EUR).

I turned my "old" Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket phone into a media player, affectionately dubbed the "iRocket Touch" because of how similar it's ended up being to an iPod Touch. With Beats audio drivers (the drivers are great; the headphones suck) and a program that ports over my iTunes playlists, plus the ability to take a 64GB micro SD card in there if you take three minutes to format the 64GB card so a phone will read it, it's as solid an MP3 player as I've owned. Galaxy SII's (which can't go north of 32GB, period) are cheap now, and you should be able to find a used one in Scotland easily. The Skyrocket would be tougher to find and more expensive--and it won't work as a phone up there in any way, shape or form--but worth it if you ask me. Just put it permanently into airplane mode, turn wifi on, and let her rip.

I've also got a 160 GB iPod classic, the last model they made before discontinuing the classic line, and while it is massive and can hold my entire collection almost four times over, the sound on it is flat. Supposedly there's a way to hack the iPod and modify the drivers to give it better sound quality, but that risks turning your iPod into a brick.

Yeah that's my main problem with the iPod's, for the money you pay all you get in return is something that looks sexy, but doesn't do the job well. What is the battery life like on the "iRocket Touch" :P then?

Breakdown_EE

Breakdown_EE
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2012
  • 235 rep
I use my phone a Samsung Galaxy S+ but not the standart music player i use the App "Player Pro" its much better imo it has awesome EQ Settings , Playlist/Rating -Options, Widgets... i can use a microSD for more storage and i only need too carry one device with me

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Yeah that's my main problem with the iPod's, for the money you pay all you get in return is something that looks sexy, but doesn't do the job well. What is the battery life like on the "iRocket Touch" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... then?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Note: I haven't listened to much music at all on this run, but when the screen's been on, I've typically been playing games. Playing music with the screen off eats up 1-2% per hour, playing games with the screen on can chew through up to 10% per hour, depending on the game.

Advertising

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
I have a creative zen (have for a couple of years now) and it's pretty decent. I have no sound issues with it personally. It's only an 8 gig which is slightly disappointing but it encourages me to change up my music selection all the time (taking out the tracks i don't listen to when i put new stuff on.) It is expandable with a memory card but as previously mentioned, the memory card stuff plays seperately from the rest of the music.

I might actually be due for an upgrade soon since my battery life is not as good as it once was. But like i said, i think i've had this player for about two years, if not longer.

EastCaitlinNowhere

EastCaitlinNowhere
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2012
  • 123 rep
I have two mp3 players, my iPod and my iPhone. There is a reasonable difference between the sound quality of my ipod and my phone, but then again, it's a second gen iPod touch compared to an iPhone 4.

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,466 rep
I'll probably get laughed for this but I have a Zune..I got five years ago and it's still going pretty strong. I like it a lot actually. The software is pretty good and it's pretty sturdy. I don't think they make them new anymore but you can still find them amazon.

Lucca Orlandini

Lucca Orlandini
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2012
  • 20 rep
I'd recommend an Android smartphone, if you can't afford of an iPhone, they generally have decent memory and you can use for multiple stuff such as phone and music player, internet, games...

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep

Well I decided to take the plunge and buy the Cowon.

Omg. Jizz. Why the fuck have I been buying iPods all these years? You get more for less with the cowon. Ok the user interface isn't amazing, but you get used to it. But the sound... :wub: :wub:

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

I will have to look for this Cowon...

my issue is- if i'm just walking down the street or on the train- sure, use my phone for music.

But when i work out- i need something that fits into my bra. Because i don't have pockets. And because that way i snake the earbuds out my shirt collar and they don't get in the way.

I call it the "BoobPod".

(but really. my boobs are the only body part that doesn't get mashed by the trapeze. it's the only safe place for an mp3 player.)

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep
I will have to look for this Cowon...

my issue is- if i'm just walking down the street or on the train- sure, use my phone for music.

But when i work out- i need something that fits into my bra. Because i don't have pockets. And because that way i snake the earbuds out my shirt collar and they don't get in the way.

I call it the "BoobPod".

(but really. my boobs are the only body part that doesn't get mashed by the trapeze. it's the only safe place for an mp3 player.)

I seriously recommend it! It's not big, like the size of a 3rd gen Ipod Nano, but a bit fatter :)

The sound quality is seriously good! I just put Bon Iver on, it sounds amazing!!

pasalacquaian

pasalacquaian
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 193 rep

I have an ipod nano and the sound quality is fine  :mellow: . What generation is yours?

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,083 rep

I have an ipod nano and the sound quality is fine  :mellow: . What generation is yours?
3rd gen. Have you tried comparing it with anything else? I didn't notice til I did.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,041 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,045 rep

The second newest one, so it's no bullshit. Sound is still completely shit compared to a phone or a creative zen.

Jean

Jean
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 3,825 rep

I have an iPod classic (filled with 16,000 songs...) I've had it since Christmas 2007 and it works and sounds fine to me. I had a mini before that but it died within a year (sad iPod face) of getting it... Although it was previously used when I got it. I don't think I'll upgrade my iPod anytime soon since it's the highest capacity mp3 player available right now (160gb). I'm waiting for the iPhones to have that capacity before I buy one.

pasalacquaian

pasalacquaian
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 193 rep
The second newest one, so it's no bullshit. Sound is still completely shit compared to a phone or a creative zen.

K, so I tried out my phone (it's a samsung galaxy discover) as an mp3 player, and the sound was so SO bad! I have never tried out a creative zen before...it's an mp3 player, right?

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

• 16,041 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,045 rep
K, so I tried out my phone (it's a samsung galaxy discover) as an mp3 player, and the sound was so SO bad! I have never tried out a creative zen before...it's an mp3 player, right?
it is. the point is, until you've tried a sII or sIII, you haven't heard good sound.

pasalacquaian

pasalacquaian
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 193 rep
3rd gen. Have you tried comparing it with anything else? I didn't notice til I did.

I compared it with my phone.....my iPod sounds amazing now :dry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users