Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

Something I've seen posted and agree with a great deal, is that all three of these albums would be praised as amazing and great albums, if they weren't Green Day albums. Pretty much every Green Day album have been near masterpieces. Every album in the trilogy is fantastic! Just not masterpieces. Every band who has had a 4 or 5 or more album career has an album or two that don't really strike a strong chord with people. Take U2 for example. they will un-doubtably go into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while they had a time period where they almost completely changed their style, which pleased a lot of people, and displeased a lot of people. The trilogy has sold just short of 1 million records (correct me if im wrong) which is no small feat, even if it is a low for Green Day. 80% percent of the songs on the trilogy are simply GOOD, or GREAT songs. Nearly every song Green Day has realeased have met most peoples expectations, or surpassed them. This is certainly not Green Days best realease, but its a fuckin great one. Rage and Love ! \m/

In immediate hindsight, things didn't go well with this trilogy. ¡Uno! is good, ¡Dos! is probably Green Day's worst album and ¡Tre! saves the trilogy from being a complete disaster. Imagine if they had just whittled down ¡Uno! and ¡Tre! into a double album, or a 16 song album, and released ¡Dos! as the Foxboro Hot Tubs. That probably would have worked better. Stray Heart is great, but it's basically Mother Mary and Wow! That's Loud is 27th Ave Shuffle 2.0.

¡Uno! and ¡Tre! could have had this tracklisting:

1. Nuclear Family
  2. Stay The Night
  3. Carpe Diem
  4. Let Yourself Go
  5. Missing You
  6. X-Kid
  7. Sex, Drugs & Violence
  8. Walk Away
  9. Fell For You
  10. Angel Blue
  11. Brutal Love
  12. Sweet 16
  13. Rusty James
  14. Dirty, Rotten Bastards
  15. 99 Revolutions
  16. The Forgotten

Also, if the band was in a healthy state and out promoting this whole thing, things may have gone better. But, they will return and it will be glorious.

Perfect ^

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I've seen posted and agree with a great deal, is that all three of these albums would be praised as amazing and great albums, if they weren't Green Day albums. Pretty much every Green Day album have been near masterpieces. Every album in the trilogy is fantastic! Just not masterpieces. Every band who has had a 4 or 5 or more album career has an album or two that don't really strike a strong chord with people. Take U2 for example. they will un-doubtably go into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while they had a time period where they almost completely changed their style, which pleased a lot of people, and displeased a lot of people. The trilogy has sold just short of 1 million records (correct me if im wrong) which is no small feat, even if it is a low for Green Day. 80% percent of the songs on the trilogy are simply GOOD, or GREAT songs. Nearly every song Green Day has realeased have met most peoples expectations, or surpassed them. This is certainly not Green Days best realease, but its a fuckin great one. Rage and Love ! \m/

Perfect ^

I don't agree at all. If a new band released these three albums in such quick succession which wouldn't happen they probably would be praised for their diversity but that's because these would all be fresh sounds. Many of the tracks on the trilogy are just rehashed old green day songs and whether you like it or not that's points against a band. Also if a band like bad religion or arcade fire two groups on opposite ends of the spectrum released these albums they would be reviled by fans. This is mostly good music not great an not awful. Tre by itself with maybe one or two songs from UNO and dos would be impressive but the filler on the three albums just devalues the whole thing.

I think collectively they set new standards (while breaking the old), once again redefining what "Green Day" is. The spirit of the band is a common thread that holds the whole trilogy together, but there is such great variation, playing with old rock and new styles. The trilogy sets up another great era in the music of Green Day, and I think that era will get its due, when the band is back in full swing.

I am happy that these three albums were released as a trilogy as opposed to just three separate albums, however I was not a big fan of Tre. Like Uno was really good, and I thought Dos was just amazing, and I was looking forward to an even better Tre, but that just didn't happen for me. I felt like the energy was lost in Tre.

Again, I am not going to complain too much. I mean 37 new green day songs in a span of three months would make any fan happy, and it wasn't like they released just rushed, put together songs. These songs were of quality; it's just that I wasn't a big fan of some of them >.<

I don't agree at all. If a new band released these three albums in such quick succession which wouldn't happen they probably would be praised for their diversity but that's because these would all be fresh sounds. Many of the tracks on the trilogy are just rehashed old green day songs and whether you like it or not that's points against a band. Also if a band like bad religion or arcade fire two groups on opposite ends of the spectrum released these albums they would be reviled by fans. This is mostly good music not great an not awful. Tre by itself with maybe one or two songs from UNO and dos would be impressive but the filler on the three albums just devalues the whole thing.

thank you for your opinion. also the little "perfect^" at the end of my post was a mistake and meant for another post. haha i dont think my opinion is perfect at all. i actually misphrased it horribly. :unsure: oops

Yeah, I don't want to come off as complaining either because I am incredibly grateful for three Green Day album's. I've had such a stressful semester and knowing that I had three new Green Day releases to look forward to really kept me going.

I love the trilogy, but it would have also been a lot more epic if the guys were able to promote it...and be on ellen, jimmy kimmel, etc. The album release show and all of the shows they couldn't play. It would have added so much excitement to the whole idea of 3 albums. I know they'll do it once they're able to, it just sucks they couldn't when the albums were each being released. Oh well.

Yeah agreed, the records are great but I am not used to having just the music, and the only thing to talk about is the music, and people's interpretations of it... Nothing really coming from the band, no exchange between them and the fans, etc... The excitement is impossible to match even for the die-hards like us, without the television performances, interviews, and other fun little things.

I agree it's less exciting with nothing else happening... though today I was in Best Buy and literally all the big HDTVs had trilogy commercials on them and Green Day studio footage I hadn't seen... that was pretty exciting.

Mike Dirnt was not joking when he said this was going to be their Exile on Main St.; I have a strong gut feeling that this trilogy is going to age extremely well.

I agree it's less exciting with nothing else happening... though today I was in Best Buy and literally all the big HDTVs had trilogy commercials on them and Green Day studio footage I hadn't seen... that was pretty exciting.

Yeah, but it still just isn't the same. I mean, don't get me wrong, the music is plenty capable of standing on its own and it certainly creates a lot of excitement for me. Nothing is taken away from the music.

Mike Dirnt was not joking when he said this was going to be their Exile on Main St.; I have a strong gut feeling that this trilogy is going to age extremely well.

I agree, these songs will be classics.

Yeah, but it still just isn't the same. I mean, don't get me wrong, the music is plenty capable of standing on its own and it certainly creates a lot of excitement for me. Nothing is taken away from the music.

I agree, these songs will be classics.

I just can't wait to hear these babies live. I mean, can you imagine the band playing something like Sex, Drugs & Violence, Angel Blue, or Dirty Rotten Bastards live? Venues would be absolutely torn to shreds.

I just can't wait to hear these babies live. I mean, can you imagine the band playing something like Sex, Drugs & Violence, Angel Blue, or Dirty Rotten Bastards live? Venues would be absolutely torn to shreds.

I know, I was thinking about that. Those will be epic. Well, some of the straight-ups like Angel Blue would just run through probably, get the crowd bouncing and all that... I'm looking forward to Dirty Rotten Bastards if they do that one...

I know, I was thinking about that. Those will be epic. Well, some of the straight-ups like Angel Blue would just run through probably, get the crowd bouncing and all that... I'm looking forward to Dirty Rotten Bastards if they do that one...

DRB is great because it definitely has that arena quality. Those other songs though will be killer for the energy, I just imagine a blaze going absolutely electric with those uptempo songs and then going ablaze when they hit the epic shit.

DRB is great because it definitely has that arena quality. Those other songs though will be killer for the energy, I just imagine a blaze going absolutely electric with those uptempo songs and then going ablaze when they hit the epic shit.

Yeah, for sure.

Epic trilogy is epic :D.

Yeah agreed, the records are great but I am not used to having just the music, and the only thing to talk about is the music, and people's interpretations of it... Nothing really coming from the band, no exchange between them and the fans, etc... The excitement is impossible to match even for the die-hards like us, without the television performances, interviews, and other fun little things.

yeah, it kind of breaks my heart a little bit for the guys just cause i knew they were really looking forward to it. well once they get back on the road, i know it'll be a good time...it's just the waiting that sucks.

My thoughts:

I loved Uno! from my first playthrough and on. It got better for me the more I listened to it and I'm still not disappointed. Loss of Control is a bit meh, but other than that, all of it is different and all of it is memorable. Was looking forward to what was to come if this was the quality of just ONE of three albums.

Dos! First playthrough...ehhhhh. Still haven't fully come to love it but I like more than half of the album.

Tre! I seriously can't wrap my head around what is so special about this album. I've tried listening to it 5 times and I've only warmed up to a few of the songs. X-Kid is great. Missing you isn't bad but it's basically fell for you using different progressions and tracking. 8th avenue serenade's intro was pretty much already done and the song doesn't really have anything to it to make it memorable. Drama queen, at first I hated it but I've warmed up to it now. Sex Drugs and Violence isn't bad, but Green Day can pump out songs like this in their sleep (this actually applies to like half of the trilogy). A little boy named train. Boring. Have heard it 5 times and if it's not playing I can't remember what it sounds like. Amanda...was this written right after Ashley or something? Walk away. Absolutely nothing innovative here. I get the point of the song, but they've done this theme before and they did it better. Dirty Rotten Bastards, I adore the first 2 minutes and then it just...takes these weird twists and turns. 99 revolutions...i'd like this more if they haven't overdone the political statement song to to death before. The Forgotten is my favorite song from the trilogy. As far as ballads go (September, Good Riddance, etc.) I think this is the best of their career. My problem with Tre is the same problem I had with Dos! only worse. There were some good songs, but then for the most part, the rest of the songs sound like re-hashed versions of songs already on Uno! or songs they've already done in the past. They're nothing new and they're nothing special. But like I said, if I was to put together a UnoDosTre playlist with all the songs that I consider great additions to the Green Day [discography, I'd have more than an album's worth, so I don't consider this project a failure I just don't love all the songs and I think if we give it enough time most of you won't be in love with as many songs as you are now. It's like a brand new toy kind of thing.

Just a bit of a chart update.... I looked at Global Music Charts and added up the weekly sales for Uno and Dos (until Uno dropped off the Top 40 charts, in which case it obviously kept selling, but we don't know how many and not many...) Before Uno dropped off the charts the week Dos was released, it sold a total of 655,000 worldwide. Dos has sold 272,000 copies. So after this week with the release of Tre, (provided Tre sells at least 30,000 copies worldwide in its opening week, which it sure as hell will...) the trilogy as a whole will have sold 1 million albums, which I think is an accomplishment in a three month period considering the obvious diminishing returns and media lull. I can't imagine Warner being disappointed either, considering these as one album and marketing them as such.

After hearing Tre, I can now post my opinion on the trilogy.

Green Day is the only band that has the balls to drop a 3 albums, and yeah, gotta admire the ambition that Green Day has. That argument really only goes so far though.

Uno was a great album for what it was, stepping away from the serious tone and rock opera angle for just fun music. I'm a big fan of Uno, especially Sweet 16, Nuclear Family, and Troublemaker. The only problem with these songs, which is a problem for the whole trilogy, is that something is lacking. I thought I would have loved Rusty James WAY more, but no, something is missing. I don't know what.

Dos was a flop. It really was. Fuck Time, Nightlife, Stop When the Red Lights Flash are some of the band's worst material, which brings me to the main argument of the trilogy. Yes, were getting so much material, but when an entire albums seems like it was completely phoned in and wasn't very good, it defeats the purpose. Dos has some gems (Stray Heart, Baby Eyes, Wow! That's Loud), but the album could have been SO much better if they actually made a second Foxboro Hottubs album, incorporating more of a psychedelic feel, especially with songs like Red Tide and Broadway. Could have been way better.

Tre is great. Really great. Some songs are once again lacking, especially with a song like Missing You, like please change the guitar tone, sounds identical to the Uno vibe, and I thought that they would have experimented a little more since they dubbed it the "epic" album, as a bunch of the songs sound like they could be on Uno, but fuck it. These songs are great. Brutal Love is one of the best song's they've ever made.

Overall, the trilogy was around a 7/10 for me. I respect Green Day so much for doing something like this, but they really should have just made a single album with 16-18 tracks, and it would have been one of their best albums easily. It is what it is though, and I can't wait to see what Billie Joe has been cooking up while he's been in rehab.

So I finally have Tre and I must say I'm really happy with Trilogy. I can honestly say that there isn't a single song that I don't like. Yeah, I like some more than others, but at least they're all songs that I will listen to when listen to the album. I feel like there are so many different sides to the band on these albums, some that we've seen before like the bratiness found on UNO and some that we haven't seen like the funky track "Kill the DJ" or the soulful "Brutal Love." There are also some somber, serious moments like "The Forgotten" or "Amy" that shows it's not all a party for the band. But what I like most about the trilogy is that they seemed to have fun. I like that there's not a concept that's supposed to hold all the albums together. It was just them making good music. I guess it could've been better but I really don't know how aside from Green Day being able to promote it more.

Overall, it exceeded my expectations and I'm really happy with all the music we got from this year. I just miss seeing the guys play the music and I know they gotta miss seeing their fan's reactions when hearing the new stuff live. But let's just hope they'll be back on it next year.

Remember that time we filled 100+ pages of a thread talking about "Oh Love"? Yeah, that really happened.

Can't even fathom doing that over the best songs on the trilogy.

Remember that time we filled 100+ pages of a thread talking about "Oh Love"? Yeah, that really happened.

It was the first single, people were pumped!

What a disappointment that was though, hahah that song was incredibly underwhelming the first listen.

Stop you are bringing the nostalgia back.

It was the first single, people were pumped!

What a disappointment that was though, hahah that song was incredibly underwhelming the first listen.

Yeah it was.

I was surprised that they chose a slow-grower as a first single.

The song is strong, but it has to mature and that is a death sentence on the charts (strangely it did alright in the end)

Yeah it was.

I was surprised that they chose a slow-grower as a first single.

The song is strong, but it has to mature and that is a death sentence on the charts (strangely it did alright in the end)

Green Day has been horrible lately with choosing singles (Stray Heart is an exception).

Archived