RIP Sarah (f.k.a. Mike) Kirsch of Pinhead Gunpowder

bri1039

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The title of the thread should be changed (and the pronoun in the OP), she was known as Sarah Kirsch since she came out as a woman.

http://maximumrocknr...p-sarah-kirsch/ This site talks about the rare form of anemia she was fighting and all the support she got from the community.

Rest in peace, Sarah.

I only found out a couple days ago that she was now Sarah, and that she had been Ill. I know she left phgp on bad terms but she was still a founding member. Very sad news.

I didn't even know he had a sex change. Wow. And now she's dead. This is too much for me to handle right now, I mean what the heck? :mellow:

RIP

WHat? He Died!

RIP Sarah!!

Now Pinhead Gunpowder have a reason to play again or to relase new album or E.P.!

Just as a trans 101 note from somebody who identifies as trans* themself: please, please, please use correct pronouns. Sarah was a woman and I'd ask everyone to please respect that and refer to her as such. Also, the term "sex change" is outdated and implies that one's gender and sex have changed. "Gender confirmation surgery" is the preferred term. Also, identifying as trans* doesn't mean a person underwent surgery, many trans people choose not to for various reasons. Equating a gender identity with physical characteristics is problematic.

RIP Sarah.

I have never been the biggest PHGP fan (great band I've just never given much time to them) but still horrible to hear of Sarah's death. Anyone know what age she was?

Wait, it's a she? I don't get it :S

Edit: RIP Sarah, I've always loved Pinhead Gunpowder

No, she was a she.

Try googling transgender and do a little research. You're on the internet, it's all there for you to find.

Edit: RIP Sarah, I've always loved Pinhead Gunpowder

Someone might be born with all the male physical parts, but consider themselves female. This is what has happened here. You know the punk band Against Me? Their lead singer, formerly known as Tom Gabel is now Laura Jane Grace.

No, she was a she.

Try googling transgender and do a little research. You're on the internet, it's all there for you to find.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be disrespectful :S

Just as a trans 101 note from somebody who identifies as trans* themself: please, please, please use correct pronouns. Sarah was a woman and I'd ask everyone to please respect that and refer to her as such. Also, the term "sex change" is outdated and implies that one's gender and sex have changed. "Gender confirmation surgery" is the preferred term. Also, identifying as trans* doesn't mean a person underwent surgery, many trans people choose not to for various reasons. Equating a gender identity with physical characteristics is problematic.

RIP Sarah.

One thing is to respect people for who they are and what they choose, another is to be asked to pretend something hasn't happened or does not exist. I'm totally understanding of the common fact that this group of people in most cases identifies as the opposite sex of which they were born. A sex change is by definition the correct term in any case though, because to redefine the word "gender" because of a minority of people living in the borderlands of it, is too much to ask. When you meet or get to know a person who'd clearly appreciate being indentified as the opposite sex, then you would probably respect that out of decency, but if it's being forced on you by people somehow demanding it, then it's always gonna be an arkward subject for alot of people, and taboo in a way. I would compare it to the scenario of parents to a homosexual man having trouble with how to handle it, and then as a result referring to his lover as "his good friend", whenever it comes up. I think it's alright in a forum like this to use whatever pronoun you feel like, because the fact is he was a man who felt like a woman inside, and had a sex change operation, nothing more complicated than that. It's a much easier discussion if you accept topics like transsexuality and homosexuality to be normal in society but not the norm, and treat it as such.

I don't wanna seem insensitive here, I'm just really interested in the subject and have strong opinions about it.

And of course this is sad news about Sarah, I think it has sparked some interest in me to dig into Pinhead Gunpowder a little bit more.

I knew nothing of Kirsch before today, so forgive me from learning everything I now know about her from Wikipedia, but according to Wikipedia ( :P ) he left the band at the time because of philosophical differences/reservations about where Billie was going with Green Day and maybe some kind of punk disapproval? Anyone know about this? It's good to see Billie posted something so we know that there were no ill feelings there like in a Tim Yohanon sense.

Archived