Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

I loved the albums tho I feel Uno and Tre are the more cohesive albums Dos has some better songs than Uno but as an album feels just thrown together so Uno gets a slight more points to me

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After about one and a half day of intense listening to Tré, now I'm gonna do something I've been looking forward to.

I'm gonna put all 37 songs on shuffle in my iTunes for the very first time! I hope to explore new ways to combine the songs, to set them in a new context.

After about one and a half day of intense listening to Tré, now I'm gonna do something I've been looking forward to.

I'm gonna put all 37 songs on shuffle in my iTunes for the very first time! I hope to explore new ways to combine the songs, to set them in a new context.

Dude, that is THE BEST way to listen to these songs. It's incredible. I tried it last night and was amazed. My new favorite thing to do is to put See You Tonight it front of random songs, some of the results are pretty hilarious.

Dude, that is THE BEST way to listen to these songs. It's incredible. I tried it last night and was amazed. My new favorite thing to do is to put See You Tonight it front of random songs, some of the results are pretty hilarious.

Haha, that makes me imagine some kind of mad scientist fucking around with different chemicals, just to be amused with what kind of weird reactions he can get from it. :lol:

I don't think anyone has the needed insight to use the term "C&V feel" based on two songs not even in the original studio version.

I wasn't basing the feel off the two songs, I based the feel off a cross between Warning and American Idiot. You can do that with any album. For example, Kerplunk is a cross between 39/Smooth and Dookie. Nimrod is a cross between Insomniac and Warning. You can do that with any album, it works with C&V too.

I wasn't basing the feel off the two songs, I based the feel off a cross between Warning and American Idiot. You can do that with any album. For example, Kerplunk is a cross between 39/Smooth and Dookie. Nimrod is a cross between Insomniac and Warning. You can do that with any album, it works with C&V too.

So iUNO! is a mix between 21st Century Breakdown and iDOS!? I just don't see the logic in that, the albums are definitely progressing through the years, but not necessarily in a straight line, that would mean that everything Green Day does next is already decided in advance by their previous album.

My collection now :) I'm so proud of it!

Trilogy.JPG

You have tre?

Is there a sticker on it?

With the "singels"? :D

You have tre?

Is there a sticker on it?

With the "singels"? :D

Yeah i do! i don't understand how it is possible that i found it in our CD shop today xD i live in middle europe, didn't expect it at all O.o

and yes! it says:

Features "X-Kid" "8th Avenue Serenade" and ""99 Revolutions" :)

Yeah i do! i don't understand how it is possible that i found it in our CD shop today xD i live in middle europe, didn't expect it at all O.o

and yes! it says:

Features "X-Kid" "8th Avenue Serenade" and ""99 Revolutions" :)

X-Kid and 99 Revolutions? That is just..awesome :DD Thanks for the info.

I think 99 Revolutions will be the "big" single, like Oh Love

But I hope it's X-Kid :D

After listening to ¡TRÉ! a few times I felt this is really epic, I loved every song on the album and I'm still trying to figure out which one is my favorite, I'm no expert doing reviews but I'm gonna quote the songs I liked the most, I think the one that really stucked on me was:

"Dirty rotten bastards" I really cannot wait any longer for Green Day to come back and rock the fuck out of this song, 'cause it is a great singalong even when the first verses could remind anyone of "Shoplifter".

"Brutal Love" caught me by surprise, it's just a beautiful ballad and I related to the lyrics like if they just decide to drop a song about me the very moment I need it.

"X-Kid" I really didn't get how everybody was saying this is one of the best songs they've made, guess it was because I hear the preview in the QUATRO documentary at a bad timing, but now that I listened to the full song it is definetly gonna become one of my favorites songs, the style feels like it's a brother of the song "Waiting" and I love it.

"Sex, drugs & violence" I thought the rhytm would be a little different, some people say the chorus sucks but this one is a rocker that could've been on nimrod. it's funnily perfect and even more with Mike's line -I don't wanna be an imbecile but Jesus made me that way- boy that is good I wish he singed more than that.

With "Amanda" someone said it's like "Sweet 16" and I'm like hell no, it's very catchy and interesting given the story I heard about this girl breaking up with BJ just because he signed to Warner and then she went to Ecuador 'cause she didn't want to become comercial, whatever the full story story is it's an interesting tune.

And as for the other songs, I loved them all, "Missing you" and "8th Avenue Seranade are like ¡UNO! sound, I always loved the acoustic version of "Drama Queen" back in 2010, but I see how this fits better on this album rather than in ¡DOS!, with "Little boy named train" I expected more, but it's souds to me like something that could fit on Kerplunk, and that makes it enjoyable, vintage feel, I still need more listens so this will grow on me, "Walk away" it's reflective and simply good. "99 Revolutions" is also not bad at all, the drums sounded to me exactly like "Lazy Bones" but man, at the end of the song it made me feel very excited like if I was at a show singing this with the band, it's a nice song. Finally, this was the first time I listened to "The Forgotten" and well... no words, this is the hit of the trilogy in my own opinion, the hit single, not really digged that they released it for Twilight but anyway, it's one of the best songs they ever made, at least for me this song will be with me for several years. This is my opinion, I'm gonna miss the waiting for a new Green Day album every two months, I hope we don't have to wait 4 or 5 years to get a new album, but this is just the beginning, next year I'm sure we'll have the best tour EVER.

And out of topic, I imagined how it would've been if they just released ONE album, and now that we have all 37 songs, this tracklist it's the one I think could make one epic as hell album:

1. Nuclear Family

2. Stay the night

3. Let yourself go

4. Kill the DJ

5. Stop when the red lights flash

6. Lazy Bones

7. Ashley

8. Baby Eyes

9. Nightlife

10. Stray Heart

11. Wow, that's loud

12. Brutal Love

13. X-Kid

14. Sex, Drugs & Violence

15. Dirty Rotten Bastards

16. The Forgotten

Probably gonna listen these songs in this order once or twice but the whole trilogy, IT'S JUST PERFECT. Peace bros ;)

So iUNO! is a mix between 21st Century Breakdown and iDOS!? I just don't see the logic in that, the albums are definitely progressing through the years, but not necessarily in a straight line, that would mean that everything Green Day does next is already decided in advance by their previous album.

Yeah. Compare Murder City and Nuclear Family. or Horseshoes and Handgrenades to Loss of Control. Peacemaker has that expirementation of Kill the DJ. Last Night on Earth Sweet 16 maybe? Or you could even count the trilogy as one album, it has 3 acts just like 21st century, and you could compare American Eulogy and Dirty Rotten Bastards, or Static Age and Sex, Drugs n Violence. Song of the century See you tonight. This is how I see it, you don't have to look at it the same way, but you can

X-Kid and 99 Revolutions? That is just..awesome :DD Thanks for the info.

I think 99 Revolutions will be the "big" single, like Oh Love

But I hope it's X-Kid :D

No problem! I also think Xkid and 99 rev are excellent choices for singles :D

I don't see how anybody can possible rate Uno above Tre. Uno is a lyrical and musical mess, with the closest tracks to filler on the entire trilogy. Loss of Control and Angel Blue are just such standard songs, and there isn't even a hint of Green Day in Troublemake. Tre, on the other hand, has some of the best material the band has released in years. Songs like Brutal Love, X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards really are the definition of epic.

For me (and most people I've talked to) Uno < Dos < Tre.

I think people nowadays are ADD riddled, and can't stand anything that's musically sonic, subtle, or slower paced. Everything has to be fast and bright. Subtley is becoming a vestigial trait, and iTre! is probably Green Day's most subtle album they've ever recorded.

I said this in another thread, but it would've been more useful for this one.

Favorite songs from the trilogy: Let Yourself Go, Rusty James, Oh Love (Yes, I love oh love), Makeout Party, Stray Heart, Lazy Bones, Fuck Time, and Brutal Love.

Overall I'm happy with the trilogy. Out of the 37 songs, there are only 8 or 9 songs I don't care about so that's a great thing! My rating for the trilogy would go like this:

Dos: 4.5/5

Uno: 4/5

Tre: 3.5/5

Like I said, there's only about 8 or 9 songs I don't like so I believe the trilogy was a success and i appreciate Green day for giving us three albums in a short time span. It may not have been a success sales-wise, but overall, for me, the trilogy was a success.

But then I look at your tracklisting thinking, where the hell is 'Dirty Rotten Bastards', 'Nuclear Family', 'Lazy Bones', 'Stay The Night' and for god's sake, two of my personal favorites 'Baby Eyes' and 'X-Kid'!? I also look at it and think, if I could only get 13 songs, then why the hell would I choose 'See You Tonight', 'Lady Cobra' or 'Wild One'? So in the end, when each of us can listen to our individual favorites how we wish, can you really say the trilogy was a mistake in any way? If you enjoy more than a third of the 37 songs, and say the trilogy was a flop, I think you have misunderstood the whole idea behind it.

Ah, how can I put this...

I'm willing to bet a handsome stack of money that there are is a sizable amount of Green Day songs from past albums that never made it off the drawing board, and had they been released, would have ended up on the favourites list of a lot of people. To a reasonable degree, they could release anything and have a decent number of people love it. But the point of releasing an album isn't to put out "anything", it's to release a collection of songs that you think are all five star, out of the park gems,. Every sub-par track diminishes the strength of an album.

What I was expecting was a collection of songs that varied so greatly in their sound that one album sounded nothing like the other and people would have different favourite albums depending on their different tastes. I've seen other bands take on similar projects and maybe I think it's a flop because I'm comparing it to them. In terms of differentiation of sound and overall good-great song track return, The Color Spectrum from last year (36 tracks) is a standard I was expecting to at least have been met, and it wasn't. I don't think it's any coincidence that Nightlife is one of my favourites from the trilogy; I expected them to go that out there in every single track and further, and they didn't. For the most part, they stuck to what's safe, and deviated only when necessary.

aand that was way too long and way too tangential and I don't even know where that went so tl;dr Trilogy was a mistake because the standard of music just isn't present.

Uno is really good, Dos is really bad, Tre is really blah. Those are my thoughts on the trilogy as a whole. I really appreciate the band doing three albums in a row, but given the reviews and, more importantly, the sales figures, I wonder if they might've been better served dropping 10 songs or so and doing a double-album instead of a trilogy of single albums.

I just have difficulty processing the fact that we received 3 fucking albums. I have no perspective on it, I think it's impossible to process that much in such a short period of time. I also really struggle with the fact that when I'm underwhelmed by a song on one of the albums, it could so easily be a song I admire off of Nimrod or Insomniac. Like, I have no problem with songs like Jinx and Westbound Sign and Bab's Uvula Who and Prosthetic Head, but I get bored to death with SWTRLF and Lady Cobra? There's nothing THAT different between the awesomeness of most of these songs and Green Day's past material... most of it IS standard-issue Green Day, and if I were going into their back catalogue for the first time right now and discovering these trilogy songs for the first time as elements of their past, I'd find them to be like buried treasures. But because I now live in the PRESENT of Green Day's production, I go in with so much anticipation and unstated expectations that I'm not even aware of that I can't even appreciate them as I would.

My point: well shit, I have no idea. I don't even think it's fair for me to think about the trilogy for another ten years. I need sleep. Hell, I'm still basically opinionless on 21CB.

I am bored so i made this :lol:

Different Uno

https://dl.dropbox.c...fferent Uno.png

Different Dos

https://dl.dropbox.c...fferent Dos.png

Different Tré 1

https://dl.dropbox.c...ferent Tré.png

Different Tré 2

https://dl.dropbox.c...erent Tre 2.png

What do you think? :P

Different Uno, Different Dos and Different Tré 1 should have been the actual covers!

Say what you want about the trilogy, but I would say that harmony-wise, the trilogy is Green Day at the top of their game

People should just pick he best album out of the 3, imagine that was the only official album we got, then look at the other two albums as lovley green day extras because who doesn't like anything green day makes?

It's seriously amazing how a band can go from a song like Strageland to Brutal Love. This trilogy shows so much growth.

Archived