Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

If they chose the right 13-15 songs, it could have been one of their best albums. easily.

The point I'm getting at, is that there isn't a 'right' 13-15 songs, not everyone would be able to agree on the best 13-15 songs off of the 3 albums, so there would still be people who think the albums contained 'filler' and were unhappy with the albums. Either way you still have those 13-15 songs, and everyone else has their top 13-15 trilogy songs. So it's not like we're missing out on anything by not having our favorites together on one album, we've still got some of their best music, plus more music.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dos was the best of it in my opinion really, blew my mind, tre had some real good songs and uno was the worst of it to me with a few 'savers'.

I wonder how many there is who honestly love this whole thing. I've tried to be totally honest with myself when proscessing these albums, and I have mixed feelings. A part of me knows that I should be satisfied with getting so many songs, and that I can just pick my favourites myself and compile my ideal album. However, a part of me wishes that they had just released a 10-15 track album, just to see them top the charts and being applauded by the critics again. Not really sure what to make of it, I guess the grass is just always greener on the other side, somehow.

If they chose the right 13-15 songs, it could have been one of their best albums. easily.

Your definition of the "right" songs aren't the same as mine. They released 37 songs to satisfy everyone, not just you.

Sorry, but I can't understand you! The trilogy is perfect, you can have more or less favorites songs but the three albums together are amazing, you have classic green day's songs, you have experimental songs and you have rock songs! Kill the DJ, Nightlife and Brutal Love isn't for anyone but are great song, you have to open your mind, the bass in Kill the DJ and Nightlife is terrific. Uno and Tre for me are my new favorites Green Day's albums with Insomoniac and Kerplunk

I've been trying to work my mind around the trilogy over the past few weeks, and I'm glad the boys chose this route. Sure, some songs don't set the world on fire for me, but would my life be any better if I had never heard those songs? Absolutely not. With Uno, Dos, and Tre, Green Day grabbed several handfuls of darts and hurtled them at the dartboard. Certain darts were closer to the target than others, but I'm ultimately thankful for the game.

Today I listened to the whole thing while killing zombies.

It made the blood pump down under, and I think the whole thing is perfect, apart from Maybe I'll See You Tonight. Boring as hell, but it's like the break you take in sex to put on a condom before it's fuck time.

Uno wasn't a good effort, and didn't contain any real gems accept Nuclear Family and Rusty James, in my opinion.
I think Dos is the best. It has the least amount of week songs and is well put together album-wise.
Tre is all over the place. Starting out with a soft, epic song, which I don't like, and then it contains the best and worst stuff on the Trilogy. Tracks 6-9 I just skip over. overall, it just doesn't flow together very well.

Green Day should've just released one amazing album.
I would've done it like this.

1: Nuclear Family

2: 8th Ave. Serenade

3: Lazy Bones

4: Rusty James

5: Missing You

6: Makeout Party

7: Ashley

8: Fuck Time
9: Stray Heart
10: Drama Queen

11: X-Kid

12: 99 Revolutions

13: Dirty Rotten Bastards

14: Brutal Love

15: The Forgotten

In my opinion the Uno Dos Tré! best of album should be like this:

1. Nuclear Family

2. Lazy Bones

3. Angel Blue

4. Dirty Rotten Bastards

5. Oh Love

6. Brutal Love

7. Ashley

8. Makeout Party

9. Let Yourself Go

10. Amanda

11. 99 Revolutions

12. Wild One

13. X-kid

14. Amy

15. The Forgotten

Truth be told, I wasn't a huge fan when I listened to the albums for the first time. But as of recently, they've grown on me so much. They're all on repeat. Dos is my favorite of the trio.

I listened to Tre tonight, I get so emotional when I do. It seems my emotional reactions to the albums perfectly match what the guys said about their progression. Uno was more getting ready for the party - I can chill and feel pretty good when I listen to something like Nuclear Family or Stay the Night. Kill the DJ and Let Yourself Go get me all hyped up, and Oh Love finishes this preparation with "I'm fucking ready for anything!" Then Dos has me rocking out, shaking it up, feeling pretty hot, not gonna lie. It's a more carnal reaction with Dos, but there are still emotions with that, like an urgency to get up and move. Tre happens and I am in a completely different place; this album takes me off of Earth for 46 minutes and when I return I want to go back to reflecting, daydreaming, wanting to do something with my life.

Listened to all three albums in a row for the first time today and it really made me appreciate the sheer scope of this project. Seriously, we got almost 40 fucking new songs. That's crazy. I love the trilogy. As a combined 37-song album, it's my second favorite Green Day release ever, only behind American Idiot, which I don't think they'll ever top.

Hello all, this topic has been buzzing around in my head for a while now. So I guess I'll give my two cents on all of this.

For time and length sake I'm not going to go off on every song on every album on the trilogy, instead I'll just talk about the songs that really stood out for me, and the ones that weren't all that great in my opinion...which will probably still be kinda long but idk bare with me!

+Nuclear Family: A great intro into Uno and the trilogy, fast paced with a catchy chorus and a lot of attitude,

+Stay the Night: Just wonderful in my opinion, one of the best of the three albums, just the whole attitude the song has "Do you wanna share a ride and get the fuck out of this joint?" it's incredible. Everyone does a great job and the song sounds so tight. The breakdown is also just incredible

+Let Yourself Go: In your face, fuck you and the horse you rode in on, just awesome.

+Kill the Dj: I'm not gonna lie, I like the dance and groove feel this track has. I know this song has a lot of love and hate on both ends, but I just think it's awesome.

+Loss of Control: "I wanna find me a better scene where it's not the same opinion, I'd rather go to a funeral than to this high school reunion" Nuff said,

+Sweet 16: This song is a nice change of pace. A lovely ode to past loves both the ladies and gents can appreciate

+Oh Love: Another song that's either love it or hate it, when I first heard it I was mostly like "Wooh? :I" Now I enjoy it more and more. Simple guitar and chorus, but hey, catchy as hell.

+Lazy Bones: Ever since I heard the demo from Angry Birds I fell in love with this song, I don't know why, there's just something infectious about it, something amazing. Another stand out track. The lyrics, the music although simple does it right. Everything just clicks

+Ashley: I can't help but just think of the chick from "Fight Club" whenever I hear this song. I can't find the right words to describe this song, I feel like nothing I say will do it justice. But just awesome.

+Nightlife: Woah Woah let me explain. Everyone is so quick to write this song off saying it sucks and Lady Cobra ruins it and etc. Look guys, Mike Dirnt's Bass on this song is fucking incredible, it has a sick groove that you can't deny sounds great. I'd much rather listen to Lady Cobra rap than Nikki Minaj, am I right? This song just reeks of sleaze and debauchery and it really embodies well what was set up in Lady Cobra "She just wants to get me high" when I listen to this song I imagine like the dirtiest strip club with chicks that are bad news. And the guitar near the end of the track, so dark, gotta dig it.

+Brutal Love: This song reminds me of something my rents probably listened to, this track I can't always quite find the words to describe it properly. It just works though, and when Billie bellows out the word "Mind" when the music stops. Epic.

+X-Kid: Another stand out track, I can just imagine a montage of like good times shared with family and friends to this song. And the lyrics are some of the best

+Dirty Rotten Bastards: 7 Minute's of Epic. The "Yeaaaaaahs" the "Ladadada Dee" and the last repeats of "We're carried away" it's like if Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming had a Baby.

+99 Revolutions: A catchy song that has enough political energy that takes me back to American Idiot

+The Forgotten: A nice ballad and ending to the trilogy, the end credits to it all.

Now the Meh

-Troublemaker: It didn't exactly hook me like the other tracks off of Uno, it eventually grew on me a bit, but it's one I do skip here and there.

-See You Tonight: I'd probably enjoy this a bit more if it was either A. Longer or B. Not the intro to the album claiming it was the start of the party. I felt either they should of just kicked things off with Fuck Time or had a more upbeat track leading into Fuck Time.

-Wild One: Sort of boring in my opinion. I'm not sure, I heard the little snippet of this and thought it would have been better, I finally heard the full song and just meh.

-Little Boy Named Train: Lyrics mostly, the music is great, but the lyrics take me out of the song. "Serious people are funny to me, funny people seem so serious"...okay?

-Walk Away: It starts out fine, great even! But mostly the same deal, some lyrics make me stop and go huh? "You're gonna need a parachute or a used pair of shoes and Walk Away!"...What?

Well...that was longer than I hoped. Anywho, Other songs I didn't name I enjoy, they didn't stand out per-se, but I enjoyed them. Overall I'm very happy with the trilogy. I've read it multiple times and yeah I totally agree, this is 37 songs in a few months. Who does that now a days? It's incredible! Guys this is just my opinion, I don't want to be hung for it. But!! I do encourage not debates but like conversations about songs, maybe one of my pluses is one of your minuses, vise versa. I'd love to talk and discuss with people about any song on the trilogy. Please feel free to respond to this.

Thanks Guys(:

I like the trilogy. Dos is still the best in my opinion. Tré grew on me, and I really go for this "Ra Da Da Da De".... damn, I love that line! It´s what the whole trilogy is about: fun with a meaning. :D

Having now fully listened to all three albums I've got to say I've absolutely loved the Trilogy! :)
For me, it's just got better and better. ¡Uno! was great, I liked ¡Dos! even more and ¡Tré! is just something else. It's a shame they've barely been promoted as ¡Tré! is one of Green Day's best albums in my opinion!
If I had to pick 12 songs from the 37, this would be my top 12:
1) Angel Blue
2) Rusty James
3) Stop When The Red Lights Flash
4) Lazy Bones
5) Stray Heart
6) Baby Eyes
7) Lady Cobra
8) Brutal Love
9) X-Kid
10) Sex, Drugs & Violence
11) Amanda
12) Dirty Rotten Bastards
But I loved all three albums anyway and they did the right thing releasing a trilogy!
My favorites from ¡Uno! are Angel Blue and Rusty James, but the entire album was very consistent. Nuclear Family, Kill the DJ, Troublemaker and Sweet 16 are just some of my other highlights. Loss of Control and Oh Love were my least favorite (but by no means bad).
For ¡Dos! my favorite song is without a doubt Lazy Bones - everything about it is perfect, the lyrics, the music. I'd say at the moment it's my 3rd favorite Green Day song behind JOS and Homecoming. Stray Heart is my 2nd favorite, it's a wonderful song from start to finish and the guitar solo kills me every time! (One of my favorite moments of the trilogy). ¡Dos! has my two least favorite songs from the trilogy but I love the other 11 songs A LOT which is why I prefer it to ¡Uno! as a whole. Nightlife is the only song I don't really like, it's not a bad song, it's just not for me and I don't really like the effect on Billie's voice. Makeout Party is the other, which is an alright song but I usually find myself skipping it.
For ¡Tré! my favorite song would probably be Dirty Rotten Bastards - it's exactly what I was expecting - but it's very close! Brutal Love is awesome, I just love the way it builds up throughout the song. X-Kid is another unbelievable song, and there are parts of SD&V and Amanda that are absolutely brilliant. I could go on forever about ¡Tré! 8th Avenue Serenade is my least favorite but is still fantastic. The Forgotten is a perfect way to end the trilogy in my opinion.
I'm really sad it's over - having your favorite band release a Trilogy of albums is soooo exciting! Haha - but I'll be hoping to see Green Day (for the first time!) as soon as I possibly can when they next come to the UK so I can hear some of these songs live! Hoping that will be soon. :)

I decided to take some time to really let the albums sink in before giving my opinion on them. So, here it goes. First of all, I love this trilogy. I'm a huge fan of Warning and its melodic, good songwriting, and to me this trilogy is sort of a more upbeat, varied Warning. It's really beyond me how so many Green Day fans can be disappointed in many of the songs on this album. I can honestly say, cross my heart, that I am not disappointed in any of the songs. As a matter of fact, I expected very little from this trilogy because of the sheer number of songs to be released, but I was blown away by the quality of many of the songs. I loved Uno instantly when I heard it, I was so relieved that they decided to move away from the whole heavy, political "rock opera" thing and go back to being just fun, punk Green Day, the band that I fell in love with in primary school. Then Dos came out, and I saw how many Green Day fans reacted to it (negatively). Again, I expected very little, but I was blown away. I particularly loved the experimental Nightlife (I guess me and a lot of other Green Day fans don't have a lot in common, going by what's said on this board). Finally Tre came out, the one album that I had quite high hopes for, and it's honestly one of the best Green Day albums I've ever heard. Warning, make room for your equal. Thank you Green Day for making this fan's dreams come true by allowing us to enjoy good old Green day again to such a large extent.

My thoughts on the trilogy are hard to put in a text :lol: I really, really like the trilogy. Both ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! have the second and third place in my Green Day album ranking :) I love both.

I don't mind ¡Uno! thought, to me ¡Uno! is like ¡Tré! but not as good :S Also poppy, but without that spark in many songs. To me it has a few killer songs (Stay The Night, Kill the DJ (gets so much better live) and Let Yourself Go) and all the other songs, with the exception of Oh Love in my opinion, are all just 'ok' songs. When I first listened to it I was, although I couldn't believe it, disappointed and although I didn't regret buying the album I knew it was not what I was expecting or wanted. Plus, this album has many songs I don't care about all together :( 6 songs I don't care about in a row are too much to me. 6/10

However, ¡Dos! totally restored my faith in the trilogy with most of its songs being so fucking good I can't even choose only one to be my favorite! :D Fuck Time, SWTRLF, Lazy Bones, Wild One, Wow That's Loud, Lady Cobra, Nightlife, Amy... ALL GOOD SONGS!! :woot: The two songs I didn't really like as much as the others were Baby Eyes and Ashley. They are 'ok' too. I just don't feel like randomly listening to them like any other song. on ¡Dos!. I prefer even See You Tonight, which is an amazing opening! That doesn't make the album overall any worse though. 10/10

Then I got to hear ¡Tré!. ¡Tré! is as epic as Green Day were saying. All those strings, well-worked vocals, better lyrics... drool.gif It also has ALL good songs! I like all of those songs. My least favorite is Brutal Love, but I can't say it's bad at all. It's just not my kind of song. The strong songs in this album for me are: Missing You, 8th Avenue Serenade, X-Kid, A Little Boy Named Train, Walk Away, Dirty Rotten Bastards and The Forgotten. I know, too many :lol: ¡Tré! is just that good. 10/10

In conclusion: I loved the trilogy and I like all three albums, but I get the impression ¡Uno! could have been better if they had used some of those songs that got cut instead of 'meh' songs like Fell For You, Loss of Control, Troublemaker, Angel Blue, Sweet 16 and maybe Rusty James too =/ My final punctuation for the trilogy is 9/10. It could have been 10 if it wasn't for ¡Uno!.

I've been trying to work my mind around the trilogy over the past few weeks, and I'm glad the boys chose this route. Sure, some songs don't set the world on fire for me, but would my life be any better if I had never heard those songs? Absolutely not. With Uno, Dos, and Tre, Green Day grabbed several handfuls of darts and hurtled them at the dartboard. Certain darts were closer to the target than others, but I'm ultimately thankful for the game.

Great post and well put. :)

Archived