Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

I played the shit out of it back in the day. Got it again recently, still so much fun. Still knew my way straight to the club and proceeded to go inside and beat the shit out of everyone :lol: Also still knew all the songs on Emotion fm. "i am fernado martinez" :toocool:

Lol. They have it for ipod now. ANyone wanna buy me an itunes gift card? I torrented it, but the app keeps failing to install on my ipod and my iphone

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Green Day will be getting any new fans with the trilogy.

The promotion has been god awful and it hurts when the band hasn't been doing any interviews or guest spots.

and if Oh Love was the only song they listened to, I would say Green Day fell off hard.

To some extent, I agree with this take. If anything, Warner seems to have made a conscious effort to bury the band after Billie Joe's incident. No promotion, rushing the final trilogy album to stores a month ahead of schedule...it's almost as if Warner has written the trilogy off as a mistake and want to put it behind them as quickly as possible.

As long as we're being 100% honest, I wouldn't be overly surprised if there is no true "trilogy tour" when all's said and done.

It's not that Warner has just buried it it's just that lavels aren't too keen on spending millions of dollars to promote an album when a band isn't active to promote it. From what I gather when Billie is set to go the marketing is getting back on full force...

I only see the trilogy as a failure when it comes to sales; i thought that all of the songs were average at worst except for See You Tonight, a minute long solo with Billie and a guitar didn't cut it for me. But other than that, everything else was again, average or above. Worst songs off each album - Angel Blue, Nightlife (aside from SYT), and I havent listened to Tre enough yet, but I'm thinking Amanda. But as for my personal satisfaction its great for me, the more the merrier :) I cant tell what my favourite album was. I could say Uno because its been so long since I heard new Green Day so I was really stoked. Then Dos came out and I found its style very generic but still fun catchy tunes. And by Tre I got sick of the same guitar sound but at the same time you just kind of accept it and not care anymore. But I think we've all had that feeling about the trilogies' same sound. Though, Tre has some different elements and is less generic, so right now I would say Uno>Tre>Dos. But give it a couple weeks till Tre sinks in and I'll see for sure.

But again, as for the general public to get into it, very few new fans will come from this and wasn't good for the band on that scale.

I enjoyed the idea of the trilogy.

Having listened to all the songs it had to offer, I'm glad that this was the way that the new material was distributed. I wouldn't have had any idea on how they would have cut songs to put on one or two albums.

As a fan, this will whet my appetite for new material because as a fan, I'm always looking forward to the next body of work, regardless of whether I like it.

I'm currently listening to the trilogy back to front and I can hear the three different tones from each record. Making a single album from the best of the 37 songs would have killed the party analogy.

The picture below one of many where all 3 albums are together. Yay me.

tumblr_menjl1h5Lm1qcqyero1_500.jpg

I bloody love it. I knew lots of people would hate these three albums, as soon as I heard the first few songs on Uno.

**News Flash: Green Day will never do an album like Dookie again!!**

When people get this into their thick skulls then they might be able to chill out, and actually enjoy some good music that is being offered to them. How about, we don't worry about what they did, should or don't sound like, and just enjpy what they DO sound like, for what it is and that is good music! I personally love the albums, I think it's amazing to do what they have done and there isn't one song I dont particularly like or think is a filler. I can just tell they had a lot of fun writing these songs and that makes me happy.

Anyway, rant over... in terms of preference for me its Dos, Uno and then Tre, although I have only listened to Tre once so it might grow on me in time.

Truthfully, prior to this I hadn't listened to Green Day for a good 3-4 years. As someone who grew up on them I decided to check it out, mostly for nostalgia, but secondly I wanted to see how they progressed seeing as how they are now in their forties. Truth is, lyrically anyway, they haven't. Putting everything else aside, I can't take the songs too seriously, in fact I listened to UNO on launch day and one lyric in particular "I woke up in a pool of sweat, at first I thought I pissed the bed" caused me to simultaneously laugh, sigh and exit iTunes. After that incident, I hadn't listened to any of the new stuff till last night, when I decided to listen to the trio from start to finish. Strangely, for such poor lyrics, Billie Joe can write one hell of a hook, the best songs on this album are instantaneously addictive, which a rare gift to possess "Kill The DJ", "Nuclear Family" & "Let Yourself Go" are some examples of this. But that aside, it's mostly it's alarming how much of a step backwards they have taken lyrically. "Nimrod" & "Warning" were pointing to a maturing band and those albums came out 10-15 years ago. Since then, Green Day have been wallowing, writing songs that I'd expect someone a third of their age to write. Songs about house parties, juvenile love songs, I can't this stuff seriously coming from a 41 year old man who has two kids approaching adulthood. All this is a detriment to the overall product for me.

Melodically, this album has some neat stuff, "Wild One" and it's vocal harmonies have been stuck in my head all day, and it really represents the best of Green Day. However, as much as the vocal harmonies stick out, the guitar playing tires, and starts getting repetitive, too many power chords and riffs that wouldn't sound out of place on Dookie. DOS has flashes of an experimental side, "Nightlife" fails, but "See you tonight" is a somewhat charming nod to acts such as Simon & Garfunkel and Bob Dylan. Production wise, this set of albums and 21st Century Breakdown sound a little too over-produced for my liking. Billie's voice is becoming more and more artificial, and any of the abrasiveness for earlier albums has disappeared. Overall though, it's a mix of Green Day's strengths and their failings. I'd like to have seen more expertimental elements, like the pipes on Foxboro Hot Tubs "Dark Side of Night". But it's safe and the band sticks to what it knows best

Final thoughts:

As an overall package, this seems to be a treat more so for Green Day fans, rather than outsiders. If you're a fan, you'll love the amount of content. But as a neutral, something streamlined would certainly have been more welcomed. Musically, this album is so long that you can both complain and compliment elements in equal measures, lyrically, it's a mess and I hope for some progression whenever they release a new album.

6/10

I've finally figured out to say what I've been trying to say for a while:

The thing about the trilogy is that this era was originally meant to be a quieter one for the band, so to speak. There would be no grandiose concept album, just four guys making a bit of music like they love to do. But when you think about it, announcing a trilogy is just as grandiose, if not moreso, than announcing a concept album. It draws more expectation of epicness which the trilogy didn't reach.

I love the trilogy, but it would have also been a lot more epic if the guys were able to promote it...and be on ellen, jimmy kimmel, etc. The album release show and all of the shows they couldn't play. It would have added so much excitement to the whole idea of 3 albums. I know they'll do it once they're able to, it just sucks they couldn't when the albums were each being released. Oh well.

I love the trilogy, but it would have also been a lot more epic if the guys were able to promote it...and be on ellen, jimmy kimmel, etc. The album release show and all of the shows they couldn't play. It would have added so much excitement to the whole idea of 3 albums. I know they'll do it once they're able to, it just sucks they couldn't when the albums were each being released. Oh well.

THAT is the thing that just really sucks, yeah.

I really don't care if it sounds too "poppy " or whatever. I. Loved the trilogy! Here are my ratings to each album :

¡Uno!- 3.5/5 ..good but not great

¡Dos!- 4/5.. Great!

¡Tré! 5/5. Phenomenal!!!!

One of the main problems is that most people tend to compare whatever Green Day do with Dookie or American Idiot. If people looked at the trilogy as its own standalone concept then maybe they'd understand a bit more. It's just Green Day having fun for once - they've already showed the world what they're capable of, which has allowed them to sit back and make music for themselves for a change.

I've really enjoyed the trilogy, as much as any other GD albums. There's songs I really don't like (Sweet 16, Little Boy Named Train...) but there's also songs I don't like on their most well-received albums. I see what people mean about the simpler lyrics, but there's still some songs like Baby Eyes where Billie has slipped in some fucking incredible lines. I can't really see 21CB-style lyrics fitting these songs anyway.

They can't win really, people complain when their songs are complex and political, but they're still complaining now the songs are simpler and personal again. Personally I think the trilogy was a great experiment and I'm really glad that we have so many songs, whether I like all of them or not.

To some extent, I agree with this take. If anything, Warner seems to have made a conscious effort to bury the band after Billie Joe's incident. No promotion, rushing the final trilogy album to stores a month ahead of schedule...it's almost as if Warner has written the trilogy off as a mistake and want to put it behind them as quickly as possible.

As long as we're being 100% honest, I wouldn't be overly surprised if there is no true "trilogy tour" when all's said and done.

This makes me extremely sad, but I completely agree with you. The band is a brand and they have to market it positively. If they can't do that, they'll hide the band so that they can retain the previous image.

Personally, I love the trilogy. Not as much as other albums, but in its own right it's great. Uno is my favorite, Dos is in second, and Tre in third (funny). I simply like the most songs off of Uno, a little less off of Dos, and only a few songs off of Tre. Some songs on these albums have completely wow'ed me, like Brutal Love and Stay the Night. Some songs make me cringe, like Nightlife and Little Boy Named Train.

I pointed out how parts of Dirty Rotten Bastards sounds like Shoplifter to my boyfriend. He asked me what I felt about the band re-using some material so blatantly. I don't have an answer for that yet. I do love that song (both, actually) and I like that DRB is going to gain more exposure than Shoplifter by default. But creatively, I feel as if it could have been better. We all know that this band can write amazing music that is original, so why are they re-using some past material so often in this trilogy? I also could be wrong here, but parts of Baby Eyes' guitar solo sounds like the mid-part of American Idiot. At least live where the guitar is hitting that same note over and over.

Some of the lyrics in this trilogy make me cringe as well. The chorus to Loss of Control is one of those. Love the song, but that chorus just seems extremely weak. "We're all crazy, you're all crazy now." It would work live, but on a record it just sounds like a cop-out for a lack of more creative lyrics. Throw that in the verse somewhere or something.

I love the trilogy and right now I can't stop listening to it. I love that they're all fairly short and easy listens that I could knock out in my commute. It has amazing moments, and some not-so-amazing moments. But that's okay. Because like Billie Joe has said, when we listen to the trilogy we will understand where this band is at during this point in their careers. And we can definitely understand that.

Side note: Is there any possible way of getting some of these songs onto Rockband? I'm still active in GDRB and would play the shit out of them.

I think that the trilogy contains some of the worst songs green day have ever released, Oh Love, Nightlife, to name a couple. HOWEVER! I do also think that there are some truly great songs that are up there with their best work, See you tonight, Lazy Bones, and especially x kid, those songs and a few others are amazing. there are the makings of a single great album in there, its just bloated with alot of good- below average songs. I love it and am pleasedall the songs were released but I think maybe a single album heavily promoted followed by 4 download only eps for the fans would have been a happy medium between what the label can adequately promote and what the band want.

I wonder what nuggets of green day gold would have been revealed if they had released 37 songs for every album/era. bet there are some awesome lost songs from throughout there career, there probably isnt any/many for the trilogy, which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you see it.

Just a random thought... did i have a dream where i read that Billie played the mellatron on X-kid or did they just skip it in the final cut? i can't hear it anywhere in the song :P

In immediate hindsight, things didn't go well with this trilogy. ¡Uno! is good, ¡Dos! is probably Green Day's worst album and ¡Tre! saves the trilogy from being a complete disaster. Imagine if they had just whittled down ¡Uno! and ¡Tre! into a double album, or a 16 song album, and released ¡Dos! as the Foxboro Hot Tubs. That probably would have worked better. Stray Heart is great, but it's basically Mother Mary and Wow! That's Loud is 27th Ave Shuffle 2.0.

¡Uno! and ¡Tre! could have had this tracklisting:

1. Nuclear Family
  2. Stay The Night
  3. Carpe Diem
  4. Let Yourself Go
  5. Missing You
  6. X-Kid
  7. Sex, Drugs & Violence
  8. Walk Away
  9. Fell For You
  10. Angel Blue
  11. Brutal Love
  12. Sweet 16
  13. Rusty James
  14. Dirty, Rotten Bastards
  15. 99 Revolutions
  16. The Forgotten

Also, if the band was in a healthy state and out promoting this whole thing, things may have gone better. But, they will return and it will be glorious.

I just want to know the majority opinion of the trilogy instead of having to read them all.

no one has a gun to your head.

the trilogy was everything i wanted it to be 37 new green day songs that i love couldnt ask for more

Archived