Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

I found a Trilogy Add in an Austrian magazin (ok its more a warner add with gd...)
since there is no Trilogy tread i post it here (btw takes long too load because its a big picture...)
gdad.jpg

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33 out of 37 songs are over 7.0 in my opinion from this trilogy.

That's pretty much 1 song from each album that I don't like pretty much at all.

Those are Rusty James, Nightlife, Wow That's loud and the Forgotten.

Songs that are over 8.0 (i.e. already great songs) are found a bit more scarce, as there are 28 of those.

(Further dropouts: Fell for You, KtDJ, Loss of Control, Wild One, Lady Cobra)

28 of 37 equals to 75.8% i.e. more that 3/4 of the songs.

I think that's quite a good accomplishment from the band when releasing 37 songs.

To conclude; I'm pleased with the trilogy.

I don't see how anybody can possible rate Uno above Tre. Uno is a lyrical and musical mess, with the closest tracks to filler on the entire trilogy. Loss of Control and Angel Blue are just such standard songs, and there isn't even a hint of Green Day in Troublemake. Tre, on the other hand, has some of the best material the band has released in years. Songs like Brutal Love, X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards really are the definition of epic.

For me (and most people I've talked to) Uno < Dos < Tre.

Absolutely agree. I find Uno hella boring and uninspiring. I do like a couple of song on Uno but they're not among my favorite GD songs ever.

Then comes Dos where I actually like every song but it's still more Foxboro to me than Green Day, I will probably always see this as a Foxboro record. I can't relate to the lyrics at all but I do like the music on it very much, it's fun to listen to.

Tré is my favorite. Although I think it has a couple of fillers or songs that I don't find too great, it's a lot more inspirational and well, rock. And more Green Day as well imo. I think Dirty Rotten Bastard is one of the best songs GD has written in years! That alone makes Tré my favorite album. The fact that Tré is on the cover does help too :ninja:

I listened to Uno like crazy when I first got it, then I put it aside for Dos, which I now have put aside for Tre. I could see myself easily listening to Dos again, but I think I would have trouble getting into Uno again. That said, My favorites from Uno are Let Yourself Go, Kill the DJ, Stay the Night, Fell for You and Angel Blue.

Dos got me dancing wildly and singing along loudly like I would at a Green Day show. It oozes sex appeal and general raunchiness (is that a word? Hm) which is what it was intended to do. God job boys. Favorites are: Fuck Time, SWTRLF, Lazy Bones, Makeout Party, Wow! That's Loud, and Lady Cobra. So half it it, heh.

Tre - they really outdid themselves. This record shows how much they've simultaneously grown as a band but also stayed true to themselves. I hear a song like Brutal Love and I just find it so amazing, what sparks those lyrics? It's something I can't imagine. The bass and guitars and vocals and drums in Tre show how versatile each member is. Most emotional (to me) Green Day album to date. Although thAt's difficult to say because all their stuff has that undercurrent of raw emotion (even Dos). I like most of these songs, so the ones I'm not too hot about will be easier to list: Missing You, Drama Queen, the Forgotten.

I really appreciate this new music because there's so much of it I can relate to. I am quite glad that Green Day is the band I'll be hooked on most likely for forever.

Yeah I think UNO appeals to a different breed of green day fans. Please don't take that derivatively anyone who likes UNO. I'm just saying that green day can draw in Taylor swift fans and led zeppelin fans at the same time and those people appreciate different things.

I think Dos had better songs than Uno but it doesnt feel like a cohesive album like Tre or Uno

If I would choose it wold be Dos > Uno >Tré. Still, I absolutely loved Dos, no doubt.

I can't see why almost everyone thinks Uno is so bad. It's an awesome record! And I think Loss Of Control and Troublemaker were some of the best. I'm not a music-expert, so I don't know if it's classified as good, but I loved the solo of Troublemaker. The DRB-solo is awesome too!

My favorites:

Carpe Diem

Kill The DJ

Loss Of Control

Troublemaker

Angel Blue

Sweet 16

Rusty James

See You Tonight

Fuck Time

Lazy Bones

Stray Heart

Ashley

Baby Eyes

Nightlife

Amy

Missing You

Drama Queen

X-Kid

SD&V

A Little Boy Named Train

Amanda

Walk Away

DRB

99 Revolutions.

Uno's definetly my favorite out the trilogy. Dos is good, but alot of songs tend to mesh together (probably the reason why I love Nightlife and Amy so much). And Tre, I think I need more time to listen to it to get a feel for it, although X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards are quickly climbing my "favorite Green Day songs" chart.

Again, though, I liked all 3 albums. I agree that some songs sounded "filler-y", but what I love is that they threw everything out there for us to grasp and listen to.

I think what they over used in this trilogy is that sliding sound (refer to 1:40 of Amanda).. Heard this too much. Well it's just me

Yeah I think UNO appeals to a different breed of green day fans. Please don't take that derivatively anyone who likes UNO. I'm just saying that green day can draw in Taylor swift fans and led zeppelin fans at the same time and those people appreciate different things.

Yeah, I'm getting the vibe that I might be a different "breed" of fan than a lot of people here. The only songs I've really gotten into are the first 4 tracks on Uno, plus "Lazy Bones", "Stop When The Red Lights Flash", and "Amy". I haven't really been able to get into the more "epic", experimental, or heavily garage rock-flavored songs on this trilogy, and most of the songs I like would have easily fit in on Nimrod or Warning, though there are also some tracks in that style that feel like filler to me. But hey, I respect that bands have to evolve and try new things (after all, Warning and Idiot were different from what came before and I loved them!), and I know a lot of other people feel differently about the new sounds than I do. I will agree with those that say it's good that they put a lot of material out there in order appeal to the differing tastes of their fan base. Maybe some of the material will grow on me over time, and if not, then at least they've still provided me with 7 more enjoyable songs to add to my Green Day playlist.

Okay, now that I've heard all the albums multiple times, I'm ready to share my thoughts on the trilogy.

Overall, I'm extremely happy Green Day decided to release three whole albums of material. I honestly love every album, and there isn't a song that I really dislike out of all 37 songs. There are a few kind of average songs for me, but they're still enjoyable. And most of the songs are great or fantastic in my opinion. Each album is really great as a standalone piece, but they work even better when considered in the whole context. I haven't had a chance to listen to them all in order, or to shuffle all the songs together and hear how they sound (finals have been brutal....), but I'm thinking that despite their wide variance, they will flow well together and enhance the entire meaning.

I'll be honest, when I first heard Uno I liked it, but it wasn't •amazing*, you know? I LOVED Kill The DJ, Oh Love, and Troublemaker, and quickly grew to love Sweet 16, Nuclear Family, and Stay The Night. But beyond that it had to grow on me a lot. The songs were good, and they sounded more like their earlier stuff, which was nice for me since I wasn't around for those eras. But the album wasn't cohesive to me, and just seemed too easy. However, after getting Tré, I have a new appreciation for Uno that I didn't have before. It's like I needed to understand it in the context provided by Dos and Tré to fully appreciate it. Uno makes more sense now, and I've actually grown to like it as an album rather than just a collection of randomly thrown together songs. It's still my least favorite of the trilogy (I love it, just not quite as much as the other two) - it has a few of my least favorite songs of the trilogy. But I'd give it a solid B or B+.

Dos completely blew me away the first time I heard it. As soon as I was done listening to it, I wanted to hear it all again, it was that good. To me, this album has an energy that is most comparable to Green Day's early days. Not Uno, Dos. Although the songs don't sound like their earlier work, it's the energy that seems similar to me. I don't know how to explain it, but it might be in the freshness and enthusiasm these songs exude. And how they don't sound like something Green Day was consciously trying to make - they sound more natural and free, like they were just writing for themselves and what they wanted. Like they had no expectations to fulfill. The songs on Dos aren't generally songs I can personally relate to, but they each paint a clear picture and give me something I can try to understand. I really love every song on here. My favorites are Wow! That's Loud, Wild One, Lazy Bones, Stray Heart.... all of them, really. Dos sounds the most cohesive for sure, and tells the clearest and most realized story. The songs exude passion and meaning, and while they seem fun on the surface, I love that they have so much going on psychologically - it's really dark. If Uno kind of lowered my expectations on first listen, Dos definitely rose them again. I'm thinking A or even A+ for this one.

And finally Tré. Brutal Love grabbed my attention immediately, and it never strayed throughout the album. It's amazing to me how different this is from Uno and especially Dos. While the former two had lots of energy and a seemingly carefree attitude (though both definitely deal with a lot more serious subjects than people give them credit for), Tré is filled with ballads and mature reflections on life. It has the kind of lyrical and musical vibe of Warning, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown. And more Warning than I had anticipated. I love this album in a completely different way than I love Dos. The first highlight of Tré is certainly Brutal Love - it is so different from what they've done before, and so perfect!! I love the horns, I love Billie's incredible vocals (seriously, his most impressive performance on any studio album so far), and I love how raw and profound those lyrics are. Dirty Rotten Bastards is another highlight - it has multiple parts like JOS or Homecoming, but seems less structured and more chaotic and frenzied. Other favorites include The Forgotten, Drama Queen, X-Kid, and Amanda (it's my theme song..... since that's my name, lol). Great album overall. I'm still not sure if I like Tré or Dos better.... It'd probably depend on my mood. Tré gets an A.

Each of these CDs works well as a standalone album, but I think they're even better as a three piece. It's like the sum is greater than the parts - putting them together somehow adds something extra to make them even more enjoyable. There are maybe a few songs I'm not as into (Loss Of Control, Let Yourself Go, 99 Revolutions), but overall I'm glad wee got 37 new songs. I love just about all of them. I do wish Green Day had been around during their releases - enjoying it with them would have been even more special and exciting - but I'm more grateful that Billie is taking care of himself. When they come back next year, hopefully the rest of the world will see what I see in these albums. Some people may have written this thing off as a failure, but it's not over yet. It's just beginning, and I think next year it will start to make more sense.

Yeah, I'm getting the vibe that I might be a different "breed" of fan than a lot of people here. The only songs I've really gotten into are the first 4 tracks on Uno, plus "Lazy Bones", "Stop When The Red Lights Flash", and "Amy". I haven't really been able to get into the more "epic", experimental, or heavily garage rock-flavored songs on this trilogy, and most of the songs I like would have easily fit in on Nimrod or Warning, though there are also some tracks in that style that feel like filler to me. But hey, I respect that bands have to evolve and try new things (after all, Warning and Idiot were different from what came before and I loved them!), and I know a lot of other people feel differently about the new sounds than I do. I will agree with those that say it's good that they put a lot of material out there in order appeal to the differing tastes of their fan base. Maybe some of the material will grow on me over time, and if not, then at least they've still provided me with 7 more enjoyable songs to add to my Green Day playlist.

I think part of the problem for me was the way the band hyped up the records. True they did say this was fun and rejuvenating by they also said not a clunker in the bunch and that this was the most creative times in their lives. I'm not so sure I agree with either. If most of my favorite trilogy songs are borrowing melodies from older green day songs that doesn't necessarily equal creative to me.

To sum up:

Uno 5/10

Dos 5/10

Tré 6/10

I'm a bit disappointed because I reckon that only a few songs were worthy.

1. Nuclear Family

2. Troublemaker

3. Rusty James

4. Lazy Bones

5. Stray Heart

6. Wow! That's Loud

7. Brutal Love

8. 8th Avenue Serenade

9. X-Kid

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards

11. The Forgotten

This would have been a great record.

I simply don't agree with people who say "well, you got 37 songs, throw away the ones that you don't like; perhaps someone else enjoys what you think is rubbish".

The only thing I care of is having a good record. The bad idea of "let's get everything Billie's mind produces and then choose what we like" sounds to me like that we are addicted (in a negative way) to the band, that we "need" something, that we are eager to hear something new and that we don't care about quality so much, but are focused on the quantity.

I find it even difficult to explain myself :lol:.

I'm really glad Green Day realeased this trilogy.

It's not like American Idiot, sure, it's a new style, it's quite different from the Green Day we know, but it's not a bad thing. They have to move on, they have to evolve in their music and try new things.

For me, UNO is good, DOS is awesome and TRE is epic.

I don't agree with people wh say Green Day should have put a few of the "best" songs from the trilogy in one album because are there really the best songs? We all have different tastes, even if we all like Green Day, some people will want more DOS stuff, others more TRE and UNO together... Personnaly I am totally in love with Walk Away for example but some people can think it's not one the best song and that it wouldn't have made a difference if it was there or not...See what I mean?

Now, I don't think Green day will be releasing a new album for 2 or 3 years :'( but we have f*cking great 37 songs to listen to again and again :DD and of course all the other Green day songs.

To review the 3 albums...

When Oh love was released I was like "OMG this is so awesome!!!". I guess this was the effect of FINALLY listening to new Green Day stuff, because now I think it's me least favourite song of the trilogy :P

Then UNO came out. It's a really good album and instantly loved Stay the Night (that bridge :wub: ) , Let Yourself Go (but I way prefer the live version!! :DDD) and Sweet 16 and Rusty James, who mark the "nostalgic parts" to the album.

For DOS, I think I almost love every single song :DDD but Ashley is definetly my favourite :wub:

And then TRE, which are "stadium" songs and which will rock on concert, it's and EPIC album :wub::wub:

I think I could probably compose a list of generally agreed upon best songs

Nuclear family

Stay the night

Rusty James

Lazy bones

Wild one

Stray heart

Amy

Brutal love

Missing you

X kid

Dirty rotten bastards

Those all seem to be reviewed as favorites by more people than any others. Certainly some people would disagree and this wouldn't be my stripped down record but I do think there's a general consensus.

I think I could probably compose a list of generally agreed upon best songs

Nuclear family

Stay the night

Rusty James

Lazy bones

Wild one

Stray heart

Amy

Brutal love

Missing you

X kid

Dirty rotten bastards

Those all seem to be reviewed as favorites by more people than any others. Certainly some people would disagree and this wouldn't be my stripped down record but I do think there's a general consensus.

I think you can include 99 revs in there as well, but I would agree with that list (in being the most loved here, not my choices)

I think you can include 99 revs in there as well, but I would agree with that list (in being the most loved here, not my choices)

You're probably right. I was wavering on that one because I've seen a few people who absolutely hate it, but looking through the tre thread again I think t is one of the favorites after all.

I think Dos! was probably my favourite actually. I thought it would be Uno! but I was wrong. In general, the music was definitely over the lyrics in all the albums, but after listening to them for a while a lot of the songs seem to follow a similar pattern. I can feel that the guys had fun making the records and produced some great and catchy songs, but the trilogy is definitely not their best work in my opinion.

But I know that they haven't lost their spark one bit. A lot of people say 'they have to get out of the game' when I tell them they're 40. I totally disagree. There was some really amazing guitar, bass and drums which I've never really seen Green Day accomplish before throughout the records, and the work of an artist is difficult. It's hard to put a lot of work into making all that material and then release it to the world. I know as an artist myself, trying to exhibit your work is terrifying because it is from your soul and it's displayed to anyone.

I really enjoyed the trilogy from a fangirl perspective. It produced songbooks, merch, shirts, three CD's, countless songs, and just the general outrageous trilogy hype. I loved pre-ordering the box set and sewing the patch onto my backpack. I loved fraking on tumblr about when Oh Love was released.I loved being the first to interpret the music and make lyric videos. I loved pulling an all-nighter to get updates on the echoplex concert. The whole idea was phenomenal in this aspect, but as I've said before I don't think it's their best. They have some really amazing songs on there that top a lot of their previous stuff for me, but as a whole the trilogy isn't ranked too high in my vague album-liking list.

Wow that was a long post :P

I don't get the people that say they should have made one huge, grammy winning, chart-topping album, seriously? Three in a row? that was never gonna happen :P However as a fan, isn't a trilogy of albums from your favourite band an absolute dream come true? THREE albums over a period of a couple of months. there are fans out there whose favourite band wait ten years to put out a new album, yet, people still complain about getting three haha XD

As for the music, I've enjoyed every single song (some more than others :P) But I'm a hardcore fan, I'm bound to like the majoirty of music they produce. Would my thoughts on the trilogy be different if I wasn't a serious fan? maybe, but who knows? Among my fave songs are Stay the Night, Fell For You, Loss Of Control, Angel Blue, Lazy Bones, Ashley, Baby Eyes (weird, considering I hated it at first) Lady Cobra, X-kid (even if I've only heard one minute of it, I know it's gonna be a favourite) 99 revolutions, I am yet to hear most of Tre and will be adding more to the list most probably. I think that DRB may be in there considering all the hype it's getting ;)

I can't deny that I liked the way they released so much stuff in a matter of months, but some of the songs on the trilogy are poorer than what they usually put out. It was indeed expected that they'd include songs that would usually be rendered b-sides or unreleased, but it's a shame that a large part of these albums in my ipod would be neglected in favour of other albums.

On the other hand, they, already having released two massive hit albums, did gather more attention by releasing a trilogy than they would have with a single or double album. Had it not been for Billie's rehab, Dos and Tre would have been promoted more and at least be as successful on charts and sales as Uno. So releasing a trilogy does have its upsides as well as downsides imo.

After Dos!, I was starting to doubt the trilogy a little bit. It just wasn't blowing me away in the way I was hoping it would. There were some AMAZING songs scattered throughout, but overall I wasn't feeling it. I was missing that emotional connection that I always feel with Green Day's music.

And then Tre! came out. Holy. Shit. Suddenly the entire trilogy made sense to me. Tre! is epic and amazing and I am so completely enamored with it. And as I look back over the trilogy as a whole, I am so impressed with how successfully the band tried out different genres of music. It is quite an accomplishment, and I am SO glad that they chose to release three albums instead of narrowing the track list down to one album. Per usual, they knew exactly what they were doing.

I like all three albums for different reasons. Uno! is awesome because it has that punchy pop-punk sounds that goes back to their 39/Smooth and Kerplunk days. Sweet 16 and Rusty James are phenomenal, as are Nuclear Family and Kill the DJ. It is an incredibly solid album that is super fun to listen to. Dos! has some unbelievable stand-out songs. Lazy Bones is just... wow. One of my favorite Green Day songs. Definitely in my top 5 for the trilogy as a whole. Amy is stunning. I adore Ashley and Wow! That's Loud. Stray Heart is perfection. Lyrically, there were a handful of songs I really didn't care for on Dos!. Even so, the amazing songs on the album made up for the ones I didn't like as much.

Tre! is my favorite because SO MANY SONGS just blow my mind with how fantastic they are. Brutal Love is so different and experimental for them, and holy hell, it is a beauty. I could say that for all of them, really - I'm looking at the songs on iTunes and I just love all of them. Walk Away, X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards are the other huge standouts, though.

I'm just really proud of the guys for these albums. I hope they're proud, too, because they did an amazing job. Even though it is a lot of material, they wouldn't release songs if they didn't feel that they were of the best quality. They take their time and never release music for the sake of releasing music. This trilogy was very well thought out and the result is amazing.

Top 10 in no particular order (which is so hard and I'm probably omitting ones that I love):

Lazy Bones

Brutal Love

Stray Heart

Walk Away

Rusty James

Kill the DJ

Dirty Rotten Bastards

X-Kid

Nuclear Family

Amy

... and I could keep going, really. I think the biggest sign that this trilogy was a success is that I could pick more songs that are my favorite than what would fit onto the average album length. There are a good 20 songs I could put on my absolute favorite list for this trilogy.

On Uno, I really enjoyed Kill the DJ, Let Yourself Go, and Angel Blue the most. I think it's because this album was full of their roots and pop-punk style songs. But, with a lot of them they 're good with great melodies but they seem to have no energy and just are too mellow. This isn't per say like "Sweet 16" (love it) or "Oh Love (not so much LOVE it but it's a good average song). These tracks are meant to be more mellow. but, like the first 3 tracks, especially "stay the night" and i don't know why, they just seem to not have that much emotion and energy as they should. I think it has something to do with how they edited the album and put it together and maybe even how they have the guitar sound. I don't' know, but "Let Yourself Go completely did great with winning over an in your face pop punk song.

On Dos, sometimes i just feel the lyrics get a little out of control and ratchet xD like they're kind of horrible and i definitely can't relate to them. But, then you see songs that are completely opposite and have great lyrics like "Amy" and really mean something. Music wise, now this album had ENERGY and i felt it. I love the diversity on this album. I just can't get bored with it.

On Tre, i listened to it for the first time honestly like "blah this is too slow". I couldn't get into "Brutal Love" i was like what is this? And confused because everyone said they didn't want or like 21st centry breakdown but yet this album felt like another 21st century breakdown to me. The songs just kept sounding bland and similar until i got to X-kid and of course DRB stood out by far. Then I listened to it again, I realized Brutal Love is actually a beautiful meaningful song though it's definitely far from my favorite. "missing you" came on and i freaking loved it. Those drum rolls. 8th Ave. Serenade, with "ohhs", i can't help but sing a long. It's sort of like an indie song almost. I realized Tre is actually an amazing solid album and basically a mix of uno and dos and their previous sound.

As of my exact order of preference of the Trilogy albums, for me this is really one whole album that tells the story and symbolizes the growth of the band from one album to the other. Plus if i put it in worst to best order, i know i'd change my mind tomorrow. I'm so glad the band did this and it's clear they did it for us and wanted us the fans, to be like yay more music! It's obvious i don't think they can pick a trademark sound right now but hey, i kind of love that. Because of that, we get this diversity from the band that defines them. The next album probably will not be a trilogy or double album but i see it sounding more like Dos as of now. I don't know why that's just what i picture. They really have fun with the garage rock sound plus it's the most diverse album on the trilogy. No matter what they do, it will be fantastic and even it somehow genuinely isn't, it's green day i'll support it, and it'll grow on me.

Until then, can't wait till they can start touring again and have the time of their lives! Green Day forever!

I love the Trilogy. I honestly do. But I just can't connect to it like I connected to Green Day's less recent stuff (American Idiot, 21CB) and even their oldest stuff (Dookie, Insomniac). American Idiot gave Green Day an identity in the eyes of the music industry. They stood for something. For change and for personal issues that people could relate to. Their music was easy to connect to and they had a consistent image. The media knew what to expect from Green Day, and it was a unique product. Now they just sing about parties and love. Not topics that stand out. My point is that they had an image and a theme and should have stuck with it.

Archived