Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

Um wow. Those are all fucking epic. So much better than the originals! Too bad the current covers are here to stay. I bet even Green Day themselves would have taken you up on those! :D

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's seriously amazing how a band can go from a song like Strageland to Brutal Love. This trilogy shows so much growth.

strangeland?

I just have difficulty processing the fact that we received 3 fucking albums. I have no perspective on it, I think it's impossible to process that much in such a short period of time. I also really struggle with the fact that when I'm underwhelmed by a song on one of the albums, it could so easily be a song I admire off of Nimrod or Insomniac. Like, I have no problem with songs like Jinx and Westbound Sign and Bab's Uvula Who and Prosthetic Head, but I get bored to death with SWTRLF and Lady Cobra? There's nothing THAT different between the awesomeness of most of these songs and Green Day's past material... most of it IS standard-issue Green Day, and if I were going into their back catalogue for the first time right now and discovering these trilogy songs for the first time as elements of their past, I'd find them to be like buried treasures. But because I now live in the PRESENT of Green Day's production, I go in with so much anticipation and unstated expectations that I'm not even aware of that I can't even appreciate them as I would.

My point: well shit, I have no idea. I don't even think it's fair for me to think about the trilogy for another ten years. I need sleep. Hell, I'm still basically opinionless on 21CB.

you pretty much said my feelings. thank you for putting them into words.

track 15 on kerplunk, green day fan

ouch, no holding back. Right the track that was on their Sweet Children EP.

I thought you were referring to something from the trilogy. Caught me off guard.

MY BAD GUYS.

ouch, no holding back.

I thought you were referring to something from the trilogy. Caught me off guard.

MY BAD GUYS.

lol chill, I tease, I tease :P

I won't be able to completely answer this until I have digested Tre more. After a single listen to the last piece listen (plus an extra for Brutal Love) I am not so sure how I feel about it. I really enjoy Uno and Dos even more so but right now I really dislike Tre except a few tracks.

I definitely think there is enough good material for a great double album at the very least. Also, I think that a different album can suit different fans, so for that reason it makes a lot of sense for them to put out so many songs since many people enjoy different sides of Green Day. Perhaps Tre will grow on me in time, I am rooting for that to happen.

As of right now I could discard about 6 or 7 songs (most from Tre) from the trilogy. When you think historically that is actually pretty damn good. Green Day has spoiled us with albums that for the most part have great songs front to back. A lot of bands (even some very famous and talented ones) do not manage this, especially when they attempt huge projects. I love Sandinista and The White Album, and both of these have a fair amount of filler. Yes, I think a very picky double album would be very very very good, but I enjoy 30 songs from the trilogy and that is a really good track record for such a massive project. Some of the songs I dislike (Fuck Time, Carpe Diem, SWTRLF, and SD&V) are really enjoyed by other fans.

So fuck the double album, I give my seal of approval to this project and thank Green Day for providing us with so much music that almost every Green Day fan can enjoy a lot of. :happy:

Yeah. Compare Murder City and Nuclear Family. or Horseshoes and Handgrenades to Loss of Control. Peacemaker has that expirementation of Kill the DJ. Last Night on Earth Sweet 16 maybe? Or you could even count the trilogy as one album, it has 3 acts just like 21st century, and you could compare American Eulogy and Dirty Rotten Bastards, or Static Age and Sex, Drugs n Violence. Song of the century See you tonight. This is how I see it, you don't have to look at it the same way, but you can

I get what you mean when you do this, but i obviously you need to treat the trilogy as one album rather than three separate ones. chronologically, we know that songs from tre (drama queen for example) were written before probably many on uno and dos.

i think you can definitely look at past albums and see a progression, and how one leads to the next and would be fascinating to fill in the C&V gap.

Still haven't listened to Tre (holding out for the release date), but I absolutely love Uno and Dos. They would both rank towards the top of my list when it comes to Green Day's discography, tbh. I'm starting to get really annoyed whenever someone says they should have just made one album. Everybody has different favorites. Just listen to the songs that would be on "your" album and ignore the other ones, and let everyone else do the same. That's the whole point of triple albums.

Also, for the record, Uno, Dos, Tre!>>>>>>>>>>>Sandinista!

I just have difficulty processing the fact that we received 3 fucking albums. I have no perspective on it, I think it's impossible to process that much in such a short period of time. I also really struggle with the fact that when I'm underwhelmed by a song on one of the albums, it could so easily be a song I admire off of Nimrod or Insomniac. Like, I have no problem with songs like Jinx and Westbound Sign and Bab's Uvula Who and Prosthetic Head, but I get bored to death with SWTRLF and Lady Cobra? There's nothing THAT different between the awesomeness of most of these songs and Green Day's past material... most of it IS standard-issue Green Day, and if I were going into their back catalogue for the first time right now and discovering these trilogy songs for the first time as elements of their past, I'd find them to be like buried treasures. But because I now live in the PRESENT of Green Day's production, I go in with so much anticipation and unstated expectations that I'm not even aware of that I can't even appreciate them as I would.

My point: well shit, I have no idea. I don't even think it's fair for me to think about the trilogy for another ten years. I need sleep. Hell, I'm still basically opinionless on 21CB.

This made me laugh. I know exactly what you mean.

They say context is king. I think if they'd done what so many suggested and just dropped one album with 12-18 killer tracks (whoever's choice of 'killer' tracks they might be) even then some songs would still stand out and the others (amazing songs) would be relegated with the title of 'filler'. We don't necessarily have the capacity for that much GD awesomeness in one hit.

I'm happy with a trilogy. I'm happy with having an awful lot to shift through and digest and mix up and create favourite lists. I think those who want one 'killer' album want it for charts topping reputations and sales figures etc. and i get that. But i'm just more for GD epic as fuck rather than GD edited to fuck.

I'm amazed at the amount of negative reactions in this thread.

I think what Green Day were trying to do here was to have fun whilst still putting effort into their songs, which they've done beautifully. In my opinion this is their best music so far, because it's just genuine Green Day with no difficult extras like rock opera storylines. That stuff is great but it's also nice for them to be themselves for a change, to make music that's not a pain in the arse to record. In my opinion, when you listen to the trilogy you can just tell they enjoyed making it more than they did with American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.

I think it was just the publicity that let these albums down most, to be honest. I know a lot of it is down to Billie Joe's health, so it's not like they don't have a good excuse. It's just a shame to think how well the albums would've done with full-blown publicity and a few music videos each. Ah well.

Uno is really good, Dos is really bad, Tre is really blah. Those are my thoughts on the trilogy as a whole. I really appreciate the band doing three albums in a row, but given the reviews and, more importantly, the sales figures, I wonder if they might've been better served dropping 10 songs or so and doing a double-album instead of a trilogy of single albums.

This

I do wish it had been one album. I could've obsessed over and really got into one album of good music. This is too much similar sounding stuff, my brain can't differentiate between songs and allow me to really think about and love them.

I'm disappointed in myself. I've spent months saying I have the utmost faith in the band, that they wouldn't release three albums if they didn't have such a volume of incredible music and that no one should complain about a trilogy because the more music we get the better, but I just haven't been blown away at all and consequently I haven't got into any of the albums. Green Day run through my veins, I love them with everything I've got and yet, once it's got to it, nothing about these albums has excited me. Maybe I really am growing out of some eight year long fangirl stage and I shouldn't need some great revelation from their music anymore, I should just take it for what it is, a bunch of good songs to listen to. It's just I've come to expect more from them, I want to listen to a song and feel a need to replay it over and over, learn every word and feel every line Billie sings, yet I'm finding myself just waiting for songs to finish. Feeling obliged to listen to them because it's Green Day, but not particularly wanting to. It's making me so sad to even type this.

The reason I'm disappointed in myself rather than the band is that, really these songs are typical Green Day. I'm not sure what I was expecting, if anything these songs are far more impressive than the vast majority of pre-AI stuff, yet there are perhaps only three songs out of all of their entire back-catalog that I'm not completely in love with, whereas right now I'd struggle to name three songs on the trilogy with which I am. The difference here isn't Green Day, it's me. When I listened to all their previous songs for the first time I was twelve years old and felt the need to devote my life to learning every syllable, song meaning and band fact there was to know. I think that's why all the songs meant so much to me.

When I've listened to the albums a lot and learnt the lyrics I think I will really like them. Although, for the large part, I'm finding the lyrics of the trilogy to be relatively poor. Pretty sure Dos will be my favourite of the three (if we can blast Nightlife out of existence) I do like the direction of that album, more rock & roll and not at all boring to listen to like some of the songs on Tre seem to be.

I definitely think they could've taken the best four songs from each album and combined them to create a really fucking incredible one. One which would blow you away on first listen rather than be a chore to study through and teach yourself to like.

Think I'd have been far more content with these twelve in one album and having some of the other good'uns as B-sides than the entire trilogy:

Let Yourself Go

Rusty James

Oh Love

Fuck Time

Lazy Bones

Wild One

Stray Heart

Wow! That's Loud

Brutal Love

Drama Queen

Dirty Rotten Bastards

The Forgotten

I'm still processing Uno! tbh, and I'm not going to rush through them but take them at a pace I want to. Green Day's dates were just guidelines for me. So as of now, I'm proud of Uno and working my way into Dos :P

Tre is amazing. Its the style of album I've been waiting for. The other two albums... meh. Their are a few diamonds in the rough in each

Also, I feel like this was perfect for the fans by putting out a trilogy. We got every style of music we wanted... But it was torture to their "mainstream" sales. If they had done one album, we would be hearing a lot more songs on radio and more people would be talking about it, regardless of Billies rehab and lack of promotion. Heck, a lot of people didn't even know that their was a Dos or a Tre!

I think they should of released Tre first :/ You can see the trend with youtube views. Oh love has a couple million, the forgotten has something over a million and stray heart is less than a million o.o plus Uno is the only album that is eligible for this years Grammys... My opinion :P

My thoughts on the Trilogy still developing as I have not had ample time to listen to Tre! straight through yet, nor have I had the opportunity to listen to the entire Trilogy in one listen. I think once I can sit and listen to the entire trilogy in one listen, I will be able to form an opinion and better understand what Green Day's vision was; I want to treat the project as one collective work. Even though Uno! was largely unimpressive, and I found the writing to be sub-par on Uno! and alright on Dos! with a few standouts, I've found every instrumental to be good to downright amazing. I'm glad they released three albums. I feel like after the four year period between Warning and American Idiot and the five year period between American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, it was nice after only three years to get more albums and music than Green Day put out between 2000 and 2009 in one six month period. I feel like the band had a fun time making the three records and were relaxed during the process. Sure not everything in the trilogy was good, but there is so many good songs, sounds, and even some great lyrics to be found between the three records. They explored almost every aspect of Green Day's sound from Dookie onward and even had a Foxboro Hot Tubs influence. With where Green Day is at right now, why not release three albums? They have nothing left to prove to anyone, they've made their fanbase, numerous records, won numerous awards, and have sold millions of records. So why the fuck not release three records? As a fan I cannot complain too much about the trilogy, it may not be the band's best work, or as "epic" as they stated but I will be dammed if I didn't enjoy experience. I'm completely excited for what the band does next.

I really like the trilogy. I'm not really a picky person tho, but i am glad it's not another AI/21CB, although i love those albums too. I haven't really listened to Tre too much, only played it two times through, working on my third, but as i listened to each album more, i fell in love more. I still found myself constantly listening to Uno & Dos while i was waiting for Tre. I think honestly, we all might have liked it a lot better, if the promotion that was intended to happen for it....still happened. The breakdown/rehab thing kinda ruined it a little bit for some people. =[ i know it kinda cut my hype down on it, cuz now, i honestly don't know what i have to look foward to next from the band. =[

However I really don't see the whole 'getting ready for party - party - redemption' thing that BJ was talking about, some few elements yes, but not really as a concept for the three albums. To me it feels like he just said that because he felt like the albums had to have a concept or something :confused:

I was thinking about this earlier, if you think about it they've got two generations of fans (mainly). Those who came in dookie era (myself) and the younger crowd with AI. For those kids green day's mainly about the concept album, they really brought that whole thing back, many bands have done it since. So the whole "party.." idea I feel like was more just billie trying to keep that group happy.

Look at their b-sides, most of em really don't fit the album they were recorded during.

I've said it before, but billie's always been one to want their albums to have not so much a story arch but an overall tone. In that sense yeah uno can be summed up as excitement before you go out, dos feels like your drunk just being an asshole and letting your demons do their damage and tre is like looking at your life and realizing you need to change things. But the kids that heard him say that and thought that it was gonna be green day do t shirt time, wait for the cabs, get to the party, tre pukes on mikes shoes, there's some broad with a loud dress named lady cobra and hey maybe they woke up in the drunk tank? Are just looking for that concept album thing green day've been doing. The albums are really as conceptual as any other (non AI 21CB) album before them.

I think it was a really ambitious thing to do, put out 3 albums as a trilogy, and I don't think the band realized what it all encompassed. They said they had been running on fumes for the past couple of years, and getting out there for 3 albums is a lot of work, and I don't know if they've pulled it off.

I understand writing so many new songs and wanting to get them all out there, but they need to learn to edit themselves and maybe be a little less ambitious. But again, I understand why they did what they did.

I was thinking about this earlier, if you think about it they've got two generations of fans (mainly). Those who came in dookie era (myself) and the younger crowd with AI. For those kids green day's mainly about the concept album, they really brought that whole thing back, many bands have done it since. So the whole "party.." idea I feel like was more just billie trying to keep that group happy.

Look at their b-sides, most of em really don't fit the album they were recorded during.

I've said it before, but billie's always been one to want their albums to have not so much a story arch but an overall tone. In that sense yeah uno can be summed up as excitement before you go out, dos feels like your drunk just being an asshole and letting your demons do their damage and tre is like looking at your life and realizing you need to change things. But the kids that heard him say that and thought that it was gonna be green day do t shirt time, wait for the cabs, get to the party, tre pukes on mikes shoes, there's some broad with a loud dress named lady cobra and hey maybe they woke up in the drunk tank? Are just looking for that concept album thing green day've been doing. The albums are really as conceptual as any other (non AI 21CB) album before them.

You're right, I haven't thought about it this way. I am one of the younger fans, hopped on board with AI, but I love their previous work just as much. I don't love them just for their concept albums, so I don't need them convulsively trying to push a concept into it.

I can definitely hear the overall tone, like in their older stuff and I think that's enough, they didn't sign a contract with AI that they need to have these heavy conceptual albums. And if those fans are only here for stuff like AI and 21CB, then they're not really real fans imo :confused:

I personally think the trilogy as a whole is a great concept, though releasing each album with an interval of two months did not really work promotion-wise.

Also I noticed a lot of remarks from people disliking the separate albums because of their high expectations, of which I was a victim myself as well.

But taking the trilogy as a whole, I think it makes a great collection of 37 songs. I listened to all three albums on shuffle last night and I enjoyed it so much, I was smiling like a little kid during the entire listen. There are only a few songs that I care less about, about 2 or 3. Since there are still more than 30 songs that can make me smile makes this album trilogy worth it for me personally.

In the sense of marketing this concept proved to be a huge challenge that, until now, did not fully succeed according to our expectations in comparison with AI and 21stCB. We'll see what will happen in 2013. It might still do pretty ok

Um wow. Those are all fucking epic. So much better than the originals! Too bad the current covers are here to stay. I bet even Green Day themselves would have taken you up on those! :D

:shok: Thank you! that means something to me!

These are great! I like the covers they used, but these are awesome too.

Thaanks! :)

I felt like Uno was okay, and it really warmed me up to the new sound, while not being too outstanding. I enjoyed it still, but it was nothing phenomenal. Dos was a lot better than Uno. Dos was much rawer and had a lot more feeling - something Uno seriously lacked. But again, it wasn't anything amazing. But then Tre. Tre is definitely my favorite, and I guess a lot of people don't think so, but I seriously love Tre. There's so much feeling in this album. These albums like got more and more filled with emotion, and Tre was the best for me.

Best tracks imo

Uno: Stay The Night, Kill the DJ, Fell for You, Troublemaker, Rusty James

Dos: Fuck Time, Lazy Bones, Wild One, Stray Heart, Wow, That's Loud!

Tre: Brutal Love, Missing You, Drama Queen, X-Kid, Walk Away, Dirty Rotten Bastards

Another thing that I felt, was that the trilogy kinda seemed like Warning Pt. 2. It didn't really fit one genre, feeling, or sound like their other albums. It was more like "here's some shit we tried, hope you like it" and I thought it was pretty great. I love hearing them experiment with new sounds. Warning was my favorite album because of how outside of the "normal green day" they went and I love the trilogy for the same reason.

Of course there were songs I didn't enjoy. I didn't really care for Let Yourself Go, Loss of Control, or Angel Blue on Uno. On Dos I just can't get myself to like SWTRLF. And then Makeout Party, Ashley, and Baby Eyes are all okay songs and I can totally rock out to them, but they don't really wow me at all. And then there's Nightlife. Which I like, but I don't like at the same time. I just have mixed feelings about that song.

Then on Tre there's only one song I dislike, and it's a song that I just cannot stand and I think it is without a doubt Green Day's worst song to date. That song is Sex, Drugs, and Violence.

SEX DRUGS AND VIOLENCE, ENGLISH MATH AND SCIENCE, SAFETY IN NUMBERS, GIMME GIMME DANGER

Worst lyrics, ever. I did like Mike's part, though.

I reckon Dos is the best because of it's raw Guitar and obvious love of 60's british rock n roll. Tre is a bit more Bi polar for me...It has some of the best songs on the trilogy (Brutal love, drama queen, DRB, The forgotten) but the rockers just feel like filler to me which is a shame because there wasn't a single song on Uno and Dos that I didn't enjoy!

Archived