Tre lyrics

Sarcasm

I'm struggling a little with the meaning of Little Boy Named Train because I kept hearing that it was about a transsexual, but it doesn't seem to be for me.

The way I saw it at first was about a Beat Generation kind of kid who doesn't really have a home and just sort of migrates around the world. "Give me directions and I'll get lost again" "I've got no destination." "Named Train" meaning someone who moves around a lot. But now I'm starting to be able to grasp the transsexual thing, but I'm not sure if I'm stretching because I heard that was the meaning or if I'm right. The way I see it, a daisy chain can be a group of people locked like a train in oral sex. If that's the case, distinguishing males and females would be as difficult as it would be pointless. So the imagery sort of lends itself to someone who has no gender identity. Then I thought about the whole "in the trash bin" thing and "I'm always lost... Give me directions I'll get lost again." And I thought maybe he's been put in society's trash bin for being a transsexual and maybe the whole direction thing is about how he can't decide whether to use female traits or male traits and frequently switches. And the whole "Don't know where I come from," Would make sense because I'd imagine being a transsexual can make someone feel like an alien. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use this topic to discuss how "sex drugs and violence DADADADADA, English, math and science" is dumb and stuff.

Also general discussion and posting of the lyrics of Tre.

THANK YOU

Sex Drugs and Violence has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. This album is great, but wow that song... I just can't

I think it has a triple meaning "X-kid" as in someone that was once a kid, "x-kid" as in a person who has died and last but not least "X-Kid" as in a person from Generation X.

"We're too old till we misbehave

We sold our souls and somehow shamed ourselves

So we wait for this judgment day

Write me a letter and send it to my graveyard"

I think this is perhaps the most interesting lyric in the album. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

I was thinking more like generational. Like Gen-X

Dirty Rotten Bastards is subdivided into 5 parts, like JOS

I'm calling this parts:

Yeah (the one with shoplifter melody)

Judgement Day (the very short one)

Julianna Homicide (the crazy one)

Yeah (Reprise)

Carried Away

I think "Demons" would suite it more than "Yeah." Aside from that I like it.

I'm struggling a little with the meaning of Little Boy Named Train because I kept hearing that it was about a transsexual, but it doesn't seem to be for me.

The way I saw it at first was about a Beat Generation kind of kid who doesn't really have a home and just sort of migrates around the world. "Give me directions and I'll get lost again" "I've got no destination." "Named Train" meaning someone who moves around a lot. But now I'm starting to be able to grasp the transsexual thing, but I'm not sure if I'm stretching because I heard that was the meaning or if I'm right. The way I see it, a daisy chain can be a group of people locked like a train in oral sex. If that's the case, distinguishing males and females would be as difficult as it would be pointless. So the imagery sort of lends itself to someone who has no gender identity. Then I thought about the whole "in the trash bin" thing and "I'm always lost... Give me directions I'll get lost again." And I thought maybe he's been put in society's trash bin for being a transsexual and maybe the whole direction thing is about how he can't decide whether to use female traits or male traits and frequently switches. And the whole "Don't know where I come from," Would make sense because I'd imagine being a transsexual can make someone feel like an alien. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

It's not about a transexual it's about a hermaphrodite (Billie explained it in an interview with either Billboard or Rolling Stone...i have it somewhere...GDC probably have scans). Billie's son was in school with someone who's parent is a hermaphrodite and always wanted to be recognised as/felt like a man but had their penis removed as a child. Billie also said the song was self reflective in many ways but didn't elaborate beyond quoting lines...he loves to leave us going he said whaaa?!

It's not about a transexual it's about a hermaphrodite (Billie explained it in an interview with either Billboard or Rolling Stone...i have it somewhere...GDC probably have scans). Billie's son was in school with someone who's parent is a hermaphrodite and always wanted to be recognised as/felt like a man but had their penis removed as a child. Billie also said the song was self reflective in many ways but didn't elaborate beyond quoting lines...he loves to leave us going he said whaaa?!

Thank you! I can see how it would work for a hermaphrodite too. I can see how the song might also just be about feeling out of place and considering Billie has mentioned his bisexuality on more than one occasion he may feel a connection with a hermaphrodite who will likely suffer worse societal isolation than even a bisexual. Really interesting to think about. Do you have any idea if the daisy chain line is referring to the sex act or the wiring because I could see either and I don't want to feel perverted thinking of a big oral sex orgy if that's not really the case...

Thank you! I can see how it would work for a hermaphrodite too. I can see how the song might also just be about feeling out of place and considering Billie has mentioned his bisexuality on more than one occasion he may feel a connection with a hermaphrodite who will likely suffer worse societal isolation than even a bisexual. Really interesting to think about. Do you have any idea if the daisy chain line is referring to the sex act or the wiring because I could see either and I don't want to feel perverted thinking of a big oral sex orgy if that's not really the case...

Yeah...though i don't like to speculate too much it seems that Billie might be referring to feeling akin to a hermaphrodite because of his bisexuality and the feeling of confusion and not really belonging or knowing where he is going in life. It sounds weird to think that he would be having those issues at forty when he has been married for years but then obviously combined with recent events (iheart, rehab etc) the other songs on the trilogy about lust/potential affairs and even the fact that the one Japanese bonus track they released was Coming Clean (with slightly changed lyrics which only made it more intruiging) makes me think that yeah...maybe Billie is having a crisis of sexuality also. As for the daisy chain part...well it could be either...i have no clue. If it was on Dos you know which it would be lmao! Guess i will give it a few more listens and rethink it... now im gonna sound perverted!

"We sold our souls and somehow shamed ourselves"

To me, it sounds a bit like

"We sold our souls and are so ashamed of ourselves"

What does that lyric mean anyway? are Green Day saying they sold out and they are ashamed of it? Or are they talking about signing with Warner in 93?

On Dirty Rotten Bastards, I don't understand the "Julianna" part, but the first half, seems it talks about the band itself.

"Calling all Demons" (Know Your Enemy?)

"Next stop is therapy" (Dearly Beloved)

"We're the retarded, and the broken hearted" (Basket Case)

"The season of misery" (Misery)

"Here's to the wasted, I can almost taste it" (Waiting)

"The rejects, the wastes of times" (Reject / Sassafrass Roots? (this song's about Amanda too right?).

"You'll take it further, get away with murder" (Murder City?)

"And no one here is getting out alive" (Having a blast)

I know a lot of the references are just words, but hey, it makes sense (kind of).

The user "DTH" said some of this first btw.

My favorite lyrics are from SD & V, they remind me of college.

Also the Hunter Thompson quote about sex drugs and violence how they always "worked for him".

Hey all.

I will be posting a scan of the official lyrics sheet once I get home. Gimme about 45 mins

:)

"We sold our souls and somehow shamed ourselves"

To me, it sounds a bit like

"We sold our souls and are so ashamed of ourselves"

What does that lyric mean anyway? are Green Day saying they sold out and they are ashamed of it? Or are they talking about signing with Warner in 93?

obviously they don't think they sold their souls with signin to a mayor label. otherwise they wouldn't have done it and defended it all the time. it's more referring to the critics who always said: "you sold your souls!". but even though billie doesn't think they sold their souls, he says the band sometimes were ashamed because of that step and maybe because they have done a few questionable things in their carreer. it shows that it just wasn't easy for them and maybe still have an inner conflict. to me thats whats part of the DNA of green day (and billie especially). being torn between their ideals, what they really want to do with their music, between mainstream and their attitude. between arenas and between clubs.... to me thats what albums like insomniac (showing all critics that they don't wanna be mainstream), warning (doing what they want and not giving a fuck) and finally the trilogy (arena rock is over, lets restart with 3 albums) show the most.

all of their mayor albums were reactions on their previous albums. the only ones free of it were dookie and american idiot. with dookie no one had expactations and before american idiot everyone thought green day are over. and then they just did what they really were at that time. american idiot was followed by all this stuff which was rectionary again... wearing uniforms, playing a role as the polit punks and finally 21stCBD. and the trilogy was kind of a reaction to that aswell. ditching the politics, where everyone thought what can they do next? they would have to go bigger with every album. but they showed they just wanted to have fun with their music and not force everythign to be big. but at the same time they thought they cant go back from ambitious albums to a single easy pop punk album. no, even though with going a step back in their sound they wanted to top evrrything done before.

and now were the trilogy isn't getting the hype and billies problems (which reflect this nearly shizophrenic character of green day and billie), i think the next album will show what they really are again, like american idiot did after warning. don't get me wrong: i love nearly every album (we dont talk about uno), but i think in a phase like after warning without pressure, without expactations they can really show what they are capable of.

you may say thats overinterpretating, but thats the way i feel about green day.

Oh my god. I just realized Drama Queen is about a young girl getting her first period...

I mean.. DRAMA QUEEN.

Daddy's little bundle of joy, is old enough to bleed now.

Oh my god. I just realized Drama Queen is about a young girl getting her first period...

I mean.. DRAMA QUEEN.

Daddy's little bundle of joy, is old enough to bleed now.

No. It's a metaphor. It means she's old enough to live her life on her own. Or something like that. I can't find the picture, but back in 2009 Billie explained the meaning to Drama Queen. It's not about a girl getting her period.

Personally I think the song is partially about Gloria.

No. It's a metaphor. It means she's old enough to live her life on her own. Or something like that. I can't find the picture, but back in 2009 Billie explained the meaning to Drama Queen. It's not about a girl getting her period.

Personally I think the song is partially about Gloria.

But dude...

Come on. Let me have this.

It fits so perfectly.

Well the soda line makes more sense with bitters in front because now there are two drinks in the line and they sort of carry that hangover feeling.

But dude...

Come on. Let me have this.

It fits so perfectly.

It's purposefully ambiguous. It's not about a girl getting her period, but those connotations are necessarily existent.

I did some detective work and found an interesting fact regarding the lyrics for Gabriella.

pgVMW.jpg

LEFT: Screenshot of Gabriella lyrics from 'Quatro' RIGHT: Official lyrics for Amanda

Looks like some lyrics from Gabriella made it into the bridge of Amanda.

Fun fact.

Now discuss the implications of this :)

I did some detective work and found an interesting fact regarding the lyrics for Gabriella.

pgVMW.jpg

LEFT: Screenshot of Gabriella lyrics from 'Quatro' RIGHT: Official lyrics for Amanda

Looks like some lyrics from Gabriella made it into the bridge of Amanda.

Fun fact.

Now discuss the implications of this :)

I think it's entirely possible that the name "Amanda" isn't actually the real name of this particular ex-girlfriend that Billie's been singing about, and maybe he was deciding between calling her Amanda and Gabriella. Or the fact that real and imaginary exes all have the same emotional pulls and elicit the same reactions from him anyway, so he doesn't even need to differentiate and he can apply whatever emotion or lyric from one to another (same as Ashley).

I thought Billie said "butt sex" in Brutal Love, but I figured that was wrong and I'm glad that it's actually "bad sex" haha :D

Well, looks like it IS soda in Brutal Love. At least it makes more sense with "bitters" but sometimes I just really don't get Billie's lyrics :lol:

On Dirty Rotten Bastards, I don't understand the "Julianna" part, but the first half, seems it talks about the band itself.

"Calling all Demons" (Know Your Enemy?)

"Next stop is therapy" (Dearly Beloved)

"We're the retarded, and the broken hearted" (Basket Case)

"The season of misery" (Misery)

"Here's to the wasted, I can almost taste it" (Waiting)

"The rejects, the wastes of times" (Reject / Sassafrass Roots? (this song's about Amanda too right?).

"You'll take it further, get away with murder" (Murder City?)

"And no one here is getting out alive" (Having a blast)

I know a lot of the references are just words, but hey, it makes sense (kind of).

The user "DTH" said some of this first btw.

Write me a letter and send it to my grave - Letterbomb

Archived