Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

I love the Trilogy. I honestly do. But I just can't connect to it like I connected to Green Day's less recent stuff (American Idiot, 21CB) and even their oldest stuff (Dookie, Insomniac). American Idiot gave Green Day an identity in the eyes of the music industry. They stood for something. For change and for personal issues that people could relate to. Their music was easy to connect to and they had a consistent image. The media knew what to expect from Green Day, and it was a unique product. Now they just sing about parties and love. Not topics that stand out. My point is that they had an image and a theme and should have stuck with it.

I can only tell you my personal preferences, but I write a whole lot of songs during my free time and I can't write about something specific for too long before it becomes very jaded, predictable, boring and (the worst of all) calculated. I don't write from my heart anymore, just from my head and the songs begin too feel very shallow.

I notice this myself, so I start to write about some other things that are on my mind which I can relate to more during that time.

I think Billie got bored about all the Politics and felt like he didn't have much more to say that he wanted to get out, so he changed and started writing about love and other topics that he wanted to write about (old gangs, midlife etc.). I just think Billie is now in this phase, and it might be very different on the next album. No one knows.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dos had better songs than Uno but it doesnt feel like a cohesive album like Tre or Uno

Funny, I find Dos to be the most cohesive, with both Uno and Tre far behind.

I love the Trilogy. I honestly do. But I just can't connect to it like I connected to Green Day's less recent stuff (American Idiot, 21CB) and even their oldest stuff (Dookie, Insomniac). American Idiot gave Green Day an identity in the eyes of the music industry. They stood for something. For change and for personal issues that people could relate to. Their music was easy to connect to and they had a consistent image. The media knew what to expect from Green Day, and it was a unique product. Now they just sing about parties and love. Not topics that stand out. My point is that they had an image and a theme and should have stuck with it.

Been there, done that. Next moment to capture! Write from the heart, and from what captures it at a particular moment in time. Sometimes, that leads to a grander product. Sometimes, something smaller. Best not to set yourself too many "image" limits. That's just waiting for disaster.

The trilogy is AMAZING! ! ! ! Tré and Uno are PERFECTS!

I just can't wait til the tour begin

They have to do like The Cure 3 set with each album of the trilogy and two or three encores with the hits/classics...

The trilogy is AMAZING! ! ! ! Tré and Uno are PERFECTS!

I just can't wait til the tour begin

They have to do like The Cure 3 set with each album of the trilogy and two or three encores with the hits/classics...

Sounds like a perfect recipe to not burn out, lol. The tour dates were already intense - 25+ locations in 30 days - Man that would be super intense.

Sounds like a perfect recipe to not burn out, lol. The tour dates were already intense - 25+ locations in 30 days - Man that would be super intense.

the whole trilogy need 2 hours, in 1½ hours they could play the hits, it's not intense thinking in 21stCB 2010 Tour..

After reviewing Tre, I think the trilogy is all about growing up and trying to fight that. I know I might be wrong but here's what I think: I think Uno represents recklessness and irresponsibility..you know the I don't give a shit attitude that everyone goes through. Dos seems to take the notion of recklessness and explores the temptations that life presents us with and what consequences of giving in to those temptations. Songs like Makeout Party and Nightlife represent this really well I think. And Tre is about leaving behind that part of your life and coming to face the terms that you have to grow up no matter how much you want to fight it. What gave me this idea is that many songs on Tre mention growing up or acting like a kid when you should be over that stage.

That's what I think at least.

really happy they made a trilogy instead of an amazing album. There are some songs as Nightlife that I don't like at all but there are more than 15 songs I really love and enjoy listening to so I really prefer having like 40 songs and choose the ones I like to listen. And maybe the guys wouldnt have choose our favorites song if they had made only one album.

(sorryformyenglish)

But... Nightlife is one of the best songs of Dos!

no it isn't............ :mellow:

really happy they made a trilogy instead of an amazing album. There are some songs as Nightlife that I don't like at all but there are more than 15 songs I really love and enjoy listening to so I really prefer having like 40 songs and choose the ones I like to listen. And maybe the guys wouldnt have choose our favorites song if they had made only one album.

(sorryformyenglish)

I agree.

I made myself a 13 song playlist which I have been rocking for 3-4 days and I can't get enough of it.

1. 99 Revs

2. Stay the Night

3. Angel Blue

4. Lazy Bones

5. Stray Heart

6. Ashley

7. Baby Eyes

8. Troublemaker

9. Let Yourself Go

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards

11. Nuclear Family

12. X-Kid

13. Missing You

yes it is

if you want to know my thoughts I have to write in spanish, it's hard to me to say what I want to say lol

no it isn't............ :mellow:

I agree.

I made myself a 13 song playlist which I have been rocking for 3-4 days and I can't get enough of it.

1. 99 Revs

2. Stay the Night

3. Angel Blue

4. Lazy Bones

5. Stray Heart

6. Ashley

7. Baby Eyes

8. Troublemaker

9. Let Yourself Go

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards

11. Nuclear Family

12. X-Kid

13. Missing You

pretty good playlist, these are the songs from the trilogy I prefer.

being a huge Green Day fan I LOVED IT! 37 new songs and most of them are fantastic! there were only 2 or 3 songs I didn't care for (but I am still glad I got them). To the people saying they should of released just one album wih 14-15 songs, I ask why??? I know it would be nice to have a "perfect" album with no filler like Dookie or American Idiot, but I myself want to hear everything Green Day has to offer (even if it may not be album worthy). If you don't like some of the sonsg don't listen, but at least they are ot there to listen to if you want as opposed to NOT being out there. When they announced this I wasn't expecting to get 3 amazing albums, I mean what band can really put out 37 songs at one time that are all fantastic. That being said I loved the triliogy and how each album had a different "style" to it. GREEN DAY- FIRST BALLOT ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME!!!

I'm not going to judge the entire trilogy yet as I've not listened to any of Tre yet. I ordered the vinyl and I have to wait another month until its released so I want to have my first listen when I place the record on my turntable. Hopefully I'll be able to hold out until the vinyl is released.

All I can say is the first two were pretty awesome and entertaining albums. Kind of an experimental deviation from the last two albums they did.

They hit the nail on the head when attributing the problems of the trilogy to Billie Joe's absence, the lack of promotion, and the overwhelming amount of material. There is so much ignorance about the trilogy as well, the comments clearly show that.

By the way, in the Music section of GDA

There are Amy, Stay The Night, Drama Queen, Fuck Time still listed in the section "unrealsed song"

Maybe we have to update this.

Hmm, naw.

I do think them becoming a general "just for music" band hurt their sense of direction, though. You can hear it throughout the trilogy.

But... Nightlife is one of the best songs of Dos!

I haven't heard that opinion very often..or ever..

I love this trilogy so much that I decided to make a iUNO! iDOS! iTRE! medley I will put up later on this week maybe with these songs:
LBNT (RIFF), Nuclear Family (VERSE), Stay The Night (PRE-CHORUS), X-Kid (CHORUS), Dirty Rotten Bastards (CALLING ALL DEMONS PART), 8th Avenue Serenade (CHORUS), S*x, Drugs and Violence (I DON'T WANNA BE AN IMBECILE...), Amy (VERSE), Brutal Love (CHORUS), Lazy Bones (POST CHORUS), Stray Heart (PRE-CHORUS), X-Kid (VERSE), Carpe Diem (CHORUS), Stay The Night (CHORUS), Let Yourself Go (CHORUS), Dirty Rotten Bastards (CARRIED AWAY).

I can't get enough of DOS at the moment! I really wasn't that into it at first, but it's really grown on me a lot in the last 2 weeks. At the moment, tre>Dos>uno. I'm so happy with the music, and that they've given us so much. The songs I listen to change dependent on my mood. It's not quite American idiot, but it's not far behind. I'm going to enjoy this trilogy for many years to come. I'm happy.

It would have been incredible to see just one album with 13-15 tracks.

You'd rather have less music? I understand that if you have one album, you think there would be less filler. But you have no idea what 13-15 songs the band would choose, you could be even unhappier with them. This way, you have those 13-15 tracks that you think are outstanding, plus a lot of other cool music, ya know?

You'd rather have less music? I understand that if you have one album, you think there would be less filler. But you have no idea what 13-15 songs the band would choose, you could be even unhappier with them. This way, you have those 13-15 tracks that you think are outstanding, plus a lot of other cool music, ya know?

If they chose the right 13-15 songs, it could have been one of their best albums. easily.

Archived