Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Green Day NOT Nominated for A Grammy for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

SuperXCsabre495

SuperXCsabre495
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Joined May 29, 2012
  • 144 rep
I'm surprised to not see at least ¡Uno! in the "Best Rock Album" category. Mumford is in there and they are a Folk group so I'm confused there
  • chrism17 and BlackTim like this

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,772 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,632 rep

POPULAR

You're surprised because they're your favorite band? Or are you surprised because you're an objective music critic?
  • Stan Dellone, Trotsky, Velocity and 9 others like this

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep

POPULAR

Disappointing.

Oh well though. Wasn't really deserved this time around.
  • Stan Dellone, Supa Hot Fire, Doris The Spider and 3 others like this

Neon Light

Neon Light
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Joined Jan 22, 2010
  • 442 rep
This kinda sucks :S

SuperXCsabre495

SuperXCsabre495
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Joined May 29, 2012
  • 144 rep

You're surprised because they're your favorite band? Or are you surprised because you're a objective music critic?

I'm surprised only because they are usually nominated for Grammy's ever since American Idiot, so I basically expected for them to be nominated for something
  • gerardsangel4977, DannyDirnt, Ryan White and 1 other like this

Sausage Gravy

Sausage Gravy
  • all the way down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,537 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 8,714 rep
I don't think any albums from the trilogy were eligible though. Isn't there a cutoff date?

blitzkriegdeb

blitzkriegdeb
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,448 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2008
  • 1,350 rep

POPULAR

Not surprised. I'd be hard pressed to find someone outside of our little community who actually sat down with Uno (not even going to bring up Dos and Tre) and thought it was deserving of an award. The only real songs that could've been up anyways were Oh Love or Kill the DJ.

It's a shame, but it was kind of to be expected, especially with the band not being around, the lack of promotion, ect. Who knows though, maybe Tre will take off and they'll be at the 2013 Grammys.
  • gerardsangel4977, No Rhyme Or Reason, Homero and 3 others like this

SuperXCsabre495

SuperXCsabre495
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Joined May 29, 2012
  • 144 rep

I don't think any albums from the trilogy were eligible though. Isn't there a cutoff date?

I know at least ¡Uno! Could've been because Mumford's Babel is on there and they were released at the same time

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• 3,163 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 3,007 rep
I am extremely disappointed.

drrrnn

drrrnn
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2008
  • 21 rep

POPULAR

Green Day isn't exactly on Grammy radar in 2012. They're not the "it" thing at the moment and also... since when are the Grammy's an important award show?
  • Matt., westendriot, Mr. Dude and 7 others like this

jojo2323

jojo2323
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined Nov 27, 2012
  • 306 rep
the cutoff date is September 30th so uno would have been eligible but not dos

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,772 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,632 rep

POPULAR

The Grammys are turning into more of a joke every year. All it is is a popularity contest. I mean, look at these nominations. You honestly can't tell me an artist/group such as The Black Keys, fun. or Taylor Swift can possibly have the BEST song or album of the year out of all musicians. It's mainly just a Pop radio awards show. The real musicians don't get the attention they deserve. It's embarrassing. Winning a Grammy used to mean something fantastic. It's almost better if you don't win one now. That way, you're not associated with *that* crowd.

And no, I'm not bitter about Green Day not making it. Just fed up.
  • gerardsangel4977, Florence, themissingxkid and 19 others like this

DxBecks

DxBecks
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined Dec 03, 2012
  • 4 rep
Don't really feel like Uno! is worthy of Grammy Award (at least conceptually because **** albums that are magnitudes worse than Uno! win awards at the Grammy Awards).

spacesauce

spacesauce
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined Jul 01, 2012
  • 112 rep
Rock/Alternative had a really strong year. It's not that surprising, nor was the album necessarily deserving (yes, I typed that out loud). Dos or Tre might get something next year.

El Camino and Blunderbuss were two of my favorites this year so I'm thrilled that I'll have lots to watch for this year.

Jean

Jean
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 3,832 rep
Yeah it sucks it wasn't nominated. But I thought I read somewhere that the label counted the albums all together. So maybe all three could be nominated next year.

I'm glad the Black Keys are nominated. ♥

Advertising

BlackBaboon

BlackBaboon
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Joined Dec 19, 2010
  • 132 rep
Tre should probably get nominated next year. Like someone else said only Uno! was eligible and I'm glad it didn't get nominated because it would have felt more like a ceremonial act than a deserving one.

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep

The Grammys are turning into more of a joke every year. All it is is a popularity contest. I mean, look at these nominations. You honestly can't tell me an artist/group such as The Black Keys, fun. or Taylor Swift can possibly have the BEST song or album of the year out of all musicians. It's mainly just a Pop radio awards show. The real musicians don't get the attention they deserve. It's embarrassing. Winning a Grammy used to mean something fantastic. It's almost better if you don't win one now. That way, you're not associated with *that* crowd.

And no, I'm not bitter. Just fed up.

Black Keys are great.
  • Velocity, KarlyLovesGD and lawlblaze like this

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,772 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,632 rep

Black Keys are great.

Please, support your statement.
  • TheGrouch33 and Céadóg like this

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,987 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,519 rep
I like The Black Keys, but I mean to be completely honest I couldn't tell you the difference between one of their songs and any song from one of the countless other indie/blues bands. They all sound the same and I am genuinely flabbergasted at why they seem to be the shining image of originality right now. I think because Green Day has always been such a popular mainstream band that them not getting a nomination is a bit of a shock to the system, but like others have said the Grammys are basically just a joke. An excuse to circlejerk.

TL;DR I don't really care :lol:

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• 3,020 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 752 rep
I think fun. deserves the nomination, Some Nights is a fucking great album and in my top picks of the year. I liked UNO better, though. That's just because.... ya know, Green Day is fucking awesome.

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep

Please, support your statement.

I thought that El Camino was a great, rocking album that was very on point. Just dig them a lot, and I have no idea how you could put them in the same category as Fun and T-Swift, even though I agree on your point that the grammy's are a joke now (2 Chainz and Rozy nominated for rap album of the year?

Also, the fact that The Black Keys could mesh so easily with the RZA on the Man with the Iron Fists soundtrack shows how versatile of a band they can be. I think they're a respectable band.

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 961 rep
If the cutoff date was indeed September 30, I don't think Uno was good enough. It was a good album, but not Grammy material. Tre on the other hand is right up that alley and I think deserves at least Best Rock Album nomination.

spacesauce

spacesauce
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined Jul 01, 2012
  • 112 rep
Actually looking at the list, it could have been much worse. In years past there's been Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Jonas Brothers.

Sure this year you have fun (which IMO is what pop music should be like more often than not), Kelly Clarkson (at least she can sing circles around most people), Call Me Maybe (ok...no defense for this one), but there are a lot of legit nominees in the top categories even if they're not my personal favorites.
  • Matt., No Rhyme Or Reason and lawlblaze like this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
I could care less if Green Day gets nominated for a Grammy. Hell they don't even care, the only person who would be disappointed would be Tre since he wouldn't get a new bong.
  • drrrnn likes this

Schlappy

Schlappy
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Joined Jul 07, 2010
  • 2,284 rep
Not surprised really. Though I wish they could have played the show. I would have been more surprised if they werent asked to perform if the whole rehab thing didnt go down. When Green Day do come back, they need to come back in a big way to get this trilogy rolling again. The grammys would have been a good event for that.

As for the legitimacy of the grammys, forget the music for a second and just look at the red carpet. I always laughed when green day would walk down in their suits and ties and shinny shoes then fuckin jbeebs would follow in a t shirt and basketball shoes or the black eyed peas in cargo pants or gaga in meat. its a joke.
... oh yeah and theres the music too

drrrnn

drrrnn
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined Feb 21, 2008
  • 21 rep

And no, I'm not bitter. Just fed up.

Black Keys? yes. They make great music. The real problem with the Grammy's is that music is so expansive and coming out of every walk of life. It's much easier to figure out what they best film of the year is , or at least come close. They aren't perfect but at least it's something almost measurably close. The grammy's don't reflect music as a whole. But that being said, awards like that... kinda bullshit. Can't put much into them.

xLumian

xLumian
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2011
  • 40 rep
Saw that coming, Tre does belong on their though. It probably wasnt eligable.

It really sucks though. Tre is an amazing album and no ones going to hear it because no one knows about the trilogy or stopped listening after Uno :'(

Velocity

Velocity
  • The Diamond Church Street Choir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 762 rep

POPULAR

I like how when Green Day gets nominated for a Grammy everyone freaks out over how big a deal it is, and when they're not nominated for one people say, "well, the Grammys are a shitty award ceremony anyway"
  • Matt., EmmaCharlatan&Saints, No Rhyme Or Reason and 2 others like this

ThisMoonlife

ThisMoonlife
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined Oct 03, 2012
  • 16 rep

You're surprised because they're your favorite band? Or are you surprised because you're a objective music critic?

an objective music critic. not a objective music critic.
  • Mr. Dude and Misterglasshalfempty like this

1039SweetChildren

1039SweetChildren
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2005
  • 395 rep
Oh well... Next time! (As in next album, of course.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users