Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

I think this is an important turning point in GD carrier, I mean, the first one was Dookie, the second one American Idiot and now this. I'm counting this tilogy as one album in my album ranking, because I just can't decide my favourite.

To be precise, my album ranking is:

Dookie

Insomniac

¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Trè!

American Idiot

21st Century Breakdown

Nimrod

Kerplunk!

Warning

Shenanigans

1039 SOSH

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it!!!

What a deep, long and passionate though! :P

I've only listened to Tre once, but I still think I can do this justice.

Overall the Trilogy has worked very well. I think it was a bold move and it paid off. It's not flawless, Dos is a weak album (but has a few decent songs and a few clunkers) Uno and Tré are MUCH more consistent and far better.

People are hating on the lyrics from the trilogy, Billie is a DAMN good lyricist but he's gone back to his older style. Dookie didn't have "epic" lyrics, and neither do some of the trilogy songs.

Musically the Trilogy is the best Green Day have ever sounded (Mike and Billie especially) Tre is consistently good as he has been since the beginning, but Billie and Mike really upped their game for these songs. (SOLOS! BASS SOLOS! GUITAR SOLOS!)

Would this have been better as one album? Taking the best songs from each and making one album? Yes, maybe. But that's too safe. Green Day have been in the game too long to keep playing it safe, sure 'Nightlife' isn't great(worst Green Day song ever) but it was different. Green Day have shown they can evolve.

I think the fans have been the worst thing about this trilogy. "We want a new Dookie"...."That sounds too much like Dookie"(This isn't aimed at anyone, just how I've read the fan base in general) They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I've gone on for a while so I'll close. Overall I think the trilogy is great, there's more than 12 good songs (12 being a standard album) but not 37 amazing songs (but to be fair, could ANY band make 37 amazing songs?) I'm probably going to have a play list of my "best of" songs and the others I may never listen to.

Overall I'm glad they tried it.

Trilogy overall rating

(Uno 9)

(Dos 7)

(Tre 8) - needs a re-listen

8/10

Dude, that is THE BEST way to listen to these songs. It's incredible. I tried it last night and was amazed. My new favorite thing to do is to put See You Tonight it front of random songs, some of the results are pretty hilarious.

you, sir, are a certified GENIUS!

starting my ¡uno¡dos!¡tré! playlist with "See You Tonight" and then the other 36 tracks on shuffle

What a deep, long and passionate though! :P

Yeah it took me 30 minutes to come up with an answer :lol:

Now that it's kind of over (but just beginning in a way) I can safely say that I am very pleased with the trilogy. You can't put out 37 songs in such rapid progession and expect them all to be classics, but the majority of the songs on the trilogy are really good and I enjoy them. There are only maybe two that I don't really enjoy. My favourite is Uno, and then Tre and then finally Dos.

I think a reason why I like them so much is because I'm finally old enough to really relate. I mean, yeah I had their albums to listen to growing up and being generally angsty, but this is different. These albums describe a lot of feelings that I'm going through now and I connect with it a lot easier, and I've just missed Green Day. I think it was a bold move that paid off for most fans, but not necessarily paid off in general though.

The trilogy isn't my favourite thing from Green Day, but right now it's all I feel like listening to.

Yeah it took me 30 minutes to come up with an answer :lol:

:lol:

I liked the trilogy but to be perfectly honest I prefer American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown , there's just something about the guitar sound that I just don't like in these three albums. It just doesn't sound as "rocky?" as the two other albums

They have also been a commercial disaster which is kinda sad

DOS > UNO > TRE

Nuclear Family - 8.5/10 Stay the Night - 8/10 Carpe Diem - 8.5/10 Let Yourself Go - 10/10 Kill the DJ - 8.5/10 Fell For You - 7.5/10 Loss of Control - 8.5/10 Troublemaker - 9/10 Angel Blue - 8/10 Sweet 16 - 8.5/10 Rusty James - 6.5/10 Oh Love - 6/10

See You Tonight - 8/10 Fuck Time - 6/10 Stop When the Red Lights Flash - 10/10 Lazy Bones - 9/10 Wild One - 8/10 Makeout Party - 9.5/10 Stray Heart - 9/10 Ashley - 10/10 Baby Eyes - 9/10 Lady Cobra - 9/10 Nightlife - 6.5/10 Wow! That's Loud - 9.5/10 Amy - 8.5/10

Brutal Love - 8.5/10 Missing You - 8/10 8th Avenue Serenade - 9/10 Drama Queen - 8/10 X-Kid - 9.5/10 Sex, Drugs and Violence - 6.5/10 Little Boy Named Train - 7/10 Amanda - 8.5/10 Walk Away - 8/10 Dirty Rotten Bastards - 10/10 99 Revolutions - 8.5/10 The Forgotten - 7.5/10

Worst: Fuck Time, Oh Love, Sex Drugs and Violence

Best: Ashley, Dirty Rotten Bastards, Let Yourself Go

I'm happy they made the trilogy. This way we got 37 new songs and each of us can make a playlist of our favourite ones. If they just made one album, we wouldn't have heard a lot of them.

They're really catchy and I also like the simple lyrics, the songs are much more relatable than the ones on 21st Century Brakedown.

I do hope they make something completely different next. An album none of us would expect! (But not rap, even though I like Nightlife :P)

I am extremely, extremely happy that this trilogy exists. It's exactly, spot-on the exact kind of sound I wanted after the 21st Century Hissy Fit kerfuffle. These are probably my favorite Reprise albums of theirs. That being said, there are some flaws (as there are with anything else that's great). Oh Love has about as much flavor as tofu. A lot of the lyrics throughout the three records are downright campy, juvenile and embarassing. I always skip Wild One. Despite all this, the hits vastly outshine the misses.

I think people nowadays are ADD riddled, and can't stand anything that's musically sonic, subtle, or slower paced. Everything has to be fast and bright. Subtley is becoming a vestigial trait, and iTre! is probably Green Day's most subtle album they've ever recorded.

yeah and you standing above all the people who are stupid. only you, the chosen one, know what good music is.

thats the kind misantropic behaviour nowadays which is the true phenomena of 21st centurys culture.

p.s: i dislike uno, just for the record. i just can't stand this guy judging. its not about fast or slow, its about what is good music to yourself. i love brutal love -> good music to me. i kind of dislike the forgotten -> boring music to me. both are slow. i think panic song is boring as hell, i love stuck with me. both fast songs. don't pick one statement of a person judging some kind of songs as boring and then act like it is a statement about a whole genre.

As many people have said, I'm happy they made the trilogy. Is it their best work? Definitely not. Could they have put 14/15 songs on one album and dumped the rest? Yeah, they probably could have. I don't think they made the trilogy expecting everyone to like each and every song, it's nice for people to be able to pick and choose their favourites from such a wide variety of songs. We also got to see an experimental side of Green Day, which was cool. As much as I strongly dislike Nightlife, I give them props for trying, and hope they never do something like that again. :P Kill the DJ has grown on me quite a bit though.

I'm just sad that this trilogy era is always going to be associated with such a difficult time for Billie. It'd be interesting to see how things would have played out differently promotion wise if he didn't have to go to rehab.

I know, it's a shit topic, but I wanna talk about the "mainstreamness" of Green Day. You know, after American Idiot, (nearly) everyone said, that GD is mainstream and stuff. 21st Century Breakdown made it even worse. They were on TV and won many prizes and every "real" punk started to hate them. Now with the Trilogy, they did something different. They just wrote songs 'cause they want to. Maybe (!) the "real" punks like them now more..maybe. The Trilogy is everything..good or bad or awesome or whatever, but it's no mainstream.

But there is one fucking thing that just pisses me of..it doesn't matter what, when, where and how Green Day does something, people (even "fans") compare every-fucking-thing. Why can't you just accept there work. You don't need to love it, but just shut the fuck up if you don't like it. Maan..this kind of "community" is just fucking shit.

Sorry for offtopic and bad english, but I just wanted to talk about it.

But there is one fucking thing that just pisses me of..it doesn't matter what, when, where and how Green Day does something, people (even "fans") compare every-fucking-thing. Why can't you just accept there work. You don't need to love it, but just shut the fuck up if you don't like it. Maan..this kind of "community" is just fucking shit.

Sorry for offtopic and bad english, but I just wanted to talk about it.

So you're only allowed to have an opinion if you like it then. Nah that's not really how a good forum works.

I really like them! All 3 of them! I like them a lot. Uno is my favorite though.

I am bored so i made this :lol:

Different Uno https://dl.dropbox.c...fferent Uno.png

Different Dos https://dl.dropbox.c...fferent Dos.png

Different Tré 1 https://dl.dropbox.c...ferent Tré.png

Different Tré 2 https://dl.dropbox.c...erent Tre 2.png

What do you think? :P

They're amazing. If it wasn't because the original covers had the charm of being amateur iPhone photographies taken by themselves, I would say these were much, much better. I also really like the alternative colour scheme of iTRÉ!, I always thought it was the only cover not representing the album itself, or the bandmember on the cover. iDOS! had the dirty colour scheme, and iUNO! had the fun and happy one. iTRÉ! needed a more classy and serious colour scheme to fit the ambition of that album better.

I think I might chance the covers in my iTunes to these for a while, to see if it'll stick. We've all been bombarded with the original covers for over half a year anyways.

It would be a fun thing if it caught on and more people started to mix up the covers with different photographies of the band. They are so simple they almost beg for it to be done.

They're amazing. If it wasn't because the original covers had the charm of being amateur iPhone photographies taken by themselves, I would say these were much, much better. I also really like the alternative colour scheme of iTRÉ!, I always thought it was the only cover not representing the album itself, or the bandmember on the cover. iDOS! had the dirty colour scheme, and iUNO! had the fun and happy one. iTRÉ! needed a more classy and serious colour scheme to fit the ambition of that album better.

I think I might chance the covers in my iTunes to these for a while, to see if it'll stick. We've all been bombarded with the original covers for over half a year anyways.

It would be a fun thing if it caught on and more people started to mix up the covers with different photographies of the band. They are so simple they almost beg for it to be done.

Thank you veeeeery very much!! I really appreciate it :)

When you change them, post a screen of your iTunes library with them, wanna see it :D

I felt like Uno was okay, and it really warmed me up to the new sound, while not being too outstanding. I enjoyed it still, but it was nothing phenomenal. Dos was a lot better than Uno. Dos was much rawer and had a lot more feeling - something Uno seriously lacked. But again, it wasn't anything amazing. But then Tre. Tre is definitely my favorite, and I guess a lot of people don't think so, but I seriously love Tre. There's so much feeling in this album. These albums like got more and more filled with emotion, and Tre was the best for me.

Best tracks imo

Uno: Stay The Night, Kill the DJ, Fell for You, Troublemaker, Rusty James

Dos: Fuck Time, Lazy Bones, Wild One, Stray Heart, Wow, That's Loud!

Tre: Brutal Love, Missing You, Drama Queen, X-Kid, Walk Away, Dirty Rotten Bastards

Another thing that I felt, was that the trilogy kinda seemed like Warning Pt. 2. It didn't really fit one genre, feeling, or sound like their other albums. It was more like "here's some shit we tried, hope you like it" and I thought it was pretty great. I love hearing them experiment with new sounds. Warning was my favorite album because of how outside of the "normal green day" they went and I love the trilogy for the same reason.

Of course there were songs I didn't enjoy. I didn't really care for Let Yourself Go, Loss of Control, or Angel Blue on Uno. On Dos I just can't get myself to like SWTRLF. And then Makeout Party, Ashley, and Baby Eyes are all okay songs and I can totally rock out to them, but they don't really wow me at all. And then there's Nightlife. Which I like, but I don't like at the same time. I just have mixed feelings about that song.

Then on Tre there's only one song I dislike, and it's a song that I just cannot stand and I think it is without a doubt Green Day's worst song to date. That song is Sex, Drugs, and Violence.

SEX DRUGS AND VIOLENCE, ENGLISH MATH AND SCIENCE, SAFETY IN NUMBERS, GIMME GIMME DANGER

Worst lyrics, ever. I did like Mike's part, though.

I love the Warning comparison because I feel the same thing, I feel like the trilogy as a whole might have similar fate to Warning where people as a whole think it is not very good to just alright and then years later go "Ya' know, this is actually really great music" To date though I don't think I've seen so much fractured and varying opinions about a Green Day release ever, even I'm still not quite sure what to make of the whole thing, and the Green Day fanbase is already pretty fractured about their releases.

Thank you veeeeery very much!! I really appreciate it :)

When you change them, post a screen of your iTunes library with them, wanna see it :D

It looks quite good, actually.

itunes1.jpg

itunes2.jpg

I really don't get this Uno is the best of the trilogy and Tre is their most poppy album. You seriously need to listen again. I didn't like Tre all that much until the 3rd time i listened to it. I compare it to nimrod because it seems like a mess for awhile then over time its like wow thats a great punk marathon that is actually very relatable. It is just the style and confusion it is supposed to initially create. I didn't get Nimrod for awhile mainly because I wasn't into that kind of punk music. Uno is easy to listen to. That is why it is the most power pop album of their career but it is by far the worst of the trilogy. Easily the most boring GD album to play on guitar.

8.4/10 for TRE!

8.1/10 for DOS!

6.7/10 for UNO!

I may even go as far to say that UNO! is as bad as 39/Smooth. If you love 39/ Smooth I guess I can see why you love UNO! Not that hate either one but they both aren't their best work.

As a fan, the Trilogy was a great thing. It's a fresh sound and over three albums provides us with a ton of amazing songs. As a fan, this was a great move by Green Day. However, commercially it's falling apart. I think they would have benefited more from one album that they could pick singles from and promote. Mainstream music listens can't keep track of things like we do as fans. They need to keep it to the basics. I think one album of all the best songs and maybe a set of EP's of the songs that weren't included at least for the fans would have been a better approach. The whole Trilogy is gold, but it doesn't work in this environment of music. However, I don't see anything Green Day writes getting on the radio very often. Music has moved away from Green Day's style. How many songs on the radio are in the rock genre? Green Day just doesn't fit in anymore. And that's totally fine! They still make amazing music, and although I'd love for them to take over the world again, I'm ok with listening to their amazing music popular or not. We'll see what happens once the band gets back on their feet, and I'm hoping for the best.

I think people are missing the point of sex drugs and violence. The lyrics are alright but parts of the melody sound a little undone like they didn't put enough time in to make it flow and sound professional. Then again it could have been done on purpose to make them sound younger. Idk it is much better than nightlife, kill the dj, troublemaker or loss of control tho.

As a fan, the Trilogy was a great thing. It's a fresh sound and over three albums provides us with a ton of amazing songs. As a fan, this was a great move by Green Day. However, commercially it's falling apart. I think they would have benefited more from one album that they could pick singles from and promote. Mainstream music listens can't keep track of things like we do as fans. They need to keep it to the basics. I think one album of all the best songs and maybe a set of EP's of the songs that weren't included at least for the fans would have been a better approach. The whole Trilogy is gold, but it doesn't work in this environment of music. However, I don't see anything Green Day writes getting on the radio very often. Music has moved away from Green Day's style. How many songs on the radio are in the rock genre? Green Day just doesn't fit in anymore. And that's totally fine! They still make amazing music, and although I'd love for them to take over the world again, I'm ok with listening to their amazing music popular or not. We'll see what happens once the band gets back on their feet, and I'm hoping for the best.

If you buy Uno or Dos or Tre, on the bototm it says: "Album dedicated to fans, friends, family and punishers" .. i think they knew this won't be mainstream sucesss :)

It looks quite good, actually.

haha, its crazy to see them in iTunes XD and yeah, they look alright in :)

why dont you ahve iTunes 11 ?

Archived