Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

The point with making one album instead of three is that they would focus on the songs more.Now many songs feel like fillers or unfinished.

[...] but if they focused on less songs they could have made the album of they're career or something...I don't know...

That's exactly the point.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive really enjoyed the trilogy. Uno to me was a killer pop punk album, dont get all the hate for it. Nuclear family, stay the night, let yourself go, fell for you, and oh love are killer. I enjoyed Dos just as much as uno. Now Tre has some good songs, but some of the songs feel like left overs to me. Overall im enjoying Tre but sadly its not as good as uno or dos was on the first couple of listens. But im guessing it will grow on me a lot. Overall im very happy with the trilogy, so many new songs and sounds.

I really really love Uno and I think Dos is awesome.. but I honestly have mixed feelings for Tré. I had high expectations and thought it would be my favorite out of those three, but it really wasn't. I love X-Kid and Missing You.. the rest is meh. (i feel like a bad fan for saying this, i usually love most songs Green Day makes :/ ) , maybe it will grow on me...

I don't understand why people are saying they should have made one album. If you actually look at all the albums its actually really hard to just pick 15 songs out of all 37. I just think of the three albums as one double/triple album, if you listen to all the songs in one sitting it sounds like a double/triple album. If you look at any double album, not all the songs are winners, even the White Album has bad stuff on it. Everyones gonna be able to find at least 10-20 songs they really like. Even if they cut it down to a 15 song album, it wouldn't have some of the stuff you like on it, it would have to get cut. The trilogy is just an awesome way for Green Day to release as much music as possible to fans and for all types of fans. If you like the melodic "radio-friendly" songs, punk rock mosh-inducing songs, 7 minute epics, or piano ballads, there's something for everyone.

i would have hated just 1 album (13-17 tracks- although i would have loved a 40 song album) as it would not have most of the songs on it. i actually like night life and a few others that people hate, its also nice to seen new stuff that's different from the other albums that they have made so i am very glad that they did 3 albums instead of just one

People saying they should have made one album can just put together their favorite 12-14 songs in a playlist and just listen to those. The coolest part about the wealth of songs is that everybody's album will be different, because everyone likes and dislikes different parts of the trilogy. I think that's super fucking cool, I personally like all of the songs a great deal, and love quite a bit of them. I think the Trilogy was a brilliant idea and am glad we got it.

Sometimes I think that they could have done one great album with only the best from these 37 songs and other times, after coming here and seeing people's favorite songs from each album, I think it's great that they chose to make three albums. And because of that, they had room to do experiments in the forms of 'Nightlife','Kill the DJ' and 'Brutal Love'.

Anyway, for me it is DOS>TRE>UNO. And I'll admit that 'Nightlife' has kind of grown on me and 'Kill the DJ' was just so damn addictive.

Am I the only one who likes every song?^^ I mean, there's no song I hate and I don't skip songs and stuff..

Individual ratings: ** for Uno, ***1/2 for Dos and *** for Tre.

Trilogy was a mistake, they should have trimmed the fat. Simply based on my favourites, this would be my ideal tracklisting for the one awesome album they could have put out with this material:

1. See You Tonight

2. Makeout Party

3. Wild One

4. Stray Heart

5. Wow! That's Loud

6. Amy

7. Lady Cobra

8. Brutal Love

9. 99 Revolutions

10. Angel Blue

11. Carpe Diem

12. Let Yourself Go

13. The Forgotten

Order negotiable except for the first and last tracks.

(B sides/deluxe edition: Nightlife, Drama Queen, Let Yourself Go)

There's no question that the band would've garnered more success commercially and critically had they just taken the best 12-16 songs out of these and released one album. But as a fan, I am very glad they released three albums.

I just wish they'd gone a bit further in terms of experimenting with their sound, especially on Tre. All the hype about it being epic and after Brutal Love I was expecting it to be the most un-Green Day Green Day album, but most of it is not dissimilar to Uno. It does kind of fit the description of being all over the place, like they wrote a few tracks like Brutal Love, Dirty Rotten Bastards, The Forgotten and couldn't find anywhere to put them so they stuck them on the last album of the trilogy amongst all the standard pop-punk stuff like Missing You, Little Boy Named Train etc.

THAT.

If you don't pay attention, there are some stretches (in all three albums iirc. Definitely on Tre which is what I just listened to anyway) where you can convince yourself you've just listened to the same song three times over. They are so samey. I would have loved for the trilogy to be more 'unpredictable' on the musical level, but they just went back to what's safe. I'm not a huge mark for lyrics, but most of those are mediocre too. It's like without a political 'concept' behind them they completely lose direction. Which is a shame, really.

I honestly love the trilogy. Sure not all of the songs feel like their best work but, in my opinion, we got 37 new Green Day songs in less than 6 months! If we would have only gotten one album of 12-15 songs and found out that they had enough material to make 3 albums, we would be foaming at the mouths to hear the rest of the songs that were considered for the album. I love Uno and I really like Dos. I haven't listened to Tre yet as I am waiting patiently till next Tuesday when it comes out here in the States. Like I said before, not all of the songs are spectacular, but I'm glad I have them. As far as I know, I could end up loving some of the songs I dislike at the moment right now. Regarding to the whole idea behind the trilogy, I really like the idea. It's something they haven't done before and whether or not they try it again, I'm glad they gave it a shot. Don't knock it till you try it right? Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion and I know many of you will probably disagree with my opinion and some will agree. Though we may have different opinions in regards to the trilogy, I know we all share one common thought. We can't wait for Billie Joe to feel better and for him and the rest of the guys to get back out on the road and kick all of our asses on tour!

I think it's the idea of so much material at once that scared or overwhelmed some people. Me, on the other hand when it comes to double/triple albums, I'm a frickin' megalomaniac! I love albums like The White Album, Tommy, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, The Wall, Sandinista, Double Nickels on the Dime, Meloncollie and the infinite sadness, Stadium Arcadium, etc. The reason is for most double/triple albums (all of the listed and the Trelogy included), you have a very quintessential collection of music. Soft songs, Loud songs, beautiful melodic songs, dissonant aggressive songs, wacky experiments, and the kitchen sink included too. On a single album, we would not have likely gotten some of the more experimental and non-Green Day sounding songs that this project allowed for due to its expansiveness.

A lot of people might bring up the quality vs quantity rule, but honestly, there are very few albums that are 100% full of "favorite" tracks. Even some of my favorite 8-9 song albums such as "Who's Next" or "Untitled" by Led Zeppelin have some songs I favor more than others. Most pop albums have their good songs crammed up front with filler and background taking up the rest. Even some rock bands are guilty of this. In the 1960's, pretty much every non-Beatles British invasion band used their albums as a 14 song way of selling their two hit singles. So my final point is, would you rather have a 12 song album with 5 favorite songs and 7 background songs or a 37 song diverse trilogy with 18 or so favorite songs and 19 background songs? More music, more surprises, and more chances for those background songs to be appreciated over time. I'm glad we finally got an album like this by Green Day.

Repost from earlier, but I want to put my opinion out there.

Listening to all three albums on random I can see why the band thought this was something special and released all 3 albums.

There is so much to gain from these records. I'm sitting here changing, getting ready for school, and my head is filling with all these different colors, flavors, sounds, melodies, harmony, riffs, fills, my God it could go on forever and I love it. Listening to something as raunchy as Fuck Time, to then go into something sugary like Sweet 16, then to bust open a bottle on someones head in Baby Eyes, just to get dropped back into infatuation with Stay The Night, and then something entirely new with Brutal Love. The abandon of Oh Love, the emotion of X-Kid, the dirt of Makeout Party, the pump of Carpe Diem followed by the menace of Loss of Control, then to fire on all cylinders into Dirty Rotten Bastards only to stop and reflect on Amy. Incredible, only a band like Green Day could do this to me, break up so many different feelings into separate packages to give me such musical ecstasy.

These albums, all three together, go right up there with American Idiot and Dookie in my opinion. Everyone wanted 2 Dookies and an American Idiot, but instead I feel we got something better, something different. I know that I got something more special than any attempt at replicating old glory, something I can cherish and relish in for weeks and months after release. I got Uno Dos Tre, and I'm totally content with that.

I think it's the idea of so much material at once that scared or overwhelmed some people. Me, on the other hand when it comes to double/triple albums, I'm a frickin' megalomaniac! I love albums like The White Album, Tommy, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, The Wall, Sandinista, Double Nickels on the Dime, Meloncollie and the infinite sadness, Stadium Arcadium, etc. The reason is for most double/triple albums (all of the listed and the Trelogy included), you have a very quintessential collection of music. Soft songs, Loud songs, beautiful melodic songs, dissonant aggressive songs, wacky experiments, and the kitchen sink included too. On a single album, we would not have likely gotten some of the more experimental and non-Green Day sounding songs that this project allowed for due to its expansiveness.

A lot of people might bring up the quality vs quantity rule, but honestly, there are very few albums that are 100% full of "favorite" tracks. Even some of my favorite 8-9 song albums such as "Who's Next" or "Untitled" by Led Zeppelin have some songs I favor more than others. Most pop albums have their good songs crammed up front with filler and background taking up the rest. Even some rock bands are guilty of this. In the 1960's, pretty much every non-Beatles British invasion band used their albums as a 14 song way of selling their two hit singles. So my final point is, would you rather have a 12 song album with 5 favorite songs and 7 background songs or a 37 song diverse trilogy with 18 or so favorite songs and 19 background songs? More music, more surprises, and more chances for those background songs to be appreciated over time. I'm glad we finally got an album like this by Green Day.

Hitting the nail on the fucking head man.

its all shit the only good song is Is nightlife and just because of the girl singing...

HAHA Trololololol

:creep: i realy like the 3 albums

but i think the next album could be a Serious one again imo.

Yes! I'd love that! Serious Green Day is what got me into Green Day in the first place! :P

A 100% serious album. With a few nice, fun songs. Like 21st Century Breakdown. I'd love that so much. :wub:

It'd be especially good after we got this trilogy. :P Hope we won't have to wait a long time for the next album.

What is Green Day gonna come up with NOW to impress their super-spoiled fans? :lol:

Wow, so many questions to be answered!

Okay, so I thought about this today, and yeah. Cigarettes and Valentines, Drop Out, and Walk Away were the best three songs confirmed from C&V. We got Walk Away on Tre, but does anyone think that Drop Out could be Brutal Love? Cause Brutal love says "Drop out" quite a few times. And if we already got one song, then why not the other? I think Tre has a very C&V feel, it's like a cross between Nimrod+Warning, and American Idiot+21st. It fits perfectly in between.

The wait and anticipation was worth it.

They put a lot of effort into it and it shows. It's a masterpiece. A lot of people are indifferent about it, but fuck 'em.

It's great, it's Green Day being themselves and having fun, and all 37 songs are fantastic. No other bands can do that.

Individual ratings: ** for Uno, ***1/2 for Dos and *** for Tre.

Trilogy was a mistake, they should have trimmed the fat. Simply based on my favourites, this would be my ideal tracklisting for the one awesome album they could have put out with this material:

1. See You Tonight

2. Makeout Party

3. Wild One

4. Stray Heart

5. Wow! That's Loud

6. Amy

7. Lady Cobra

8. Brutal Love

9. 99 Revolutions

10. Angel Blue

11. Carpe Diem

12. Let Yourself Go

13. The Forgotten

Order negotiable except for the first and last tracks.

(B sides/deluxe edition: Nightlife, Drama Queen, Let Yourself Go)

But then I look at your tracklisting thinking, where the hell is 'Dirty Rotten Bastards', 'Nuclear Family', 'Lazy Bones', 'Stay The Night' and for god's sake, two of my personal favorites 'Baby Eyes' and 'X-Kid'!? I also look at it and think, if I could only get 13 songs, then why the hell would I choose 'See You Tonight', 'Lady Cobra' or 'Wild One'? So in the end, when each of us can listen to our individual favorites how we wish, can you really say the trilogy was a mistake in any way? If you enjoy more than a third of the 37 songs, and say the trilogy was a flop, I think you have misunderstood the whole idea behind it.

i would have hated just 1 album (13-17 tracks- although i would have loved a 40 song album) as it would not have most of the songs on it. i actually like night life and a few others that people hate, its also nice to seen new stuff that's different from the other albums that they have made so i am very glad that they did 3 albums instead of just one

I totally agree with you! There more songs there better. I mean, in this triology there is something for everyone! I completely loved uno and dos and I can't wait to hear tré :D

Okay, so I thought about this today, and yeah. Cigarettes and Valentines, Drop Out, and Walk Away were the best three songs confirmed from C&V. We got Walk Away on Tre, but does anyone think that Drop Out could be Brutal Love? Cause Brutal love says "Drop out" quite a few times. And if we already got one song, then why not the other? I think Tre has a very C&V feel, it's like a cross between Nimrod+Warning, and American Idiot+21st. It fits perfectly in between.

I don't think anyone has the needed insight to use the term "C&V feel" based on two songs not even in the original studio version.

I think the trilogy as a whole was a great idea. There isn't a single song that I dislike. Sure, there are some that I like more than others, but I can honestly say that I'm glad I heard even the ones that aren't my favorites. Right now I feel that I like Dos more than Uno because the second half of Uno just seems to go way too fast. I feel like I've just listened to Kill The DJ and then all of a sudden it's Oh Love. Tre, on the other hand, is in league of it's own. That's my impression at least after listening to it a couple times.

Archived