The new sound of Green Day

Misterglasshalfempty

Hello, everyone! :D I suspect that this may not be a valid topic, but for us audiophiles out there i think it's worth discussing.

We've all read in recent interviews that Billie wanted to get away from this whole "Marshall-stack-sound" that they've had earlier, especially on their two latest rock operas. I feel that the Marshall-sound gave the songs and extra dimension. I mean, sometimes, when I feel the song building up its intensity, I expect some sort of climax were they just add a bunch of layered guitars, giving it an extra kick. But then no. I don't know if I'm being picky, it's just my two cents.

So my question is: What do you guys think of Green Days new sound? Are you diggin' it? Do you think it works well with the new material, or would you prefer to see them go back to their old ways? What album do you prefer, sound-wise? Share your thoughts on my post, or just discuss the sound of their records in general. :)

I really enjoyed the Marshall sound they had going. I mean, the new 'clean' sound is good, but it gets old fast. Billie's vocals crossed with that guitar can even get grating at times. They definitely need a lot more grit in their sound.

In my opinion, it works with some songs like sweet 16, fell for you, oh love... But for other songs on Uno and whole Dos (I haven't listened to Tre' yet) previous guitar settings would be better.

yup thats the thing i'm saying all the time. missing the distortion. you dont have to be over the top production wise like on 21stcbd, but just get some distortion back in. i mean i even would like UNO! then ;)

on dos its ok though cause it has this old rock'n'roll vibe in the songs where the guitars fit better than on the poppunk tracks on uno or some on dos and tre.

yeah for me the guitar mainly feels airy to me, it just flies over my head. it works better to me on dos but not as much on uno. probably the biggest emphasis on the guitar is the repitition of the wail in Wow! That's Loud. i havent listened to tre yet but after a few listens i'll see how i feel about it. i still love the songs though :happy:

To me it sounds weird because it's almost clean but at the same time it's distorted on Uno, for example Carpe Diem would sound a lot better with the old Marshall stack. I really love that song but it just needs to be more aggressive.

I love the sound. It's clean but it's still pretty big and crunchy. Its not thin like "Stop, Drop and Roll!!!" and not quiet like "Warning" so I like it (although I love the tone on Warning). In my opinion it fits the songs perfectly, especially stuff like Carpe Diem or X-Kid.

I really enjoyed the Marshall sound they had going. I mean, the new 'clean' sound is good, but it gets old fast. Billie's vocals crossed with that guitar can even get grating at times. They definitely need a lot more grit in their sound.

In my opinion, it works with some songs like sweet 16, fell for you, oh love... But for other songs on Uno and whole Dos (I haven't listened to Tre' yet) previous guitar settings would be better.

It's all been said for me. :)

Now that you mention it, these new albums are kind of devoid of the power they have on their other records. Like people are saying, the new sound does work very well on some songs, but I do miss the older sound. My favorite sound wise would have to be American Idiot. It just sounds so big and epic!

I like both sounds. It just depends on the songs. Some of the songs could have used more distortion for sure. Really depends what they are going for. For example, Amy it is very appropriate and strengthens the song a lot by the simplicity and Beatles vibe to it.

As some of you have mentioned, it works well on some of the songs, but others lack that power they used to have. Fuck Time for instance, is one of those songs who would have been a lot better with some extra distorted guitars in the chorus. Just imagine East Jesus Nowhere with only two clean guitars. That wouldn't really be as hard-hitting.

I think the sound of the instruments on the trilogy albums are phenomenal, but that doesn't say much. American Idiot and 21stCB were praised in reviews for their bold and powerful sound. (Even though 21stCB went a little bit over the top in my opinion - AI was the sweet spot between studio quality while still keeping it raw)

I've noticed that the sound kinda gets old fast. I don't know why, I just have a more difficult time going through the entire album. Maybe it's because there's less contrast between the softer and harder songs?

Maybe I'm just too soft, but I am loving this new clean sound for Green Day. I mean, I've listened to distorted GD for like 16 years so I think this is a nice breath of fresh air. Plus it's always there when I wanna go back and listen to it, which I do all the time.The trilogy's stripped down and relaxed sound is what is so attractive about it to me.

the clean sound only fitted on Dos and some of the Uno songs... I liked their bold and powerful sound as opposed to this clean sound.

Archived