Trilogy Thoughts

Drop Dead Hideous

Since the trilogy thread is closed, I'll just open this. Mods feel free to close this if this is not thread worthy.

So what are you opinions now that the we're now able to listen to all of the songs in this trilogy?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow this is unnecessary.

I disagree, I think it's fine to have a place to discuss the Trilogy as a whole (as opposed to the albums individually). Carry on.

After listening to all 3 albums, my fears were confirmed :(

Uno is great, Dos is average and Tre is just bad. I think they totally lost control over the whole writing process and couldn't distinguish between good and bad music anymore. One album with 12-14 tracks would have been the best solution, they would have been able to release some B-sides and everyone would be happy because there IS amazing music on it...

I'm curious how many songs they're going to perform live, but overall the whole project didn't work really well in my opinion.

I'd give this trilogy 6.75/10. Dos>Uno>Tre. If I were to rank all my Green Day albums I'd put Tre last, Uno above 21stCB and Dos a spot or two above Uno.

Top 3 are Lazy Bones, Nuclear Family and X-Kid.

Bottom 3 are Carpe Diem, Sex Drugs and Violence, and Nightlife.

I think its a shame Let Yourself Go and Make Out Party don't have good lyrics to back up their awesome music. I think Oh Love was a poor choice for first single and that Stay The Night would have been better. I would have liked a bit of distorted guitars as well and Billie's voice didn't sound as strong as usual. But in the end they would have been better off with 1 awesome album.

I gave Sex Drugs and Violence another listen, Mikes line is just hilarious lol

After listening to all 3 albums, my fears were confirmed :(

Uno is great, Dos is average and Tre is just bad. I think they totally lost control over the whole writing process and couldn't distinguish between good and bad music anymore. One album with 12-14 tracks would have been the best solution, they would have been able to release some B-sides and everyone would be happy because there IS amazing music on it...

I'm curious how many songs they're going to perform live, but overall the whole project didn't work really well in my opinion.

I don't see how anybody can possible rate Uno above Tre. Uno is a lyrical and musical mess, with the closest tracks to filler on the entire trilogy. Loss of Control and Angel Blue are just such standard songs, and there isn't even a hint of Green Day in Troublemake. Tre, on the other hand, has some of the best material the band has released in years. Songs like Brutal Love, X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards really are the definition of epic.

For me (and most people I've talked to) Uno < Dos < Tre.

i really like the Trilogy because we got 37 awesome songs and ther are only 3 Songs (one on each album somehow strange haha) that i don't like ( Oh love, SWTRDF, Amanda) so for me 34 awesome new songs :) I also like the concept of every Album having a diferent feeling / sound so they work as singel albums but they also work as one long album with 3 Acts like 21CB . And the fact that they are not thas serious /dark like AI and 21CB is good to because i really missed a " just Fun" Album in the Green Day Discography (ok maybee Nimrod but not really) but i think the next album could be a Serious one again imo.

greenday1.png

I always had a weird feeling from the trilogy ever since it was announced, and I still can't put my finger on why. I think the idea and the intentions for the trilogy were good, but I don't think anyone (the band or Warner) really knew how much it was going to take to successfully promote all 3 albums. That, coupled with the band not being around for tours and stuff, it just kind of hampered the trilogy's releases.

That being said, I think was a kind of a neat concept to do, and one of the reasons I like it is because I have all of these songs to choose from to make my own playlist. I liked Uno the best, but I can't tell if it's because I had more time to listen and get used to the songs than I did with Dos or Tre (obviously it just leaked, so who knows).

I don't like the idea that the band should have released a single album of 14/15 amazing songs, and left the rest as b-sides or whatever. Look, we're still getting 14/15 amazing songs, plus more than twenty more!

The fact that there is not a single song on the trilogy which is unanimously disliked (even Nightlife is a favourite among some) proves that putting out 37 songs was worth it. Some people loved Uno and hated Tre. Some thought Kill the DJ was one of the band's best songs. Some thought Dirty Rotten Bastards was a load of rubbish. I think the only way you can tell if an album (or set of albums) has underperformed, is if the fans are almost unanimous in its mediocrity. Look at Linkin Park's new stuff - it's so polarising. Some people (like me) love it, while others hate it. According to Mike Shinoda, the most recent two albums were successful, in that they provoked massively diverse reactions from the fans. That's what music's about!

Overall, the music > lyrics

There are some serious kickass riffs, basslines, solos and vocals. I hear guitar that I didn't know Billie could even do! Not to doubt his music ability, but I'm hearing some amazing guitar that reminds me of 39/smooth with great solos in the middle. But the lyrics themselves are sub-par. These songs are fun, which is what they wanted to achieve. They are having fun with these songs, but the majority of them are songs that I will forget. There are only a small list of absolute standouts out of such a large amount. This has been a very strange era so far. I wouldn't regret it or call it a failure. Just...different.

I also don't like the thought of all the standout songs from each album to be put in one single Apple, it "feels scattershot and slapped together, making it difficult to enjoy on its own merits" :) It's too early to call this a failed trilogy, and after all this is Green Day :) Maybe we just had our expectations too high.

Can't really consider it anything other than a worthwhile experiment. 37 songs and the closest we have to a unanimous failure is Nightlife. The only song I think is absolutely terrible is The Forgotten whilst a lot of people love it (I'm not one for cliche album-closing-ballad-by-numbers). Sure there is a lot of filler but there are enough great songs in there to justify the whole thing. I counted 19 songs with 5 star ratings on my itunes, and only four with 3 star ratings. (This is how I decide how good albums are haha).

I just wish they'd gone a bit further in terms of experimenting with their sound, especially on Tre. All the hype about it being epic and after Brutal Love I was expecting it to be the most un-Green Day Green Day album, but most of it is not dissimilar to Uno. It does kind of fit the description of being all over the place, like they wrote a few tracks like Brutal Love, Dirty Rotten Bastards, The Forgotten and couldn't find anywhere to put them so they stuck them on the last album of the trilogy amongst all the standard pop-punk stuff like Missing You, Little Boy Named Train etc.

Well, none of the albums impressed so much, but it's ok. Nothing to whine about, since the lyrics in their majority are lame for the level of Billie Joe. My fav is Dos, cause it sounds as Billie Joe promised, a garage album, thing that don't happen with Uno, and Tre... I have to listen it a bit more yet to give my impressions.

Cool music anyway, Wow, that's loud and Makeout party is by far the best solos of the trilogy. But the solos level, overusing the bends is a bit annoying, same with the cleaner tones.

I don't complain about the number of songs, but quality is not quantity.

The point with making one album instead of three is that they would focus on the songs more.Now many songs feel like fillers or unfinished.

Yeah we still get many great songs and many others which aren't awesome but still good but if they focused on less songs they could have made the album of they're career or something...I don't know...

I enjoy the trilogy a lot. It fits perfectly where I am in my life right now, I wouldn't want something like AI or 21CB right now. So having so many new songs is incredible.

However I really don't see the whole 'getting ready for party - party - redemption' thing that BJ was talking about, some few elements yes, but not really as a concept for the three albums. To me it feels like he just said that because he felt like the albums had to have a concept or something :confused:

About the lyrics, I actually found them a bit refreshing after the lyrics from 21stCB and even American Idiot.

Well considering that they are never gonna do a trilogy again (for obvious reasons), i think they did an awesome job.

since i have uno! heard dos! and only have heard X-kid and 99 Revolutions. im saying uno is better than 21cb Dos is almost equivalent to the Foxboro Hot Tubs Album . eh.

i still plan on getting dos and tre though.

if i had to rate the two albums uno would get a solid 8 and dos would get a 7.5

¡Uno! gets top honors for being coherent as an album. The sub par lyric argument is one I agree with, but feels like beating a dead horse at this point. And for Christ's sake, the "I Fought The Law" riff needs to retired. Anyone else notice it cropping up on all three albums in a few of the solos? Kind of annoying... Anyway, the songs on ¡Uno! songs are catchy as all get out, but not anything to write home about. I'd give it a 6-10, and that's probably generous. A few standouts are Oh Love (sue me) and Trouble maker (for the dope solo) and a couple others...

¡Dos! ought to have been focused down into an actual second FoxTubs record. I, for better or worse, tend to expect a little less from side projects (but I still love 'em), so I'd have been relatively happy with most of these tracks appearing on Duck and Cover!!!! (my vote for the name of the second HotFox record). "Just having fun" is what their alter-egos are for, and I love them for it. But Green Day itself is an institution. These albums are like like playing beer pong in a church... It just ain't right, and someone's going to hell. Better lyrics than ¡Uno!, though. At least on the non "garage" songs. Maybe a 6.5-10. I'll take SWTRLF, Wild One, Lazy Bones, Baby Eyes, and Wow!, please.

¡Tre!, my man... So much promise. I listened to you yesterday with no sleep thanks to a history paper, and I hated you. But with a few dozen z's under my belt, you're growing on me a little. I'm guessing you're suffering from sleep deprivation, too, cause you're all over the place. Enough talking to the album... Utterly unfocused. But some killer tracks, with the fucking lyric issue again. The first verse of Missing You is dope as hell, and the ¡Quatro! preview had me stoked, but the second verse is dumb. Just dumb. Likewise, I like the sound of Sexy Drug Train, but there's a disconnect with the content and the delivery system. (And am I the only one really bothered by the final line in Brutal Love? It almost sounds like it's sung way out of tune for a split second.) That said, I formally retract my criticism of DRB. It could have used an extra minute or maybe two to give it some better transitions between sections, but I'm a fan now. 6-10, I guess. Stay away from Brutal Love (don't those horns sound like they're coming out of an old Casio Keyboard?) and The Forgotten. Cram your sound suckers with a big wad of X-Kid, DRB, and 8th Ave.

The trilogy as a whole? 5-10, at best. As an experiment, it flopped big time for me. Its whole is less than the sum of its parts... But never fear, Idiots; Green Day will be back.

Oooh! Should I go back and say the trilogy is a Little Boy Named Train Wreck? Is that clever? Yes, but no.

Archived