Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

building a guitar

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep
i am thinking about building a new guitar (i already have a few) and thought that someone/ some people on here must have already done it so do you have any advice/ links to get parts/ good design, as i have not really chose one yet.

ps sorry mods if this is in the wrong place

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,498 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,824 rep
This should probably go in the Help/Advice sub-forum.

Anyway, use wood. Makes the guitar sound like a guitar.

Jimmy Strummer

Jimmy Strummer
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2009
  • 196 rep
My advice: it's an interesting project to undertake, but be prepared to pay high prices for materials. I looked into it too and honestly, if you're looking to build a really good quality guitar, you'll pay just as much as, if not more than, you would for an already-manufactured guitar done by professionals. It's up to you.

With that said, every single solitary part of a guitar counts, from the tuning keys to the pickups. Choose your parts carefully, ask the sales associates at the guitar shop you buy supplies from, get as much info as you can. Major parts to focus on are tonewood, hardware, pickups, wiring, strings, and all parts that have to do with tuning/intonation.
  • alien97 likes this

xLumian

xLumian
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2011
  • 40 rep

My advice: it's an interesting project to undertake, but be prepared to pay high prices for materials. I looked into it too and honestly, if you're looking to build a really good quality guitar, you'll pay just as much as, if not more than, you would for an already-manufactured guitar done by professionals. It's up to you.

With that said, every single solitary part of a guitar counts, from the tuning keys to the pickups. Choose your parts carefully, ask the sales associates at the guitar shop you buy supplies from, get as much info as you can. Major parts to focus on are tonewood, hardware, pickups, wiring, strings, and all parts that have to do with tuning/intonation.

This, and btw, for me the absolute most important component of a guitar is the pickup! - dont skimp out on that! Get the best that you can afford. The pickup can "make" or "break" the sound quality of your guitar

Edited by xLumian, 05 December 2012 - 09:04 PM.

Jimmy Strummer

Jimmy Strummer
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2009
  • 196 rep

This, and btw, for me the absolute most important component of a guitar is the pickup! - dont skimp out on that! Get the best that you can afford. The pickup can "make" or "break" the sound quality of your guitar

Absolutely, and there are so many types of pickups to choose from, and so many different manufacturers' versions of said types. It all depends on what sound you want. Also keep in mind that your amp is integral to your sound as well. The way I see it, or at least the way Mitch-PTV explained it to me, is there's a common misconception about the guitar in regards to tone. Guitar adds character and shapes the color of your tone, but the majority of your sound comes from the amp, not the other way around.

And different pickups and guitars react to different amps. A P-90 equipped Junior will sound different through a Vox AC30 than it will through a Fender Blues Deluxe. I learned that when I was trying to find a new guitar to add to my arsenal, but nothing with a P-90 worked well enough with my Vox VT30. Make sure the guitar you buy (or build) will sound crystal clear and exactly the way you want it to sound through different amps.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,813 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,463 rep
Electric or acoustic? Electric's way easier.

From parts or scratch? Parts is also way easier.

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

Electric or acoustic? Electric's way easier.

From parts or scratch? Parts is also way easier.

Electric and I don't know if I will do it from scratch or parts most likely get a body, neck/head and pick ups and build it fromthere

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,813 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,463 rep
Yeah, that's the best way to start. Pretty easy too, you basically just have to paint it if it's not painted already, bolt the stuff together, solder the electrics and screw everything else on.

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep
Does any one no whereicsn get parts cheep

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,813 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,463 rep
eBay. Craigslist. Warmoth.

Tre's Lost Testicle

Tre's Lost Testicle
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined Dec 13, 2011
  • 133 rep
If I was you, I would check into this website called guitarfetish.com , They have the best parts for building guitars with, (as well as prefab bodies and necks) and they sell them to the consumer at the price that it would be sold to the shops at. Really high quality gear, from pickups and tuning pegs to bridges and volume knobs, everything is there.
  • A Basket Case likes this

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

If I was you, I would check into this website called guitarfetish.com , They have the best parts for building guitars with, (as well as prefab bodies and necks) and they sell them to the consumer at the price that it would be sold to the shops at. Really high quality gear, from pickups and tuning pegs to bridges and volume knobs, everything is there.

thanks

LudeBoy

LudeBoy
  • thei see me tverkin' thei haytin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011
  • 574 rep

i am thinking about building a new guitar (i already have a few) and thought that someone/ some people on here must have already done it so do you have any advice/ links to get parts/ good design, as i have not really chose one yet.

ps sorry mods if this is in the wrong place

i'm a guitar builder!!

would you be starting from scratch or pre fabricated kits?

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

i'm a guitar builder!!

would you be starting from scratch or pre fabricated kits?

most likely prefab at first but depends on what gdc thinks is easier

LudeBoy

LudeBoy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011
  • 574 rep

most likely prefab at first but depends on what gdc thinks is easier

building from scratch takes a lot of time, money, tools, machines. check out some of theses places for prefab parts.

http://www.warmoth.com/
http://www.allparts.com/
http://www.stewmac.com/

and here is an album with 2 of my guitar builds from scratch.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9906295/

let me know if there's anything i can help with.

Advertising

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

building from scratch takes a lot of time, money, tools, machines. check out some of theses places for prefab parts.

http://www.warmoth.com/
http://www.allparts.com/
http://www.stewmac.com/

and here is an album with 2 of my guitar builds from scratch.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9906295/

let me know if there's anything i can help with.

any that let you build gibsons

LudeBoy

LudeBoy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011
  • 574 rep

any that let you build gibsons

unfortunately i don't know of anyone that does. gibson is really big on trademarks, copyrights, ect. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users